50 In Faith/ Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Seasons Change, But His Love Remains

Seasons Change

*photo credit

I need something stronger than my own resolve,
something trials and floods cannot quench.
Put that fiery seal of your love on my heart,
let it keep me strong ’til the end

Cause seasons have changed and I’m aware,
passion is not enough.
Now that I know my weakness Lord,
Oh how I need your never dying love. – Jon Thurlow

I wish you could have been sitting in the prayer room with me on Wednesday morning during our staff prayer room time.  We were supposed to be studying a certain portion of scripture, yet as soon as I sat down, the words to this song grabbed a hold of my heart and I was over come with such a deep awareness of His presence.  All I could do was sit in my chair and cry.

I had a revelation from the Lord in those moments, that the passion in my heart for God, or for the things of the Lord, are not often enough to move me forward to the next season. You see, I’ve been stuck. It’s painful, but at the same time I am fully coming to accept that things are different.  I want to fully embrace this season.  In the surrender, my heart has been moved closer to the Lord.  Yet at the same time, as I am faced with my weakness and my own lack, it makes me want to turn and run, leaving the possibilities of God in a trail of dust behind me.

I’ll give you an example.  I know that I am supposed to begin work on my second book. It’s already laid out for the most part, just some minor editing and a few re-writes.  I don’t feel as if I have the passion or energy to see it through to completion.  But I know that it’s not the work itself that I am dreading, but the journey.  There are many things that I feel called to do, or that must be done, but sometimes the journey is just hard.  I want to look ahead in faith, to reach for my dreams.  But the questions plaque me:  What if I’m wrong? What if I didn’t hear God in this? What if I exert all of my energy and fail? What if this is my desire, not God’s?

I don’t have the passion for the next thing right now.  Not just for the book — laundry, schooling, housework, my job, ministry — it’s all lacking zeal and passion, and I’m striving to find it.  Some would say that if there is no passion, then perhaps I should lay it all down, surrender it all, and walk away.  But I believe God can rekindle my passion. I simply must rest in His love and trust Him in the journey.

[Tweet “We spend too much time looking ahead and forget He has gone before us to prepare the way.”]

The seasons have changed and passion is not enough.  But I do know that His love will carry me through.  When I lay hold of this truth, it will bring into the light that which I am supposed to do, the way in which I should go.  His love is all I need to get me from here to there.

And speaking of seasons changing, I am grateful Spring is finally here!

How are the seasons treating you?  Do you find you lack passion and zeal for the things you long to pursue?  What is God showing you about this season of your life?

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Denise
    March 21, 2014 at 4:30 am

Amen my sweet friend.
    Denise recently posted..Praying for Eddie-Day 17

March 21, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thank you for stopping by Denise!

child of God
    March 21, 2014 at 5:32 am

Oh hon, the love of our amazing Father will carry you through. His presence washing over you will fill you and renew you.

Blessings friend.
    child of God recently posted..Journey in Obedience

March 21, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Thank you my friend. I appreciate you!

Chris Malkemes
    March 21, 2014 at 6:03 am

Don’t worry timing is everything.
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..The Gift of Helplessness

March 21, 2014 at 11:18 pm

AMEN to that my sweet friend. Thanks for that reminder.

Ashley
    March 21, 2014 at 6:21 am

Seasons do change, and I loved loved loved these words. This is one of my favorites by you! Love you!
    Ashley recently posted..Joy {Five Minute Friday}

March 21, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Oh Ashley, you make me smile! Praying you have a blessed weekend.

June
    March 21, 2014 at 7:30 am

He is a light unto our path, and sometimes that means He is only lighting one cobblestone at a time. Baby steps, Barbie. Our stride seeks to be long, but sometimes He calls us to rest in Him and take baby steps. Praying for you.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . hope

March 21, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Mmmm, that’s so good June. Baby steps….yes, this is where I am. Blessings!

Rosann
    March 21, 2014 at 10:18 am

Sweet friend, I am continually in awe when I stop over here to read and learn you and I are going through many of the same “things” right now. I’ve been so fatigued and run down lately that I haven’t had the energy I usually have. I’ve been lacking motivation to write. I’ve been wanting to outline my next book, but have felt inadequate and not really sure about what to write next, even though I have a gazillion ideas written down. Nothing is jumping at me – lighting my fire. On one hand, I feel like I just want to live a normal everyday life. On the other hand, I know better. I know that is not what God has brought me through all the trial and hardship for – to sit idle? No way. Not His plan. It can’t be! That’s not how He works or Who He is. So like you, I’m sitting in His presence, reflecting, learning, waiting, wondering.

