Learning To Be Content // One Word 2015

As 2014 comes to a close, I’ve been reflecting on all that 2014 held for me. As hard as it is to admit, I haven’t been living life to the fullest. When I look back over my year, and on many of the things I’ve written over the last several months, my year has been marked by uncertainty, heartache, loss, depression and just a feeling of mundaneness and blah.

I’ve allowed my life to be led by my circumstances, as opposed to allowing God to use my circumstances to change me for the better.  With each blow or disappointment, I crawled further into a hole of despair. I think I tried to ignore my feelings, pushing them down deep into my heart, fearing that if I truly admitted how I felt about my life I would be judged for not living from a place of complete dependance on God.

[Tweet “God’s promise to me is a life overflowing with abundance. “]

I do not want to walk into the new year looking at my lack. I don’t want to look at unfulfilled dreams, disappointments, fears, failures and all of those things that keep me up at night. I want to step into the new year full of hope that my life can change and that this year can and will be lived to the fullest.

I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
(John 10:10 ESV)

I wasn’t sure I would have a “One Word” focus this year. As December came, I began asking and praying, and then I waited. I was pretty certain that again there would be no word focus this year, so I began to jot down a few goals in order to keep myself focused on a few things. I asked some friends to pray for me, that if God had a word for me for the coming year, that He would reveal it to my heart.  That very same hour, after I requested prayer for the last time, I heard this phrase drop into my heart,

“Be content”

This is not a word that I would have picked for myself. It’s a word that, although I see and read the scripture and shake my head and think to myself how I’ve arrived at this place of being content, I know otherwise. You see, I’ve allowed myself to become very discontent with my life. I spend too much time focusing on my lack, what’s not happening, who’s not meeting my needs, how much money I don’t have, the beautiful home I wish I had, etc. and so on.  Can you relate?

to be satisfied with a certain level of achievement, good fortune, etc., and not wishing for more.

This coming year, as I allow God to teach me about living a content-filled life, I will be focusing on the “not wishing for more” part. I am tired of looking at my lack and desiring other things, or that things would be different.

[Tweet “God has given me this one life, and it’s up to me to live it to the full. “]

How about you my friend? Have you picked a One Word for 2015?  Would you share it with me in the comments, or share a goal that you have for the coming year.

Barbie S. One Word Button 2015 Large

*I received my FREE One Word image from Traci Michele.  If you have a One Word and need a beautiful image, contact Traci today.

Happy New Year!

1. I have been praying for you. I know God has a plan for you. This post touched me and I have not been content and we have so many blessings. I have been thinking of a word to shape my year and I think it is conform. I want to conform and be transformed to being more Christ like this year. If you ever want to talk I have a good listening ear. You are one of my blessings. Diana

• Barbie says:

Diana, I am so thankful God led us to one another during the 31 Days in October challenge. You’ve become such a great friend and I so appreciate you!

2. Mary Geisen says:

Lots of yeses and Amens for this post! God does promise us abundance and asks us to live fully for Him. Not an easy task but one that by faith and understanding can be achieved. God is so good and I look forward to how He uses you this year and how you find contentment in Him. Blessings for a new year of hope and a chance to walk closely with Him in all we do. Love you!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Time to Shine 2015

• Barbie says:

Thank you Mary. I am hoping to dive in head first to His Word and gain the faith and understanding I so desire. Love you!

3. I’m sorry for the rough year; I can empathize, because mine wasn’t exactly a day at the beach, either. I lost a lot of ground in illness. But not as much as the docs said, because I’m already supposed to be looking at grass from the wrong side.

My word showed up in October, and it’s Hirihokenten, a Japanese transliteration of the words of a Chinese philosopher which means”it is important to consider debt, but unimportant to consider death”.

In other words, duty comes first, and duty defines us.

It was adopted as the motto of Masashige Kusunoki, who took his own life after defeat at the Battle of the Monato River (Minatogawa) in 1366. He’s revered in Japan for fealty and honour.

While I don’t buy into the “kill yourself if you lose” mindset, I can still admire a man who lived, and died as a paragon of loyalty within the confines of his culture.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Let Battle Begin – Tuesdays at Ten

4. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh I love it, my friend! I love it because I know it seems hard, but I also know that He has great plans for you! My OneWord is Wonder for 2015… praying for all the fun ways that it can show up! Love you! xoxo
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..The Blog Review – 2014 edition

• Barbie says:

I LOVE your word Karrilee. I was jealous when I saw it (and your beautiful graphic) because who wouldn’t want a word like wonder? Love you friend!

