Day 4 – Learn Contentment (The Weekend Brew)

This post is part of a 31 day series on change, where I share my reflections in just 5 minutes.  To read all of the posts in this series, click here.

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:12)

Contentment does not come easy for me. I am working on accepting my reality as a gift from God. In all things, in plenty and in want, in lack and in fullness, He is God, and He is good. I long to be content in every situation, yet most often than not I find myself yearning and seeking after that which may or may not be a part of God’s plan for my life.

If I believe that God is in control of my life, then no matter where the wind takes me, I must learn to remain in a place of peace and rest, fully content (satisfied) that I have all that I need.

So what is this secret that I must learn, in order to live a life of contentment? The writer goes no to say that he can do all things through Christ who gives him strength. In order to be content, I must fully lean on the strength of the Lord, in every season. I must accept the small and the big gifts as His will. The Lord gives and He takes away, but I will bless His Name.

[Tweet “Learning to trust God as the writer of my story is necessary if I am to rise above my circumstances.”]

Change is hard, but what if God is shifting the wind for His glory? What if there is a blessing just beyond the other side?  If I continue to moan and groan, I may miss the God opportunities that are waiting for me.

Lord, help me to learn to be content in my current circumstances. You are God and you are good.

Barbie's Weekend Brew buttonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

1. Cathy says:

Excellent! “God the writer of your story.” That means it is going to be a humdinger of a journey. There are a lot of what ifs in life, but I love the What if God! Keep trusting. He will be all you need for all you need sweet friend!
    Cathy recently posted..Changing Habits

2. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, such a hard truth to embrace when the going is tough. Your graphic is beautiful in both word & photo. I think what truly struck me is that we don’t want to just get through our circumstances. We want to rise above them – seeing them from His perspective & turning them for His glory. Praying for you!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..tell me about Prayer

3. Denise says:

Oh yes Barbie! There has been little in my life that has made as much an impact as learning to be content in all things. Whether I have little or much, feel good or bad, whether it’s a work day or a play day, the secret to contentment and being fulfilled is believing that God and what He has provided for me in this very moment is all I need.
    Denise recently posted..Not Guilty!

4. Barbie. I am so proud of you I could just burst. Writing down your journey. Wow! I’m so glad you didn’t hide.
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..The Day I Sang With Angels

• Barbie says:

Thank you Chris. It would have been easier to run and hide and let life pass me by. But then, what fun would that have been? Hugs!

5. Sharon says:

Oh yes, Barbie. As a fellow struggler with issues of trust, I was most encouraged by this post. I especially liked the *tweetable* quote you used. Trust has been on my mind the last couple of weeks, too. I find it so hard to live out what I truly believe in my heart. I am definitely a work in progress.

I had never really thought about the idea of contentment in the context of trying circumstances. But I can see what you’re talking about. For contentment brings rest, and rest is what is given to our hearts when we truly trust the Lord.

Oh, that I might learn and lean. I believe, help my unbelief.

Sharon recently posted..POSTCARDS FROM THE BIBLE

6. God writes my story. I love this, Barbie!

This reality gives me peace this morning. I thank you for that gift …

Gentle, sweet, weekend blessings
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..Wildflowers * autumn nesting delights

7. Heather says:

Leaning in… the only way to go forward I’ve found. The Lord’s joy is our strength. Keep leaning, friend. ❤️
    Heather recently posted..The Trapped Mind Series {SDG Connections}

8. Beth says:

Contentment and joy no matter the circumstances . . . oh how I pray for this too. You always speak to my own heart with your words. Much love to you. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Finding Your Worth in a Wearied World {of Words}

9. Jaon says:

My thoughts exactly! Over the past year I have been learning to trust God more and more for the things that are happening in my life. I may not be able to see or understand all that He does, but I know that everything has a reason in God’s perfect plan. As I have been learning to trust, my faith is growing, too…and that is reason to rejoice!

