Day 13: All Is Work

Day13_Change

This post is part of a 31 day series on change, where I share my reflections in just 5 minutes.  To read all of the posts in this series, click here.

BlogDivider

Work

Day13_work

I’ve been looking for work now for about three weeks. I’ve submitted so many resumes, and have had several leads from my Recruiter. But still, there is no work to be found, at least, not yet.

You would think that I would be enjoying my down time, not having to get up and go in the morning. So many people would welcome a break from their work day, and I understand that. But I like to work. It keeps my mind off of all of the things that weigh me down. I like to know that I am making a contribution, that I am making a difference. For so many years, what I have called my work became “who I was”.  My work became a part of my identity and it’s hard to know how to go about my day with out doing what I’ve always done.

But just because I’m no longer getting paid to do the work that I once did, there is still work to be had.  The Bible is clear in that no matter what it is that I do, I should work so as to please the Lord.  I’ve had a lot of time to reflect and pray into the next seasons of what “work” means for me.  I am also looking around and seeing all of the work that I’ve neglected, due to a full time job and just being tired at the end of the day.

• My marriage needs work.
  • My relationships with my children need work.
  • My house needs a complete overhaul.
  • I have several bags of donations that need to be taken to the thrift store.
  • My pantry is overflowing with who knows what and needs a good organization.
  • There is dusting, vacuuming and moping to be done.
  • There are bills to be paid and a restructuring of finances.

All is work, when you are doing it for the Lord, but it doesn’t have to be a drudgery. I can have joy as I use the hands the Lord has given to me to be a homemaker in this season.  I can willingly, with a heart of joy, attend to tasks that I’ve been ignoring for so long.

[Tweet “Today I will accomplish the work that God has for me right where I am at.”]

Join me as I share 5 Minute Reflections on Change by clicking the button below!

*photo credit

1. Kindsey says:

Let’s hit that pantry this coming week! I’ll help you!!!!

2. Beth says:

Praying for you, Barbie, as you seek employment. And praying for that joy He wants to bring to your heart through this season and the ones to come. Love you. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..The Promised Land {Day 7: #write31days}

3. Debbie says:

Barbie, I’ve been where you are as you know. I remember leaving my nursing career under different circumstances. I chose to leave and was ready. But I learned that part of my identity was wrapped up in being a nurse. Now that I no longer have an active nursing license and had to return to work, I’m paid so much less and am in a lowly position. But I do get to work with preschool children and feel the Lord has blessed me in this season of my life. I am surrounded by love all day long. When I have to sweep the crumbs from under the table after the children finish a snack or their lunch, I remind myself that I am working for the Lord. And then I take joy even in the sweeping!

This is a season of your life. Take this time to work on those points you wrote down Barbie. God has a plan and He will supply your needs. Maybe not your wants as I had to learn but your needs. And live with a heart of gratitude. It helped me to write down the every day blessings and I’ve continued to do that.

I’m praying for you friend.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Fall Break Blessings

• Barbie says:

Thank you so much Debbie. I miss visiting your blog often. The reading has become so hard. I appreciate your prayers! Blessings!

4. GREAT! You’re getting it girl. Get to work. I found that cleaning every inch of my house and paring down was the best thing I ever did. The Salvation Army was happy, my husband was happy (less things in the way), the kids were happy (well, not all of them. I might have gotten rid of the computer chair and that doll and that…. They didn’t need it anyway). I looked around and felt more at peace. I hadn’t realized the “stuff” had started weighing me down. I started taking one room at a time. May favorite go to book: The 15 Minute Organizer by Emilie Barnes. Worth every penny.
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..Happy Anniversary To The Berea House

• Barbie says:

I’ll have to check out that book. The misplaced rib, which was causing my neck pain, is making it hard to get off the couch. Have a blessed week.

5. I can relate in so many ways. Yes, what we used to do was where we got our identity. For me it was being a home school mom of six children, with a small business. That has all changed. I find myself not enjoying the days I am at home because that means income lost, and we can’t survive without my income. Today, however, I woke up and Thanked the Lord for a day at home……………..all the work that has been neglected is being done. It might not all get done, but my change of attitude is helping.
    Great post………..so many walking such similar paths!
    Janette Wright recently posted..Courage to Live

• Barbie says:

And that is the key Janette, to offer up thanksgiving to the Lord for what we do have, and where we currently are in life. Thank you for stopping by!

6. Rosann says:

This might be my favorite post you’ve written in this series so far. I love that you’re making the best of this time the Lord has gifted you. I know it doesn’t always feel like a gift, but He knows what you need. I love you, my friend, and I’m continuing to storm the gates of heaven in prayer for your situation. God is good – all the time.
    Rosann recently posted..In Sickness and in Health: Keeping Your Marriage Strong when a Chronic Illness Happens

• Barbie says:

Thank you Rosann. Talking it one day at a time, and trusting that the Lord is moving heaven and earth on my behalf. Hugs!

7. Brandi says:

Barbie!
    What a beautifully written post, Thank you! I too, have had to learn to let go of my “working” identity and let my identity settle on the Lord. In that same process is letting my focus IN my doing be ON Him. I pray blessings over you both in your work here and for your breakthrough in the future.

8. Christine says:

Thanks for a great reminder of all that we do, is done unto the Lord!

9. June says:

Oh, Barbie, this is such a wonderful, faith-filled perspective. I know it hasn’t come easily. I’m so proud of you!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . Day 14: JOY in Creation

10. It is so easy to draw identity from our work. I know this temptation well. Praying for you in your job search and hope you will enjoy the change of pace for a little while.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..Soul Reach