14 In Book study

Journey To The High Places: On The Shores of Loneliness (Week 7)

Hinds Feet _ week7

Walking through a desert season will often leave you feeling lost and alone. Even though you want to believe that His Presence goes with You, I think the desert is purposely made to make one feel helpless and dependent. It forces us to reach forward into the great unknown, seeking the One we love with every ounce of strength we have left.

After wandering in the desert and accepting her circumstances with a heart of joy, Much-Afraid now finds herself standing on the shorts of loneliness. I believe the two work simultaneously together — the dry and thirsty land and the vast sea which separates us from the other side. These two work together to make us dependent on the One who has gone before us and continues to prepare the way.

Before He returns to the High Place, The Shepherd admonishes Much-Afraid in the area of obedience:

“Whenever you are willing to obey Me, Much-Afraid, and to follow the path of My choice, you will always be able to hear and recognize My voice, and when you hear it you must always obey. Remember also that it is always safe to obey My voice, even if it seems to call you to paths which look impossible or even crazy.” – Hinds Feet on High Places

He calls us out upon the waters, the great unknown, where feet may fail.

Much-Afraid had not known such loneliness.  The mountains were now completely out of sight.  Her relatives were far away.  She was surrounded by the sandy desert and the moaning sea, and there was no life no matter how far she looked.  Yet Much-Afraid seemed to walk swifter and more upright than ever before, with hardly a limp. Something happened in the wilderness which had left a mark upon her for the rest of her life.  It was a deep inner change not seen by outward appearances.

She had been down into Egypt and had looked upon the grinding-stone, the wheel, and the furnace, and knew that they symbolized an experience which she herself must pass through.  Somehow, incredible as it was, she, Much-Afraid, had been enabled to accept the knowledge and to acquiesce in it, and she knew within herself that with that acceptance a gulf had opened between herself and her past life, even between her past self; a gulf which could never again be closed. …For those who go down into the furnace of Egypt and find there the Flower of Acceptance come up changed and with the stamp of royalty upon them. – Hinds Feet on High Places

It wasn’t long, though before her Fearing relatives found her, once again sending out Pride, along with fellow companions Resentment, bitterness and self-pity to torment her. They spoke lies, wanting her to believe the Shepherd did not care for her at all. After withstanding much torment, Much-Afraid mustered up all her strength and called out once again for the Shepherd to come to her rescue. She could not understand how she allowed her tormenters to get so close. The Shepherd reminded her that she had become comfortable in her new surroundings and desired in her heart that the He would come and take her at once to the High Places. She had allowed a weed of impatience to grow in her heart, thus giving her tormenters an advantage over her.

Much-Afriad was filled with sorrow and repentance over the state of her heart. The Shepherd reminds her of her promise to wait patiently for her heart’s desire.

“When He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.  Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” (Job 23:10; Psalm 30:5)

Have you allowed a weed of impatience to grow in your heart over something you’ve been waiting for? Or are you waiting patiently for your heart’s desire?

mountains meadowThis is Week 7 of a devotional study of Hinds Feet on High Places.  I have received the author’s permission to quote larger portions of text for purposes of this study.  All of the posts in this study can be found here.

June
    September 1, 2014 at 6:25 am

With two elderly parents, a husband and rebellious adult children in my life, “my” plans are often disrupted. I’m so thankful that God has created in me a spirit of acceptance-with-joy. I can remember the days when everything had to go my way – I was a very unhappy person. “Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Have a blessed day with your family, Barbie!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . still Saturday

September 1, 2014 at 10:48 pm

AMEN my friend!

Chris Malkemes
    September 1, 2014 at 7:06 am

Did you ever think, my friend. Just how much you needed this book. Isn’t it awesome how he places into our lives JUST WHAT WE NEED when we need it. Blessings as always ~ Chris
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..The Bible and You

September 1, 2014 at 10:49 pm

So true Chris. I am in awe as to how much this book is parallel to where I am in my life right now.

Cynthia
    September 1, 2014 at 11:31 am

Loved this section of the book! Oh, I believe impatience must be continuously swept from my soul. In fact, I can’t name one occasion…so many. But, I am learning and I am enjoying the journey, as best I can. Joy to you!
    Cynthia recently posted..The Turning of Pages in Life

September 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I am so there Cynthia. I say I trust Him, but then tap my feet and cross my arms as I run out of patience. So thankful for the gentle way He leads me back to that place.

Lisa notes
    September 1, 2014 at 12:05 pm

It’s very easy for me to water those weeds of impatience. 🙁 Thanks for the reminder today to call out for the Shepherd to rescue me. I so love this book and the lessons in it!

September 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lisa!

Mary Geisen
    September 1, 2014 at 3:55 pm

This book is so amazing to me. The imagery and allegory that is present in the story is woven with the truth we know from God. I found that when Much-Afraid’s Fearing relatives came back to taunt her, I could feel what she was feeling because I let it happen too often in my own life. When Pride went over the cliff and Much-Afraid asked if he was gone forever, The Shepherd answers honestly that Pride would be back. Our lives would be so much easier if all of our struggles would be gone once and for all but God knows that for our relationship to grow and deepen with Him, our lives will have challenges along the way. As always thank you for leading this study and for allowing God to use you to show us Him! Blessings!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Sunday Morning Always Comes-Family

September 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm

So thankful you are along on this journey Mary!

Lisa @ FSL
    September 2, 2014 at 11:02 am

Girl if I could sit, and we could chat, and I could tell you how He has ripped out all those weeds of impatiences. This year has been a dozy. But, it is so freeing when we just let life be, no impatience, just graceful waiting.

Thank you for your grace, and you continual words here.
    Lisa @ FSL recently posted..Comment on LTTL… SEEKING out camaraderie of community by Lisa Kerner

September 4, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Oh I know. I need the Gardner to come tend to the weeds in my life again. Hugs!

Rosann
    September 2, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Weeds of impatience? Uh – yes! My health issues are the first that come to mind. I have so many more good days than bad ones but those bad ones really knock me back in my journey. I get so easily frustrated and rather than trusting God I quickly assume the worst.
    Rosann recently posted..Preparing Your Mama-Heart and Mind for Back-to-School

September 4, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I totally understand. I am sort of like that with the whole unemployment situation. One day I will get it!