39 In Weekend Whispers

Woven Stories of Grace // The Weekend Brew

TWB_MaryG_1.9.15

Several weeks ago, God laid the word “legacy” on my heart in a moment of self-pity and despair when I was missing my mom. The word consumed my thoughts and I felt nudged to look at it more deeply. I began the process with my post here at The Weekend Brew two weeks ago-The Gift of Legacy – but as with all words, there are times when more needs to be said and questions need to be answered.

I challenged our Weekend Brew readers with several questions at the end of my post and one that stood out is, “Are we willing to live God’s Word in our lives and leave a legacy of God’s story woven with ours?” This fits in perfectly with my One Word for 2015, which is “Shine”.

I have lived many of my fifty-something years following the status quo especially when it comes to church. I have always done everything by the book — church on Sunday, praying when needed and when it was called for, and getting involved in the appropriate church activities.

But God…

LegacyGarden_TWB_1.9.15

God asks for so much more. My legacy – my God story – has grown considerably since I let two teenage boys, my sons, challenge me to think outside the four walls of my church. Their story has been woven with my story, not only by the blood of family, but by sharing the blood of Jesus with me. This was in 2006. Since then, my story – my legacy – has changed considerably.

My woven story of grace began not only when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, but when I let Him enter my heart. My two sons are part of my legacy – my God story – that has evolved into a love story where a God who is so good embraced me. He adores weaving His story with ours and cherishes a deeper relationship with us. I have been blessed to accept God and make Him part of the legacy that I hope will touch those that I love as well as those whom I still have the chance to love.

You see, each part of our story is woven with God’s grace and becomes His story of how He is working in us and through us. The final chapter of my legacy continues to unfold, but it has been changed by the prompting of my two sons who taught me that God is more than a building and weekly rituals.

[Tweet “Our story changes when God’s word breathes life into us.”]

We each have important, God-ordained pieces to our legacy to share, which are God-breathed and woven by His hands. Our story can change when we allow God to become part of who we are and let His word word breathe life into us.

God’s promises whispered their way into my heart and sounded like this:

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. (Psalm 139:13-14)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

His words are like love notes of grace left for us to find exactly when we need them. Will you find your love notes today? Will you allow God’s word to become part of your story and then share it with others?

Thank you for pulling up your chair with your favorite mug of hot yumminess and joining us at The Weekend Brew. We love having you here!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Betsy
    January 10, 2015 at 1:02 am

Mary, what an encouraging word you share here. “His words are like love notes left for us to find exactly when we need them.” Yes, I want His word to become part of my heart and part of my legacy. May God enrich your legacy now that you are past 50! (I turn 51 this year!) Thanks for sharing your space with Mary here, Barbie! Blessings on you both.
    Betsy recently posted..Fresh Starts: A Healthier You

January 10, 2015 at 6:32 am

Betsy-I’m glad we are in the “50” club but more importantly that we share the desire to allow God to enrich our lives. I am blessed by this community over and over and Barbie’s hospitality has given me the chance to join a beautiful group of encouragers. I pray we all turn to God to grow our legacies through His word. Blessings and hugs!

January 10, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I couldn’t have picked a better co-host Betsy. I absolutely love Mary and what she brings to this community. Thanks for stopping by!

Denise
    January 10, 2015 at 3:14 am

Beautifully written Mary! The legacy I want to leave is exactly that; that God’s Word breathed joy and grace into my life; a life of love and compassion! I want others to remember me for shining with the mercy and grace the same way God showed me. I want my love for God and my family to be what they remember about me! Love your ‘One Word” -Shine! One of my favorites!! Sparkle and shine my friend! Have a blessed weekend!
    Denise recently posted..One Powerful Word

January 10, 2015 at 6:35 am

I am blessed by your encouragement and pray we all have some sparkle in our lives anointed by God. May our legacy always point to God as the source of the joy and grace we strive to extend to others. Blessings and have a beautiful weekend!

