49 In Faith

A Double Portion Inheritance // The Weekend Brew

doubleportion

Someone sent me this verse this week, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn’t realize how much shame and disgrace I was carrying over our situation until now. I’ve been mulling over and over again in my head, the “what if’s” in life, you know, those things that, given the opportunity, you’d like to go back and change, or so you think.

I don’t want to allow circumstances to rule my thoughts, but this second week of January has proven hard, especially in light of the fact that my focus this year is on contentment. He has so much to teach me on this journey of living towards eternity. My heart may fail me, but I know where my strength lies.

God continues to remind me that He is a good God, showing up in unexpected ways and bringing strength through the prayers of others. Today I am reminded of his promises towards me.

[Tweet “I will receive a double portion inheritance and have everlasting joy.”]

What promise from His Word are you being reminded of today?

Grab a cup of coffee, or tea, or a warm glass of milk and join us at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Betsy
    January 17, 2015 at 3:49 am

What a beautiful scripture this is. The promise the Lord is speaking to me is “The Lord is my Shepherd. I lack NOTHING….He guides me along the right paths.” God spoke to me that I have enough TIME to do everything He’s leading me to. I plan to write a post on this soon!
    Betsy recently posted..Waiting Passionately While We Pursue Our Dreams

January 17, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I love Psalm 23. And thank you for reminding me that with God there is no lack. I look forward to reading your post.

Joanne Viola
    January 17, 2015 at 4:29 am

Barbie, what a beautiful verse. I am not sure what part I like best – the double portion or the everlasting joy. As familiar as that verse is to me, here is what hit me as I looked at your graphic…”and so they will inherit a double portion in their land….”. In their land, where we find ourselves. In the middle of our land, our current situations, He brings the double portion & the everlasting joy. I cannot help but wonder if we miss the double portion & inheritance because we long to be somewhere other than “our land”. Thank you for sharing this today as it has given me something to think on. It will probably brew all weekend 🙂 May His love envelop you today!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..The Random Five

January 17, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Oh Joanne, you are so wise, and so right! I think I do miss the inheritance and the joy because I long to be somewhere else, with a different set of circumstances at times. Thanks for opening my eyes and my heart today.

Kathryn Shirey
    January 17, 2015 at 5:20 am

I love this verse! So encouraging that though this journey in faith may be difficult and troubled, there is great reward for making the trek. What great hope in the verse that God so loves us that he feels our pain and promises us a double portion of goodness and joy. Prayers for a week filled with joy and contentment 🙂
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..Be Still and Know That I Am God

January 17, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for stopping by Kathryn! You are a blessing.

Chris Malkemes
    January 17, 2015 at 5:23 am

It’s called the Rhema word and with it hits you there is joy because you are at the corner of Sovereign and Love. It is a good place – a place to lean in on the faithfulness of His faithfulness and trust in His trustworthiness. When we realize God is a God of His word we are blown away!
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..The Song that Hits the Heart – There Must Be Something In The Water

January 17, 2015 at 4:09 pm

So good Chris! I always appreciate and look forward to your insight.

Debbie @ Bible Fun For Kids
    January 17, 2015 at 6:02 am

Thanks so much for hosting!
    Debbie @ Bible Fun For Kids recently posted..The Creation For Kids: Day 6

January 17, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for stopping by Debbie!

Mary Dolan Flaherty
    January 17, 2015 at 6:30 am

Barbie,
    It’s good to have you back. I enjoy Mary’s posts, but I missed you! Hang in there friend.
    Mary Dolan Flaherty recently posted..Be Kind

January 17, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Awe Mary, thank you so much! I am so thankful for Mary. She is a God-send. Have a blessed weekend.

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    January 17, 2015 at 6:35 am

When I think of the “what-if” moments, I look back at the good that’s come from decisions that I might think were wrong.

Generally, the ‘wrong’ decisions were wrong in that they put me further away from my dreams and ambitions…but the good accrued to others.