Blessings, Joan
    Jaon recently posted..Courage to Trust

10. Oh that place of “Epainos”, or praise..that place where we don’t just do acts of worship, but live a lifestyle of praise. In studying this word this morning, I was struck by how praise is a noun here, not a verb. It’s something we are, not just something we do. And oh how I need to learn this too Barbie…to find that place where eyes are constantly in praise, fixed on our Savior, not on my circumstances. Always love coming here friend! Blessings for an amazing weekend, Jen

11. Hi Barbie,
    I am so excited to find you — or you found me? I don’t know. But I absolutely love finding fellow writers who are in the same season of life as me. Your blog is beautiful, your words are encouraging & I can’t wait to browse and read all that you have here!

• Barbie says:

Looking forward to getting to know you more Deborah. I too am thankful when I meet bloggers who are walking the same life journey.

12. shannon says:

Such important words! Thanks for sharing…and thanks for hosting the link up! Your blog is gorgeous!

13. So blessed by your faithfulness my friend. Good words today!
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..The Soul Strength of Delighting in God

14. Carrie says:

Oh, friend, you’ve been on my mind so much. You amaze me – as you struggle, you encourage mightily! Do you know how much I love to read your words? Many blessings, big , small and everything in between!
    Carrie recently posted..A Blessed Reminder

• Barbie says:

Carrie, thank you. You encourage my heart every time you visit. Life has been spinning, but I know God is in control. Looking forward with hope to the next season. Hugs!

15. Anita says:

Hi Barbie,

Thank you for your post. Leaning in is such a place of beauty, grace, and growth, isn’t it. Blessings to you.
    Anita recently posted..Turn your eyes upon Jesus

16. Mary Geisen says:

Oh my! Your words are so needed and pierce the places that I sometimes also struggle with. I love that we need to quiet our moanings and groanings in order to hear God more clearly. We certainly don’t want to miss a single whispered word meant just for us. Praying that as God writes your story He reveals the many blessings that are in store for you and your family! Love you friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Five Minute Friday-New

17. June says:

It’s hard to lean on Him sometimes, isn’t it, Barbie? We think we know best. This world tells us to “put on on big girl pants” and “pull up our bootstraps!” So many view Christianity as a crutch. All of this can rub off on us, fuel our pride. But we know the Truth. We don’t have to carry these burdens. Or worry for tomorrow.He willingly carries them for us, preparing the way, and establishing our tomorrows.There is indeed a blessing just beyond! Praying for you, my friend, and believing that you will find your strength in Him.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . Day 4: Harmony, Part 2

18. Ashley says:

YES YES YES! Huge amen sweet sister! Loving your series!

19. Kathryn Ross says:

Blessings, Barb – and thanks for the good word this week. Contentment – yes, in all situations. It’s where my life is at this time, too – in a big way. God is on His throne – all is right with me.

20. Dawn says:

Yes, God is always good. And that wind that blows change always always brings hope on the wings of it. Praying you will see the beauty in the trusting and find that you already have the strength and the ability, through Christ, to meet every challenge with joy.
    Dawn recently posted..Changed by His Pursuit

21. Laura says:

This is beautiful writing. I love how you ask, “What if God is shifting the wind for His glory?” That’s one that I am going to remember and carry with me when I find myself wondering “why?” I am learning how to trust in Him right along with you, Barbie! So glad to be in community with you here in the internet world!

22. Elizabeth says:

The statement you emphasized is so true. I am believing for you to see the evidence of God’s great hand in your current circumstance. I’m asking that you will be “wowed” by what God does.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psalm 29:11…

23. Anita Ojeda says:

Ah, I needed this reminder! I have a hard time being content outside of my comfort zone (e.g., spending part of my Christmas vacation with relatives in a crowded house that’s not my own). I have months to mentally and spiritually prepare and to claim that promise that I can do all things though HIM!
    Anita Ojeda recently posted..Promise

24. May we trust Him and rejoice in His grace!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..The Bible and Alcohol: What Would Jesus Drink?