39 In Weekend Whispers

An Invitation: Come As You Are // The Weekend Brew

TWB_2.6.15

A new day begins and as the world wakes up in all its glory we only need to “come as we are”. No pretenses, no specific expectations – just who we are and what we bring as a daughter, son, mother, father, wife, husband, sister or brother.

Come as you are beckons the sun cresting the horizon as dawn stretches wide across the land.

Come as you are the birds cheerfully sing as a wake up call for all who catch their musical strains.

Come as you are begs the alarm clock as its call slices through the silence.

Come as you are is the call of your friends as they gather to share love, support and camaraderie just when you need it.

Come as you are whispers God lovingly…

I accept the broken, unloved, desperate, unworthy and unwanted. I caress the hurting and those with unspoken needs with gentle, love filled words. I am light, grace and worthiness ready to be shared with all.

In a world of perfect, of appearances are not as they seem, of beautiful means acceptance – come as you are is a complete misfit. In our world of fitting in equals happiness, going against the norm is stepping into a reality that most do not want to enter.

Come_as_you_are_TWB.600

Come as you are has taken on a whole new meaning in the last few weeks as God reminded me through my struggles that He wants me just the way I am. In the middle of hurting and uncertainty, God met me with the reality that I needed to be “real”, remove the armor of self-assurance and show others that I am vulnerable and weak. My tough exterior needed to crumble to reveal the real me. My outer appearance needed to match the inside reality of turmoil, anxiety and uncertainty. The mask of beauty needed to be stripped to release the ugly truth-I am a mess!

What I learned when truth appeared…

1. My friends still loved me and rallied around, ugly crying and all.

2. Being real with all those you love just makes them want to love you more.

3. Letting the facade down is freeing and cleansing.

4. God will always love me and choose me over and over to be His own.

[Tweet “When struggles come to tear you down, God comes to build you up.”]

I am blessed that when struggles come and want nothing more than to tear me down, God also comes right along by my side to support me through the trauma and mess.

This beautiful song, Come As You Are by David Crowder shares hope and a God who understands and still calls us back when hurting or broken.

I am blessed that you here are today at The Weekend Brew. Your encouragement and beautiful posts are all a treasure.

Mary.2Mary is mom of two grown sons, an elementary teacher and a woman seeking God in the ordinary routines of life. Mary shares her grace journey at her blog, Passage Through Grace.  You can also connect with Mary on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Grab a cup of coffee, or tea, or a warm glass of milk and join us at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Betsy
    February 7, 2015 at 3:41 am

Thank you so much for this message of hope and acceptance today, Mary. I love that invitation to come as I am. It’s a good thing because I’m a mess, the worst of all sinners, just like Paul! (At least we’re all in good company, right?) Thanks for sharing so openly your thoughts and your brokenness here. I’m going to remember this week: when struggles come to tear me down, God comes to build me up!
    Betsy recently posted..Keep Yourselves in the Love of God (No Matter What)

February 7, 2015 at 5:12 am

I love being in community with you, Betsy! We are blessed by a God who made us real and messy but in the process He heals, teaches and sends exactly who we need for the journey. Thank you for your sweet words and for being such an encouraging member of this community. Weekend Blessings!

Kathryn Shirey
    February 7, 2015 at 4:07 am

Thank you for this invitation and encouragement to be real. We were just discussing this yesterday as we plan a “Be Still” retreat. Talking about how we need to strip off the trappings of the world – makeup, fancy clothes, nice shoes, etc – and get real and vulnerable with God. To truly “be” with Him, we need to let Him into our real. As you point out, we also need to let our friends into our real so they can truly support and love us in our times of need.
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted..The Surprising Reason I Resisted Stillness

February 7, 2015 at 5:15 am

Amen to friends and support because without our people walking along side us, including our Father, we would be nothing. Praying that your retreat allows you to strip the exterior of your bodies to reveal your souls and true selves to each other and to God. Weekend Blessings! So glad you are here!

Joanne Viola
    February 7, 2015 at 4:10 am

Mary, I have loved that song since first hearing it. So grateful He bids me “Come” today & every day! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..5: Of Children, Marriage, & Faith

February 7, 2015 at 5:17 am

Crowder’s song stops me dead in my tracks every time. Everything falls away with the reminder from God to “come as we are”. It truly is an invitation of such love and adoring grace. Blessed as always when you join us here because your encouragement is integral to this community. Blessings!

