Five Minute Friday: Whisper

Today I am joining a beautiful community of writers for the Five Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes for the joy of writing.  No editing or backtracking necessary.  No need to be perfect.  This is where I get to write, letting it all go, allowing the words tucked away deep inside my heart to find their voice.

I am learning to embrace the still, small voice.  It comes like a whisper, faint to my natural ear, yet loud to my Spirit.  If I’m not careful I will miss it.  Life moves fast and I move even faster at times.  I long to stop, to be still, to lean in to hear the whisper from God’s heart to mine.

I’m not sure why He chooses to speak in such subtle tones at times. Perhaps it’s because He’s teaching me to lean in, to press into His presence during a time in my life when it would be easier to just close myself off and hide somewhere.

He is speaking.  And although I long for the loud voice, the one that roars like thunder, the one that would not be missed, He choose to speak in hushed tones.

Press in, My Daughter, I am here.

Cling to Me, My child, I will not leave you.

Rest your head here, with Me, for I will strengthen you.

Surrender all, and I will give you what you need.

Stop, be still, listen.  I am speaking.  Do not fear.  For I am with you.

Today I will cease from striving to hear His voice.

Today I will surrender the weight of what I carry into His capable arms.

Today I will lean in to the whisper of His voice and allow Him to speak to my heart.

He speaks often through a whisper. Are you listening?

photo credit: Rob Gallop via photopin cc

1. Sara says:

I often forget to listen. I get so caught up in the noise of life that i don’t take time to hear him. Something i really need to work on. Popping over for five minute friday xx
    Sara recently posted..Whisper

2. Karen Brown says:

This is chock-ful of such beautifully written truth. This line is for my journal: “Today I will cease from striving to hear His voice.” Great post! Your words always move me…
    Karen Brown recently posted..Whisper

3. Anna Rendell says:

Your words are just beautiful – and so is your site!! =) I’m trying to listen harder amidst the everyday noise. Thanks for teh reminder. (Clicked over from the FMF link-up!)
    Anna Rendell recently posted..On Five Minute Friday: whisper

4. Mary Geisen says:

It is in the quiet moments that I hear God speaking loudly words that are meant just for me. So glad you wrote tonight and shared your heart. Love you friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Five Minute Friday-Whisper

5. Beth says:

When you wrote, “Today I will stop striving to hear His voice.” it really spoke to me. Such a great reminder that He just wants us to be still and know . . . believe. He will speak to us. Always encouraged by you, friend. I just love you so much. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Three Word Wednesday: The Final Countdown

6. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, the entire post is beautiful But this spoke loudly to me —> “It comes like a whisper, faint to my natural ear, yet loud to my Spirit.” I am so grateful He speaks loudly to my spirit. Happy Friday!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Whisper

7. Amy P Boyd says:

I love this line “Today I will surrender the weight of what I carry into His capable arms.” I pray that I will not only read it, say it for myself but actually do it. I pray once I surrender it to Him I won’t try to take it back to carry again. Thanks for whispering hope to my soul today Barbie.
    Amy P Boyd recently posted..Whisper {Five Minute Friday}

8. Melissa says:

I can totally relate! I get caught up in the busyness of daily life and my to-do list (cleaning the bathroom today … ugh). Then I don’t hear His voice because all this other stuff is filling up my brain. Every Sunday, in the few minutes before our worship service starts, I pray that the Lord would clear my mind of all the worldly things and help me to hear what HE wants me to hear, as well as to worship Him wholeheartedly.
    Melissa recently posted..Whispers Between Friends

• Barbie says:

Life would be so much easier if the noise of this world came with an “off” switch, wouldn’t it? Thanks for stopping by the blog. Have a blessed week.

9. Mariah Green says:

What a sweet and perfect reminder to slow down and quiet down so that we can listen for His voice. I think we all at times forget to listen carefully for His answers and this was such a beautiful way to say “Are you listening?” Love it.

10. Carrie says:

Yes, it is so difficult to be patient and strain our hearts to hear what He says. I completely relate. Although if His voice came like a boom, I’d be too terrified to listen I think 🙂 He knows best – we must cling to this. And for too many long years, I only listened to my own wants and desires and completely ignored Him. Prayerfully I’ll spend the rest of my days doing the opposite. Cyber hugs coming your way!
    Carrie recently posted..Some Distractions Can Be Very Good

11. ~Karrilee~ says:

Girlie… you KNOW I get this! I am leaning in with you, slowing down and listening with intention. For I know He speaks… He whispers truth and grace and hope and love… so thankful that I am not alone in this season of quietly leaning in, listening for His whisper!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..I Can Find You In the Whisper…

12. Leah Adams says:

” Life moves fast and I move even faster at times.” THAT is my problem. I don’t make a point to slow down. I’m always looking ahead, racing ahead, moving ahead. In years past I never slowed down. Now, as wrinkles line my face, I am learning to slow down and listen for that still small voice. Beautiful post, Barbie. Thanks for stopping by my home at the www.
    Leah Adams recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Whisper

13. Yes! I love His gentle, loving whispers. I wrote a post not too long ago about Him whispering to me that I am “not a gentile”. May we all quiet ourselves enough to hear Him. Thank you for the beautiful post!
    Heather @ My Overflowing Cup recently posted..the good news about marriage (and a giveaway!)

14. Great words here – as always.

You’re post is confirmation of the whispers I need to be listening to. 🙂

Thanks, much!!
    Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondereda recently posted..Five Minute Friday :: The Whisper…

15. Carmen Horne says:

Ahhh, leaning in to hear the whisper. Beautiful.
    Carmen Horne recently posted..How the healing came…

16. “Do not fear. For I am with you.”

This is the reminder I often need. It’s often heard in whispers as well in my life. What a blessing when we remember this truth!
    LeeAnn Taylor {The Mosaic Life} recently posted..Be Still And Listen for the Whispers

17. Lynn says:

Nothing more needs to be said…He does come in a whisper. Thank you Barbie for putting the whisper into words.

18. ~ linda says:

Oh, that I would be still and quiet just to hear His precious whisper. He is not in the loud noises but in that still, quiet voice. Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Rooted

19. Hi Barbie! I’m stopping by from FMF. Thank you for these wonderful truth-filled words. I love that quote you used. I’m trying to live with open spiritual eyes and ears to see/hear God’s whispers. On the edge of the chair in my heart….pressing in…pursuing Him just to hear His whispers. Many blessings!
    Kristen Hamilton recently posted..Standing on My Virtual Corner with a Megaphone: “Enough”

20. Debbie says:

I am reminded of the Scripture from Matthew 11:28-30. May you surrender it all to His very capable hands. I too am weary Barbie.

Blessings and love,

PS. I’m praying for you friend.
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Whisper