71 In Faith/ Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Where Faith Meets Courage

Courage_Faith_WB

What do you do when life takes a sudden sharp turn?  Do you try to take control and steer yourself back onto the path that you once walked? Do you fight the turn, risking being thrown off course altogether and missing your destination? Or do you lean into the turn, albeit blindly, allowing yourself to feel the wind on your face, if even through tears?

Friends, life is changing. Yet I remain hopeful and full of faith. I do no always understand His ways, but I know that they are higher than my own. I know that He loves me. I know that He is with me. And I know that He has already seen the end from the beginning. These days I am facing have already been written. They are a part of my story, although I have not lived them out. I want to live them well, full of faith, trusting in His provision, reflecting on His goodness.

I want to look at this next part of my journey through the eyes of faith.  Oh my eyes are tired. I’ve spent too many days in tears, squinting to see, not wanting to see.  But I have two choices: Will I shrink back and step away from what God desires to do in my life, or will I choose to embrace change, looking through the eyes of faith as I allow courage to push me forward into God’s perfect plan for my life?

I desire the later, although I can’t always say it’s easy.  I’ve cried many tears as I face what lies ahead. And I’ve questioned how those tears can flow from a heart that desires to fully trust. But I am realizing it’s okay to grieve. It’s okay to be sad.  But I don’t want to dwell there. This new journey that I face, it could be temporary, or it could be permanent. Only He knows. Even through tears of sadness, I can still proclaim, “It is well with my soul”, and take His hand and allow Him to lead me.

[Tweet “He is right here, in the center, where faith meets courage.”]

Faith is my belief that it will all turn out okay. Courage is the ability to walk forward into the next chapter. Courage is faith with shoes on. Faith is what I am clinging to right now, in this moment, when I look ahead and can so easily be consumed by my lack. Faith is what I hold onto when I know that God is good, and even though I wouldn’t have planned the next chapter of my life this way, God is right there in the middle of it.

My prayer today is that God would increase my faith — faith in knowing that I am held in the palm of His hand and that all of my needs will be met. Faith in believing that where I go will be a blessing, not only to our family, but to those around me.  And I pray for courage — courage to rise up and meet this new day with a sense of purpose and excitement. Courage to step through a door that I wouldn’t have chosen, but that I believe God put in front of me for such a time as this.

If I could ask for prayer.  I am being laid off from a job I love as of September 30th. It is hopefully a temporary situation (possibly a year), but it’s been all kinds of hard and scary. Hard, because my heart is there, with people and ministry that I love. Scary because my husband remains without full-time employment. But we serve a God of abundance and we are believing that He will pour forth from heaven all that we need for this season.

Today I will rise up in faith and walk forward with courage.

Where is faith meeting courage in your life today? I would love for you to share in the comments below.

Barbie's Weekend Brew buttonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Nannette and the Sweetheart
    September 6, 2014 at 2:14 am

Keepin you in my prayers Barbie. God is so able and will never leave us forsaken!
    Nannette and the Sweetheart recently posted..When a whisper is enough

September 6, 2014 at 8:46 am

AMEN Nannette! Have a blessed weekend.

Kirsten
    September 6, 2014 at 3:23 am

Barbie, I found your site quite by accident this morning, but I’m so glad I did. I am very sorry you are getting laid off, but I love the courage, the faith, the hope that you have within you. Of course I will pray over your situation. God is going to use it to His glory. Stay strong in Him!
    Kirsten recently posted..How I Get it All Done

September 6, 2014 at 8:46 am

Kirsten, I am so thankful you stopped by! I left a comment over on your blog, and I believe I referred to you as “Kristen”. Old eyes! Have a blessed weekend.

