28 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: “I Will Bless You!”

I_will_bless_you

I’m reading through The Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp for Advent. It’s touching my heart in deep places and I’ve been in tears with every reading so far.  Today’s was no exception.

“I will bless you,” says the God who comes to where you are.  Who comes in the heaviness of the day, to the space where the weight hangs on the edges of you, so you just keep holding your breath, so you just keep forgetting to breathe.” – Ann Voskamp, The Greatest Gift

These words pierced my soul and drew me to my knees, crying out to Him, the One who bears my circumstances and carries the weight of my cares and worries.

[Tweet “He comes to where I am.”]

God does not wait for my life to be perfect in my own eyes.  He comes to where I am.  He is right here in the middle of the mess. He sees my lack. He knows the state of my checking account. He understands my needs, and hears the desires of my heart. He bends down with me in the wet puddle of tears, gets low in the trenches of my life and says, “Here I am”.

He promises to bless me.

I’ve had to repent today. I haven’t seen my circumstances as a blessing. Most of you know I am walking through a season of unemployment, on top of an already financially strained marriage. It’s been hard. I teeter somewhere between hope and hopelessness. And I cry out for God to bless me — with a new job, with financial provision, with a healed marriage.

I hold my breath. I forget to breathe. I am overcome with the heaviness of the day. But today I was reminded that as deep and dark as my circumstances may seem, He is right here with me. He will not let me go.

A friend reminded me today that God does indeed have good things in store for me and my family. I’ve struggled to hold on to hope. Some days I believe that this life I am now living is the crescendo of my days, and that I will live the rest of my life struggling to breathe.

But then He reminds me,

“I will bless you!”

I’m asking Him to take me low and deep into the secret place. I am seeking Him out, asking for Him to encounter my heart in a way that I’ve never been encountered before. I’m asking Him to remove fear and doubt and thrust me into a place of deep and abiding hope.

He is the one who bares my circumstances and carries the weight of my cares and worries. I know that I can trust Him with the outcome.

*photo credit

Now it’s your turn to share an encouraging post at The Weekend Brew.

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Elizabeth
    December 5, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Oh friend, I think so much of our victory is found in simply putting one foot in front of the other and keeping on walking. The enemy wants us to lie down in our circumstances and quit, but if we just keep walking we eventually walk through the valley and on out to the other side. And God is walking right there with us, holding onto us.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psalm 65:11…

December 6, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Elizabeth. I keep thinking about Much-Afraid and how much she entered before she was renamed Grace & Glory. I know He’s with me. Have a blessed week!

nannette and the sweetheart
    December 5, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Oh, Barbie, I have been walking in your footsteps for the last three years…I literally feel the pain in your words as they are mine as well. I loved this post, your “He sees my lack” really struck me. I haven’t always been joyful either!! He sees when I am lacking and yet He loves me still. And yes, He does have a plan for our lives even in our season of lacking. I am praying that prayer for both of us today that we will seek Him out in that secret place and be reminded of our everlasting Hope. ♥
    nannette and the sweetheart recently posted..The Unbroken Song – I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

December 6, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement Nannette!

mary
    December 6, 2014 at 5:14 am

“He comes to where I am.” Barbie, those 6 words speak volumes to me this morning…thank you! Praying for you as you walk through this season.
    mary recently posted..The battle isn’t mine in the first place…

December 6, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I have Ann to thank for those words. And I am thankful that He comes, just where we are. Have a blessed week Mary!

denise
    December 6, 2014 at 5:26 am

Beautiful words of faith here Barbie! Yes; in the midst of our desperation, we must pause to confess our trust and joy in God. We must sing to celebrate God’s goodness! ♥ You are forever on my heart and in my thoughts and prayers dear friend!
    BTW~Loving the ‘Greatest Gift’! ♥
    denise recently posted..Home Brew

December 6, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Appreciate your prayers Denise. The Greatest Gift is really settling deep in my heart. So much goodness there.

