49 In Faith/ Weekend Whispers

Day 11: Teach Me To Trust (The Weekend Brew)

Day11_Change

This post is part of a 31 day series on change, where I share my reflections in just 5 minutes.  To read all of the posts in this series, click here.

BlogDivider

Trust

Day 11_Trust

As a Christian, I don’t like to admit when I am running from fear. But this week, it caught up with me. All of the “what if’s” connected to my unemployment, the fact that my husband is making very little money right now, and the fact that we have an ever growing pile of bills, let alone our rent, all coming due in just  a few short weeks. I’ve tried so hard to push it back to where it came from, but sometimes it overtakes you.

One thing I realize this week is I let my guard down. I’ve lacked a few days of Bible reading, I haven’t been pressing in to His presence and I know that He is the only one that can give me the peace that I so need in this season. In the midst of the storm, I took my eyes off of Jesus and found myself in the dark, mirky water, reaching for air.  I forgot to put my armor on this week, and left myself open to spiritual, physical and emotional attack.  Fear got a hold of me and sat like a ton of bricks on my chest. I felt crushed underneath the weight of it, gasping for air as I cried out to God to bring breakthrough.

Yes, my circumstances are very real and what I am facing in my lack is real.  But, my God is bigger!  I have to choose to believe that He will do what He said He would do. I have to choose to trust that He will provide — Jehovah Jireh, my Provider. His grace is sufficient.

My prayer is that in this season, God would teach me to trust Him at a greater level than I ever have before. I cannot hold onto the past, and I cannot control my future.  In this season when I am being stripped of everything I know, I pray that I will draw closer and trust the One who is worthy, the One who satisfies my dry and weary soul.

My security is not found in a job, or monetary gain.  My security is found in Jesus and in Him alone.

Teach me to trust You, Lord.  For your yoke is easy, your burden light.  I choose to believe that You have good things up ahead.  I will trust you with my future.

Barbie's Weekend Brew buttonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Kathryn Shirey
    October 11, 2014 at 2:54 am

Saying a prayer for you in this time of transition. I find trust is one of the hardest parts of change – and trusting God about finances is one of the toughest ones for me. Praying for His provision for you and that He’ll illuminate a path of next steps for you.
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..Jesus Is Waiting, Even When We Fall Away

October 12, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Thank you so much Kathryn. Believing for breakthrough this week!

Chris Malkemes
    October 11, 2014 at 4:07 am

Barbie. Be of good cheer, for the Lord your God is with you:

The truth is, it takes faith to trust Him.
    It takes a sacrifice to yield.
    It takes an effort to be grateful.

He comes to the bowed head.
    He touches the yielded heart.
    Composing praise moves us into the holy

A miracle is released in the sacrifice of praise.
    Trembling lips feel the full-faced touch of the Sovereign.
    Life is abundant just because He’s in it.

We trust Him.
    We trust Him for beauty we do not see.
    We trust Him for songs we do not hear.

He is working all things out for our good.
    He is faithful in His faithfulness.
    He is glorious in His majesty.

He is amazing in His redemption.
    He is right in His salvation.
    He is true to Himself.

In the sacrifice of praise we allow Him to work.
    In the sacrifice of praise His plans are perfected in us.
    In the sacrifice of praise He is working all things out for our good.
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..Voices From The Berea House – Doug & Deborah Lee

October 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

LOVE this! Thank you!

Chris Malkemes
    October 11, 2014 at 4:09 am

Barbie, I will not be with the weekend brew for the month of October. I have dedicated my blog to the Lord for the 40th anniversary of Berea House. I am doing legacy stories and testimonies. Love ya and so excited about God is doing in your life.

October 12, 2014 at 3:28 pm

No worries friend. I need to catch up o our series!

Sharon
    October 11, 2014 at 4:35 am

I don’t know how to grab a button. I’d love to post yours on my site. Also I didn’t mean to post my own picture, but they didn’t give me other options. Have a great day! It’s kind of you to let us link here.
    Sharon
    Sharon recently posted..What’s So Incredible About the Game With Minutes?

October 12, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Sharon, I sent you a Facebook message about the button. Let me know if you need help. Thanks for linking up with The Weekend Brew.

Jen @ Growing in Faith
    October 11, 2014 at 4:44 am

Those stresses can be overwhelming in an instant, and I struggle with trying to hand them over to Jesus. But when I do? What a relief to know He can see down and road and will only work for my best!
    Jen @ Growing in Faith recently posted..#write31days {Teaching to Grow}

October 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm

So thankful Jen!