Chris Malkemes
    September 6, 2014 at 4:01 am

You are in my prayers. I don’t know why, but I keep imagining great and wonderful things you do not know. I keep seeing Him take you from the good to the great. I am confident of this you will see the glory of The Lord in the land of the living for He shows Himself faithful to the faithful. It does take courage to walk in the mysteries knowing only that He holds those mysteries. I will not pretend to understand what you’re going through. It is not the path He laid out for me. But, I do know you are safely in the palm of His hand because you are of the people of the yielded heart.
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..Be Holy

September 6, 2014 at 8:47 am

Chris, you are such an encouragement to my heart. Thank you for your prayers and your friendship.

Joanne Viola
    September 6, 2014 at 4:08 am

Barbie, I loved how you wrote, “Courage is faith with shoes on.” We keep moving forward, trusting the One who sees what is in front of us – even when we do not. I am grateful God crossed our paths. He has used you in my life to confirm my One Word 2014 which is Faith so many times already this year. Know I am praying for you & for God’s provision at this time. Blessings, friend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Of Rest, Sheep & Aging

September 6, 2014 at 8:48 am

Thank you Joanne! He is faithful.

Kathryn Shirey
    September 6, 2014 at 4:35 am

Saying a prayer for you in this time of change and transition. Change is hard! But, I love your faith of knowing God has a plan already for you. He knows your story and will guide you through this next phase. Maybe He even has something more amazing planned and just needed you to be freed up for the opportunity.
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..A Better Change: Reset Your Default Response

September 6, 2014 at 8:48 am

Kathryn, YES! I do believe He has big things in store. Thanks for stopping by.

Carmen Horne
    September 6, 2014 at 5:42 am

Thanks for writing on courage today. I have had to put on my faith shoes big time this year and God has walked so faithfully with me. I know He will be with your family every step of the way. May God’s favor and blessings shine on your family in such a way that your testimony will blow us all away! Hugs to you!
    Carmen Horne recently posted..How the healing came…

September 6, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thank you Carmen. I receive that!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    September 6, 2014 at 6:22 am

My dear friend….I know that spot where you are….and YES each step take so much courage. I’m reminded that we need to “be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.” None of it is about our strength and power. Not one ittty bittty bit. Instead as Paul says “when I am weak he is strong.” This time of onion peeling….the shedding ourselves for more of him. It takes courage. Just as much as it takes courage to trust. And sometimes even more courage to walk in faith. God’s upside down world is a challenge to our thinking. As my friend always said as she was going through a tough time…”I just need to take one step.” It’s so easy to look beyond the one step, because that is where our minds go crazy and doubts and fears seep in.

May you sense God’s strength holding you up and guiding your “one step” all day long. [hugs]
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..White and Blueberry Tablescape for Summer’s End

September 6, 2014 at 8:50 am

Thank you Diane. One step at a time. I appreciate your encouragement and your prayers.

Heather
    September 6, 2014 at 7:03 am

I’m praying for surprise blessings in this coming season for you. And provisions for your family. You know we went through no income for two years. I wouldn’t go back and change if given the chance, because so much blessing flowed through that time. I wrote just today about the thing that got me through that time and the other hard times. It replaced the fear of the unknown.

I didn’t get a link out on it to link up here, but I’ll share it so you can hopefully be encouraged by it my friend.

I’ve got big changes coming too. And I didn’t mention in my words today that I lost more than half my income last month!

But God IS. And THAT is all we need to know.
    Much love
    Heather
    Heather recently posted..BIG CHANGES… How Could I Say ‘No’?

September 6, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thank you for your encouragement Heather. Your post today spoke to my heart. Hugs!

Jedidja
    September 6, 2014 at 7:26 am

O Barbie, its the echo from my heart. THANKS! I wish you receive strong faith in our Helper, every day. By His Spirit He wants to give faith and power to weak little people. I loved the quote in the photo.

God bless you and your family and blog.
    Jedidja recently posted..Je komt hier doorheen. Echt!

September 6, 2014 at 8:51 am

Love and appreciate you Jedidja!