Michelle Anderson
    December 6, 2014 at 7:59 am

Oh Barbie! He is with you! He is for you! He will bring back your joy and laughter! Hold on to Him. Hold on to hope! He loves you! He knows just what you need! Believe! <3
    Michelle Anderson recently posted..Advent_December 6

December 6, 2014 at 11:20 pm

! I am grateful for you Michelle!

June
    December 6, 2014 at 8:33 am

Sweet, Barbie. Thank you for sharing words of encouragement with us today, even as God is blessing and encouraging you. I’m thankful for your presence in my life. I was comforted by Psalm 121 in my Advent reading today. I’m praying this Psalm over your life this week. Believe His promises. Wait on for the fulfillment of His word in your life. It will come. Blessings.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . the Hope of His Coming Vol. 3

December 6, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Thank you so much June!

Mary Dolan Flaherty
    December 6, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Barbie, I know financial strain oh so well. It’s so hard to walk through, especially in a society that throws such much at us in the way of buy this and get that. I will continue to pray for the right people to come into your life to get to the right job for you! And that God will strengthen your marriage through all of this. Blessings in the secret place…
    Mary Dolan Flaherty recently posted..Teach Me Wisdom in That Secret Place

December 6, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Thank you Mary!

Kimberly David
    December 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm

He comes to where I am… what a profound thought, and what a blessing for today. It was so good I just had to share it <3

Praying for you
    Kimberly David recently posted..A Dose of Christmas Cheer

December 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Thank you. I was so profound to me when I read it in Anne’s book, that I just had to share as well. Blessings!

Mary Geisen
    December 6, 2014 at 5:08 pm

This is beautiful! I can feel your heart in every word that is crying out to Jesus. God does meet you right where you are and stoops down in your brokenness and gently lifts you up. I am praying with you as you seek hope and abiding peace this Christmas and everyday. Love you!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Sunday Morning Always Comes-Silent Night

December 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I hope I get to meet you one day. I owe you like a thousand hugs!

Cathy
    December 6, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Amen & Amen! As God continues to breathe hope and send reminders that he is with you, embrace his truth like never before. Your words were and encouragement to my heart as I struggle with a painful situation in my family. I love you and I’m praying for you.
    Cathy recently posted..Reaching Out To Those Who Are Hurting!

December 7, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Thank you so much Cathy. I am so sorry you are struggling right now. Lifting you up to the Father. He has all of the answers. I hope you are feeling better these days. Hugs!

Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine
    December 7, 2014 at 7:45 am

Barbie….”God does not wait for my life to be perfect in my own eyes. He comes to where I am.” Love this! I am so glad He is sovereign over our circumstances even if we don’t see the benefits. Thank you for the lesson and party. May you have a blessed week.
    Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine recently posted..There Could Be No Deviation From the Plan

December 7, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for coming over Naomi!

Beth
    December 7, 2014 at 11:41 am

I so loved Day 5 of Ann’s devotional. They have been on my heart all weekend. And you, friend, continue to be in my prayers.Much love. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Scattering of Love :: Batch 4

December 7, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Thank you Beth. Your constant presence in my life is a breath of fresh air.

Laurie Collett
    December 7, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Praise God for His many abundant blessings! Thanks for the beautiful post and for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Why Do Men “Translate” God’s Word?

December 7, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for stopping over Laurie!

Jacqui
    December 7, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Hey Barbie, I just wanted to let you know I’m praying for you, friend. You are such an encouragement and I know God has great plans for you! Keep clinging to hope…as you said. I know you’re in a hard place, and I don’t know what the Lord is doing, but I’m confident He’s working something great. I see it in the heart of your writing. Love you much, friend.

Ann
    December 8, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Oh, my goodness!! Barbie, I promise you that I did not come over here and read your post until just now, and after I posted mine a few hours ago. But, they read almost identical!!!!!! It literally blew my mind! God speaks over and over again through Ann Voskamp’s books and writings. Her words, given by God, echo the pain and hold the inspiration that is fresh air for so many hearts. I have been where you are. I am where you are. Even though our life circumstances may be different, yet the pain and hurt we feel are the same….and God is right beside us, walking with us, giving us hope. What an amazing God we have!!
    Ann recently posted..Words That Pierce and Comfort