5. Cathy says:

I didn’t do very week with the one word activity last year. This year I am reading the book My One Word and am praying to discern what the right word is. I am loving the book and the author’s suggestions and hope this year I will carry through better.

6. Love your word! And John 10:10 is one of my favorite verses. We so often live in the circumstances of life instead of in the promises of Jesus. Here’s to a new year of living abundantly!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..To live with Him {SSMT}

7. Debbie says:

I think this is a perfect word for you right now Barbie! I had to learn that lesson the hard way but I can tell you it’s a wonderful characteristic to have. And you can only obtain it as our Lord transforms your heart. I think of Paul as he learned to be content in any situation. How thankful I am not to have to go through beatings and such as he did. But knowing Christ is something so above anything else this world has to offer. I pray for you my friend. God is in control and He loves you.

My one word for 2015 is LOVE. I will check out the website you mentioned as I created my own image.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie recently posted..My One Word

• Barbie says:

I know you’ve come a little farther on the journey of contentment and I gain strength from your testimony. Looking forward to how “love” unfolds for you this year!

8. Linda Fode says:

I laughed when I saw your post title &”word for 2015. My word & scripture are identical. I’m writing a post on the word Content this morning. You’ve said it so well. Can I just copy yours??? I will be sure to put a link to yours in my post.

After following your blog for several months I am convinced that we are sisters from another mother.

May you rest in our Father’s Love today.

Linda Fode recently posted..The Peace Giver

• Barbie says:

Linda, that’s awesome. I am sure we will be able to encourage one another in our journey to contentment this year. I am looking forward to reading your post!

9. Can’t wait to see how you grow and change through this word. It will not be easy, but I know it will be worth it!!!
    Deanna Wiseburn recently posted..When The New Year is Not Bright and Shiny

• Barbie says:

Thanks Deanna. I know I will have to gain some faith muscle in order to conquer contentment, but you are right. It will be worth it.

10. My heart churned inside me as I read this. Contentment has always been such a struggle for me too, and I can so relate to the calling you are feeling from God now to pursue contentment! I’ve been feeling completely down and uninspired today trying to figure out what God is calling me to to this year. I definitely think contentment is one of those things and look forward to more posts from you on this topic! Praying for you friend!

• Barbie says:

Heather, I’ve been thinking about you. Don’t strive too hard for your word. If you are meant to have that one word focus, He will bring it. Praying for you friend.

11. Rosann says:

Love, love, love it! Discovering contentment is hard for a lot of people, myself included. You have been through so much and I just love that God put this word on your heart. I’m excited to see the beautiful journey He takes you on in 2015. God is so good and I know He adores and loves you beyond measure. Only His goodness awaits! Praying peace and strength over you as you step out on this new journey of learning to be content.
    Rosann recently posted..24 Bible Verses to Memorize and Study in 2015 — with FREE Printables, too!!

12. June says:

God is stretching and growing you, friend. It’s painful at times, but He disciplines those whom He loves! So thankful for what He is doing in your life. There is comfort in contentment. Your word for 2015 is also my prayer for you. Blessings.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . 2014 recap

13. I’m sure God is going to teach you so much this year! Mine kept changing to the point where I didn’t know what it was! So I decided to journal and as I did He spoke. Disciple. I know it was God because I was surprised, shocked, disappointed and excited. Its not something I have a desire to do, but I think the word deserves some further exploration. It’s not just about my doing it, but my being discipled by others and by Jesus himself and becoming a disciple.
    Mary Dolan Flaherty recently posted..What I Learned in 2014-Being the Best Me

14. Barbie, content is such a great word for 2015! It is an effort and a choice that we make on a daily basis and something that requires a great deal of self-control. It won’t be easy, but know that often that is when we see the most growth: in the hard things, not the easy. I will be praying for you, and for all of us, to find true contentment in all circumstances this year knowing that no matter what we can see, we know that our God is working in the things we cannot. Blessings to you and yours for a content New Year!

My word is wisdom. I want to rely on His rather than seeking my own.
    Heather @ My Overflowing Cup recently posted..Happy New Year!

