13 In Featured Guests

Featured Writer: Cathy Peek // More of Jesus!

FW Cathy Peek

I was sitting in a doctor’s office one Christmas when a young mom, who I had never laid eyes on, sat across from me. With hot tears rolling down her face, she blurted out to everyone in the room, “I hate Christmas! I hate what it does to me! I am so stressed out!” No one said a word. They just let her vent, but I understood more than she knew.

Christmas is by far one of the busiest seasons of the entire year. Our lives become crazy from being overcrowded with an excessive amount of everything happening all in one month!

In the hype of Christmas activity, I can feel the drain on my energy, unraveling of my nerves, and my soul becoming weary with too much … too much of everything. At times my body longed for rest, but instead I continued to drive it.

Then it happens… Stress kicks in, and even though I fight the feeling, it begins to rob me of really being present in the moment.

Every year I would think… “next year is going to be different”… but how could it be different if I didn’t change things. I realized the activity was stressing me, but it was more than that. My soul was running on empty with long days and extra activities.

I was so busy my soul was longing for more of Jesus!

More of Jesus

My busy holiday lifestyle had me running around doing so much that I had almost completely crowded out his presence.

Have your ever felt like this?

I didn’t want it to be like this anymore!

Over two thousand years ago Jesus entered the darkness of this world clothed in humanity for one purpose—the Son of God was born to die for the sins of the world.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

Jesus wants to daily fill us with his love so we can pour that love out on a lost world! For this to happen, we have to be fully present, not stressed out.

As Christians it is easy to get caught up in the craziness and leave little or no time to focus on JESUS, the real reason we are celebrating in the first place.

My holidays are by no means perfect, but they are not near as stressful after I started limiting the amount of activities, being more realistic in what I could accomplish, and keeping Jesus in the center of celebrating. I want to share a few things that have helped our family.

3 Simple Ways to Trim Holiday Stress:

1. Spend Time With Jesus Each Day: Feed your soul every day, and soak in the presence of Jesus. Give your cares, fears, and anxieties to the one who can do something about them. Each day allow the “Son of God”, your Redeemer, to be the “lifter of your soul”.
  1. Focus On The Good Things In your Life: When you begin to feel stress closing in say, “God, I release this to you!” Start naming out loud your blessings or start singing. Focus on the things in your life…that can’t be bought.
  1. Be Intentional In Celebrating Jesus: As a follower of Christ, be intentional in celebrating from the deepest part of your soul! Keep your heart and spirit focused on God, becoming flesh in the form of a baby, to grow up and redeem the world! Because of this great act of love, the entire destinies of our lives have been changed.

Stress will always be in our lives, but keeping Jesus the center of all we do and depending on him for our every need will bring a joy and peace that the world will never understand.

Lord, we give you the stress in our lives. Help us to stay calm even in the hecticness of the season. Cover us with your peace and fill us with your joy. Help us shine with your love!

cathypeak_circleCathy is a pastor’s wife, speaker, writer, and children’s advocate, with a passion to encourage women to live bold for God. She works full time in missions and Blogs at Life Bubbling Over about God at work in the midst of living out life. She is happily married to her childhood friend. They lost their only child in a car accident. They have a Chihuahua named “Sugar Baby” who at times is the drama queen of the house. She knows life is a precious gift to Live it! Love it! Laugh at ourselves! She encourages women to be be gentle with others and breathe in every moment of life and claim joy…no matter what!  Visit Cathy at her blog, on Facebook or see what’s she’s pinning on Pinterest.

Denise
    December 17, 2014 at 1:30 am

I remember a time when this is exactly how my Christmas season went, and exactly how I felt; yearning for more of Jesus and less of holiday stress. But Jesus is the reason for the season (!) and when we do keep Him in the center of all the holiday fuss, everything becomes a blessing and a sweet joy! What a blessing to finally be at a point in my life when I can feel and share His amazing grace during this celebration of our Lord.

Blessings, joy, and love this Christmas!
    Denise

Cathy
      December 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I feel the same way Denise. I just wish I could have embraced this soon in my life. Many blessing! Cahty
      Cathy recently posted..More Of Jesus!

Joanne Viola
    December 17, 2014 at 3:00 am

What a wonderful & wise post for us all but especially those with children. I went back to reread the post a second time & then thought …. what wonderful advice for us all year long! This year may we all spend time with Jesus each day, focus on the blessings in our life & be intentional in our relationship with Him. Grateful to have stopped here this morning! Blessings to both of you, Cathy & Barbie!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..In the Midst …

Cathy
      December 18, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Joanne, that is so true…no matter what…Jesus should always be the center focus of our life! Thanks for stopping by. So glad you stopped by too!
      Cathy recently posted..More Of Jesus!

Ginger Harrington
    December 17, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Such simple ways to stay focused on Christ and not give into the temptation to try to do it all at Christmas. Loved this post:)
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..Good News that Lights Up Your Dark Night

Brandi
    December 18, 2014 at 8:25 am

What a perfectly timed post! I have been “burning the candle at both ends” for weeks now and am physically exhausted. I do, I need Jesus!
    Thank you for this post Cathy and thank you Barbie for hosting it!! I could simply hug you both!

Cathy
      December 18, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Sending you back a big hug from both of us! We are so glad God allowed this post to come along just when you needed it most. Praying for a “more of Jesus” to restore your busy life.
      Cathy recently posted..More Of Jesus!

Ellen Chauvin
    December 18, 2014 at 8:52 am

Wonderful! I loved this: “next year is going to be different”… but how could it be different if I didn’t change things…I’m making some notes for next year, to help my stress level. One thing will be to cook ahead and freeze some yummy meals, so that on those nights where I have to bake and wrap, we will have a good meal, and not pizza!
    Ellen Chauvin recently posted..Nostalgia – A Story of Christmas Longing

Cathy
      December 18, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Ellen, what a blessing to hear your heart! So glad this message can impact your next Christmas season. Thank you for stopping by.
      Cathy recently posted..More Of Jesus!

Marie
    December 18, 2014 at 11:13 am

Thanks for this! We all need to take time during the busy holiday season and focus more on Jesus. In doing so we do ease much of the frustrations that come with having so much to do.

@spreadingJOY
    Marie
    #BloggerCareGroup
    Marie recently posted..10 Things to Remember This Year

Cathy
      December 18, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Marie, thanks stopping in. Many blessings on your Jesus filled christmas!
      Cathy recently posted..More Of Jesus!

Cathy Z. Peek
      December 18, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Barbie, thank you so much for this opportunity. As I reflect on this year, I am so thankful God allowed me to meet you right away on my blogging journey. You have the gift of encouragement and write with a sincere honesty that is heart stirring. You are a beautiful person and God is using you in ways you can’t even imagine!
      Cathy Z. Peek recently posted..More Of Jesus!