In The Beginning…God // The Weekend Brew

Jan1-2_DWBiblePlan_600

A new year. A fresh start. A sense of relief knowing that the hard parts of the last year are behind me, and that God is getting ready to do a new thing.

I’m excited about all that this year holds for me and my family. I know God stands ready to bless me abundantly, yet I know that I also must do my part by seeking Him out through His Word and in prayer, asking for a greater revelation of His heart concerning all things. My desire is that God would open my eyes and ears to the wonders of the mysteries of heaven, and that I would apply what I learn through the scriptures to my own life in a greater way.

For me, it started this morning in the Book of Genesis.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

I’ve read this passage of scripture many, many times, and while I would normally camp out on God as Creator — He who made everything, today my heart could not get past God — the One who existed before the beginning of time. He who was and is and forever will be created all things by speaking them into existence. All things exist on account of the One who was present in the beginning.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

It all goes back to God.

As I begin a New Year filled with new hopes, dreams and possibilities, I remember that God has gone before me, from the beginning, and prepared the way for me this year. He knows the challenges that I will face, He understands the yearnings of my heart and He will remain faithful. Everything that my heart desires — every hope, dream, restored relationship — it all comes from Him. Without Him, there can be no blessing.

I am starting out this new year with a fresh perspective and an excitement to begin reading His Word in a more structured way. Structure helps me to stay focused. I have empty pages with which to fill with fresh revelation and insight. As I purpose in my heart to seek Him, He promises to provide the nourishment that my heart, soul and spirit needs to make it through each day.

He who was from the beginning, He sees all things and knows all things. I trust that He holds me in the palm of His hands. He will direct my life as I seek Him through His Word and in prayer.

So today, I’m starting at the very beginning. I’m starting with God.

[Tweet “God is the answer to all of life’s challenges, the holder of all of life’s possibilities. “]

What better way to begin anew than to begin with God. He promises to bless with fresh revelation those who purpose in their hearts to seek Him out.

Will you join me as we read His Word together?

*For my daily reading, I’ve chosen to use the Deeper Water’s Reading Plan. There are multiple types of reading plans. You don’t have to pick mine.  Just pick something that is doable for you and will help you to get into the Word each day. I will also be reading from my Jesus Calling devotional which I’ve never actually read.

Happy New Year!

BarbieSignature

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

*photo credit

1. If we seek Him first, and His righteousness, all else will follow. May we put Him first in all things. Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting! Happy New Year!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Mary’s Journey – Challenges of Early Motherhood

2. Mary Geisen says:

I love how our hearts are connected through these words. Reading Genesis 1 today and then reading your post with the reminder that God has always been there for us is so comforting and a reassurance for all as we begin this new year. What a blessing that you allow God to speak through His words and then your words. Hugs and love, friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Time to Shine 2015

3. Elizabeth says:

I am happy to sense renewed hope and vision in your words!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Hebrews 10:36 and Endurance…

4. Barbie…how right you are that a new year will new opportunities to glorify the Lord. I am reading through the Bible this year with a group of ladies and am so excited about what God will teach me. Thank you for the link up. Praying you have a Jesus-filled weekend.
    Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine recently posted..Living JOY in the New Year

5. Betsy says:

Your words really touch me today, Barbie. In the beginning, God! You’ve put into words the hopes so many of us have for this new year. I want to do less, strive less, so I can experience more of God. I LOVE that Deeper Water’s Reading Plan. I’m reading through the New Testament with my kids, but thinking maybe I can handle two reading plans. We’ll have to see. Blessings and grace on your weekend. You’ve served me a fresh cup of grace this morning. (I’m sharing this later, live in Turkey, so I’ll wait until later in the day when more people will see it.)
    Betsy recently posted..Fresh Starts and New Mercies: Doing Less Instead of More

• Barbie says:

Betsy, so thankful to be getting to know you. I am glad this post spoke to your heart. The Deeper Waters plan is really very doable. It’s not the whole Bible, but I felt it was a better choice for me this year. Looking forward to stopping by your blog later to read your post.

