Day 12: To Lie Down And Rest

Day12_Change

This post is part of a 31 day series on change, where I share my reflections in just 5 minutes.  To read all of the posts in this series, click here.

BlogDivider

Rest

Day11_Rest

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
(Psalm 23:1-3 ESV)

Rest.  It’s something we all need. When you are on the verge of burnout and your body begins so show signs of wear, that is one way the Lord reminds us that we must rest.  But, if you are like me, rest does not come easy. I like to keep myself busy, for the most part, to avoid thinking too hard about my circumstances. Even when I sit still to read or pray, I am in a constant battle to quiet my body, soul and spirit so that I can fully receive His rest.

The Lord, in His kindness, will bring us to a place of rest, one way or another. He make us lie down. For me, it was the loss of my job. I didn’t see it at first, but my body, soul and spirit needed this break in the routine of my day. For the last couple of days, I’ve literally been doing nothing but watching movies and laying down on the couch. My mind may be racing with the “what if’s”, but my body has been forced into a state of rest, and I have to admit it’s doing me so much good.

I still fight with myself every day, about the things I feel I “should be doing”. But the Lord is using this season of stillness to teach me how to be still.

[Tweet “I must allow God to do the work of restoration and not rush the process.”]

With true rest, comes restoration. And with restoration, comes healing. I am in desperate need of His touch in so many ways. I am thankful that He causes me to lie down, when I am unable or unwilling to do it on my own. I am thankful that He saves me from burnout and restores my soul.

In Your Presence, Lord, I will lie down and rest.

Join me as I share 5 Minute Reflections on Change by clicking the button below!

1. The waiting – some of the hardest moments in a change, but also some of the most critical. We have to go through the middle to allow change to happen. To cross the bridge from our old live to our new one. Praying for you in your transition!
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..Jesus Is Waiting, Even When We Fall Away

2. ~Karrilee~ says:

Love this Barbie! *You know you has me at “Rest”! 😉 Praying for you, sweet friend!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..DAY TWELVE – Counting On

3. Debbi Saunders says:

Barbie,
    What a Beautiful posts and one I think everyone needs! It especially spoke to me today! Thank you for your ministry and I will pray for God’s guidance for your new job!
    Debbi

4. June says:

Thankful for this process of restoration for you, Barbie. Praying that God will give you the strength, patience and wisdom you need during this time. PS I was so thrilled to read about the twitter #fmf pray-a-thon in your honor! God is so good!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . Day 12: JOY in Brokenness

5. Tara says:

Such a wonderful post. So important to rest and take care of ourselves. But sometimes easier said than done. I needed this reminder too! Thanks!!

6. Marie says:

Resting – waiting – doing nothing is difficult for us. We feel like we should always be doing something. I hope that I’m not alone in that. But I do find that I am more refreshed when I am resting in the Lord. Funny how that works out hmm?

thanks for this reminder!

@spreadingJOY
    Marie
    Marie recently posted..Thankfulness and Ordinary Joy

• Barbie says:

I am definitely more refreshed when I am able to let the busyness go and just be in His presence. Thanks for stopping by Marie!

7. Misty Brown says:

Thank you for this post. I often know when I need to rest and say it when I know that I need it, yet, I continue to go and go. I find it hard to rest and always tell others I know what rest means, but I just cannot do it. I keep telling myself I better learn to rest or else the Lord will make me rest.

It is important that we perform temple maintenance and take care of the of the one body we are given. Rest ! Rest! Rest!

8. Carrie says:

I’m so glad the Lord is bringing you rest. We mothers aren’t used to it, are we? I’ve had to learn too. And it makes me a more pleasant, calm person to be around when I listen to my body and stop “doing”. Lifting you and your family up in my prayers, Barbie!
    Carrie recently posted..Fragility

9. Sweet rest… I’ve been experiencing the reward of it as well. I didn’t realize how much I needed it until I just listened and jumped in. I am glad you are finding rest, Barbie. It will serve your soul well. 🙂
    Heather @40YearWanderer recently posted..Beating Chronic Pain: Healing and Hope Inside His Plan {Part 1}