31 In Weekend Whispers

Life’s Lens // The Weekend Brew

What do you surround yourself with each day, each hour or minute? Does life look like an ending becoming a new beginning? Do you watch as the day turns into night and the cycle of many awakes becomes many sleeps? Does the sun remind you of all the possibilities that lie ahead and the moon becomes the lullaby that sings you to sleep? Does life greet you with joy or are the challenges consuming, stopping your forward movement?

Surely, Lord, you bless the copy

We can look at our lives and point out all that is right or wrong with what we see, but we have the choice of deciding what lens to look through. Choices come at us at warp speed everyday and with them come the opportunities to make decisions to move us forward or hold us back.

[tweetthis]Looking through a God – lens gives us a perspective that points toward Heaven. @MaryGeisen #TheWeekendBrew[/tweetthis]

Life’s Lenses

Love ~ This lens looks like give and take, compassion for others and the willingness to embrace others in our lives

Grace ~ The lens of grace allows us to give others “do overs” because God extends the same mercies to us each day

Humility ~ Our work, our accomplishments look secondary through this lens and we live to build into others

Servant’s Heart ~ This lens takes the focus off ourselves and instead permits us to see, help and reach out to others. We put others first as Jesus showed us during His time on Earth

Gratitude ~ Life greets you with praise and thanksgiving and looking through this lens convicts you to count your blessings as your worship to God

These lenses point to God and show us a perspective that points to Heaven. But life is is not just about the five lenses mentioned above. The world constantly pulls us away from right and instead turns us toward fear, uncertainty, anger, and self-righteousness.

But we have a choice – the world or God! We can choose our lens and trust that it provides clear vision and perspective as we live our life. We can choose refuge and redemption in God and surround ourselves with His grace, love, mercy and humility.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
12 Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield.
(Psalm 5:11-12)

We can run our race with a perseverance that succeeds because we set our sights on Jesus in all we do. We can live in and with joy, knowing that God is the only lens we need.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
(Hebrews 12:1-3)

I am praying for all that in this journey called life, we learn where our strength, truth and joy lie and with this knowledge we are able to see clearly straight to Jesus, Our Savior.

Knowing that life is one of perspective, how do you see clearly in all you do? What other lenses do you choose to look through as you live your life?

We are so glad you are here at The Weekend Brew. Thank you for your encouragement and beautiful posts.

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post (it’s in the footer of my site), or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Betsy
    April 18, 2015 at 3:55 am

Happy Saturday to you, Mary and Barbie! I hope you’ll both have great days.

Mary, I’m encouraged by your list of “lenses.” I need to get a pair of those glasses! 🙂 This reminds me today that life is how we look at it. I love that Psalm 5 scripture.
    Betsy recently posted..Tomorrow: A Fresh Start and New Mercies

April 18, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Happy Saturday, Betsy! I am in great need of these glasses too. Just think how clear and purposeful our lives would look when we choose to put them on each day. As for Psalm 5-it is a jewel-a blessing of words to remind us that God will surround us with His protective shield. Blessings friend!
      Mary Geisen recently posted..Life’s Lens …The Weekend Brew

Michele Morin
    April 18, 2015 at 4:18 am

Happy Saturday! Thank you for all your efforts in hosting this link up. I do enjoy seeing your post in my email. Going on vacation this week with the family, so I’ll be behind on my reading and writing (and everything else, heaven help me!) but will catch up with you next weekend.
    Michele Morin recently posted..Pay Attention

April 18, 2015 at 1:18 pm

What a blessing that you stopped by even though you are getting ready for vacation. Praying that your time away is full of fun and rest. Happy vacation to you!

Joanne Viola
    April 18, 2015 at 4:57 am

Wonderful post, Mary. It is so true – focus determines everything. May we keep our eyes fixed & may He help us to see life through His lens. May both you & Barbie have a wonderful weekend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..5: Of Encouragement, Contentment & Grace

April 18, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Focus, perspective and the choices we make with both does determine everything. May our eyes fix on Jesus and our hearts embrace His truth. Happy weekend to you, Joanne!

Ifeoma Samuel
    April 18, 2015 at 5:07 am

Thank you for the five seeds of wisdom you have sowed in my life today.
    God Bless Mary.
    Ifeoma Samuel recently posted..When You feel Like That Messy Girl

April 18, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Your words always bless and encourage me. Thank you for being part of this community. Praying your weekend is blessed and full of rest and renewal.

Listening & A Gentle Response | Health & Home & Heritage
    April 18, 2015 at 5:19 am

[…] with The Weekend Brew and Faith Filled […]

Mary Dolan Flaherty
    April 18, 2015 at 6:28 am

Mary, I love this because it is very much like my post today. My mother’s roommate in rehab is looking at life through a dirty and gloomy lens. I guess God doesn’t make mistakes with matching people up in rehab…Sometimes I think I’m going to visit both. Thanks for sharing this.
    Mary Dolan Flaherty recently posted..Live in the Now!