Can’t quite see taking that away, even in the imagination.

What’s done is done, and it’s up to God to make it work out.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Send It – I Won’t Back Down {Five Minute Friday / Weekend Brew}

January 17, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Great points Andrew! Have a blessed weekend.

Tammy
    January 17, 2015 at 6:39 am

I just love the promises in God’s word, This is a beautiful scripture to hold onto. Thank you for sharing. Just an FYI, my post was added twice by mistake, sorry. The #15 one is linking. I don’t know what happened. I tried to remove the other one, #13 and it wouldn’t let me. Have a beautiful weekend. Thank you for allowing us to link and for your faithfulness to the Lord! Tammy
    Tammy recently posted..SEEK

January 17, 2015 at 4:12 pm

No worries Tammy. I can take care of that for you. I appreciate you stopping by and I look forward to reading your post.

Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life
    January 17, 2015 at 6:43 am

I love it when God drops a Scripture right down into my heart like this that gives me renewed hope. Love this verse, Barbie! Hugs

January 17, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lyli! Have a blessed weekend.

Nicki Schroeder
    January 17, 2015 at 6:50 am

I am speaking at a women’s event on trials and joy and the journey this Winter and your post is another confirmation for me that I’m on the right path in what He wants me to speak. Keep up the good fight dear Bonnie. And continue to stay in His word. Trust in His promises, even when you have to fight through darkness to see the glorious light. And by all means, KEEP WRITING! xoxo

January 17, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Thank you so much for encouraging my heart. I am thankful for how God is brining confirmation to you through His Word and this post. Hugs!

Pam@Writing...Apples of Gold
    January 17, 2015 at 7:46 am

Double blessings of Joy and Peace and His favor overflowing to and on and in you, Barbie!

I’m not sure where you are, but if in the U.S (only because of mail costs outside that area).,,I’d like to gift you with one of my new Valentine cards – a tiny gift I hope will lift your heart . If you will send me your postal address at pam.depoyan@gmail.com I’ll get it off to you… 🙂

January 17, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Thank you Pam! I just emailed you my address. I’m in California.

Fun With A Message (@FunWithAMessage)
    January 17, 2015 at 8:55 am

Hi Barbie,
    I’m sorry to hear your been going thru a hard time. The Lord is so faithful to encourage us thru His Word.
    A wonderful promise!
    Fun With A Message (@FunWithAMessage) recently posted..The Secret To Better Parenting in the New Year

January 17, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for stopping by. Have a blessed weekend.

Beth
    January 17, 2015 at 9:02 am

There is such comfort and peace found in His word. There were a few times this past week that either scripture I read on my own or shared by another that it just blessed and encouraged me in a profound (and very much needed) way. Holding you in my prayers, sweet friend. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Scattering of Love :: Batch 5 [Cultivate a Thriving Marriage]

January 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Love you girl. Thankful for your friendship.

Laura
    January 17, 2015 at 9:02 am

What a great verse! Thank you for sharing. Contentment…I struggle with it too, my friend. How brave you are for choosing it as your “2015 word.” Keep your eyes on His promises. Cheering you on, Barbie!
    Laura recently posted..I’m All In

January 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Oh Laura, if only I felt like I had a choice in the matter. I didn’t choose the word. I believe God chose it for me. Have a blessed weekend!

June
    January 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm

“I didn’t realize how much shame and disgrace I was carrying over our situation until now.” Sweet, Barbie, we are our own worst enemy, are we not? I’m struggling with guilt right now over long-term care decisions for my dad who recently had a stroke. No one is putting it on me, but myself. I know, logically,that the situation is out of my control. But I wish it otherwise, and guilt creeps in. I keep turning to His word to hear the truth. The truth about who I am in Christ and, more importantly Who He is and how much He loves and cares about every minuet detail of our lives. Keep turning to the Truth, Barbie and keep believing His promises. As you say, that is where we receive our strength. You’re in my prayers, my friend. Blessings.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . always near the cross: love

January 17, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Awe friend, life is hard sometimes and we often don’t know which way to turn. I am sure whatever decisions you made for your dad were right at the time and covered in God’s grace. Love you friend!

