36 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Lead Me To The Rock

LeadMe_Rock

I’m not much for rock climbing.  Actually, I’m not really the active, outdoorsy type.  I love to be outside, breathing in fresh air and allowing a gentle, cool wind to brush against my cheeks while I listen to the leaves crunch underneath my feet.  But rock climbing is not my idea of fun.

Sometimes, God calls us to climb.

I am learning that the higher I go, the easier it is to breath and the clearer it is to see. Getting to the top though, is often met with resistance, fear, exhaustion and feelings of wanting to turn back and run to lower ground.

When our hearts are faint and we cannot see, and the air we breathe feels harsh and filled with pollution, what else can we do but cry out to the One who has gone before us and prepared the way.

[Tweet “When life gets hard and overwhelming, we must be willing to climb higher.”]

It is when our vision is cloudy that we must reach higher, pulling on His strength, and asking for a greater perspective.

Jesus is the Rock, and His ways are higher than our ways.  We may not understand why things happen the way they do, but we can rest in the truth that He will never lead us where He has not already gone.  He is a good Father and His desire is to lighten our load.

But sometimes He calls us to climb up the mountain, and leave it at the top as an offering for His glory.

Are you in the midst of a climb?  My prayer is that God would strengthen you and refresh you on the journey.  Don’t give up.  Don’t turn back.  You are almost to the top!

Barbie's Weekend Brew buttonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Elizabeth
    September 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I love Psalm 18:33 in the Amplified Bible. “He makes my feet like hinds’ feet [able to stand firmly or make progress on the dangerous heights of testing and trouble]; He sets me securely upon my high places.” I”ve leaned on this verse many times when I go through the hard places on my journey with God.

September 19, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Oh yes! And My Hinds Feet on High Places study is really bringing this truth home for me. Have a beautiful weekend.

Kathryn Shirey
    September 20, 2014 at 3:35 am

Love the visual of climbing the mountain! God calls us to keep moving forward, even when in a tough time, trusting him as we put one foot in front of the other – sometimes those steps leading us on a very steep climb up a mountain. I’ve learned some of my greatest lessons and had most significant personal growth while climbing “mountains” with God.
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..Where Is Your Focus – On Risk or Reward?

September 20, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I tend to shy away from the climb, but He’s brought me through some tough seasons and He has always proven faithful in the climb. Thanks for stopping by and for linking up!

Joanne Viola
    September 20, 2014 at 3:50 am

Barbie, I cannot help but think as I read your post this morning that it is only as we climb higher, we gain a clearer view. As we climb higher, we get a clear view of what is up ahead, and where we need to go. As we climb higher, our line of vision is changed & becomes much clearer. Wise post! May we keep climbing higher. Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..5 For the Soul

September 20, 2014 at 10:26 pm

It’s so true. Heights tend to scare me, but I am thankful He goes before me and guards my every step.

Jodie Dye
    September 20, 2014 at 4:44 am

Hello Barbie, I am new to your Weekend Brew. Thanks for the link up and inspiration to climb higher.

September 20, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Welcome Jodie! Looking forward to stopping by your blog soon. Thanks for stopping by and linking up!

Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life
    September 20, 2014 at 5:53 am

This is lovely, Barbie! Thanks for encouraging my spirit this morning. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs

September 20, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Blessings Lyli! Have a fabulous week.

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    September 20, 2014 at 6:04 am

It’s good to ‘hear’ the hope and expectation in your ‘voice’ today, Barbie!
    May your weekend be filled with extraordinary moments of God’s grace and love!
    [hugs]
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..7 Lovely Fall Wreaths :: What a Great Idea! from Project Inspire{d}

September 20, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Thank you sweet friend. I’m clinging the Giver of Hope today!

Linda@Creekside
    September 20, 2014 at 6:37 am

My, there’s always a climb isn’t there, Barbie. Often a complete surpirise, an unexpected set-back, but a golden opportunity all the same.

I’m oh so grateful that He’s the guide. Experienced. Compassionate. Gracious.

Weekend blessings …
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..Daily Graces

September 20, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Me too Linda!

