36 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Finish

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and a beautiful community of writers at the Five Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes for the joy of writing.  No editing or backtracking necessary.  No need to be perfect.  This is where I get to write, letting it all go, allowing the words tucked away deep inside my heart to find their voice.

Finish

Open old brown covered book with blue lavender flower on top, selective focus

It’s not about how our stories began, but how we finish them.  Having struggled through some things in my life, I believed for many years that I was responsible to end the story well.  To have the happy ending.  To dance the fairy-tale dance into the pages of history. Well, not really.

There is One who is responsible for the outcome of our stories.  The Creator God, He writes our stories.  Interwoven with our own choices, good and bad, and our desire to finish the race well, are moments, lots and lots of moments of grace and strength and forgiveness given along the way for wrong turns and misguided journeys.  He reminds me that He has not called me to live this story in the lime light, perfectly, without spot or blemish.  For sometimes the imperfections are the beauty, and those blemishes on the pages of our stories are what draw others to Him.

I want to finish my story well, to run the race to earn the prize.  Do I want my story to have lasting impact on others?  Perhaps.  I would love to know that a part of my story changed a life for the better.  But what it all boils down to is am I living the story that God called me to live, fearlessly and courageously?

Not all stories will end happily, by the world’s standards, but I can promise you when held in the hands of the Maker, our stories will birth everlasting joy, turning mourning into dancing and sorrow into joy.  Write your story, my friends, and let the pages be read by those who need to Hear His voice and know His love.  And at the end of your story, He will look you in the eyes and say,

“Well done, my good and faithful servant.”

Five Minute Friday

*photo credit

Debbie Putman
    July 25, 2014 at 12:21 am

Your Five Minute Friday neighbor again…we must be on a similar schedule. “I want to finish my story well, to run the race to earn the prize. Do I want my story to have lasting impact on others? Perhaps. I would love to know that a part of my story changed a life for the better. But what it all boils down to is am I living the story that God called me to live, fearlessly and courageously?” exactly what I long for as well. Thank you for sharing today.
    Debbie Putman recently posted..Finish

July 26, 2014 at 7:54 am

Thank you for stopping by Debbie. I hope to get over to your blog later today!

Nannette and the Sweetheart
    July 25, 2014 at 3:20 am

“For sometimes the imperfections are the beauty, and those blemishes on the pages of our stories are what draw others to Him.” That is a “tweet-worthy” quote, friend! Love all of this…I also hope I can impact others along the way, I included the words of Jesus in mine today too. Isn’t that what we are living for? “Well done…”
    Well done, Barbie!
    Nannette and the Sweetheart recently posted..Slow and Steady wins the race…

July 26, 2014 at 7:54 am

Thank you Nannette. I read this quote over and over and it is so powerful. Blessings!

Melissa
    July 25, 2014 at 4:21 am

Amen! I was going to highlight the same quote that Nannette mentioned. Very well said! It’s so true that sometimes our imperfections are what draws others to God. A friend and I talked about that not long ago, and she said that maybe He allows us to retain our flaws because it leads others to think, “If God can do this for her, maybe He can do it for me, too.”

Stopping by from FMF.
    Melissa recently posted..Finishing Well #fmfparty

July 26, 2014 at 7:55 am

Sometimes I think the only way some people will ever see Jesus is through our flawed, human nature. You are exactly right, He does it for others, and He can do it for us! AMEN!

Karen Brown
    July 25, 2014 at 5:09 am

Barbie- Your words moved me. So often I feel like I am responsible for my own endings. How quickly I forget that I am not authoring my own life. I love this, “when held in the hands of the Maker, our stories will birth everlasting joy, turning mourning into dancing and sorrow into joy. ” Amen! Thank you for this beautifully written encouragement. Your place is one of my favorites to visit. #fmf
    Karen Brown recently posted..Finish

July 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Thank you Karen. I am so thankful you were blessed by these words.

richelle @ our wright-ing pad
    July 25, 2014 at 6:58 am

lovely, encouraging words today. Thank you!
    richelle @ our wright-ing pad recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ …Ways to Say Goodbye

July 26, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thank you for stopping by Richelle!