Joanne Viola
    January 10, 2015 at 4:24 am

Beautiful post, Mary. Being over 50 as well, I loved your reminder that our story continues to unfold, our stories are not yet finished & He is yet developing the legacy we will leave behind. Wonderful post!
    Love,
    Joanne
    PS – I loved the photos of you & your sons! You are beautiful, Mary, inside & out!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..5: Of Prayer, Joy, Words & Greatness

January 10, 2015 at 6:38 am

Joanne-I have amazing sons who are both such godly men. Thank you for the beautiful compliment. It was hard to sort of admit my age because I feel much younger, but it is so important to know that life goes on and we are enriched daily by God’s grace, love and His words. I am thankful you are part of this community and you empower others through your own encouragement. Have a beautiful weekend!

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    January 10, 2015 at 4:50 am

I guess my legacy has sharpened to getting up and taking the next step when it physically hurts too much.

God isn’t so much a loving presence as He is a drill instructor, shouting in my ear.

“Get. Up. NOW!”

Because there is still work to do, and there are still rivers to cross. I don’t need a warm Divine embrace – I need to be braced to my duties, because they come first.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Welcoming a Combat Veteran Home – Five Minute Friday

January 10, 2015 at 6:41 am

I absolutely love your perspective, Andrew because you keep me grounded in the real. God is everything to everybody and it looks different for each of us. I love your words that describe how you need the “get up and go” from God and not the warm and fuzzy. May God continue your legacy through His promptings to get up and do the work He has for you each day. Blessings!

Chris Malkemes
    January 10, 2015 at 6:46 am

Thank you, Mary. A great reminder that our true journey in leaving a legacy when when we join the people of the yielded heart. What powerful things He does when we give Him absolutely everything. Yours – as always – in Him ~Chris~
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..Something New – Will You Join Me?

January 10, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Amen! God works well with a heart that is open to His will. May we yield our hearts to God to allow Him to grow our legacies with those we come in contact. Thank you for joining us here and sharing your own story of how God is working in you.

Holly Barrett
    January 10, 2015 at 6:54 am

Love this post…and those pics of you and your boys! Our legacy is so important…but love that your legacy began with the very boys that you will leave a legacy for. Happy weekend, friend!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Welcome

January 10, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Thank you Holly! I think my boys are something special too! it is wonderful to know that my legacy truly began because of my two sons. I am so thankful and told them again today what this means to me. So glad you joined us here. Hugs my friend!

Joan
    January 10, 2015 at 6:54 am

I think it is important to share our stories – the things that God has taught us. It encourages, gives hope and lifts up the Body for Christ! Sometimes we can’t figure out why something happens in our lives, but then, someone comes along who needs to hear how God has worked in our lives, you know? Our legacies are important especially when God’s love is woven throughout them!

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Joyful Expectancy

January 10, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. I believe it is only because of God that we are blessed with a legacy. His story is our story and we have the choice as to whether we continue to link with Him to grow our legacy. Blessed you joined us here today.

Cynthia
    January 10, 2015 at 7:02 am

What a wonderful post, Mary! You are right–we all have legacy. And, what a privilege it is to carry out that legacy, day by day! Oh, and the sweet joy we have when we accept the New Life breathed into us by our Lord! There is so much living to be done for the Lord! So, let us accept, revive, and run this life-race for Him! Thank you, for this post! Cynthia
    Cynthia recently posted..Bookmark Faith is the Substance of Things Hoped For…Christian Bookmark Hebrews 11:1 by PrayerNotes

January 10, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Your words make me want to actually run a race. Thank you for the encouragement and for joining us here today. May we all live our lives for God and His glory. Blessings!

Debbie @ Bible Fun For Kids
    January 10, 2015 at 8:22 am

Thanks so much for hosting!
    Debbie @ Bible Fun For Kids recently posted..Philip & the Ethiopian Eunuch

Linda@Creekside
    January 10, 2015 at 9:36 am

Dear Mary … it’s a priceless gift, really, when our own kids swing wide those doors that kick out those 4 safe walls. And allow God to move in ways we never even imagined.

