11 In Faith

Facing The Storm

Storm

My beautiful California is desperately in need of rain. As I drive along familiar streets to and from, I cannot help but be saddened by the loss of flourishing signs of life everywhere I look. The hills are brown and lawns once lush with green growth are dying due to mandatory restrictions on water usage.

As I pray and ask the Lord to bring the physical rain and heal our land from drought, I am reminded how desperately I need the rain of His Spirit to come — to bring healing, to refresh, to bring life.

I don’t much care for storms. I do not like the cold, the wind makes my eyes water, and I don’t like looking up at a sky where darkness is looming and the light is no where to be found.

The Lord reminded me just today that when I am faced with a storm, I’d rather hide. I am the first to turn and run for cover. I don’t like to get wet, nor do I enjoy the feel of a forceful wind upon my cheeks. And who wants to remain outside where darkness is threatening to overtake a once blue sky?

But I think He wants to teach me to face the storm. To look at it, head on, and remind myself that this too shall pass. The rain will stop. The wind will calm. And the darkness? [Tweet “If you gaze into a darkened sky long enough, sooner or later the light will come.”]

The darkness is always overtaken by the light. It will not remain dark forever.

I’m facing a storm of late. A couple of them actually. As my spirit cries out for rain, both in the physical and in the natural, I’ve found myself asking the Lord to calm the storm, before it even really hits. I’ve been filled with despair and anxiety over situations that are beyond my control. I don’t want to face the storm. The weight of it is uncertain and I’m not sure my physical man is strong enough to make it through to the other side.

I am not alone.

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? (Psalm 121:1)

I do not face the storm alone. He goes with me and He promises that if I will meet it head on, there will be a blessing awaiting me on the other side.

Today I will pray for rain.

The kind that makes you want to turn and run for fear that you may drown.

Today I will pray for wind.

The heavy kind, the kind that threatens to catch you up in a fierce whirlwind and drop you off into an unknown place.

Today I will face the darkness.

Because I now that if I face the storm, the light will guide me through.

Are you facing a storm in your life?  How can I pray for you?

photo credit: martinak15 via photopin cc

Linking up with my beautiful friend Beth today for Three Word Wednesday.

Dayle
    August 20, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Barbie, I can so relate to this post. It’s been a stormy summer from start to finish and there are still clouds on the horizon. I keep repeating to myself the gentle command of Jesus: “Do not be anxious for anything.”

I will pray for you, and would love you to pray for me, that I will have wisdom for the days ahead.
    Dayle recently posted..When Seasons End ~ Scenes from a Blessed Life

Beth
    August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am

I thought of the verse from Matthew 28:20 as I read your words, Barbie. “And be sure of this: I am with you always,” That always there brings me such comfort. He is with us ALWAYS. And I know He will be with you and see you through the storms in your life. Praying for you, friend, and wishing I come alongside of you physically . . . even if just to sit there quietly together. Love you. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Three Word Wednesday: Loves takes delight

Mary Geisen
    August 21, 2014 at 9:26 am

You are not alone in your storm! Praying for all your unspoken needs. May God’s grace pour over you and wash away your fears. Love you friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Summer’s Sweet Rest

Heather @ My Overflowing Cup
    August 21, 2014 at 11:53 am

Thank you for this beautiful post! I, too, am facing a storm right now (financial). I fear the storm, even though I know that He is with me. I am afraid of where the winds will take me, even though I know His faithful hand is guiding me. Let us resolve to pray for one another for strength to look into the wind and the rain, knowing Who is in control of all things. Let us remember that He is good and He loves us more than we can imagine. You have blessed me today ~ thank you!
    Heather @ My Overflowing Cup recently posted..When Our Thoughts and His Words Collide

Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily)
    August 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Praying with and for you, Barbie. I love the image you used. Will be passing that along, as well as this post. Love you. Heart Hugs, Shelly <3
    Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily) recently posted..Is It Difficult for You to Need and Accept Help?

Pam
    August 21, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Beautiful post, Barbie! And full of such truth. We all face those storms in our lives, and like you, none of us wants to stand out in it and let it pelt us with everything it’s got. But, like flowers blooming in a desert after the rain, we too can can come out from it stronger, healthier, and more beautiful spiritually. Thanks for sharing your heart.
    Pam recently posted..Giving It ALL Up

Candace
    August 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I’m not a fan of storms either, Barbie- the outdoors kind or my dark days inside. I love where you say, “The darkness is always overtaken by the light. It will not remain dark forever.” I forget this far too often. When in the midst of any storm, I feel it may never end, but as you so beautifully stated, it always does. Praying for you to weather all of your storms and for rain in your gorgeous California!
    Candace recently posted..When Depression Kills

Heather @40YearWanderer
    August 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Barbie, I hope your storms end soon and God gives you a new story of hope out of them.
    ❤️
    Heather @40YearWanderer recently posted..Are You Sharing Fake Christianity? ~ {Living #ALLIN}

Joyce
    August 21, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I like your post. I love the weather but don’t like storms in my personal life. I can say that I am stronger for going through them. I used to pray for the storm to go away. And later I prayed for guidance. Lately I have been praying that God will show me how I should change and be molded by the storm. The last way has been the most helpful prayer, but the hardest to pray,
    I will comment back ­ http://www.oldefashionmom.com/
    Joyce recently posted..8/21/14 Joy Dare…

Mindy
    August 26, 2014 at 5:07 pm

This is beautiful. I feel like the entire world has been facing storms of sorts and certainly in our lives here. Adding my prayers for you and am thankful for His light and life.
    Mindy recently posted..It is well

Mindy
      August 26, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Lara Martin’s Voice of Hope is a beautiful worship song reminding us that through our storms He remains the King of King.
      Mindy recently posted..It is well