June
    September 6, 2014 at 7:31 am

Barbie, my heart aches for what you are going through. It must feel like a betrayal, of sorts. And yet, God’s promises are true. It may sound trite – but it’s not – it’s power. There is power in submitting to Him, in all things. Being thankful, yes, in all things. There is power in weakness. There is beauty for ashes and gladness for mourning. There is all those things. And they will be yours. Love you. Praying for you.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . my companions

September 6, 2014 at 8:52 am

Yes and AMEN! Thankful for your prayers!

Ginger Harrington
    September 6, 2014 at 7:55 am

Much love and many prayers I am sending your way. Courage is faith with shoes on is so true. It is faith applied in the challenge. I love the testimony of faith that rises from your words. You inspire and bless me as you share your grief at losing something you love. So hard. This is not the end of the story and there are many good things to come. Courage puts on those shoes of faith and walks forward into those good things. Courage is also the faith to believe that God is good and will continue to be good despite how things appear.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..Living Miracles at Summer’s End

September 6, 2014 at 8:53 am

Ginger, you are a constant encouragement to me. Thankful for you!

Elizabeth
    September 6, 2014 at 8:12 am

I am praying that God opens doors and provides for you and your husband in such clearly, miraculous ways! I also pray that as you have faithfully walked through this valley season you will seen the light at the end of the tunnel very soon and will look back on all of God’s faithfulness in the dark times.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psalm 25:9 and a few thoughts on humility…

September 6, 2014 at 8:53 am

AMEN! Thank you Elizabeth.

~ linda
    September 6, 2014 at 8:52 am

Dear Barbie,
    As I lift you and your husband in prayer this morning, I sense those shoes walking and that courage and faith are so melded together. May the peace of our God rain upon you in this time and that His Presence surround you and your husband as He guides you in His perfect will.
    Yes, I am sorry you are having to go through this time. I also know that He is faithful and merciful. His love will carry you through.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Rooted

September 6, 2014 at 8:54 am

Your prayers are felt Linda. Thank you!

Sharon
    September 6, 2014 at 10:04 am

Of course, Barbie, I will pray for you. Life has such a way of arriving sometimes so suddenly, and we can be thrown a curveball we were never expecting. Our steps can become uncertain, and the future looms frighteningly unknown. For other reasons, I have been walking through a season of tremendous anxiety, and I know what it feels like to feel what you’re talking about. All I can do is what you have talked about – and it is what I will pray for both of us. That we will hold on to the Truth that we know – God is with us – and that He will strengthen our shaky legs and move us forward in faith.

Even though I want to know what the future holds, and then be able to control it – I want to know Him more. May you be comforted with His presence, and surrounded by His peace.

GOD BLESS!
    Sharon recently posted..I AIN’T GOT NO BODY

September 6, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Thank you Sharon. I so appreciate your prayers.

Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily)
    September 6, 2014 at 10:12 am

Oh, sweet Barbie…
    It is one thing to be expected to HAVE faith. It’s completely another to be expected to LIVE faith. Please know that you are not alone, not ever. We will be covering you in prayer, listening when you need to talk it out, helping when and how we can.

“I have been young and now I am old,
    Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
    Or his descendants begging bread.” – Psalm 37:25

I pray that God will overwhelm you and your family with His provisions and bless you in all that you attempt, beyond what you could have imagined. Thank you for writing with such hope and courage. It’s lovely to see you living your faith.

Love you. Heart Hugs, Shelly <3
    Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily) recently posted..For That Is What We Are

September 6, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thank you Shelly. I feel your prayers.

Carol
    September 6, 2014 at 11:58 am

Dear Barbie,
    I am praying with and for you in this new season. I pray that God will provide for your family richly and guide you in the role he has for you. Blessings,
    Carol
    Carol recently posted..A Call to Prayer

September 6, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thanks for your prayers Carol!

Patty
    September 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Barbie,
    I almost didn’t comment because you know I’m praying and waiting with you, knowing God will move and actually is moving. His work is deeper than our ability to see. I am so grateful for the others here who express support to you, letting you know you are not alone at all. Not even close.
    Love ~ Patty

September 6, 2014 at 8:50 pm

You are a constant in my life Patty. I am truly grateful for you!