I do think I’ve uncovered the issue (or at least a fix) for the lack of energy/fatigue feelings. I started carrying around a tall plastic tumbler with ice water and slices of lemon in it. I’m forcing myself to drink as much water as I can all day, every day. I also started taking fish oil supplements with my daily vitamin. I read that fish oil (omega 3, in particular) goes straight to the brain, relieving brain fog, giving extra energy, focus, etc. I’ve been doing this for two weeks straight now and I have to admit I’m feeling a noticeable difference in energy levels, mood, and mental clarity.
    Rosann recently posted..When Your Husband Loses His Job, it’s Important to Keep an Attitude of Love

March 21, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I’ll be praying for you Rosann. I know this seasons all too well. And yes, I do believe I walk around dehydrated most days. Thanks for the healthy tips. Blessings!

Beth
    March 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I’m grateful spring is here too! I’m praying for you, Barbie. But love how you are continually leaning in and trusting Him. I’m right there with you. He has plans for both of us. {Hugs}
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness (Vol. 20)

March 21, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Yes, my friend. He has good things up ahead. Can’t wait to watch this next season unfold.

Gentle Joy
    March 21, 2014 at 6:23 pm

This is true and so good to think about as we change seasons………I am so glad that Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Thank you for posting and also for hosting the hop. Gentle Joy
    Gentle Joy recently posted..Sunrise/Sunset

March 22, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I too am thankful that the Lord never changes. Thanks for stopping by!

Mary Geisen
    March 21, 2014 at 6:42 pm

As Jennie Allen would say in her book “Restless” I am in the parking lot season of my life. I am in a holding pattern, however, I know that God has so much planned for my near future. I am on the edge of the next step and God is calling me to be bold. The twist is that I am not exactly sure what the next step looks like. Trusting God and His best laid plans is my calling but taking the time to prepare myself is what I need to concentrate on now. Thank you for the link up and the insight into following our passions even when we lack the zeal. Blessings for a happy weekend!

March 22, 2014 at 7:46 pm

“the parking lot season of my life”, that’s exactly how it feels. Thanks for sharing Mary!

Nannette and the Sweetheart
    March 21, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Barbie, if I could come to wherever you are, we would grab a cup of coffee and just hold each other’s hands! I am living in your season as well, friend. My heart hurts sometimes…I know where I am supposed to be…I am THERE even…but I am overwhelmed with the journey. Yet, as you are finding out, these are the precious times in our walk with Jesus. He is so close, so present and so ready to show us His love, His comfort and His Almighty Power! We just have to keep putting one foot in front of another and say, “Here I am, Lord, send me.” He WILL restore, He WILL renew you…in His time. ♥
    Nannette and the Sweetheart recently posted..Away from the presence of the Lord…

March 22, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Oh Nannette, it would be so wonderful to sit and chat with you. Thank you for stopping by to encourage my heart. Blessings!

Elizabeth
    March 21, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Really my friend, you are amazing. A second book! God’s love is evident in and though you. We all see it.
    Elizabeth recently posted..The trouble with Jonah, and me too…

March 22, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Elizabeth! It’s all His work and His timing. Thank you for your support and friendship.

Dolly@Soulstops
    March 21, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Barbie,
    Thank you for sharing your heart…I feel God calling me to rest..and maybe, for me, that may mean taking a break from social media for a week…I’m not on it that much but I need to listen to what God is saying to me, and writing my manifesto was an intense time, so I need to take time to stop and let Him refill me with His Love…((hugs))
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..When you visit the Palm Springs Art Museum (a surprise…)

March 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm

That sounds like a great plan Dolly. I haven’t stopped social media altogether, but I’ve scaled back a lot. It shows in my numbers, even on my blog, but really, none of that matters to me. I write for His glory in His timing. Blessings!

Amy Jung
    March 21, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Keep leaning into what He is passionate about and it will fuel all that He calls you to do.
    Amy Jung recently posted..On the Edge of Spring

March 22, 2014 at 7:49 pm

AMEN Amy!

Joanne Viola
    March 22, 2014 at 4:32 am

Praying for you, Barbie!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Cookies, Shoes & the Cross

March 22, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Thank you Joanne. I so appreciate your prayers.

Carrie
    March 22, 2014 at 6:18 am

I struggle too. The Lord is trying to teach me trust and patience. And I am a stubborn student! I’m overwhelmed on so many levels that I am stuck, not sure where to begin. So I don’t start anywhere! Brilliant, huh?! {grin} I know what my heart desires but for some reason the message hasn’t reached my body to get me moving on it. One day at a time…You are in my prayers!
    Carrie recently posted..Never Say Never

March 22, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Oh friend, such similar journeys. I am praying for you to as well. May He give you sweet rest and encourage your heart.

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    March 22, 2014 at 7:59 am

Awww…sweet friend…how blessed that moment was in the prayer room. God is so good.

I have two thoughts, Barbie. One…we can fall into the trap of doing or not doing based on our feelings. Walking in the power of God is based on who he is and not on anything we feel or even our energy level. (That is a reminder to me too.)

