39 In Weekend Whispers

Grace Like Rain // The Weekend Brew

grace.500

I painted this piece last Sunday during worship.  Before I went out on stage, I was pondering this verse,

Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me.  (Psalm 42:7 ESV)

As I reflected on this verse, all I could think about were the waves — not the all consuming waves of God’s presence which bring refreshing, but the waves of life which threaten to overtake you and pull you under, leaving you gasping for air, unable to breathe without the weight of the water being felt with every inhale. At least that’s how they feel to me.

Life has brought one wave after the other lately — Job loss, strained relationships, financial stress.  If I’m not careful I could be swept under by the shear weight of my circumstances. It’s easier sometimes to allow the waves to take me, rather than fighting to stay afloat.

But as I began to paint, I could feel the intense peace of the Lord on me. I know that it’s only God who can allow me to minister through such a heavy place. It’s not about me, and His desire was not that I capture the wave, but rather the rainfall of His grace.

In that moment, God wanted to remind me that He offers grace, and more and more grace, for the hard places. I mess up, I get angry and resentful, I covet what other’s have, I wish I could go back and have a do over, a do differently, I become complacent and nothing in life excites me any more.

But then I remember His grace. It first met me at the cross, the day I laid my life down and made the decision to follow Him.

It’s grace that reminds me that He sees my imperfections, and yet He still loves me.

It’s grace that turns my anger into compassion when I surrender it to Him.

It’s grace that allows me to see my life as a blessing, just the way it is.

It’s grace that reminds me that in my weakness, He is strong.

Grace is within my reach. I simply have to continue to look up.

I had previously chosen a black canvass and metallic colors — blues and purples, mixed with a few other shades of non metallic, not yet knowing what the end result would be. As I began to paint, God shared with me that the rain of His grace was flowing over me, and that in the rain there is life, hope, joy, peace and provision. He showed me my own heart, how dry and thirsty it was and invited me to come, to stand up underneath His grace, and allow it to wash all of my heavy burdens away.

[Tweet “I’d rather be consumed by the rain of His grace, than overtaken by the waves of this life.”]

Are you carrying a heavy burden today? Will you allow God to refresh you with the rain of His grace?

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Elizabeth
    February 27, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Your art is so beautiful, Barbie.
    Elizabeth recently posted..The Perfect Heating Pad

February 27, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Thank you Elizabeth!

Elizabeth
    February 27, 2015 at 11:29 pm

I love seeing and reading about your painting and what God was speaking to you and through you. My heart is hurting for you and all you are going through. Know that you are in my prayers.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Each day brims with Your beauty…

February 28, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I appreciate you Elizabeth. I enjoy seeing the beauty you post on your blog.

Betsy
    February 28, 2015 at 12:45 am

This is a beautiful post, Barbie. So encouraging to me today as I sit inside on a rainy Saturday morning after a long busy week. You are a talented painter as well as writer. May His rain of grace wash over you.
    Betsy recently posted..Open Homes, Open Hearts (Five Minute Friday)

February 28, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Thanks so much Betsy!

Denise
    February 28, 2015 at 2:43 am

What beautiful words and painting Barbie! I would love to share your inspiration and encouragement to others. When uncertainty is tainting our moods, we know that the Lord’s grace is the beacon of light that will provide the pathway to a place of prosperity!! ♥ The more we pursue Him with our whole heart — the more His grace is visible to us!

Blessings and prayers sweet friend ♥
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Builders and Drainers

February 28, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Denise, you are welcome to share any time! Thank you for being a blessing in my life.

saleslady371
    February 28, 2015 at 4:53 am

You have heard and shared beautifully what the Lord is saying and now we know too.

February 28, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for stopping by and reading saleslady317. So thankful you were blessed.

Mary Geisen
    February 28, 2015 at 6:13 am

There is something about water and waves that stirs up my emotions and causes me to reflect deeply about my own life. Visiting the ocean is my favorite thing to do. With that said, your image, your words and your heart fit together perfectly to share with us how mighty our God is through the storms of life. Thank you as always and praying that God keeps leading you to the answers you need. Love you friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Stillness

February 28, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Thank you Mary. I know He’s always good. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend.

Debbie @ Bible Fun For Kids
    February 28, 2015 at 6:32 am

Thanks so much for hosting!
    Debbie @ Bible Fun For Kids recently posted..Teen Tuesday: Christian Love

February 28, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for stopping over Debbie.

Dawn
    February 28, 2015 at 6:36 am

What a beautiful Grace you have rained upon us as we sit under the gift of your words, Barbie. Beautiful Art, beautiful because it flows from His heart into yours and out onto others. Beautiful words, beautiful because they begin and end in this grace wave you are allowing to flow over you and then through you. Beautiful heart, beautiful because it is real, you are transparent and honest and in that moment of deep calling into deep.. Healing waves flow and restore, showing us His grace in glory waves.