6. Hi Barbie! Thank you for such an inspiring post. Such a perfect way to begin our year… with God! Love this. I read Jesus Calling too, and love it. It speaks to me every single day, without fail. May God bless you in many sweet and unexpected ways in this new year. I am lifting you in prayer today, friend. Much love!
    Julie Lefebure recently posted..Eight Words Of Impact

7. Dawn says:

Two of my very favorite scriptures that should bring us back to this attitude of worship and reverence. I have had a host of scriptures floating through my heart and my head all directing me to fully lay it all at His feet, let HIM be the leader and the One who orchestrates it all. Your words resonate with that theme. I am thankful I took time to stop and visit today.
    Blessings!
    Dawn
    Dawn recently posted..Grace in the Rested Journey

8. Loved this, Barbie! I am in Genesis right now, too. I’m using Tyndale’s One Year Bible, which is actually free online, and they have a mobile format as well.

Happy New Year!

9. Beth says:

I love this Barbie. I love your renewed sense of hope. What better place is there to begin than with God? Thank you for how you share your heart with us, friend. You bless me so much. Love you. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..God with us

10. Hi there. Such good real stuff to chew on. Always love the way you write it down and plant it in my mind…bears fruit, girl – bears fruit. You will be blessed with today’s post too “For I am Your God –
    Sovereign” Blessings to Barbie from Chris
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..For I Am Your God – Sovereign

11. Carol says:

Yes! A new year ahead–and beginning with God. He has given us His book; I want to stay in the word this year also.
    Carol recently posted..One Word for 2015

12. I love where you went with this post Barbie. It IS all about God. Oh how we fool ourselves into thinking so many other things.

May your New Year overflow with his presence, his goodness, and blessings beyond anything you can imagine.
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..My Non-Resolution Resolution for the New Year

• Barbie says:

Thank you for stopping by Diane. I see your beautiful posts all over and I’ve missed you. Can’t way to stop by!

13. I love the promise and hope of a new year, Barbie. I also love the reminder that He IS, always has been, and always will be: from the beginning and throughout eternity.

Here’s to a blessed and prosperous New Year for all of us. May God be ever glorified in all that we say and do for His glory.

Thank you for being here!
    Heather @ My Overflowing Cup recently posted..The Hardest Prayer To Pray

14. Larri says:

I take great comfort in knowing He is in my beginning and all beginnings, Barbie.
    Loved your post today. Thanks for sharing!

PS…I was captivated by ‘in the midst’ while doing my Bible reading today. Not only was He in the beginning, but He is in the center of all our moments, too. 🙂
    Larri recently posted..In the Midst

15. Lyn Cooke says:

“In the beginning God”…I have these four words highlighted in my Bible. Oh how I love starting the New Year with these words and then rehearsing them over and over. Thank you for this reminder. And for this space. Blessings and love to you, Barbie!

16. Happy New Year, Dear Barbie 🙂

I’ll read along with you…I’m also in another study so we’ll see but I really want to actually make it through the whole Bible this year…so grateful God is with us…((hugs))…joy and peace to you this year.
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Happy 2015 (and Top 5 Things I learned in 2014)

• Barbie says:

I love the hunger I am seeing/hearing hearing from this community of women who just want to be in the Word. The Deeper Waters study is not the entire Bible, but it’s a great start!

17. God has certainly gone before you, Barbie! And He will bless you abundantly this year. I can’t wait to see how that plays out. I’m doing Wendy Pope’s Read Through the Word this year using the one year chronological Bible. Four days in and I love it! Thanks for encouraging all of us to stay in God’s word. Happy week!! xoxo
    Holly Barrett recently posted..The path of life

18. Lea says:

So true, there is no better way to begin anew than with HIM, the Creator of all things. Inspiring post! Wishing you a fresh start and a beautiful 2015!
    Lea recently posted..Wrapping Up Christmas

19. ~ linda says:

What beautiful words to begin the year with, Barb. Can we really and truly start any other way and still be aligned with His will for our lives? Thank you for reminding me of the very first Truth in the Bible. I have been blessed.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

20. Maria says:

This is definitely one of my personal goals for 2015: be more structured in my bible reading. I love doing bible studies but also want to supplement that with reading more of the Word. Happy New Year, Barbie!

21. Chrissy says:

This is wonderful, Barbie! Wishing you all the best for 2015!

22. Barbie, I needed to read your words today. They encourage me so much. My heart is lifted. I get choked up every time read this” In the beginning was the Word . . ” It is just too much–too wonderful, too beautiful. I am so grateful! Bless you today as you soak Him up, friend!
    Jennifer Camp recently posted..How To Make Sure that Fresh Start You Crave Never Gets Old