34 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Real // Five Minute Friday

Today I’m linking up with Kate Motaung’s Five Minute Friday and joining some of the most beautiful women on the internet for five minutes of free write. No editing, backtracking or need for perfection. Just words free flowing from my heart to yours.

Real

mask_600

It takes courage to be real.
to put one’s self out there,
to share from the depths of a heart,
aching with the pain of desire to be known.

How will I be perceived
when I share the real me?
Empty at times, weary and worn,
days filled with anxiety and depression
Will they judge?
Will they love?
Will they desire to get to know the real me?

It would be much easier to hide
behind the mask and the thick walls
which so easily hide my sin and shame,
hiding my real self so that others might accept me.

The God of the universe saw fit to
create me just the way that I am —
flawed, imperfect, a work in progress.

[Tweet “He sees behind the mask, breaks through the wall and reaches out His arms to embrace His own.”]

This is the real me,
embraced by the arms of my Eternal Father
forever loved and always accepted.

*Image by graur codrin at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Heather Faria
    March 19, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Love, love, love this, Barbie! Coming out from behind the masks has been something the Lord has been teaching me so much this last year! Living without shame is a process I’m finding that doesn’t happen overnight, (at least not for me) but the more I learn about grace and His love for me, the more I experience the freedom of being known and accepted by Him! Beautiful poem!!!
    Heather Faria recently posted..My First Guest Post!

March 21, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Thanks Heather. I am enjoying writing the poetry. Hope you’re having a great weekend.

Lux Ganzon
    March 20, 2015 at 3:01 am

The beautiful truth about or God who can meet us wherever we are and loves us so unconditionally. Thanks for another beautiful and inspiring post. I miss visiting your blog. Forgive me for not visiting often. My loss though. 🙂
    Lux Ganzon recently posted..I Choose To Be Happy

March 21, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Thank you for visiting Lux. And no apology needed. I am blessed by your encouragement.

Joanne Viola
    March 20, 2015 at 5:34 am

Wonderful post, Barbie. It takes such strength & courage to be real. And when we dig deep & become real with one another, there is such blessing which comes. So grateful for your constant transparency. May we always be brave & be real.
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Real

March 21, 2015 at 11:42 pm

I’ve learned so much in this area over the last year Joanne. It’s not always easy, but I think it’s necessary. Hugs!

Wanda
    March 20, 2015 at 5:42 am

You have managed to captured the inner struggle of coming out and walking in our trues selves so eloquently Barbie.

March 21, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Thank you so much Wanda!

Amy P Boyd
    March 20, 2015 at 6:49 am

I love the real you, Barbie. How you share your heart and faith so honestly is such an encouragement.

March 21, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Grateful to be in community with you Amy. Let’s continue to be real shall we?

Barbara
    March 20, 2015 at 7:02 am

WOW, Barbie! How closely our posts connect!! I used the word “perceive” in mine as well; and I was questioning how “real” I am…but I am who I am; this is me!! Loved your words! Thank you for sharing!
    Barbara recently posted..Five Minute Friday – REAL

March 21, 2015 at 11:49 pm

LOVED your post Barbara. So thankful to share this journey with you.

Chris
    March 20, 2015 at 7:42 am

Truly coming from the heart. When you write like this the “real” come to the surface like cream in a bucket of milk. Everyone knows the cream is the best part. Good job, my friend, good job.
    Chris recently posted..The Rope

March 21, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Oh Chris, you make me smile! Thank you!

Nannette and the Sweetheart
    March 20, 2015 at 7:45 am

Beautiful! Love your take on REAL. Flawed, imperfect and a work in progress. That’s me! So thankful Jesus is ever patient with His own. Blessings! ♥
    Nannette and the Sweetheart recently posted..What if we ALL were REAL?

March 21, 2015 at 11:50 pm

The real me, loved by a real God. He’s so good!

Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes)
    March 20, 2015 at 8:03 am

Barbie! I think this is my favorite post of yours yet! So good, friend. Your vulnerability and honest seeking of Him are a blessing in many ways. Keep on friend. You are not alone.
    Jolene Underwood (@Faith_Eyes) recently posted..A real mess {FMF: Real}

March 21, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Thanks for cheering me on Jolene!

Sandy
    March 20, 2015 at 8:03 am

I tried writing once for 5 minutes when I went to a writers group with my SIL….I was really horrible at it. Others came up with very interesting pieces. Just not a skill I have I guess.

I’m out and about today, visiting gearing up for the up coming challenge. Always nice to meet new bloggers. Good luck to you.
    Sandy recently posted..Reflection of Women and Handcrafts

March 21, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Sandy, I am so thankful you stopped by. I remember how scared I was when I first starting using the 5 Minute prompts. But it does get better! I hope you will try again. Blessings!

~Karrilee~
    March 20, 2015 at 8:22 am

So beautiful, my friend! But then, I have come to expect nothing less! Love you so!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Keepin’ it REAL – A Five Minute Friday Post

March 21, 2015 at 11:58 pm

You’re my favorite! Ha, I love you girl!

Beth S.
    March 20, 2015 at 8:26 am

Just beautiful, Barbie. I’m reading Don Miller’s newest book, Scary Close, and he writes about how this being our true selves and how not being real impacts our level of intimacy in relationships. It’s a challenging but great book.

I so adore you, friend. You are always held close in prayer.

Much love.
    xoxo
    Beth S. recently posted..Scattering of Love :: Batch 8

March 21, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Sending you a great big hug across the miles Beth. I would love to sit and chat over coffee with you!

Lisa Brittain
    March 20, 2015 at 11:26 am

Barbie, thank you for sharing from your heart…your real and transparent heart!
    Bless you with GREAT JOY on your amazing journey with Jesus!!
    Thank you for your encouragement today.
    Lisa Brittain recently posted..Tuesday @ Ten::Strength

March 22, 2015 at 12:01 am

I receive that blessing Lisa. Thank you!

Betsy
    March 20, 2015 at 12:25 pm

This is the real me,
    embraced by the arms of my Eternal Father
    forever loved and always accepted.

Oh I love this, Barbie. Because it’s the real ME too! Lovely and real poem.
    Betsy recently posted..Real Rest for Tired Superwomen

March 22, 2015 at 12:02 am

I’m so thankful to be held in His arms, no matter what. Have a blessed week Betsy!

Misty Brown
    March 20, 2015 at 5:25 pm

There’s much freedom in putting down the mask and just being yourself. Thank you for putting down the mask and sharing with us.

March 22, 2015 at 12:02 am

Thank you for stopping by Misty!

Katha
    March 21, 2015 at 10:54 am

Great post, Barbie!
    It’s a shame that fear is often keeping us back from showing the real us. I tried to step out and be bold in the last couple of months and it’s been a blessing! Yes, it took courage, but I got so much love and realness and honesty in return – definitely a good path to stay on!
    Have a great weekend! – your FMF neighbor
    Katha recently posted..[Five Minute Friday] Real

March 22, 2015 at 12:05 am

Fear does cause us to withhold the person God created us to be, our real and true selves. Fear of man, fear of rejection, fear of failure. I’m so thankful for His grace and continued strength to rise up from the ashes, leaning on my Beloved, taking the journey toward true authenticity.

Diana Rockwell
    March 22, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I have often worn a mask. The clown that is laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. Sometimes my heart is breaking but I put on a face not the real one. Thanks for being real. Blessings Diana
    Diana Rockwell recently posted..Real

Amy
    March 22, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Wow! You have amazing talent for poetry. I can’t imagine coming up with that in five minutes LOL. How important to be real in today’s world. I agree… it’s easier to wear a mask at times.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog too! 🙂 I appreciate that you took the time to do that.
    Amy recently posted..Are you REAL?