Grace Like Rain // The Weekend Brew

I painted this piece last Sunday during worship.  Before I went out on stage, I was pondering this verse,

Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me.  (Psalm 42:7 ESV)

As I reflected on this verse, all I could think about were the waves — not the all consuming waves of God’s presence which bring refreshing, but the waves of life which threaten to overtake you and pull you under, leaving you gasping for air, unable to breathe without the weight of the water being felt with every inhale. At least that’s how they feel to me.

Life has brought one wave after the other lately — Job loss, strained relationships, financial stress.  If I’m not careful I could be swept under by the shear weight of my circumstances. It’s easier sometimes to allow the waves to take me, rather than fighting to stay afloat.

But as I began to paint, I could feel the intense peace of the Lord on me. I know that it’s only God who can allow me to minister through such a heavy place. It’s not about me, and His desire was not that I capture the wave, but rather the rainfall of His grace.

In that moment, God wanted to remind me that He offers grace, and more and more grace, for the hard places. I mess up, I get angry and resentful, I covet what other’s have, I wish I could go back and have a do over, a do differently, I become complacent and nothing in life excites me any more.

But then I remember His grace. It first met me at the cross, the day I laid my life down and made the decision to follow Him.

It’s grace that reminds me that He sees my imperfections, and yet He still loves me.

It’s grace that turns my anger into compassion when I surrender it to Him.

It’s grace that allows me to see my life as a blessing, just the way it is.

It’s grace that reminds me that in my weakness, He is strong.

Grace is within my reach. I simply have to continue to look up.

I had previously chosen a black canvass and metallic colors — blues and purples, mixed with a few other shades of non metallic, not yet knowing what the end result would be. As I began to paint, God shared with me that the rain of His grace was flowing over me, and that in the rain there is life, hope, joy, peace and provision. He showed me my own heart, how dry and thirsty it was and invited me to come, to stand up underneath His grace, and allow it to wash all of my heavy burdens away.

[Tweet “I’d rather be consumed by the rain of His grace, than overtaken by the waves of this life.”]

Are you carrying a heavy burden today? Will you allow God to refresh you with the rain of His grace?

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

1. Elizabeth says:

Your art is so beautiful, Barbie.
    Elizabeth recently posted..The Perfect Heating Pad

2. Elizabeth says:

I love seeing and reading about your painting and what God was speaking to you and through you. My heart is hurting for you and all you are going through. Know that you are in my prayers.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Each day brims with Your beauty…

3. Betsy says:

This is a beautiful post, Barbie. So encouraging to me today as I sit inside on a rainy Saturday morning after a long busy week. You are a talented painter as well as writer. May His rain of grace wash over you.
    Betsy recently posted..Open Homes, Open Hearts (Five Minute Friday)

4. Denise says:

What beautiful words and painting Barbie! I would love to share your inspiration and encouragement to others. When uncertainty is tainting our moods, we know that the Lord’s grace is the beacon of light that will provide the pathway to a place of prosperity!! ♥ The more we pursue Him with our whole heart — the more His grace is visible to us!

Blessings and prayers sweet friend ♥
    Denise recently posted..Builders and Drainers

5. saleslady371 says:

You have heard and shared beautifully what the Lord is saying and now we know too.

6. Mary Geisen says:

There is something about water and waves that stirs up my emotions and causes me to reflect deeply about my own life. Visiting the ocean is my favorite thing to do. With that said, your image, your words and your heart fit together perfectly to share with us how mighty our God is through the storms of life. Thank you as always and praying that God keeps leading you to the answers you need. Love you friend!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Stillness

7. Thanks so much for hosting!
    Debbie @ Bible Fun For Kids recently posted..Teen Tuesday: Christian Love

8. Dawn says:

What a beautiful Grace you have rained upon us as we sit under the gift of your words, Barbie. Beautiful Art, beautiful because it flows from His heart into yours and out onto others. Beautiful words, beautiful because they begin and end in this grace wave you are allowing to flow over you and then through you. Beautiful heart, beautiful because it is real, you are transparent and honest and in that moment of deep calling into deep.. Healing waves flow and restore, showing us His grace in glory waves.

Thank you, Barbie! Praying for His mercy and grace to be known deep in your heart as you go to the throne of grace each and every moment. Your breakthrough is coming,friend.
    Bless you,
    Dawn recently posted..Relentless Grace

9. June says:

I’m sorry you’re carrying such a heavy burden. You’ve been in my prayers, dear one. Your painting is beautiful, I’m so thankful that God showered peace upon you in this way. It’s hard to imagine, but rest in the promise that our current afflictions truly are light in the face of the weight of glory we will have in heaven. Blessings, my friend.

10. What a beautiful painting and the encouragement the Lord gave you in the meaning of the image is just what I needed this morning. What a blessing you are even in the midst of your struggles. You are a true picture of faithfulness.
    Ginger Harrington recently posted..Come Find Your Strong

11. Deb Wolf says:

This is one of my favorites! It’s beautiful! Love your heart dear friend. Thank you for sharing it so freely with all of us. Blessings!
    Deb Wolf recently posted..My Heart Changed When He Changed My Focus (Link Party)

12. ~ linda says:

How lovely and peaceful…the colors, the design, the words.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Careful Medication and Eldercare @ Soli Deo Gloria Connections

13. Barbie, the lines, movement and colors of this painting are so evocative, as are your word pictures. Thanks for the lovely post & for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Three Dolphins

14. Lea says:

A beautiful post Barbie and I can’t even imagine how hard it must be for you right now. I pray that it will all come together very soon and it will all make sense for you. Life can be so tough at times and it’s hard to put one foot in front of the other. May He be your strength and peace during these difficult and uncertain times. Hugs to you!
    Lea recently posted..Friday Fragments

15. Lovely painting…especially to a surfer! And I am praying for you.

As for me, I won’t be dragged under, because hope floats.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Visiting Hours {Five Minute Friday / The Weekend Brew}

16. Tammy says:

I love the picture you painted and the reminder that His grace is like rain. Your quote, I’d rather be consumed by the rain of His grace, than overtaken by the waves of this life is something to remember when the struggles of life appear. Thank you for your beautiful words this morning. Blessings to you, Tammy
    Tammy recently posted..WORTHY OF THE CALLING

17. I’m praying for you Barbie! Your light is shining brightly despite your circumstances. Keep letting the Lord be your strength! <3
    Michelle Anderson recently posted..Thankful_February 23_March 1

18. “The rain of His grace.” What a beautiful phrase full of hope. I love the idea you painted of God’s grace washing over us, carrying away the heavy burdens we carry. And the picture that resulted from your meditations is exquisite!
    Praying for you!

19. Lisa @ SLP says:

this is good friend. i know this to be true in my heart, but life builds up and for a tiny little minute i let it flood my emotions and i forgot that grace and hope is always bigger than my circumstances. thank you for the reminder, and praying for you and your family.

20. Mindy says:

Consumed by the rain of His grace and not the waves of this life – I so needed this reminder today. I have one of those hard moments in life this afternoon and was feeling those waves. My focus was off. I will lean in to His amazing grace and together we will see this through. Thank you…
    Mindy recently posted..In living color

21. Beautiful Grace! How well I need to remember those words. Feeling totally consumed by life right now. Thanks for the reminder to stay close to the cross.
    Adoption Mama recently posted..Overwhelming Fear and Grief…But God