I know that place you are in. Have you looked at the list you’ve written here that identifies your day? As women we often live on an adrenalin high. I know, I got very sick living in that place. We make the mistake of ‘doing’ too much. When you look at your list, you say, I can’t *not* do any of those things. True. But, behind or next to each of those things are activities that sap your strength. Are you building margin into your day? Are you taking care of yourself? Are you going for a walk? One thing that helps me is to take a few mile walk in a natural area…a place where I can notice God’s handiwork and revel in it. Breathing in fresh air and moving my body are a key component in this. Coming home from the walk, it’s as if I pushed the re-set button. In those moments, undistracted by the busyness of life, the Holy Spirit ministers to my spirit. For you it might be something entirely different.

Another part of this self-care is eating whole foods and not processed foods, getting 8 hours sleep, and eliminating sugar from our diets in addition to the exercise I mentioned by walking. As busy women, with lots of stress in our lives, we are taxing our adrenal glands. A tired adrenal gland will also give you the malaise you describe. And Barbie…I learned this the hard way in my ‘past’ life. I’m still recovering. You can only do ‘this dance’ so long. No matter how much time we spend in the word and prayer, our lifestyles need careful attention. And as women, it is so easy to sacrifice ourselves for the important others or ministries in our lives. I learned that it doesn’t honor God. It actually does quite the opposite. Oh what a lie I believed for too long.

Praying you sense God’s goodness and grace in extra measure today. May you find fresh rest in him. [hugs]
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..Simple, Dramatic White Mantel for Spring with Color Pops

March 22, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Diane, you have so much insight into my struggles. I would really love to know more about your journey to whole eating, as I’ve been praying about that for a long time and I’m scared to even begin. But yes, I do too much and do not take care of myself. Thank you for your encouragement.

bluecottonmemory
    March 22, 2014 at 8:02 am

I understand that. I1) learned long ago that when God gives me something to do, it doesn’t mean it should have been done yesterday or now. It means He will take me there. 2) I am learning now that maybe I know what He wants me to do but I am not to be focused on the finished goal – I am to be focused on the now part of the journey.

It’s like what some people call “writer’s block” – I call God wanting me to see something, learn something before He gives me what to write. It is not a failure – it is timing. There’s a story I am to write – I have researched it, I have thought in detail about it – but when it is time to write it – He will pour it into me and I will pour it out.

Maybe right now you are just to live, see, love in the now – and when He releases you to revise and edit – it will be like a water over the falls – a pouring out!

Blessings to you Barbie in the now!!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..The Medicinal Properties of Well Water

March 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

YOU have truly blessed me today with your words. Love you!

Laurie Collett
    March 22, 2014 at 8:13 am

Praise God for the seasons He has created, so that we can look forward to new life in spring after the bleakness of winter. Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..What Do You Treasure Most?

March 22, 2014 at 7:55 pm

AMEN Laurie! Such a great reminder.

Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life
    March 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Barbie, it’s ok to wait and rest and wait for the green light. Right now, maybe He just wants you to breathe in and out.

Hugs 🙂

March 22, 2014 at 7:55 pm

And breathing is something I don’t do too well these days. Thanks Lyli.

Sandra Heska King
    March 22, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I know these feelings. Just be. still. my friend. He’ll rekindle the passion for the next step in the journey. I’m certain of it.
    Sandra Heska King recently posted..40 Words of Lent 2014: Day 19 (Scripture Sunday)

March 22, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thanks so much Sandra. You bless me!

Jean Wise
    March 23, 2014 at 11:12 am

Very grateful for spring. too. Lovely photo – I pinned it and great quote too.
    Jean Wise recently posted..Thirsty for Gushing Water – Lectio Divina

March 23, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Thanks Jean!

Mary Geisen
    March 23, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Hi Barbie! I’m trying out leaving a quick comment to see if my Commentluv works! Thanks for all your help with this!
    Mary
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Voices

March 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Yay! It worked! 🙂

Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine
    March 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Barbie…”I simply must rest in His love and trust Him in the journey.” I love this truth you shared. It’s what we all must do in every season we live through. Thank you for the reminder and for the link up. Praying you have a sweet week resting in arms of Jesus this week.
    Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine recently posted..O Lord, Never Let Me Forget Your Goodness

March 23, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for stopping by Naomi! Have a blessed week.

Holly Barrett
    March 23, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Oh, you have given me much to consider dear friend. I’m overwhelmed right now with some things I should be writing…and finishing the rough draft of my book and starting the editing process. I realized through your post that it is the journey that I’m dreading and that has me stalled in my path. Thanks for reminding me that He has already prepared the way. It is simply my job to follow through on what He has called me to do. Much love!

March 23, 2014 at 8:57 pm

It is taking those first steps along the journey that are the hardest. But I know He meets us there, on that road. I will be keeping you and your book in my prayers!

Rebekah
    March 23, 2014 at 6:28 pm

His love will carry you through. Yes!
    Rebekah recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Joy