Thank you, Barbie! Praying for His mercy and grace to be known deep in your heart as you go to the throne of grace each and every moment. Your breakthrough is coming,friend.
    Bless you,
    Dawn
    Dawn recently posted..Relentless Grace

February 28, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Dawn, your words bless me today. Thank you for stopping by and encouraging my heart.

June
    February 28, 2015 at 8:26 am

I’m sorry you’re carrying such a heavy burden. You’ve been in my prayers, dear one. Your painting is beautiful, I’m so thankful that God showered peace upon you in this way. It’s hard to imagine, but rest in the promise that our current afflictions truly are light in the face of the weight of glory we will have in heaven. Blessings, my friend.

February 28, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Thank you for your continued prayers June!

Ginger Harrington
    February 28, 2015 at 8:35 am

What a beautiful painting and the encouragement the Lord gave you in the meaning of the image is just what I needed this morning. What a blessing you are even in the midst of your struggles. You are a true picture of faithfulness.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..Come Find Your Strong

March 1, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Ginger, you encourage me greatly with your words. Thank you!

Deb Wolf
    February 28, 2015 at 8:35 am

This is one of my favorites! It’s beautiful! Love your heart dear friend. Thank you for sharing it so freely with all of us. Blessings!
    Deb Wolf recently posted..My Heart Changed When He Changed My Focus (Link Party)

March 1, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I am so thankful you are blessed by my art. Have a beautiful week Deb!

~ linda
    February 28, 2015 at 11:53 am

How lovely and peaceful…the colors, the design, the words.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Careful Medication and Eldercare @ Soli Deo Gloria Connections

March 1, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Thank you Linda!

Laurie Collett
    February 28, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Barbie, the lines, movement and colors of this painting are so evocative, as are your word pictures. Thanks for the lovely post & for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Three Dolphins

March 1, 2015 at 12:31 am

Thanks for linking up Laurie!

Lea
    February 28, 2015 at 5:56 pm

A beautiful post Barbie and I can’t even imagine how hard it must be for you right now. I pray that it will all come together very soon and it will all make sense for you. Life can be so tough at times and it’s hard to put one foot in front of the other. May He be your strength and peace during these difficult and uncertain times. Hugs to you!
    Lea recently posted..Friday Fragments

March 1, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Thank you for your prayers Lea!

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    February 28, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Lovely painting…especially to a surfer! And I am praying for you.

As for me, I won’t be dragged under, because hope floats.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Visiting Hours {Five Minute Friday / The Weekend Brew}

March 1, 2015 at 12:30 am

AMEN Andrew! Thanks for stopping by.

Tammy
    March 1, 2015 at 5:17 am

I love the picture you painted and the reminder that His grace is like rain. Your quote, I’d rather be consumed by the rain of His grace, than overtaken by the waves of this life is something to remember when the struggles of life appear. Thank you for your beautiful words this morning. Blessings to you, Tammy
    Tammy recently posted..WORTHY OF THE CALLING

March 1, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Tammy!

Michelle Anderson
    March 1, 2015 at 7:13 am

I’m praying for you Barbie! Your light is shining brightly despite your circumstances. Keep letting the Lord be your strength! <3
    Michelle Anderson recently posted..Thankful_February 23_March 1

March 1, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Thank you Michelle. Grateful to walk alongside so many beautiful souls in this big world of blogging.

Kimberly David
    March 1, 2015 at 9:02 pm

“The rain of His grace.” What a beautiful phrase full of hope. I love the idea you painted of God’s grace washing over us, carrying away the heavy burdens we carry. And the picture that resulted from your meditations is exquisite!
    Praying for you!

March 1, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Kimberly! So excited to see you here today. Thank you for your encouragement. Hugs!

Lisa @ SLP
    March 2, 2015 at 9:19 am

this is good friend. i know this to be true in my heart, but life builds up and for a tiny little minute i let it flood my emotions and i forgot that grace and hope is always bigger than my circumstances. thank you for the reminder, and praying for you and your family.

Mindy
    March 3, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Consumed by the rain of His grace and not the waves of this life – I so needed this reminder today. I have one of those hard moments in life this afternoon and was feeling those waves. My focus was off. I will lean in to His amazing grace and together we will see this through. Thank you…
    Mindy recently posted..In living color

Adoption Mama
    March 5, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Beautiful Grace! How well I need to remember those words. Feeling totally consumed by life right now. Thanks for the reminder to stay close to the cross.
    Adoption Mama recently posted..Overwhelming Fear and Grief…But God