The Weekend Brew: The Day He Called Out To Jesus (Guest Post)

I will be enjoying a four-day weekend and traveling to Oregon with a couple of friends tomorrow.  I am so looking forbear to getting away and having fun.  Jolene Underwood, my July Inspired Blogger, graciously agreed to write a guest post for The Weekend Brew.

July 5th, 2013.  It was one month after we moved back home. It was the day after our large 4th of July party. It was the day the kids left.  These five we’d cared for over the last fifteen months were moving to a new home. I was unable to continue caring for them. It all hurt.

The enemy threatened to tell me that our efforts were all for nought. Was it really worth giving up so much to be a foster mom if you can’t continue?  God allowed me to walk through the fire of one of my deepest fears. When I had to let go, I had to trust that He was taking care of it all. And he was.

JesusHelpMe3-2

That morning, a young boy found the gift of calling on Jesus. This child fought the hardest to be loved and to show love. His battles were the likes of which most people would give up on.  It was critical that he knew he was not alone. It was critical that I knew the same.

When you don’t know what the future will bring, when you are powerless to control the love and safety of a child, you realize that they need to call on the one person who will never leave them. As a parent, you also realize how much you must rely on him day after day, because truly you cannot control their future.

After several months of being in our home he allowed us to help him calm down at night.  With all of the children I often whispered that Jesus would always be with them.  I tried to instill in their hearts that He was trustworthy, that He heard their cries and that He was the one whom they could always call out to.

So he did. He called on the name of Jesus.

He had an ear infection and I was powerless to stop the pain at that very moment. I did what I could to help and asked him to pray. “Jesus, please help me,” he prayed out loud from another room. The enemies’ lies were thwarted.  This loving, ministering, fostering thing, it really was so meaningful.

The loving & ministering we do for anyone in our lives, it is meaningful.  Despite what we see, when it is for the Lord, it is for a great purpose.  God wants us to know this deep in our hearts and live like we believe it.

as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Whether it is our children, our spouse, our neighbor or our enemy, we can serve and we can let the light of Christ live through us. It is done for things which we cannot see.

We can trust in what is unseen by believing in, and setting our beliefs on, the One who sees it all.

For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:9-11)

JoSidePink2-2Jolene Underwood writes about “living for Him with faith-eyes”. Through a number of trials over the years she has been challenged to step forward in the faith she professed to have. God has continually beckoned her to “be strong and courageous”. Through fear and failure, God’s grace has broken through. God’s grace has brought freedom. On the blog you will find stories of fostering, faith, family, fear, failure & freedom. She has lived imperfectly and continues to do so. With grace there is growth. She’d love to connect with you in the journey to live with “faith-eyes”

Barbie's Weekend Brew buttonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

1. What an amazing testimony! Thank you for sharing of His great power! Blessings
    Kaylene Yoder recently posted..40 Prayers for my Husband: His Courage

2. I loved this post, Jolene! Too often we discount the power of calling on His name. Thanks for the encouragement to truly minister to those around us in the power of the name of Christ.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..No Ordinary Moments: Discover Grace in the Small Things

3. Jill Foley says:

You are coming to my neck of the woods, Barbie. Will you be in Portland? It’s going to be a hot weekend for you…
    Jill Foley recently posted..Just Another Week

• Barbie says:

No, sadly, I am 6 hours away from you in Ashland. It’s been hot, but thankful for air conditioning on the inside.

4. Candace says:

This is absolutely beautiful! I love hearing about the positive influence of foster parents. It seems like we only see the negative in the news, etc. Thanks for sharing this little boy’s life-changing moment of calling out to Jesus :)!
    Candace recently posted..DIY Burlap Marriage Verse Sign

• Thank you so much Candace. You’re right, there are a lot of sad stories around fostering which only fuel fear into an area where Christ is so desperately needed. We saw a lot of really hard things. More importantly, we also saw God move in mighty ways. Tremendously beautiful ways. May He be glorified & may His might be found as we love & serve as the Lord leads.
      Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes) recently posted..Breathe and Exhale {FMF: Exhale}

5. Mary Geisen says:

So glad to be connecting with you again here at Barbie’s place. Your words speak of calling out to God and then trusting and even young children can do this. Your heart for fostering is beautiful and the fact that you take it a step deeper by instilling a love of Jesus in those children is wonderful. Blessed to be here and thank you for doing the link up while Barbie is out of town. Blessings, my friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Belong

6. Anita says:

Hi Jolene,

Thank you for your heartfelt post. So thankful for the truth that our Lord sees all and He is trustworthy. God bless. Lifting you and your family in prayer.
    Anita recently posted..Trust in God, leads to peace

7. Jolene,
    What a great post and reminder of the power of calling on Jesus….and Barbie, glad you’re getting away…praying you have a great time….and Thanks so much, Jolene 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..What is the one secret of life….

8. What a beautiful testimony! The faith of a child…may we all desire it. Blessings to you and to Barbie too! Find rest, friend!
    Nannette and the Sweetheart recently posted..When Fear Doesn’t Belong…

9. Joanne Viola says:

Jolene, wonderful post as it testifies of the power in the name of Jesus. It is also a wonderful story of fostering children. At a time when we hear such sad stories about foster care, it is beautiful to read of a positive influence in children’s lives.
    And may you, Barbie, have a wonderful and restful weekend! Blessings to both of you ladies!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..The Random Five or 6

10. Pamela says:

If it’s for the Lord, it’s for great purpose. Those words are the root of all things. The end result isn’t ours–the purpose we do it for is. Thank you for filling in, Jolene, with such an inspiring post.
    Pamela recently posted..7 Ways to Ease Fibromyalgia Pain

11. Sharon says:

A wonderful story! And yes, I can relate. I have often cried out those prayers – “Jesus, please help me!” – I call them *arrow prayers*! And God always makes me calmer. I know He’s heard, and help in on the way.

GOD BLESS!
    Sharon recently posted..STRUT YOUR MUTT

12. Thanks for the beautiful testimony & for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..The Waltz: Triplets of Timing

13. Beth says:

A powerful message and reminder for us, Jolene. So wonderful having you here at Barbie’s. Much love to you both.
    xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness (Vol. 29)

14. Wanda says:

Such an important truth to instill in the hearts of children that will last a lifetime. A beautiful message Jolene.
    Wanda recently posted..For Thirsty Souls

15. Debbie G. says:

Teaching that little guy to call out to Jesus is one of the most important things you could ever do! I’m sure it will stick with him for the rest of his life.
    Your words -“The loving & ministering we do for anyone in our lives, it is meaningful. Despite what we see, when it is for the Lord, it is for a great purpose. God wants us to know this deep in our hearts and live like we believe it.” – touched me. The last couple of days I’ve felt like I haven’t done much with my life for the Lord in any BIG way. You’ve reminded me that I truly have touched others in small ways. Thanks for that reminder and encouragement.

16. Heather says:

Jolene,
    I see your heart in this piece so much. I recognize that heart. A heart teach a child that nothing else matters but God. I told my daughter from day one to never let anyone else define who she was, to always turn to God… And I prayed this from day one. The fruit of that prayer and teaching by the glory of God I’m already seeing come to pass in her life is amazingly beautiful. I saw it early on actually, and now she turns 20 this month, and I’m so thankful she walks with him.
    Thank you for sharing this. It blessed me so much.
    Heather recently posted..Why Bad Things Happen to Good People? Really. {Yeah… That Title Was Backwards 😉 }