Mary Geisen
    January 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm

God’s promises come at just the right times and when this verse was sent to you this week it was God’s way of letting you know He is near. I love how we are given these little love notes from God just when we need them. Praying with you and for you as you journey ahead through the struggles and the joy!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Sunday Morning Always Comes ~ Tears

January 18, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Love you Mary! I hope I get the honor of hugging your neck one day!

Elizabeth
    January 17, 2015 at 9:43 pm

I don’t know why you’ve been through such a long season of trial. We went through a season like that, our “Job” time I call it. The good new is, it did come to an end eventually. God’s word talks about walking through valleys, walking through the fire, etc. The end will come if we just keep putting one foot in front of the other and don’t quit. Love you, Barbie!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psalm 122:1…

January 18, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Thanks Elizabeth. It’s encouraging to hear the testimony of those who are just a little farther along on their journey. Blessings!

Denise
    January 18, 2015 at 1:37 am

Such a beautiful verse, and a promise that we need to be reminded of often. It’s not always easy to remember this truth when we are feeling remorse or shame for feelings and circumstances of past and even present. How blessed we are to be able to “let go and let God” send us amazing grace and everlasting joy!! ♥ Thank you sweet friend for this scripture today; I always love your scripture on pictures!! ♥
    Have a joyful week as you remember His promise Barbie! ♥ Hugs!
    Denise recently posted..When Faith Meets Uncertainty ♥♥

January 18, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for stopping by Denise! Have a blessed and beautiful week.

Holly Barrett
    January 18, 2015 at 3:40 am

What a beautiful promise! Thank you for sharing it, Barbie, as I too am struggling with contentment right now. Looking for all the ways God is working in a place not of my choosing. I know you are there too! Prayers for you and yours, dear friend. xoxo
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Like stars in the sky

January 18, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Praying for you Holly. I know God has amazing plans for both of us in the midst of this journey.

Carrie Daws
    January 18, 2015 at 2:28 pm

With some many dear friends around me walking through turbulent times right now, I love the promise of everlasting joy! I truly look forward to that. Thank you for the reminder!
    Carrie Daws recently posted..Getting It All Done

January 18, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by Carrie!

Carrie
    January 18, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Keeping you close to my heart, friend!

January 18, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Thanks for your prayers Carrie!

Kym
    January 18, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Such a beautiful Scripture! I am so thankful that God exchanges our sorrow and shame for the joy of the Lord, and that he accepts us and loves us. God bless you this week. 🙂
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot – January 18 , 2015

January 18, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Have a beautiful week Kym!

Ellen Chauvin
    January 19, 2015 at 10:43 am

Praying for you, Barbie! Don’t let those “what ifs” take control!
    Ellen Chauvin recently posted..What a Friend!

January 20, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Thanks Ellen!

Dolly@Soulstops
    January 19, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Sweet Barbie,
    I’m glad your friend sent you that verse..praying a double portion of God’s grace and favor on you today and protection of your heart from shame…lately, I’ve been asking myself if I truly believe “Nothing is impossible with God” (Luke 1:37)…can God redeem? I ask God for grace to believe and to wait on His timing.

Hugs,
    Dolly
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Renew 2: What you need to remember when you have a setback

Heather
    January 21, 2015 at 2:36 pm

With everything that is going on in my life and hearing God leading me to concentrate on Him instead of the expected things, I have given up link ups and such. But I am still reading your words, my friend. Love seeing you joirney to freedom. Bless your soul. ❤️
    Heather recently posted..Handling Life and Its ALL: Call On Grace Himself

January 21, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Heather, thank you for reading. You are a treasure!