Michelle Anderson
    October 11, 2014 at 5:11 am

Oh boy. I’m praying God provide for you and for peace and faith and trust!
    Michelle Anderson recently posted..transformed by renewing my mind_day 11

October 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Thank you so much Michelle!

Jennifer Kostick
    October 11, 2014 at 5:24 am

Barbie, I’m praying for you. God is faithful and I’m believing for a breakthrough in your life. May you breathe in His peace today, sweet friend!
    Jennifer Kostick recently posted..What Makes You Beautiful? 31 Days of Living Brave (Day 11: A Silent Joseph)

October 12, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Thank you Jennifer. I am believing for the breakthrough to come this week. Thank you for your prayers. I need to catch up on your blog!

Elaine Ezell
    October 11, 2014 at 5:25 am

Hi Barbie, Today is my first time to visit The Weekend Brew. I am touched by your honesty and willingness to be open. That is not an easy thing to do and I know that God will bless it in your own life and the lives of others. I’ve posted an older link (item 12 in the link up) that contains a scripture God gave me during an overwhelming time in my life. I hope it eases your heart as it does mine.
    Wishing you God’s best,
    Elaine
    Nice to meet you.
    Elaine Ezell recently posted..Scenes from the Country – No. 7

October 12, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Thank you for stopping by Elaine!

Holly Barrett
    October 11, 2014 at 6:08 am

Thinking of you and praying for you every day! Thanks for the reminder that life seems all the more difficult when we let our guard down. Much love to you!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Day 11: You will not fall into temptation

October 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Love you Holly!

Dawn
    October 11, 2014 at 6:37 am

Dear Barbie,
    I have fallen into that fear cycle many times where things that I just can’t control get ahead of me. You are right, when we take our eyes off of the Lord, our only true source of provision and abundance then we are looking at the wrong thing. We are looking at the mountain looming in front of us and it grows daily ( sometimes by the minute) out of proportion so that we begin to doubt whether God can really get us over it. But for God’s amazing grace, isn’t that a beautiful sound, He comes in and rescues us from this mess we often make of our faith and shows us the way around, over or through that mountain.
    Praying for mustard seed faith to move mountains and for windfall blessing to bring hope and recharge you for the journey.
    Blessings,
    Dawn
    Dawn recently posted..For when the valley seems long… Look Up!

October 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm

AMEN Dawn! Thank you for encouraging my heat today.

Linda@Creekside
    October 11, 2014 at 7:23 am

Dear Barbie … may you see Him supply your needs in winsome ways that leave you breathless …
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..Dwell * autumn nesting delights

October 12, 2014 at 3:35 pm

YES and AMEN Linda!

Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life
    October 11, 2014 at 7:25 am

Amen

Hugs and prayers

October 12, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lyli!

Pam
    October 11, 2014 at 7:29 am

Barbie, I so relate to what yo are saying here…. Unemployment except for occasional temp jobs these last several years, and not much coming in. And trying to market my work. Yesterday I was feeling the same way… sometimes the people I’m trying to interest in my work just seem to think it is a hobby, and I feel like I’m’ pushing too much. Where is money going to come from to pay bills? God reminds me, keep thanking Him for what I do not yet see, that He has open doors for us beyond our imagination. I stand in agreement prayer with you too!

October 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Saying a prayer for you too my friend!

Joan
    October 11, 2014 at 7:36 am

This is so hard, Barbie…I’m so sorry you and your family are experiencing this. But you are right! Our God is bigger! I’m praying that He gives you comfort during this season as you trust in Him.

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..The God of My Strength

October 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Thanks Joan! Have a blessed week.

Jen Avellenada
    October 11, 2014 at 8:55 am

Oh Barbie, this is the second post I have read today about “running away from fear”. The first post talked about emotionally leaving even when it LOOKS like we are present..and then there is yours. Oh this truth that God is speaking. I think God is trying to say something to me..what do ya think!? Haha Thanks for always sharing in such refreshing honesty and for baring your heart so that as we come to read here, we all can too!
    Jen Avellenada recently posted..By: Barbie

October 12, 2014 at 3:38 pm

God is speaking! Let’s trust Him together, shall we?

