An Invitation: Come As You Are // The Weekend Brew

A new day begins and as the world wakes up in all its glory we only need to “come as we are”. No pretenses, no specific expectations – just who we are and what we bring as a daughter, son, mother, father, wife, husband, sister or brother.

Come as you are beckons the sun cresting the horizon as dawn stretches wide across the land.

Come as you are the birds cheerfully sing as a wake up call for all who catch their musical strains.

Come as you are begs the alarm clock as its call slices through the silence.

Come as you are is the call of your friends as they gather to share love, support and camaraderie just when you need it.

Come as you are whispers God lovingly…

I accept the broken, unloved, desperate, unworthy and unwanted. I caress the hurting and those with unspoken needs with gentle, love filled words. I am light, grace and worthiness ready to be shared with all.

In a world of perfect, of appearances are not as they seem, of beautiful means acceptance – come as you are is a complete misfit. In our world of fitting in equals happiness, going against the norm is stepping into a reality that most do not want to enter.

Come as you are has taken on a whole new meaning in the last few weeks as God reminded me through my struggles that He wants me just the way I am. In the middle of hurting and uncertainty, God met me with the reality that I needed to be “real”, remove the armor of self-assurance and show others that I am vulnerable and weak. My tough exterior needed to crumble to reveal the real me. My outer appearance needed to match the inside reality of turmoil, anxiety and uncertainty. The mask of beauty needed to be stripped to release the ugly truth-I am a mess!

What I learned when truth appeared…

1. My friends still loved me and rallied around, ugly crying and all.

2. Being real with all those you love just makes them want to love you more.

3. Letting the facade down is freeing and cleansing.

4. God will always love me and choose me over and over to be His own.

[Tweet “When struggles come to tear you down, God comes to build you up.”]

I am blessed that when struggles come and want nothing more than to tear me down, God also comes right along by my side to support me through the trauma and mess.

This beautiful song, Come As You Are by David Crowder shares hope and a God who understands and still calls us back when hurting or broken.

I am blessed that you here are today at The Weekend Brew. Your encouragement and beautiful posts are all a treasure.

Mary.2Mary is mom of two grown sons, an elementary teacher and a woman seeking God in the ordinary routines of life. Mary shares her grace journey at her blog, Passage Through Grace.  You can also connect with Mary on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Grab a cup of coffee, or tea, or a warm glass of milk and join us at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

1. Betsy says:

Thank you so much for this message of hope and acceptance today, Mary. I love that invitation to come as I am. It’s a good thing because I’m a mess, the worst of all sinners, just like Paul! (At least we’re all in good company, right?) Thanks for sharing so openly your thoughts and your brokenness here. I’m going to remember this week: when struggles come to tear me down, God comes to build me up!
    Betsy recently posted..Keep Yourselves in the Love of God (No Matter What)

2. Thank you for this invitation and encouragement to be real. We were just discussing this yesterday as we plan a “Be Still” retreat. Talking about how we need to strip off the trappings of the world – makeup, fancy clothes, nice shoes, etc – and get real and vulnerable with God. To truly “be” with Him, we need to let Him into our real. As you point out, we also need to let our friends into our real so they can truly support and love us in our times of need.
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..The Surprising Reason I Resisted Stillness

3. Joanne Viola says:

Mary, I have loved that song since first hearing it. So grateful He bids me “Come” today & every day! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..5: Of Children, Marriage, & Faith

4. Beth says:

That song by David Crowder has become one of my favorites. And your words today, friend, are just the reminder I need. I am also reminded of this beautiful hymn >>>
    Love you both, Mary and Barbie.
    It makes me smile to see the two of you linking arms together in this beautiful online world.
    Beth recently posted..Remember His Faithfulness

• Mary Geisen says:

Thank you for affirming that God speaks to us beautifully through songs. He also adores when we just spend time with Him. May we all stop the craziness of the world each day to be still and listen in our joy, sorrow and messiness. Blessed that Barbie allows me to walk along side her at The Weekend Brew. She is an amazing encourager and friend. Thank you for being part of this community Beth! Hugs!
      Mary Geisen recently posted..An Invitation: Come As You Are…The Weekend Brew

5. A big Amen to this, Mary. (and the Dunbars are huge Crowder fans)

6. great post!

There are different aspects of come as you are, though. I’m neither weak, nor vulnerable, nor broken.

As illness progresses, as pain and debility increase, I just get stronger. I survived today; I can’t be broken tomorrow. The hurt may attack me, but I will return, and I’ll bring the pain. This is war, and war is what I’m good at.

People may love me for this, or not. I know some don’t, and would far prefer I admit to a weakness I don’t feel, and to “lean back into the pain and let go”.

Yeah, right. When pigs fly.

And I may be wrong, and Jesus will say He never knew me. But I’ll still walk up to Jesus, and look Him in the eye. He’s supposed to be my Brother, right?