Beth
    February 7, 2015 at 4:26 am

That song by David Crowder has become one of my favorites. And your words today, friend, are just the reminder I need. I am also reminded of this beautiful hymn >>> https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/1048
    Love you both, Mary and Barbie.
    It makes me smile to see the two of you linking arms together in this beautiful online world.
    xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Remember His Faithfulness

February 7, 2015 at 5:21 am

Thank you for affirming that God speaks to us beautifully through songs. He also adores when we just spend time with Him. May we all stop the craziness of the world each day to be still and listen in our joy, sorrow and messiness. Blessed that Barbie allows me to walk along side her at The Weekend Brew. She is an amazing encourager and friend. Thank you for being part of this community Beth! Hugs!

Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life
    February 7, 2015 at 5:18 am

A big Amen to this, Mary. (and the Dunbars are huge Crowder fans)

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    February 7, 2015 at 6:41 am

great post!

There are different aspects of come as you are, though. I’m neither weak, nor vulnerable, nor broken.

As illness progresses, as pain and debility increase, I just get stronger. I survived today; I can’t be broken tomorrow. The hurt may attack me, but I will return, and I’ll bring the pain. This is war, and war is what I’m good at.

People may love me for this, or not. I know some don’t, and would far prefer I admit to a weakness I don’t feel, and to “lean back into the pain and let go”.

Yeah, right. When pigs fly.

And I may be wrong, and Jesus will say He never knew me. But I’ll still walk up to Jesus, and look Him in the eye. He’s supposed to be my Brother, right?

Guess we’ll see what happens. I’ll send y’all a postcard.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Keeping Secrets In Marriage {Five Minute Friday / The Weekend Brew}

February 8, 2015 at 7:58 am

Thank you for your words and for the honesty you share about who you are and how strong you are. God strengthens us when we turn to Him and shows us that we can overcome. I am blessed by your words. Sabbath blessings!

Kim Stewart
    February 7, 2015 at 8:25 am

Mary, what a beautiful post and invitation to come as I am! Have a great weekend, Kim

~ linda
    February 7, 2015 at 9:08 am

Dear Mary, just last night I needed to admit that in growing older, I am less and less the person I think I was. I shared this with my sweet husband and we had a wonderful conversation. It opened up this beautiful truth that we are as God made us and He wants us to come as we are. I needed to say that out loud to my husband so that I could hear me and know that I need to be as I am and come to my marriage that way too. I have changed because of age and growth in the Lord and so many of life’s circumstances that changed me.
    Thank you so much for this today.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..100 + Whole-Hearted Books To Fight Back the Culture | Guest Post

February 8, 2015 at 8:00 am

Amen Linda! We do change and the beauty is that as followers of Christ, He supports us along the way with such love that we can be real with Him and with others. I love that your conversation with your husband gave you the opportunity to process changes out loud-a spoken affirmation for yourself. Thank you for being here! Love your heart and words.

Ellen Chauvin
    February 7, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Mary, thank you for this beautiful reminder to be real. That God loves us just as we are, where we are, but too much to keep us the same!
    Ellen Chauvin recently posted..14 Ways to Love Your Husband – Part 2

Kathryn Ross
    February 7, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Blessings, Mary! A great and encouraging reminder that I don’t have to be all that. Currently, the Lord has me in a place where I just haven’t the faintest idea what I’m doing. But, I’m called to do it–all the more glory to Him who alone makes me able. But, the vulnerability and the battle to balance going forward in confidence with wanting to curl up in a ball and roll away . . . it’s the faith walk. Glad I’m not alone.
    Joy to you!
    Kathy
    Kathryn Ross recently posted..A Vintage Valentine Story

February 8, 2015 at 8:04 am

Love your honesty and willingness to share with me that feeling of curling up in a ball-I get that! Praying for you and all others that when we are given hard challenges, God’s love and grace become even bigger to strengthen us for the next steps.

Julie Lefebure
    February 7, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Years ago I came to grips with being real after God showed me how ugly my fake, superficial tendencies were to Him. He wanted me to be me… my messes and all. What freedom there is found in transparency. I appreciate your words to honesty and realness. (If that’s even a word.) I can relate to you, friend! Bless you. I’m lifting you in prayer today!
    Julie Lefebure recently posted..One Day At A Time

February 8, 2015 at 8:06 am

Thank you Julie! I have covered a lot of years in my life appearing to be the strong one because in some ways it was easier than the alternative. Your words encourage me to continue to allow God to work on me from the inside out to better serve and honor Him. Blessings!