Robyn
    October 11, 2014 at 10:34 am

Praying for you today Barbie! Blessings on your day and may you trust Him more and more as you go. I posted a link to encourage you, but the caption under the thumbnail say’s ‘Walk by Fait’ instead of ‘Walk by Faith’. LOL! Which is the opposite of what I wanted to convey, but I’m sure you understand. Thanks for this encouraging post for me to trust Him more as well.
    Robyn recently posted..Staying Out of the Emotional Pool

October 12, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Robyn. I appreciate your encouragement.

Carrie
    October 11, 2014 at 1:14 pm

You are so brave to share all this with us, friend. Keeping you close in my heart.
    Carrie recently posted..Fragility

October 12, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Love you Carrie!

Charis
    October 11, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I was just talking with a friend this week about how when we aren’t diligent to make time to connect with God, it is so much harder to have hope and perspective and trust in our circumstances. I know this in my head, but then I forget over and over again. Praying that He meets you during this time and it is one of your sweetest times of knowing His great care and tenderness towards you.
    Charis recently posted..day 11: a simple reminder

October 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thank you Charis. I am so glad you are writing again 🙂

June
    October 11, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I started to leave a comment earlier and was interrupted. I can see you clearly, Barbie, snuggled up against His chest. Can you see His wings covering you? Feel them against your cheek, like the kisses of an angel? I know the fear feels real. But the reality is, you are secure, beloved. Covered by His blood, and protected in His embrace. Praying for you.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . more than JOY

October 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Oh how you’ve encouraged my heart. Thank you June!

Elizabeth
    October 11, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I hate that panicky fearful feeling when you can’t see a way out! The enemy loves to take advantage of us in times of trouble. Oh, how we’ve been in situations like that! Things didn’t always turn out the way we thought they would, but I can honestly say, they always worked out for our good. God has never failed us yet, and He won’t start now as the song goes!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Galatians 6:2…

October 12, 2014 at 3:54 pm

AMEN! Have a blessed week Elizabeth!

Mary Geisen
    October 12, 2014 at 6:37 am

I am praying your words of trusting in God with you today. Allowing God to be our everything and to teach us what it means to really trust Him in all can be difficult. Leaning into Him and allowing Him to catch you when you fall, sounds easy but takes blind faith. Releasing it all to Him is where the rubber meets the road. God is enough and God will provide. Love you, friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Sunday Morning Always Comes-Release

October 12, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Love and hugs to you Mary!

Dawn Paoletta (@breathoffaith)
    October 12, 2014 at 10:32 am

I so relate to all of this, my friend. ANd one verse that I love to remind myself of in 2 Peter 1:3 – wher it says all things pertaining to life…because not only the spiritual life but LIFE in general. Like our basic needs….I hate to say this because we are still living it…but, medical bills still piling, and unsure of the future…and yet, He calls us to peace. I don’t get it , Barbie but it’s there. SO with you in the journey. With love and prayers for all of the unknown things…and our trust in the One who is known, bu us! HUgs!
    Dawn Paoletta (@breathoffaith) recently posted..The Master Planner and Me

October 12, 2014 at 3:55 pm

He’s our source, my friend. Lifting you up and knowing He will bring the provision, for both of us.

Kathryn Ross
    October 12, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Bless you, Barb! We’re all in tight places of late, it seems. Driving us to our knees – building our faith and moving mountains. Hold fast – He is faithful.
    Joy!
    Kathy
    Kathryn Ross recently posted..Spinning Fear & Pain into Gold

Kym
    October 12, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Praying for you and yours in this time of waiting and trusting God’s timing.
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot: October 11, 2014

Anita Ojeda
    October 13, 2014 at 8:19 am

Praying for you, sweet friend. God IS in control and while the road seems narrow, dark and scary, he will provide.
    Anita Ojeda recently posted..Quick (and the Inspire Me Mondays Link Up)

Mary Dolan Flaherty
    October 13, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Barbie, I’m sorry that you’re in the middle of a battle, but that only means that God’s got something good for you. You are a threat to the enemy, especially because of your devotion to our Lord, and hosting this Weekend Brew. I pray that you will continue to keep your eyes focused on Him.
    Mary Dolan Flaherty recently posted..Overcoming Negativity: Day 12: Get Tough

gwyneth
    October 26, 2014 at 8:06 am

thank you for your beautiful reflection on trust.
    stay strong. you are an inspiration
    god bless