Gentle Joy
    September 20, 2014 at 7:31 am

Barbie…. great thoughts… I am in the midst of a climb… a hard one and I have seen so many evidences of God’s strengthening power…. but I still feel tired…. I needed to hear this today.. Thank you. 🙂
    Gentle Joy recently posted..Mom, Will You Snuggle With Me?

September 20, 2014 at 10:30 pm

It is exhausting to keep climbing, isn’t it? I am also in the midst of a climb and my human self wants to turn and run. But He promises to lead us all the way and make our feet like hinds feet. Stay steady friend. He’s with you!

Gentle Joy
        September 23, 2014 at 5:57 pm

It really is exhausting, you’re right. I am striving to stay steady in trusting God and keeping my eyes on Him, and I really appreciate the encouragement… I will be praying the same for you…. you have blessed me. Thank you. 🙂
        Gentle Joy recently posted..Tea In The Garden…

Ginger Harrington
    September 20, 2014 at 9:07 am

The climb is such a work out! Keep reaching forward, knowing there are lot’s of us climbing too!
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..Continue the Conversation

September 20, 2014 at 10:30 pm

It’s exhausting! Have a blessed week Ginger!

Deb Wolf
    September 20, 2014 at 10:08 am

This is beautiful Barbie. I’m not outdoorsy either, but the analogy is perfect. Lead me to the Rock that is Higher and my firm foundation! We will keep climbing sweet sister. Blessings and hugs!
    Deb Wolf recently posted..Quit People Pleasing – Balance Around the Blogosphere & Linkup

September 20, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Thankful to climb alongside of you on this journey Deb!

bluecottonmemory
    September 20, 2014 at 8:12 pm

“He is a good Father and His desire is to lighten our load. But sometimes He calls us to climb up the mountain, and leave it at the top as an offering ” – my heart has been faint for a season – but He hasn’t left me – Oh, yes – He leads me to the rock that is Him! Good words for a faint heart, Barbie!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..fading into grace

September 20, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Written from a heart that is also faint. Hugs!

Mary Geisen
    September 21, 2014 at 7:12 am

Your words described life when challenges threaten to overtake. I also was reminded of our book study “hind’s Feet on High Places” Ch. 10 where Much-Afraid is in the middle of the climb of her life. I am praying for you and your current climb. I know God will meet you right where you are. Hugs and love!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Sunday Morning Aways Comes-Unchained

September 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Our books study was inspiration in writing this post. Thank you for your continued prayers.

Donna from Holimess
    September 21, 2014 at 10:30 am

Climbing the mountain with Jesus. Thank you for such an encouraging post, Barbie.
    Donna from Holimess recently posted..Bedford Gray

Holly Barrett
    September 21, 2014 at 10:42 am

Today, I’m so glad that He is our Rock.
    Holly Barrett recently posted..the Rock eternal

September 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Me too Holly! Thanks for stopping by.

Carrie
    September 21, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Oh how I need this encouragement, thank you! Some days it feels as if the cliff is perpendicular to my feet, straight up and impossible to imagine climbing! Thankfully, God places certain people in our lives to tell us, Don’t give up! You can do it! Hugs, friend!
    Carrie recently posted..A Blessed Reminder

September 21, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Love you Carrie!

Julie Lefebure
    September 21, 2014 at 1:31 pm

This is beautiful and filled with encouragement and truth. Climbing higher helps us also to lighten our load of the unimportant things of this life. May we keep our eyes set on Him as we climb! Blessings to you today, dear friend!
    Julie Lefebure recently posted..Sunday Truth: Do Good Anyway

September 21, 2014 at 10:30 pm

So true! We cannot possibly climb higher with all of the unnecessary baggage we carry. Hugs!

Tanya
    September 21, 2014 at 10:44 pm

You just prepared me to face the tough times that I see ahead. Thank you so much!

-Tanya

September 24, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Thankful you stopped by Tanya!

Debbie G.
    September 22, 2014 at 5:07 am

Hi Barbie! Rock climbing is certainly not my idea of fun either… physically or spiritually. It’s hard work. But the rewards are great – the better perspective and sense of accomplishment are worth it. Thanks for hosting The Weekend Brew.

September 24, 2014 at 8:03 pm