15. Shelby says:

Hi Barbie, I stop by your Blog often in the morning while having my coffee. This morning you had me in tears, reading what could have been words coming out of my own mouth. I spent the day yesterday moping around, not caring about the new year, feeling the discontentment of my life and feeling sorry for myself. Thank you for posting this. I needed it so much this morning! It has inspired me to pick up my Bible and have it with me in the morning with my coffee as I know you will inspire me again…Bless you this year!

• Barbie says:

I am so thankful for God’s timing for you to read this post. So thankful to hear how it encouraged your heart Shelby. Thank you so much for stopping by.

16. Trisha says:

LOVE your post. It is so hard to be content, and what a great encouragement for each of us to be content in what God has done for us and given us! Thanks so much for sharing, and I am praying for you today!

My word for the year 2015 is RUN. You can read my post here: http://www.mtgoddard.com/run

17. Angie says:

2014 was a hard year for me and although I don’t have one word for 2015, I was impressed by Psalm 34:8, “Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!” That’s what I need for 2015, to focus on the Lord and to take pleasure in Him.

18. Beth says:

Barbie, this right here is so true, isn’t it? “Isn’t it just like God to stretch us beyond what we think we are capable of while bringing us to a place of greater depth and joy in Him?” And, thank you God!!! It’s what I see Him doing in you. I know it’s been a difficult year for you but I see how He’s using it to bring you closer and closer to Him. He is the source of our JOY. May 2015 be a year where we all seek Him and truth Him more fully. His plans for us are always good. Love your word, friend, and love being a part of all He is doing in you and through you. You are such a blessing to me. Love you much. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..God with us

• Barbie says:

Thank you Beth. I’ve been clinging to these promises all year. Again, I am so grateful to have you along on this journey. Love you!

19. Traci says:

Great word and post!! I love how God picks the word for us!

• Barbie says:

Thanks Traci. I was almost certain I wouldn’t receive a word this year. But I am so thankful I did! Thanks for the lovely graphic!

20. Betsy says:

Thank you so much for sharing so openly about your struggles, Barbie. Your transparency helps others know they’re not alone. I pray that God will work that word “content” deep into your heart.

My word is REST. Taking time to rest and be refilled by God, and having an attitude of rest/trust while I work!
    Betsy recently posted..Fresh Starts and New Mercies: Doing Less Instead of More

21. Noreen says:

Blessings to you Barbie, I love this post and your honesty. I also loved reading all the comments left. For me, I have had some health issues over the last several months and the word Hope gives me the right focus-that if my Lord is there with me, then I can hope in His plan. So good to get caught up.
    Sending you love and hugs today.
    Noreen recently posted..The Beginnings

22. Lisa @ SLP says:

Content, ummm yah, I’m working on that too. I thought I had it in Germany, and then God moved us here and I quickly figured I like to be content most when I am happy with circumstances. What was that Paul said about being content in all circumstance? LOL, working on it. It’s a great word Barbie, I’m excited to see how God uses it in your life this year.

23. Missy says:

Barbie, I think one of those things I most appreciate about you is the way you walk forward, unflinchingly, no matter what trials you leave behind. You do! Do you realize that? And it is a mighty encouragement to me, as I walk through my own trials. I did not intend to choose a word, but it has been made abundantly clear that I am to hunker down and focus. Cut the extraneous wanderings and focus. I am praying that you will be given contentment beyond what you can hope or imagine, in this new year. Oh friend, I pray it be so for you.
    Missy recently posted..Oh Write Thirty

24. Jenny says:

It’s funny, at first glance my word would almost seem at odds with yours. But in reality, I think they can very easily mean the same thing. My word is MORE…as in He must increase, I must decrease…MORE of Him less of me. I think the very nature of More of Him and less of me leads to a contentment.
    Jenny recently posted..My One Word: More

25. Denise says:

Happy New Year my sweet friend! (It took me a while, and I also prayed a lot too about a word that would define where I want to go, and what I need to be as well as encourage me this year.) 🙂

I chose the Word Content in 2013 and throughout the year, I was reminded over and over again that contentment and joy can only be found when I allowed the power of God to control my life instead of trying to change my circumstances or control my own life. (Now to be reminded over and over again of my New Year Word!! LOL!)

Wishing you the very best as you find contentment and joy in every little thing!!
    Denise recently posted..One Powerful Word