36 In Faith/ Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: When Silence Speaks

I’ve been reflecting on what God is teaching me in the silence.  It’s not an easy place to be, where words are few and you grasp for the right things to say, write and feel.

And just when I fear the silence, He reminds me that silence speaks.  It’s voice is loud and clear, but I must be intentional in the seeking.

solitary oak tree in the sunset

I wonder if I am growing in this season.  When my hearts feels as if it may shatter into a million pieces, I am reminded that He is able to put me back together again.

Some things only grow in the dessert.  Although I am hopeful that this season will soon come to an end, if it means I will grow closer to Him, here I will remain.

Silence speaks.  And I am listening.

Silence says, “Come up here”.

Silence says, “Lean in a little closer”.

Silence says, “I am right here”.

Silence says, “Draw near to me”.

In the silence, His voice is loud and clear, beckoning me to come, to sit at His feet and partake of His table.

I am here Lord.  Let your voice be heard in the silence.

How are you hearing His voice in the silence?  What is He saying to you?

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Cathy
    June 21, 2014 at 1:27 am

I pray the silence will soon be over. Claiming Psalm 40:31 –” But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings of eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.
    Cathy recently posted..5 Ways To Thrive With God

June 21, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thank you dear Cathy. Have a blessed week.

Joanne Viola
    June 21, 2014 at 3:31 am

Barbie, sometimes I think it is in the silence that He speaks the loudest. May you continue to hold on & know … the answer is on the way! Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Moses, Pageants, Tea Cups & More

June 21, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Thankful for your friendship Joanne! Have a blessed weekend.

Heather
    June 21, 2014 at 4:26 am

In the silence …
    we hear clearer every thing so as to just listen with intent. It is some times for clarity within all the screaming voices that life throws, I believe, that silence can be a gift. I pray it is a gift for you, Barbie. I read your posts all along and really see a gift walk. I hope your heart does. ❤️
    Love ya, Sister.
    Heather recently posted..Jesus In the Mattress

June 21, 2014 at 9:19 pm

“A gift walk”, yes. This life is a gift, and every moment, whether in silence or loudness, is a gift. Thank you my friend.

Carol Longenecker Hiestand
    June 21, 2014 at 5:33 am

I have a post brewing for after this weekend of the second memorial service for my dad. My 2 1/2 year old grandson would come up to my dad, and just gaze in to his eyes. He would just stay there, neither one of them saying anything, just being in the presence of each other. It is a picture to me of how we are to come into God’s presence. so much was communicated in that gaze between the two of them. total love and acceptance. May you find the same thing in the silence.
    Carol Longenecker Hiestand recently posted..Making it easier for your kids!

June 21, 2014 at 9:20 pm

That’s so good Carol, exactly how I need to be, gazing in the eyes of my heavenly Father. Thank you for your encouragement.

Mary Geisen
    June 21, 2014 at 5:37 am

Beautiful! Your quote above that says “silence is where presence is cultivated” is perfect. In the silence I am blessed with more words than in the noisiness of everyday life. Too much clutter does to allow for truth to enter in! Praying for you as you keep your heart open for all God’s work and truth to enter and take up residence. Blessed as always by your beautiful writing! Happy Weekend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Release

June 21, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Love you Mary!

~ linda
    June 21, 2014 at 9:56 am

This seems, no…it IS… what this woman is crying for more…the stillness to sit with Him and have less of me. I need the silence inside so that I can sit in peace and quiet with Him more and more. So glad I came by.
    ~ linda recently posted..Praising My LORD with His Words

June 21, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Bless you Linda. Thank you for stopping by.

Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes)
    June 21, 2014 at 10:24 am

Another beautiful post Barbie! My heart resonates with great familiarity to the “million pieces” and the speaking He has done in the silence. Standing with you sister as the Lord speaks and touches all those fractures with His loving embrace. He is still doing so for me and I see His merciful and tender arms around you sweet sister-in-Christ. Blessings to you this weekend.
    Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes) recently posted..Snapshots: learning & the Declare Conference {June 18, 2014}

June 21, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Thank you Jolene. Blessed to walk alongside you on this journey.

denise
    June 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Prayers going up for you.

June 21, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Thank you Denise!

Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine
    June 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Barbie….This is so true: “In the silence, His voice is loud and clear.” I have seen Him teaching you so much in your silence journey. And best yet…you have shared with your readers what He is teaching you to our blessing, too. Thank you for that and for hosting. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine recently posted..Jonah Study: Get On Your Knees

June 21, 2014 at 9:22 pm

You encourage my heart Naomi. Thank you!

Denise
    June 22, 2014 at 2:10 am

I love the quote “Deepest communion with God is beyond words, on the other side of silence.” (Madeleine L’Engle) When we find quiet, undistracted time throughout our day to gather our thoughts and listen to God’s loving words, we have the opportunity to give more value and support to the things that matter most.

Wishing you many moments of beautiful conversation in His love and grace my friend! ♥
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Fail to Succeed

June 22, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Thank you so much Denise!

Holly Barrett
    June 22, 2014 at 4:56 am

I know the silence must feel deafening to you, Barbie. I pray that as you lean in, you hear the only Voice that matters and you continue in obedience there. Just imagine the things He will give you to say when He releases you once again. Much love to you and have a blessed Lord’s Day.
    Holly Barrett recently posted..All God’s gifts

June 22, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for stopping by Holly. Praying you have a beautiful week!

Rosann
    June 22, 2014 at 7:10 am

Still praying for you, my friend. Still there with you in the silence, too. Every once in a while I become inspired with words to write, but mostly God has me focused on being in the moment with my loved ones. It’s a little scary though – not having words. I sometimes worry that my creativity is long gone, never to return. I’m praying that’s not true. I have always loved writing. But what do I have to say to the world that really matters? So like you, I continue to bask in His presence and learn what it is to be present.
    Rosann recently posted..How to Really Celebrate Dad

June 22, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I’ve been thinking about you my friend. Praying you’ve enjoyed your time with your family. I too worry my creativity is all gone. But I know that Lord has a purpose for us both in this crazy world of writing. It may not look like it has in the past. But I know both your words and mine were meant to go forth and breathe life and hope to others. Hugs!

Ginger Harrington
    June 22, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Even in your struggles with silence, I am blessed by the transparency you show in sharing your heart. God is growing profound depth through silence. May your time of silence become an oasis of revelation.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..21 Ways to Refresh Your Spiritual Routine

June 22, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Thank you my dear friend. Have a blessed weekend.

Alita
    June 23, 2014 at 2:51 am

Thank you for this open and honest and sensitive blog. It touched me so.
    Alita recently posted..Ik wil zo graag dat mijn kind …

June 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by Alita!

Adoption Mama
    June 24, 2014 at 5:45 am

Barbie, Thanks for the reminder that God is near when all is still and quiet. Blessings as you seek Him first.
    Adoption Mama recently posted..A New Look

June 27, 2014 at 12:20 am

Thanks for stopping by sweet friend!

Beth
    June 24, 2014 at 10:24 am

“Although I am hopeful that this season will soon come to an end, if it means I will grow closer to Him, here I will remain.” My prayer is that you keep trusting Him . . . listening to Him and growing in Him. I see beauty in the words you share here, Barbie. They are honest and raw. I know this is a hard season and I continue to hold you close in prayer. Love you. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Get to Know You Monday (Vol. 4)

June 27, 2014 at 12:22 am

Love you so much! Praying you are doing well?

Diana
    June 24, 2014 at 4:06 pm

“I wonder if I am growing in this season. When my hearts feels as if it may shatter into a million pieces, I am reminded that He is able to put me back together again.”

Wow! How much your words parallel my exact thoughts in recent months! Since my son’s death in November 2013, I have this huge silence in my heart, as if part of it has been vaporized. I have to continually remind myself that God can “put me back together” (my heart) if I will just trust Him during “this season.”

Prayers to you, friend… may God show you the good in the silence and help you through this season of learning to always be in His presence. Blessings.
    Diana recently posted..Ups and downs… and really down… and up and down again

June 27, 2014 at 12:23 am

Oh Diane, I cannot imagine the weight of such pain. But yes, God will put you back together again. Hugs!

Ann
    June 27, 2014 at 8:56 am

Wow, Barbie. i’m just getting around to reading this post, but this is something that’s close to my heart, lately. Silence….it definitely isn’t an easy place to be. Humans usually are ones to want(even demand) answers from God. I’m in the process of writing a post for my blog on knowing when God speaks to us/how we know….especially when He’s silent. If you have some more insight on the subject, feel free to write/email me. Thanks for sharing!

In His L❤ve,