46 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: The Path of Life

The path of life

Walking along life’s path, I often feel alone.  I long to feel the weight of His presence. I know He’s there.  My intellect tells me that He is, and I choose to believe the written Word that says, “He will never leave me nor forsake me”.

To press forward in faith when you long for the tangible is often hard.

But that is exactly what faith is, a pressing forward into the unknown, knowing that the God of the universe has gone before you, goes with you and follows closely behind you.  I am hemmed in on every side. I cannot escape His presence.  He surrounds me with His goodness.

I painted this piece about a month ago.  In the center of the painting is a narrow path which depicts my walk with Christ.  Although I cannot see what lies ahead, He has surrounded me on every side.  On both sides of the path I see His fire, the flame of His love, glimpses of His glory and a reminder that I am a royal daughter of a loving and tender Heavenly Father.  He reminds me that this earth is not my home.  This road I walk is temporary, and the steps I take are for a greater purpose.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever. (Psalm 23:6 NLT)

As I continue down this path of life, often blind to the blessings that await me, I will remember His promises:

He is with me.
He is good.
He loves me.
He pursues me.
He prepares a place for me.

Barbie's Weekend Brew buttonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

LeeAnn G Taylor
    July 19, 2014 at 12:50 am

The painting is beautiful; thank you for sharing!

And this…”To press forward in faith when you long for the tangible is often hard.” Yes and yes. Soul sisters you and I. 🙂
    LeeAnn G Taylor recently posted..How To Embrace Life Like a Child

July 20, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Soul sisters indeed! Have a beautiful week.

Joanne Viola
    July 19, 2014 at 3:14 am

Beautiful, Barbie, both in words and painting. We can press forward towards the unknown because we know the One Who is up ahead. Have a blessed weekend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Of Beauty, Creativity & Faith

July 20, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Yes and AMEN Joanne!

Denise
    July 19, 2014 at 4:05 am

So beautiful Barbie! I know that standing firm in our faith can be a long hard climb, and a long wait clouded by fear and doubt. But genuine faith is strengthened when we wait and believe that God’s promise will be fulfilled. Faith gives us the assurance that God is able to fulfill all His promises!! ♥

Love you dear; have a blessed and faith-filled weekend!
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..A Perfect Fit

July 20, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for stopping by Denise! Praying you have a blessed and beautiful week.

Ginger Harrington
    July 19, 2014 at 5:41 am

Barbie, I LOVE the painting. The creativity of the Holy Spirit is such a wonder and such a joy when He expresses Himself through our gifts. Thank you for sharing your heart and your painting. Yes this walk of faith is sometimes a hard thing when our hearts long for something tangible.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..You Can’t Force the Bloom

July 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thank you Ginger. I love that I get to express myself in this way. Have a lovely week.

Tamara
    July 19, 2014 at 6:52 am

July 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

You’re welcome Tamara!

Ceil
    July 19, 2014 at 9:10 am

Hi Barbie! What a great read for me today. Faith…sigh. It’s an everyday rededication to believing that God is here with me, and knows the plan. I am the kind of person who likes the schematics, but God doesn’t work that way, does he?

Have a blessed weekend 🙂
    Ceil
    Ceil recently posted..At Least One

July 20, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for visiting Ceil. Praying you have a blessed and beautiful week.

Sarah Ann
    July 19, 2014 at 9:28 am

Gorgeous painting and beautiful reminder how God is with us when we can’t feel He’s there. He calls us to walk that path in faith, hand in hand with Him, through this great unknown we call life. Have a blessed weekend! Visiting from http://faithalongtheway.com
    Sarah Ann recently posted..Saturday Soiree Blog Party #2 + Winner Announced!

July 20, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I’m so thankful that He takes my hand and leads me on this path of life. Thanks for stopping by Sarah Ann!

Lisa
    July 19, 2014 at 9:56 am

What a lovely painting! I’m in the middle of trying to press forward in faith while longing for something tangible… Thanks for the encouragement.
    Lisa recently posted..If Infertiles Ruled the World

July 20, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Lisa, I am so thankful you were encouraged. Have a blessed and beautiful week.

Carrie
    July 19, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I know what’s it like to desire something tangible, a sign from God. And when I least expected it, He showed me. I’ll never forget it. If I find myself feeling alone or empty, I remember what He did all those years ago. Because when He displayed His presence I was at my lowest – acting unloving and unfaithful. What a Father we have! Blessings!
    Carrie recently posted..On The Road Or At Home

July 20, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Going back and reflecting on the testimony of the Lord, what He’s done in our lives, gives us fuel to keep going. Have a beautiful week my friend.

Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes)
    July 19, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Just lovely Barbie. You know how I love hearing thoughts on faith. Living this out day by day is a beautiful journey. And yes, each step is for a greater purpose. AMEN!
    Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes) recently posted..So the heart may bloom {FMF: Bloom}

July 20, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Jolene! It’s so comforting to know He is with us every step we take.

