Deepening // The Weekend Brew

The voice calls often and repeats its message as a tender inquiry,

A low whisper that floats in on the wings of morning.

A gentle, inviting voice that offers more than just its sweet melody.

The voice beckons for me to read, dive deeper and embrace the Word of God.

The voice craves one on one time teaching and filling me with His goodness.

The voice is God and His one desire is my time with Him in His word.

Since the beginning of 2015, I have been pursued harder to spend time in God’s Word.

unnamed

The deepening is the work being done in the dark crevices, the hard to reach places and inner chambers of our hearts. It is not just the reaching in, but the softening and acceptance that takes place as the deepening pursues and eventually takes up residence. It is God pursuing us into a deeper relationship through His Word and the pursuit requires our time.

In the deepening, God produces a heart work to open wide the inner core to hear and know Him. He knows that His word is the key and He loves when we spend our time reading and learning.

[Tweet “In the deepening God sets us free with the truth of His Word.”]

We read in Hebrews 4:12:

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

The words describe beautifully the strength and power we find in the Word. I have found the Word to be alive and this is what God has been revealing to me in my time with Him.

When we embrace God’s Word, one drop becomes many and fills us with satisfaction and nourishment. The Word refreshes, satisfies and fills the emptiness that is consuming until we open wide our hearts to His truth.

[Tweet “One drop of God’s Word refreshes and satisfies our souls! “]

Our time in the word is rewarded by this promise…

Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.  (Proverbs 30:5)

I am blessed each time I stop and take time for God. His reward is setting me free with the truth of His Word.

How do you allow the deepening to happen in your own lives? Is digging into God’s Word part of the process you use to deepen your relationship with God?

As always, we love that you stop by and sit for a while with your favorite cuppa each weekend. You make this community better by being here!

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

1. Lux Ganzon says:

Some good takes for the weekend. Thanks as always! 🙂
    Lux Ganzon recently posted..20 Things Women Do More And Better Than Men

2. Betsy says:

I appreciate your encouragement to draw closer to God, to walk more closely with Him, Mary. I think God’s Word is an integral part of my drawing closer too. Also worship. The times when I stop to lift up a little song, either out loud in the car or at home, silently somewhere else.Also just sitting before God in silence. 🙂
    Betsy recently posted..Gathering Together for Brighter Light

3. Deepening is doing my job. Even though I was ill last night, it meant sitting up with a sick Pit Bull who felt worse than I did.

God made her; He entrusted her to me. That’s pretty much it.

She’s still feeling awful, but she survived the night, and the sunrise.

Her name is Rapunzel. Puzzle to her friends, which pretty much includes the whole wide world…including cats and rabbits.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Gather A Good Marriage {Five Minute Friday / The Weekend Brew)

4. Elizabeth says:

My photo didn’t post with my link. If you’ll delete it, I’ll repost it.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart…

5. Chelle says:

Love this post. The Lord has been speaking to me about deepening my relationship as well and I have been working on that. Thank you for your words! Blessings!
    Chelle recently posted..Created Anew

6. Hi Mary and Barbie!
    Sometimes I find myself just not wanting to open my bible, not wanting to even communicate with God, and then I feel guilty, which brings me further from Him. For me, music is what helps me return. A certain worship song, or a song with the lyrics of just what I need to hear will draw me in and I once again find myself at the feet of Jesus and repentance and cleansing follow. He truly is an awesome God. Thanks for posting this, and, as always, for hosting.
    Mary Dolan Flaherty recently posted..Speak English!

• Mary Geisen says:

I love your honesty and confession because even though God calls us to spend time with Him and deepen our relationship with Him, we all have times when this is not reality. I am so glad that God still draws you back in through music. Thank you for being here and have a blessed weekend!
      Mary Geisen recently posted..Deepening… The Weekend Brew

7. Anita says:

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your post. I loved where you said – “Our hearts are filled with God when we desire more of Him. In the craving of more and the opening of our hearts to hearing His Word, we allow the deepening to take place- filling the crevices and inner chambers of our hearts.” I so agree. The more I read His Word, the more I crave for our Lord and His truth. I’m spending time reading through the Old Testament at the moment, and so value what He is bringing my attention to through it.
    God bless 🙂
    Anita recently posted..The Lord is our Rock

8. Kathryn Ross says:

Blessings Mary & Barbie! A call to go deeper . . . and so necessary with so many distractions that can keep us in bondage to a scant, surface Christianity. I find smaller doses of Scripture to chew on throughout the day goes further than binge Bible reading. It’s not a race in the reading–it’s a relationship. Supping a line or two for depth of meaning has always been my reader’s choice. Great post on a topic central to our walk with Him.
    Joy!
    Kathy
    Kathryn Ross recently posted..Grand-Girl Pinks

• Mary Geisen says:

Thank you Kathryn! I love how you shared that it is all about a relationship with God and not about binge reading of the Bible. It’s a great way to look at the importance of digging in deeper rather than spreading ourselves too thin. Thank you for being here! Blessings!
      Mary Geisen recently posted..Deepening… The Weekend Brew

9. Elizabeth says:

Oh, how I love God’s Word! It is life-givng, soul-restoring, mind-renewing, and so vital to me!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart…

10. Beautiful words, friend. It is truly in the Word of the Lord that we can go deeper than we ever imagined. Sometimes that’s comforting and then again, sometimes it is downright scary. There are times I don’t wanna go deeper. I’m fine just skimming along the surface. But my heart knows what I truly need and is always willing to call me deeper to hear the words He has specifically for me…even when it hard, it’s always a comfort to hear His voice. Happy Sunday! xoxo
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Remain in me

11. Heather says:

Love this so much! A call to get all in to the living sustenance we need ever so much to keep our eternal perspective. Oh It feeds us well!
    Wonderful encouragement, Mary!
    Heather recently posted..The Story of My Healing: How Healing Moments Lead to Ultimate Healing {SDG Part 4}

12. Love that His Word is active and oh so sharp…He adjusts my attitude in ways I could never myself! I would be so lost without His Word, and I am enjoying the #LentChallenge I am on, which is sort of like a Gospel Feast for 40 days. I feel so FULL of Jesus. Loved your quotes, Mary!
    Dawn Paoletta (@breathoffaith) recently posted..March Whispers Green

13. Beth says:

Mary, you have expressed so beautifully the power of spending time with Him and in His Word. This is why I am so in love with Bible Study Fellowship because it has transformed my time with Him.
    Love you much, friend.
    Love you too, Barbie.
    (((hugs))) to both of you.
    xoxo
    Beth recently posted..Scattering of Love :: Batch 6

14. Beth says:

Your words remind me of a beautiful worship song by Bethel Music – “Closer.” I don’t know if you’ve heard it before but it is a comfort to me. And, like you’ve pointed out here, Mary, God takes us deeper and closer to His heart when we read His word. Thanks for your inspirational voice in the challenges of my day!
    Beth recently posted..Comment on Feeling like a victim in a hopeless marriage? SJT Video by » Feeling like a victim in a hopeless marriage? SJT Video

• Mary Geisen says:

Thank you for being here Beth! I will have to check out that song. I actually am new to Bethel worship music but love everything I have heard. Praying we ll go deeper in God’s word and draw closer to Him in the process. Blessings to you for a beautiful week!
      Mary Geisen recently posted..Deepening… The Weekend Brew

15. So beautiful! May we always follow His still, small voice inviting us into His Word! Thanks for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Triplets of Spirit: Know, Seek, Find