15 In Community/ Writing & Blogging

Lift Your Voices

Life_your_voice

Ever since I was a little girl, I loved to sing.  I can’t say that I was gifted with the most beautiful of voices, but I can carry a tune. And I am grateful that I get the opportunity to sing on worship teams at church.  I recognize that my voice is best heard in a group setting, where I have other, stronger and more gifted voices to help give me the confidence I need to step out to be heard.

Writing is sort of like that too, at least for me.  I’ve always loved to write. When I was a teenager, I wrote to myself, mostly in poetry, about my feelings and my deepest, and often darkest, secrets.  My English teachers always told me I had a gift with words, and I thought after high school I would become a journalist. However, that didn’t happen, and the love of writing sort of disappeared as life moved on.

Six years ago this month, my Pastor started a blog, and encouraged me to begin blogging.  I did, and it took off with full force.  For over five years I wrote diligently as God would download messages from his heart to mine to share with you.  I shared my hopes, dreams, losses and joys.  God, and you, walked me through publishing my first book and then, out of nowhere, the writing stopped. I lost my voice. Call it exhaustion, lack of inspiration, feelings of overwhelm, PTSD; no matter how I look at it, my voice became silent as the words failed to come to life.

I was told the other day by someone, who I know and respect, that they had a hard time finding my voice on my blog.  For the last six months, my voice has been hidden between the voices of others, but instead of allowing this comment to push me deeper into not writing, I allowed the Lord to reveal some things to my heart about this season.

My voice, although mostly silent, is being given time to rest, held up by the voices of others. I have had the honor of hosting some of my beautiful writer friends in my space over the last few months.  These beautiful hearts have come together to encourage my own heart, and yours, with their words.

Honestly, “bringing all glory to God” through the writing, it’s not just about me.  I never aspired to be a soloist singing my own song.  I do better in groups, surrounded by two, three, several others to encourage me and take me higher.  As this blog has been dedicated to the Lord, to be used for His glory, I welcome the input of others, who aspire to encourage my heart and yours with their stories, all for His glory.

It may be hard for someone to know who Barbie, the writer is, if they were to visit my blog now.  They will find my thoughts nestled between those of others.  But that’s okay.  We are all working together to bring you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace.  We are sisters in Christ, all sharing our stories.  I do not hold tightly to this blog.  It can be taken from me at any moment.  I want to steward well what God has given to me.  If that means allowing others the opportunity to write here, so that I can rest, than that is what I will continue to do.

The bottom line is, we need each other.  Our voices get tired, and demand rest. And in those seasons when we feel as if we have no words to convey the innermost thoughts of our own hearts, that’s when we must come along side each other, lifting up our voices, to encourage, exhort and call one another up.

A choir is made up of many voices, including yours and mine. If one by one all go silent then all that will be left are the soloists. Vera Nazarian – The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

My voice is just one in a sea of voices. In the quietness, I am learning to lay back and allow Him to do the work. Whether it comes from my own heart, or that of another, He will be glorified.

Linking up with my beautiful writer friend Beth for Three Word Wednesday, on a Thursday, because life must not be rushed.

Mary
    July 3, 2014 at 6:18 am

Sweet Barbie, I so enjoy your writing, but I understand about no words, no voice…being silent when that is the direction you are led. I think of you often and pray for you. I agree with everything you’ve said here and if it is His will, I pray you get your words back…soon. Hugs to you my friend.
    Mary recently posted..What I’m reading…

July 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Mary, I so appreciate you. Thank you for your continued prayers during this season.

Amy Jung
    July 3, 2014 at 6:48 am

Barbie–there are blogs that I know will ALWAYS speak to my heart. They tend to be blogs where the writers are real, open and help the reader be the same. Yours is one of those blogs. I see your heart and hear your voice here with no problem. You may invite others to write but it is your heart and voice that calls them to this and creates a space for it to happen. It is y our personality and voice interacting with books that you’re studying that help us to see things more clearly. I actually think that what you’ve created during this time of “silence” is, in fact, an amazing space where I truly enjoy visiting! One of my very favorites! Keep going..the Lord is using you and leading you…
    Amy Jung recently posted..When You Think You’ve Been Foolish…

July 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Amy, you have brought tears to my eyes. You have truly encourage my heart today, for that is my deepest prayer, that others would enjoy visiting and be blessed when they do. Hugs!

Carol Longenecker Hiestand
    July 3, 2014 at 7:17 am

beautiful. You are honoring your voice.
    Carol Longenecker Hiestand recently posted..The view doesn’t change what is true

July 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Thank you so much Carol!

~Karrilee~
    July 3, 2014 at 8:49 am

I love you (and your voice!) That is all!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Choosing Trust – Atlas Girl Blog Tour

July 4, 2014 at 2:20 pm

And to that I say, I love you back!

Cathy
    July 3, 2014 at 10:28 am

Beautiful post written with such honesty. Even though you feel wordless and your writing is silent…your written thoughts are powerful. Keep doing what your doing as God leads you along. My life has already been blessed by you just in the past 4 months I have know you. I look for you when I get on line. Praying for you sweet friend!
    Cathy recently posted..Not in America!

July 4, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Cathy, such encouragement to my heart today. Thank you!

Michelle
    July 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm

As I read this all I could think of is iron sharpens iron.
    We all need each other. Even if that means you have guest bloggers.
    There is a time to pour forth and there is a time to rest.
    May God Bless You Dear Sister
    Michelle recently posted..http://WWW…Wednesdays (#76)

July 4, 2014 at 2:21 pm

AMEN Michelle!

Susan Irene Fox
    July 4, 2014 at 11:57 am

Barbie, your blog is filled with light and love and salt that seasons our walk in a variety of ways. We all must take time to rest. How else will we hear His voice or allow ourselves to be wrapped in His loving and gentle arms? Be filled, sweet sister. Your voice is not silent for those who have ears to hear. <3
    Susan Irene Fox recently posted..The Twenty-Third Psalm

July 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Susan, thank you for stopping by and blessing me today. Happy 4th of July!

Beth
    July 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Oh sweet, friend. This was beautiful. I have loved witnessing friends coming alongside of you during your time of rest. It really speaks to the many you have touched with your beautiful voice. I so wanted to be a part of it and maybe one day I will. God’s timing, right? Like Karrilee said, I just love you so much.
    xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Get to Know You Monday (Vol. 6)