8 In Writing & Blogging

On Writing Brave

brave

As a writer, I believe there are stories hiding in deep place of my heart that I’d rather leave there.  Buried underneath the weight of the past, I question whether these words must be resurrected in order to bring me to the fullness of the freedom that is mine in Christ.  Sometimes a story is better left unsaid.  After all, when you profess Jesus Christ as Lord, and believe that He has redeemed you from your past, why dig it up?

But sometimes God withholds our stories, until such a time when we are ready to fully embrace the work He did on the cross.  Some stories have been removed from my memory altogether, swept away with my past as I surrendered my heart to Him.  Not every story will be told, but I believe He will call me to bravely share some, to write with trembling hands and in fear, so that He may be glorified.

Several months ago I participated in a Facebook group for writers.  An exercise was given to write a part of our memoir.  I wasn’t sure what I would write, but as I sat down at the computer, staring at the blank screen, God began to unfold a part of my story that I had tucked away, never wanting to remember.  In the days following the brave writing of those events, I was overcome with fear, anxiety, depression and unrest as I sought God for answers as to why He would call me to write this story.

I shared my brave story at the SDG Community today. I am overwhelmed at the outpouring of love and support I have received.  I believe that God desires to bring hope and healing to others through my words.  Call them brave, or courageous.  They were written in fear and trembling, not feeling very brave at all.  I felt weak, overcome by the weight of it again, yet as I stepped out, He made me brave, and gave me the courage to share.

This is my story, but it does not define me.  I am free, redeemed and washed in His blood. It is a part of my history, and I believe there are others who have suffered in similar ways. It is my hope that God would give them the courage to continue to walk out their healing, and that He would glorified in the process.

Sometimes we are called to write brave.  And when we do, God will take our words and use them not only to bring freedom to us, but to bring healing to others.

Sharing with my dear friend Beth for Three Word Wednesday on a Thursday.

June
    July 24, 2014 at 6:40 am

I wish I could walk into your office right now and just hug you. How can a heart hurt and yet rejoice at the same time? I am so very thankful, Barbie, that you know the love of Jesus. It takes time, I know, but He will completely heal your heart. Have blessed weekend.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . a merry heart

July 26, 2014 at 9:48 pm

June, I feel your hugs, and your prayers. Thank you for your friendship.

Laura Rath
    July 24, 2014 at 6:44 am

All praise and glory to Jesus, the One who comes and rescues us from sin and darkness, without judgement or condemnation! Barbie, this had to be so difficult for you to write, but you followed Him and obediently kept writing brave. I have no doubt He will use it in ways you may never know, as well as to heal and comfort you.
    Blessings to you friend,
    Laura
    Laura Rath recently posted..A Little Bird Named Albert

July 26, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Thank you Laura. It took time and was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I love and appreciate you!

Becky Keife
    July 25, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Barbie, I just read your very brave story. I want to weep with and pray over that scared and wounded teenage girl you once were and I want to hold your trembling hands now and pray continued healing over the scars that still remain in your heart while giving praise to the Great Healer and Redeemer for the work he has already accomplished in your life. Thank you for trusting him enough to give a voice to this part of your story. I wholeheartedly believe with you that God will use this powerfully in the lives of others. Keep writing brave, my friend. You inspire me to do the same.
    Becky Keife recently posted..Music: The Memory Keeper

July 26, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I can feel your prayers Becky. I am so grateful for a community who surrounds me with love and grace, time and time again.

Lisa @ FSL
    July 26, 2014 at 12:47 pm

ah brave! So proud of you for sharing this.
    Lisa @ FSL recently posted..Comment on Random 5 Friday… just because by Barbie