Sarah Knepper
    July 25, 2014 at 8:05 am

Yes Barbie, it matters how we finish. But thankfully we have the One there waiting for us. Beautiful post!!
    Sarah Knepper recently posted..The Power of Story

July 26, 2014 at 9:24 pm

AMEN! Yes, He waits for us at the finish line!

Holly Barrett
    July 25, 2014 at 8:20 am

“For sometimes the imperfections are the beauty, and those blemishes on the pages of our stories are what draw others to Him.” Yes, yes, and a hundred times yes. Thankful for this reminder that He uses all of it to help me finish well and to encourage others too. Lovely post, Barbie!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Finish

July 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Thank you so much Holly. I am always blessed by your visits.

Angie Ryg
    July 25, 2014 at 8:46 am

Yes, He is responsible for the outcome. Not me. No matter how I strive for that, thank you for this reminder that He is in control and I am blessed to just be able to join Him in His work!
    Angie Ryg recently posted..FINISH – {Five Minute Friday}

July 26, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I am continually having to place my life in His very capable hands. Thanks for visiting Angie!

Ginger Harrington
    July 25, 2014 at 2:47 pm

You are running with beauty and grace. I love the way you share the secret that it is His story. When you said, It’s not about how our stories began, but how we finish them,” I got a chill of truth called grace.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..The Friday Random: Posting, An Award, and 7 Things about Me

July 26, 2014 at 9:30 pm

You encourage my heart so. Love you friend!

Rebecca Evans
    July 25, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Beautiful Barbie. A breath of fresh air. Your words blessed me today. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

July 26, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Thankful you were blessed Rebecca!

Jennifer Peterson
    July 25, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Awww, I love this. And amen! So true isn’t by the world’s standards our stories may not end well but we know they will end well in heaven. Love you !!

July 26, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Love you back my friend!

Alia Joy
    July 25, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Oh yes, the divine accolade. To finish well and hear those words. It all gets so much clearer when that’s all I’m hoping for. To run with fixed eyes. Love you, friend. So glad you are telling your story, even if some parts aren’t pretty.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Finish

July 26, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I won’t hide from the ugly parts anymore my friend. I am realizing that there are others who need to read those imperfect words to spur them on to the finish line. Love you!

Alia Joy
    July 25, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Also, I love the new look here. Good job!

July 26, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Thank you! I really do love it. And this was the first theme that was easy to work with and I was able to install a proper header. I think it will be a keeper, at least for a while.

bluecottonmemory
    July 25, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Nobody writes a story like He does – He comes up with details in the story I could never have imagined on my own. So glad we’ve put Him in charge of weaving our life story!!!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..after slamming the car door

July 26, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Thank you my friend!

Cathy
    July 25, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Barbie, I am someone who likes everything to end or finish neatly and so many times I have had to just throw up my hands and either laugh or just cry my eyeballs out. If you know what I mean. It just wasn’t going to happen. I pray one day God gives me the strength and grace to finish well…no matter what it looks like. Great post! Blesssings on your weekend my friend.
    Cathy recently posted..Amazed At His Plan!

July 26, 2014 at 9:37 pm

That is my prayer too Cathy!

Kelsea
    July 26, 2014 at 9:31 am

What a beautiful post! There is so much peace and comfort in knowing that God is writing our stories. I don’t have to constantly strive, or try to desperately plan and hope everything turns out because He is the author of our lives.”For sometimes the imperfections are the beauty, and those blemishes on the pages of our stories are what draw others to Him.” I absolutely loved this line! There is so much truth in this. Thank you for this reminder! Stopping from Five Minute Fridays!
    Kelsea recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Finish

July 26, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Kelsea, thanks for stopping by!

Lisa @ FSL
    July 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm

“For sometimes the imperfections are the beauty, and those blemishes on the pages of our stories are what draw others to Him”

this is beauty friend.. pure beauty!

July 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Thank you Lisa. This quote is one I’ve been pondering all day. I wrote it, but am still realizing the impact.

Pam@Writing...Apples of Gold
    July 26, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Beautiful truths here, Barbie. I love the words you used to express it! I believe you are touching lives and making a difference here! 🙂

July 26, 2014 at 9:47 pm