You’re living your legacy, friend. And Christ is honored …

Sabbath peace and rest.
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..The Creekside 2015 Trailer

January 10, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Learning from our own children is one of the best memories I will cherish. Learning about God from my sons is priceless. I am truly blessed. Thank you for stopping by and for reaffirming what I wrote about legacy. Peace and rest to you too, friend!

Laurie Collett
    January 10, 2015 at 1:21 pm

May we leave a legacy of being a role model of studying God’s Word and being in His perfect will, giving Him the pre-eminence in all we do. Thanks for the great post & for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Beware of Scenic Overlooks

January 10, 2015 at 6:57 pm

God’s word is the beginning of all our stories and digging into it is so honoring to Him. I pray that we may all be role models for others of seeking God’s truths in His word. Have a blessed weekend!

Kathryn Ross
    January 10, 2015 at 2:33 pm

A grand and glorious word for the year, Legacy! I love how you draw out the meaning in relation to the footprint we leave behind. Our life story becomes a legacy in our own little corner of the world. We don’t have to be some great celebrity or world changer. By virtue of existing we ARE world changers and a legacy happens. The value of that legacy in terms of eternity should be our priority in this life . . . leading us to the heart and intimacy of God IN our life.
    Blessings as you leave your mark this year . . .
    Kathy

January 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Thank you Kathy! We are just ordinary people but when we allow God to be the leader in our lives we can make a difference. Your words above are a great depiction of legacy. Thank you and I am so glad you joined us.

Elizabeth
    January 10, 2015 at 7:13 pm

So your sons led you to Christ? Wow!
    Elizabeth recently posted..John 17:23…

Laura
    January 10, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Beautifully written! Thank you for sharing some of your personal story! I don’t want to be so stubborn that I fail to allow God to be woven into my legacy. I want His light to shine through me and out of me so that others can see Him in me.
    Laura recently posted..Caring for Humanity in the Chaos of the Daily Grind

January 11, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Praying for all that God’s light is one of the first things others see when they are around us. May we embrace the legacy that God has planned for each of us. Thank you for joining us today.

Dolly@Soulstops
    January 11, 2015 at 11:10 am

Mary,
    I love how you are sharing God’s “love notes” with us and how your sons encouraged you…Thank you…P.S. Hi Barbie 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..This is a tough subject (& 6 Ways You can Help)

Jedidja
    January 12, 2015 at 11:51 am

Mary, thank for encouraging word, you shared here with us. God bless you
    Jedidja recently posted..Je bent kostbaar!

Heather
    January 13, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Barbie and Mary, while this season of my life has me not participating in link ups, what you write still blesses me!!
    And Mary… This…

“Our story can change when we allow God to become part of who we are and let His word breathe life into us.”

How true that is. I call those glory stories when we can look back and see – and say – what God has done in our lives.
    Blessings to you both.
    Love, Heather

January 15, 2015 at 3:20 am

Glory stories indeed! God shows up in a big way everyday in our lives and many times we never notice. May we always feel His presence and know His presence in our lives.

We are so blessed that you stopped by to encourage us! Love and hugs!
      Mary Geisen recently posted..God Bookends Our Story

Dianna Auton (@DiannaAuton)
    January 14, 2015 at 7:07 am

Beautiful. Thank you for this post. #BloggerCareGroup
    Dianna Auton (@DiannaAuton) recently posted..Project 52 Week 2

Lux Ganzon
    January 15, 2015 at 6:12 am

Inspiring! I’ve heard this from one preacher before: No one has come face to face with God and remained unchanged. It’s a radical life with Him. 🙂

January 16, 2015 at 10:43 am

Thank you, Lux! A life with God is indeed radical and an absolute blessing. Blessed you stopped by.
      Mary Geisen recently posted..God Bookends Our Story