Elizabeth
    July 19, 2014 at 9:42 pm

In Ephesians in the Amplified Verson is talks about the good works God has prepared before hand for us to do and the path He prepared beforehand to walk. Oh, how I want to stay on the center of the path God has for me! I love your painting of the path.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psalm 125:3…

July 20, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Thank you Elizabeth!

Holly Barrett
    July 20, 2014 at 5:29 am

Yeah, I always want the path illuminated further than one or two steps out too. I always said I didn’t mind going from point A to point B, I just wanted to know what was in-between before I got there. Not gonna happen though, is it? One day…one day…our faith will be sight. In the meantime, we will just spur one another on down the path that God has chosen for each of us. Much love to you!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..You are my hiding place

July 20, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Thankful to have you along my path Holly!

June
    July 20, 2014 at 6:56 am

He walks before us, guiding, clearing the path. He walks behind us, our rearguard, protecting. Your painting is beautiful, Barbie. How like our Father to minister to you with the very same gift He’s given you, to minister to others! Have a blessed week!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . the Shepherd’s eyes

July 20, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Thank you June!

Pat Baer
    July 20, 2014 at 7:31 am

One of the most stabilizing forces anchoring me to ‘the path’ and propelling me forward, is an occasional look back. His faithfulness and consistent trustworthiness brightly mark the places I’ve already been. The path behind me reminds me he will be there in the places I cannot see ahead, One step at a time – remembering, he is good – he is always good.

I enjoyed visiting your community today Barbie, thank you.
    Pat Baer recently posted..Childlike Innocence & Our Relationship With God

July 20, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Pat, I’m so thankful you stopped by! And yes, going back and seeing His hand and His faithfulness is so powerful to move us forward. Have a blessed week.

Mollie Hardman
    July 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm

What a beautiful and reassuring thought, that you can’t escape His presence! There is a quote and I don’t know who it’s by, but it says the teacher is always quiet during the test. Maybe the test is pressing into Him even when we can’t feel His presence. Here’s to pressing in and always moving forward along the path. 🙂 Beautiful painting!!!
    Mollie Hardman recently posted..What I learned from day yesterday!

July 20, 2014 at 9:13 pm

AMEN Mollie! Thanks for stopping by to encourage me today.

Heather
    July 20, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I remember learning God’s light is just where we need it. Enough to just step out when we need to. This is a beautiful painting that represents that, Barbie. And beautiful words to match. 🙂
    Heather recently posted..You Can NEVER Do Enough

July 21, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Thank you my dear Heather!

Jennifer Camp
    July 20, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Yes! We choose to believe He is here. We choose to believe His written word.. . Love your heart, Barbie. Thank you.
    Jennifer Camp recently posted..trapped? how about living the life you’ve imagined?

July 21, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Jennifer! It’s so nice to see you here.

Amy Jung
    July 21, 2014 at 6:34 am

You’re making beauty out of the unknown. Something that often feels scary to me. I love your painting!
    Amy Jung recently posted..If You’re Weary of Doing Good

July 22, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Thanks so much Amy!

Lisa notes
    July 21, 2014 at 7:42 am

“But that is exactly what faith is, a pressing forward into the unknown” and that is so hard at times. But also exciting because even though we can’t see what’s around the corner, we know God can, and he is to be trusted. Thanks for this, Barbie!
    Lisa notes recently posted..Being wrong

July 22, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Lisa!

Mindy
    July 21, 2014 at 10:05 am

Beautiful – we don’t walk this path of life alone but are surrounded on all sides. So comforting to know He is always with us – always.
    Mindy recently posted..Honoring those to whom honor is due

July 22, 2014 at 11:20 pm

AMEN Mindy! He will never leave us.

Dolly@Soulstops
    July 21, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Barbie,
    Your faith is beautiful 🙂 and your trust as you walk through your life….and as you paint 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: Bloom & Visiting O’Keeffe

July 22, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I so appreciate you Dolly. Thank you!

Beth
    July 22, 2014 at 11:25 am

Love your painting and your heart. This really spoke to me today >>> “This road I walk is temporary, and the steps I take are for a greater purpose.” I get discouraged at times thinking He must have more for me than this . . . mainly in terms of my job. It’s a good job but is this really it?? But they are steps toward a greater purpose. That really helps to stay focused on.
    Thank you for the encouragement.
    Love you so much.
    Beth recently posted..Get to Know You Monday (Vol. 8)

July 22, 2014 at 11:21 pm

You’re welcome Beth! Thankful these words encouraged you!

Ashley
    July 23, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Barbie, you always touch my soul with encouragement for the day, and I REALLY needed this. I needed those words. Love you friend!
    Ashley recently posted..Where You Matter Most {and its NOT where you think}

Ann
    July 24, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Hi, Barbie! So often it does feel like we walk this road in life alone. But, just as you had also said, I am SO thankful that He will never leave or forsake us! I love reading and keeping His promises in my heart! They are often what get me through the toughest times. Thanks for sharing and hosting this link-up!
    Ann recently posted..Honey for the Heart: Joy In the Shadow