Laurie Collett
    February 7, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Praise God that He knows us completely, with all our needs and sins, and yet He loves and accepts us anyway, just as we are! And then He proceeds to transform us into the image of His Son! Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Rocks in My Path

Elizabeth
    February 7, 2015 at 7:00 pm

True friends love the real us. It people are loving a facade, how is that real relationship? And it’s certainly not satisfying. Transparency is vulnerable and risky, but so worth it.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Faith working through love…

February 8, 2015 at 8:09 am

Transparency is very worth the messiness that can result. God already knows who we are but a relationship will survive if we open ourselves to reality if it was meant to be a relationship. Thank you for being here and have a blessed week!

Laure Covert
    February 8, 2015 at 6:59 am

Such a lovely post! Thank you – I have been overwhelmed with the beauty of this Crowder song – playing it over and over again in my car as I travel from place to place – knowing my imperfections are being worked into God’s plan for me. It is a heart’s cry, too, for those who have never known the love of Christ – the beckoning, welcoming wonderful love! Awesome post – I write again 🙂

February 8, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Crowder’s song is definitely a heart cry and has been speaking so strongly to me since the beginning of this year. The invitation that we are good enough just the way we are brings me to my knees in thanksgiving that I am enough for God. Thank you for being here today!

June
    February 8, 2015 at 7:42 am

I’m sorry you’re hurting, Mary. I pray for God’s comfort for you. And I hear ya, it’s hard to wear makeup when you can’t stop crying. I pretty much gave up on that facade this week. It’s okay to cry. It’s cleansing, oh so cleaning. Our Lord stores up our tears in a bottle for a reason. Perhaps, later, we’ll use them to cleanse the feet of our Savior. Blessings.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . drowning: a poem

June
    February 8, 2015 at 7:42 am

June recently posted..Inspired by . . . drowning: a poem

February 8, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Amen to tears and the cleansing that comes with their release. You always affirm my words because somehow you get it too. Thank you for being that person for me and for always encouraging me here at The Weekend Brew. Have a great week!

Heather @40YearWanderer
    February 8, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Beautiful, Mary. I am blessed to have you as a friend. Truly truly blessed. And the words you share always point to God and give Him glory. <3
    Heather @40YearWanderer recently posted..The Apology of “Blogging”: Why I Am Not Meant To

Kym
    February 8, 2015 at 5:38 pm

We sang that beautiful David Crowder song in church this morning. It has become a favorite of mine because it expresses God’s love for us, and his longing for us to quit striving and just come to him. Praying for you this week, that God continues to comfort and encourage you through His Word and the faithful friends He has surrounded you with.
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot – February 8, 2015

Ann
    February 8, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I heard that song a few weeks ago on the radio and have been singing it ever since! 🙂 It’s quite catchy!! I also am SO grateful that the Lord calls us to “Come as we are”! Thanks for reminding us all how His love is unconditional and not full of condemnation!!
    Ann recently posted..The Love Chronicles: Grandfather’s Love letters

DeAnna
    February 9, 2015 at 5:35 am

Mary thank you for your honesty and your willingness to TRUST. This is something that the Lord and I are working on this year… Your words give me courage to press in and press on and to, indeed, TRUST God to be trustworthy when I let go of the mask and self-preservation walls. Blessings to you on your continued journey!

And thank you Barbie for stopping by my blog… It is great to meet you! I look forward to getting to know you!

Debbie G.
    February 9, 2015 at 8:12 am

Thanks for this encouraging post. Your words – “I am blessed that when struggles come and want nothing more than to tear me down, God also comes right along by my side to support me through the trauma and mess.” – is so true. He is forever faithful! I’m glad you shared the four lessons you learned when truth appeared. Makes me braver to be more transparent with others. Have a blessed day!
    Debbie G. recently posted..Happy Monday Morning ~ What to Value on Monday Morn

February 9, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I am learning how to be better at “brave”. God teaches and provides during those moments when relying on yourself is exactly what you should not do. I am blessed by your words and thank you for joining us here at The Weekend Brew.