Guess we’ll see what happens. I’ll send y’all a postcard.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Keeping Secrets In Marriage {Five Minute Friday / The Weekend Brew}

7. Kim Stewart says:

Mary, what a beautiful post and invitation to come as I am! Have a great weekend, Kim

8. ~ linda says:

Dear Mary, just last night I needed to admit that in growing older, I am less and less the person I think I was. I shared this with my sweet husband and we had a wonderful conversation. It opened up this beautiful truth that we are as God made us and He wants us to come as we are. I needed to say that out loud to my husband so that I could hear me and know that I need to be as I am and come to my marriage that way too. I have changed because of age and growth in the Lord and so many of life’s circumstances that changed me.
    Thank you so much for this today.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..100 + Whole-Hearted Books To Fight Back the Culture | Guest Post

• Mary Geisen says:

Amen Linda! We do change and the beauty is that as followers of Christ, He supports us along the way with such love that we can be real with Him and with others. I love that your conversation with your husband gave you the opportunity to process changes out loud-a spoken affirmation for yourself. Thank you for being here! Love your heart and words.
      Mary Geisen recently posted..An Invitation: Come As You Are…The Weekend Brew

9. Mary, thank you for this beautiful reminder to be real. That God loves us just as we are, where we are, but too much to keep us the same!
    Ellen Chauvin recently posted..14 Ways to Love Your Husband – Part 2

10. Kathryn Ross says:

Blessings, Mary! A great and encouraging reminder that I don’t have to be all that. Currently, the Lord has me in a place where I just haven’t the faintest idea what I’m doing. But, I’m called to do it–all the more glory to Him who alone makes me able. But, the vulnerability and the battle to balance going forward in confidence with wanting to curl up in a ball and roll away . . . it’s the faith walk. Glad I’m not alone.
    Joy to you!
    Kathryn Ross recently posted..A Vintage Valentine Story

11. Years ago I came to grips with being real after God showed me how ugly my fake, superficial tendencies were to Him. He wanted me to be me… my messes and all. What freedom there is found in transparency. I appreciate your words to honesty and realness. (If that’s even a word.) I can relate to you, friend! Bless you. I’m lifting you in prayer today!
    Julie Lefebure recently posted..One Day At A Time

12. Praise God that He knows us completely, with all our needs and sins, and yet He loves and accepts us anyway, just as we are! And then He proceeds to transform us into the image of His Son! Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Rocks in My Path

13. Elizabeth says:

True friends love the real us. It people are loving a facade, how is that real relationship? And it’s certainly not satisfying. Transparency is vulnerable and risky, but so worth it.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Faith working through love…

14. Laure Covert says:

Such a lovely post! Thank you – I have been overwhelmed with the beauty of this Crowder song – playing it over and over again in my car as I travel from place to place – knowing my imperfections are being worked into God’s plan for me. It is a heart’s cry, too, for those who have never known the love of Christ – the beckoning, welcoming wonderful love! Awesome post – I write again 🙂

15. June says:

I’m sorry you’re hurting, Mary. I pray for God’s comfort for you. And I hear ya, it’s hard to wear makeup when you can’t stop crying. I pretty much gave up on that facade this week. It’s okay to cry. It’s cleansing, oh so cleaning. Our Lord stores up our tears in a bottle for a reason. Perhaps, later, we’ll use them to cleanse the feet of our Savior. Blessings.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . drowning: a poem

16. June says:

June recently posted..Inspired by . . . drowning: a poem

17. Beautiful, Mary. I am blessed to have you as a friend. Truly truly blessed. And the words you share always point to God and give Him glory. <3
    Heather @40YearWanderer recently posted..The Apology of “Blogging”: Why I Am Not Meant To

18. Kym says:

We sang that beautiful David Crowder song in church this morning. It has become a favorite of mine because it expresses God’s love for us, and his longing for us to quit striving and just come to him. Praying for you this week, that God continues to comfort and encourage you through His Word and the faithful friends He has surrounded you with.
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot – February 8, 2015

19. Ann says:

I heard that song a few weeks ago on the radio and have been singing it ever since! 🙂 It’s quite catchy!! I also am SO grateful that the Lord calls us to “Come as we are”! Thanks for reminding us all how His love is unconditional and not full of condemnation!!
    Ann recently posted..The Love Chronicles: Grandfather’s Love letters

20. DeAnna says:

Mary thank you for your honesty and your willingness to TRUST. This is something that the Lord and I are working on this year… Your words give me courage to press in and press on and to, indeed, TRUST God to be trustworthy when I let go of the mask and self-preservation walls. Blessings to you on your continued journey!

And thank you Barbie for stopping by my blog… It is great to meet you! I look forward to getting to know you!

21. Debbie G. says:

Thanks for this encouraging post. Your words – “I am blessed that when struggles come and want nothing more than to tear me down, God also comes right along by my side to support me through the trauma and mess.” – is so true. He is forever faithful! I’m glad you shared the four lessons you learned when truth appeared. Makes me braver to be more transparent with others. Have a blessed day!
    Debbie G. recently posted..Happy Monday Morning ~ What to Value on Monday Morn