Jamie S Harper
    September 6, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Barbie,

I am sorry to hear your news. I am praying for you!
    Jamie S Harper recently posted..childlike me

September 6, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Thank you Jamie!

Cherry
    September 6, 2014 at 5:21 pm

So sorry to hear of your concerning situation – and praying that God will give peace and a sense of His presence through this time. I especially liked these words: courage is faith with shoes on. Love that – thank you for sharing these encouraging words in the midst of your situation.
    Cherry recently posted..Garden Bow Tie Salad

September 6, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Thank you for stopping by Cherry!

Kathryn Ross
    September 6, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Blessings, Barb! Oh, how I know your walk! I am preparing to write about my own faith challenges in the same vein as yours – and all I can say is that GOD IS FAITHFUL AND HAS A PLAN! I have only this summer come to finally see where the Lord has been directing me – through closing doors one at a time. Yes, it is scary. I can totally sympathize with you. My devotions theme this month on Memorial Stones will address an aspect of what I have learned to hold onto in these times of trial. Barb – may you know His comforts and take joy in this journey. There IS Light at the end of the tunnel.
    Be ye blessed with peace as you trust in Him!
    Joy!
    Kathy

September 6, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I appreciate your prayers Kathy!

Jacqui
    September 6, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Oh Barbie, I’m so sorry! You and your family are in my prayers. Much love, friend.

September 7, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much Jacqui!

Denise
    September 7, 2014 at 3:05 am

Love, love “Courage is faith with shoes on.” So beautiful Barbie! 🙂 I am so sorry you are leaving what you love and have been blessed with (and I am sure you have been such a blessing to others!). But I am faithful and sure that God has other plans, and is using you to share and bless others….He has another door open just for you sweet friend!!
    Love you sister!
    Denise recently posted..Doors of Opportunity

September 7, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I’m trusting in His plan Denise. Thank you for your encouragement.

Dawn Paoletta (@breathoffaith)
    September 7, 2014 at 5:39 am

Barbie, I loved this BUT I will be back to comment and visit my link up friend (s) after church! Hugs!
    Dawn Paoletta (@breathoffaith) recently posted..Random Journal Day #44 with Lynn D. Morrissey and a Giveaway

September 7, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Love you Dawn!

Mary Geisen
    September 7, 2014 at 7:03 am

I love that God is always in the center of faith and courage. Knowing that helps me to reach out to Him in all times. It is kind of like the saying “where the rubber meets the road”, which is what your quote “faith is courage with shoes on” reminded me of. Please know I continue to pray for you and your family. Love you friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Sunday Morning Always Comes-One

September 7, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I know that God is faithful. Asking for eyes to see the beauty in this season.

Satin
    September 7, 2014 at 10:06 am

Oh Friend, my heart hurts for you. Oh how I understand that fear looming at your heart & mind. As I am walking through different circumstances, one thing we share in this is that God is asking us both “Do you trust me? Do you believe that when I promised to always provide… that I will?” In a world of finite, we crave to see the end results before we commit… yet faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things NOT SEEN… we have to CHOOSE to trust and CHOOSE to believe. Faith and believe is our choice and Jesus is ever present in our time of need as we learn to walk by faith, one.step.at.a.time.

I’m here for you as you journey through this. Please know you’re not alone-I’m shaking in my boots too… because this faith walk isn’t easy for me either! I’ve got your back, by lifting you up in prayers! Thank you for covering me in prayer as well!

Love you!
    Satin recently posted..Heart of Gratitude

September 7, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Thank you Satin. I am so grateful for you! I so appreciate your prayers and encouragement. Lifting you up as well my friend. God is good!

Sandra Heska King
    September 7, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Continuing to pray, sweet friend.
    Sandra Heska King recently posted..Scripture Sunday: Everlasting Love

September 7, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Thank you so much Sandra!

