Five Minute Friday: Change

Today I am joining a beautiful community of writers for the Five Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes for the joy of writing.  No editing or backtracking necessary.  No need to be perfect.  This is where I get to write, letting it all go, allowing the words tucked away deep inside my heart to find their voice.

Change

change

It can be a familiar friend or an unwelcome visitor.

For the most part, I embrace change.

I’m a “fly-by-the-seat of my pants” girl, always willing to go where the wind takes me.

Excited to see beyond the horizon to what’s on the other side.

But lately, I’m not embracing change as before.

Perhaps it’s because I am older now, and your perspective changes when you realize you’ve probably already lived half of your life.

So I resist, pushing against change, pushing it back because the familiar is what makes me most comfortable.

But in the resisting I am met head on with my lack, and the fact that the reason I am unable or unwilling to embrace change is because I have fallen out of trust.

[Tweet “It’s only through the door of trust that we can fully accept change.”]

It takes trust to embrace what we cannot see.

It takes trust to hold onto to hope in the midst of a hopeless situation.

I may not like the change that the winds are bringing of late, but I will embrace them.  I will meet them head on.  I will look beyond the darkness and into the light.

I will embrace the winds of change, and allow the Spirit to take me where He wills.

photo credit: Aurimas Adomavicius via photopin cc

1. Verona says:

Beautiful article Barbie! I can tell it was written from your soul…just so comforting to read. It is so true that we need to trust God and not rely on outward appearances of change.
    Verona recently posted..Change my Life

2. Mary Geisen says:

I just exhaled real big after reading this post. “It’s only through the door of trust that we can fully accept change”. Amen! Who knew that one word “trust” would pack such a punch. Thank you for sharing your heart. Hugs my friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Five Minute Friday-Change

• Barbie says:

Thanks Mary. I’ve been having to lean a lot in the place of trust these days. Change is all about trust. Hugs!

3. We all walk through valleys of time where the willingness to trust in God doesn’t extend as far as we would like, where the darkness scares us because we can’t see past it. It can be hard to trust when we can’t see the reasons for the change. Thank you for the reminder to throw caution to the wind and embrace the changes the Spirit brings with Him. Have a blessed week friend. 🙂
    Mollie Hardman recently posted..Five Minute Friday — Tell

4. Flexibility and trust! Two things I am learning. Thanks for the encouragement. You are a blessing!
    Adoption Mama recently posted..One Year of Grace

5. Mary says:

Oh, my sweet, sweet friend…this is beautiful. And that quote? YES!!!!!!!
    Mary recently posted..5 Minute Friday…Change

6. June says:

It makes my heart smile to be receiving these little gems from you again, Barbie! Your perseverance is a beautiful thing! One of my most constant prayers is, Lord, increase my faith!, I thought of that as I read your words this morning about trust. Trust and faith walk hand-in-hand for me. As I’ve been pondering chapters 4 & 5 this week in our journey to the high places, I’ve been wondering if trust and faith are the other side of sorrow and suffering. Still pondering. Have a blessed weekend, my friend!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . a smile

7. Melissa says:

Yes! I think a major reason we resist change is that it takes us out of our comfort zone. But yes, we have a God who loves, leads, and protect us. All we need to do–though it’s easier said than done–is trust Him.
    Melissa recently posted..Slow to Change: Five Minute Friday

• Barbie says:

Melissa, I so agree. I’s hard to be taken out of our comfort zones as God stretches us into places of trust. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

8. Leah Adams says:

this is good…so good. had never stopped long enough to connect trust and change, but you are so right. thanks for the reminder and the encouragement. stopping in from five minute Friday.
    Leah Adams recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Change

9. Yes and Amen!! Great post, Barbie!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Change

10. “It takes trust to accept the unknown, believing that God has already gone before.” Love this! Yes, you know this resonates with my heart. Trusting His leading is hard but oh so good! Spirit lead me…
    Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes) recently posted..The best change {FMF: Change}

11. “Falling out of trust.” Love that. That is what we do when we fear change — we fall out of trusting the One who makes all things new, even in change, even as we get older and resist the change that still comes to those who believe. Thanks Barbie for your thoughtful words.

12. Amy P Boyd says:

Yes Yes Yes !!! I love you sweet reminder to begin to truly trust again and follow His lead through the changes in our lives.
    Amy P Boyd recently posted..Change {Five Minute Friday}

13. Beth says:

These are some good words right here, Barbie. Great post! I know how much you enjoy FMF so it’s wonderful to see you joining in again. Holding you close in prayer ALWAYS. Love you. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Scattering of Love :: Batch 2

• Barbie says:

I do love the 5MF Beth. It’s the one time each week where I can run with my first thoughts and write freely! Hugs!

14. Juliet says:

Both my deepest longing and deepest fear that the Spirit of god will fill me and change me and take me where He will.
    Juliet recently posted..Change – Just Do It

15. Anne says:

Barbie, I think I could have written this post. We seem to be in similar places although I don’t know the particulars of yours. I am in a season of needing to trust. Just before I read your post, my anxious thoughts of the unknown future threatened to take over. Your post calmed me and reminded me that God has already gone before me into the future, no matter what happens! Blessings to you!