Lea
    September 7, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Oh, Barbie, this saddens my heart for you so much. It is so evident that you are called to the ministry that you have there at your church and I do pray that in time you will be able to return to it. It is so hard to see the good in the tough times of our lives and often it does take a long time to do so, but hopefully good will come from the various situations that you are facing. May you feel the presence, power and peace of our Lord during these days. Hugs to you!
    Lea recently posted..Friday Letters

September 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm

God is good! He is faithful. I choose to believe. Thank you for your encouragement Lea!

Melody
    September 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Oh Barbie I am so sorry but so glad you shared so we could know how to pray specifically. Asking God to provide and open new doors for you to walk through.
    Melody recently posted..My friend – she got saved and baptized and I’m in awe of our God!

September 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for your prayers Melody!

Holly Barrett
    September 7, 2014 at 2:54 pm

This–>”Courage is faith with shoes on.” Oh how I love that!! I’ve walked in your shoes, friend. Getting laid off is awful. Getting laid off from a church is horrible. I’m so sorry you are having to go through that. What God taught me through it is that He is never gonna leave me. I knew that to be true, but until you see it in practice, it’s easy to doubt. Love you!! Know that we are all praying for you! xoxo
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Image of the invisible God

September 7, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Love you Holly. You are a gift to me.

Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine
    September 7, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Barbie friend…You’re held in prayer. Our family has been down a similar path and I can tell you that God meets the needs of His children faithfully. Keep your shoes on and walk where the Lord leads. He knows best. Thank you for letting me pray for you and for hosting.
    Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine recently posted..12 Names God Calls You

September 7, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Thank you friend. I appreciate you!

Kym
    September 7, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Praying that your faith in Christ will give you the courage you need in the days ahead!
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot: September 6, 2014

September 7, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Kym!

Jen
    September 7, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’m putting my “shoes” on in the area of my marriage. We’re working through a tough place right now, but I have no doubt that God is at work in the midst of it. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to allow for sorrow and tears in the hard times. I’ve been reminded often these past few years that even Jesus, perfect Son of God, wept. 🙂
    Jen
    Jen recently posted..Verses That Pack a Punch (and #TheLoft)

September 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Jen, I will be praying that God will do His wok in your marriage, and in both you and your husband. He is able! Thank you for stopping by and sharing.

Jennifer
    September 8, 2014 at 12:00 am

Barbie, I am so sorry! Praying for continued courage and peace here, friend. Love to you!
    Jennifer recently posted..I Want to Stay in the Stillness with You

September 8, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Thank you Jennifer. Miss you!

Cassandra M. Stewart / Renaissance Women
    September 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

God Bless You, Barbie!

I will certainly be praying for you and your family as I know from experience how frightening and frustrating it is to be unemployed. I also know from experience how God shows Himself to be strong in this type of situation. I’m telling you from my own experience that during my unemployment my family did not go hungry and we did not lack. It actually was one of the seasons where the faith of my children grew strong because they saw with their own two eyes the truth of what their mom had been telling them all their lives: God does not forsake His people – ever. I pray that you and your family will find this same blessing during this trying time.

Many Blessings to you and your family.

~ Cassandra from Renaissance Women
    Cassandra M. Stewart / Renaissance Women recently posted..My Front Door

September 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Thank you for praying Cassandra, and for your encouragement.

Rosann
    September 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I am absolutely praying for you, sweet friend! And, I’m waiting in expectation for God’s wow moment. I believe His plan is far better than anything you could ever hope or ask for. (((Hugs)))
    Rosann recently posted..Teaching Our Children to Live Their Christian Faith

September 11, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Thanks so much Rosann!

charis
    September 12, 2014 at 9:34 pm

barbie! i just heard about this today! i had no idea. i am so so sorry. i am praying for you friend, and for everyone. love you all so much.
    charis recently posted..simple woman’s daybook 1.29.14