April 18, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I love that you shared about your mom and roommate today. I can’t wait to read your post to hear more. God definitely does not make mistakes and knows exactly what He is doing even if we cannot see it at the time. Praying that the interaction between your mom and her roomie works toward the good of God. Weekend Blessings!

Faith Journey goes to Malta!
    April 18, 2015 at 6:49 am

[…] Sharing with Family Fun Friday, Grace and truth, Saturday Soirée, Recommendation Saturday, SITS sharefest, Weekend Brew […]

June
    April 18, 2015 at 7:11 am

Happy Saturday to both you lovely ladies! Great post on perspective, Mary. The lens of scripture is vital, as our own perspectives can be so flawed. Great stuff to take us through the weekend!

April 18, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Thank you for sharing another lens to add to my list above. The lens of scripture is not one that I have thought about before but it is so important to find our truth in God’s word and use this as our perspective daily. I am always glad to see you here each weekend. Blessings!

Life’s Lens …The Weekend Brew | Passage Through Grace
    April 18, 2015 at 7:11 am

[…] reading at The Weekend Brew to discover what your lens of perspective is in […]

Lux Ganzon
    April 18, 2015 at 8:21 am

Excited to be joining another fun link up. And definitely striving to look at life in the lens given by God. 🙂
    Lux Ganzon recently posted..When Your Life Is On A Detour

April 18, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Thank you Lux! Barbie provides such a beautiful community and I am honored to host The Weekend Brew every other weekend. Praying that your life reflects God’s through the perspective and lens that you choose each day. Have a blessed day!

Julie Lefebure
    April 18, 2015 at 9:16 am

Beautiful post, Mary! Thank you again for hosting this incredible link up, Barbie. Praying you both are doing well! I enjoy the list of life lenses! So good! Helps me change my perspective, especially today. God bless you both!
    Julie Lefebure recently posted..Five Weeks!!!

April 18, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Happy Saturday, Julie! Praying we all see clearly through the lens that God chooses for us and we change our perspective to match His. I love having you here today and I hope you have a beautiful weekend.

Laurie Collett
    April 18, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Beautiful post! May we use all these lenses to view every day as a gift! Thanks for hosting and God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Communion for the Believer: Past, Present and Future

April 19, 2015 at 7:59 am

The gift of God’s lenses are in the beautiful perspective we receive as we view each day. I am praying with you that we all choose a lens to view life that leads us closer to God. Thank you as always for being here.

Elizabeth
    April 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm

What lens are you looking through? I love this. I want to look at life through Jesus glasses!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me…

April 19, 2015 at 8:00 am

How glorious would it be if we all had Jesus glasses? Thank you for joining in and being here. You are a treasured member of this community. Happy Sunday to you!

Urailak @LivingforGod
    April 19, 2015 at 2:33 am

I enjoyed reading your insightful post. It reminds me of my all time favorite hymn, “Be Thou My Vision” :). I want to look at everything through God’s perspective and live in the light of eternity.
    Urailak @LivingforGod recently posted..Perfect Peace

April 19, 2015 at 8:02 am

I love the reminder of the song “Be Thou My Vision”which reflects much of what I wrote in this post. I also want to live in the light of eternity through the perspective that puts God first in my life. So glad you are here today.

Michelle Anderson
    April 19, 2015 at 6:07 am

I keep thinking I am tired of blog hopping, but then the Holy Spirit keeps nudging me to participate because there is encouragement here in the blog parties. Thanks Mary.
    Michelle Anderson recently posted..Thankful_April 13_April 19

April 19, 2015 at 8:04 am

I agree Michelle but these blog parties have a way of filling us with just the right words when we need them. I am always grateful when I see you joining in. Hope your Sunday and coming week are blessed.

Beth
    April 19, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Such a beautiful way to “look at” our walk with the Lord, Mary! This makes me think of calling the many lenses you’ve mentioned, our “spectacles of faith.” I tend to try and look at life without using my “spectacles” and then I’m seeing things blurry and distorted. Hmmm, kind of reminds me of my video that I posted today. Thanks for the “insight,” my friend! Love seeing you here at the Weekend Brew!
    Beth recently posted..Comment on How I was a Right-Fighter And WW Linkup! by Lux @ About Life and Love

April 19, 2015 at 12:54 pm

What a great expression-spectacles of faith! We all need some of those spectacles to look at life through God’s eyes and not just our own. I can’t wait to check out your video today. Blessed as always that you are joining us here each week!

Kym
    April 19, 2015 at 5:41 pm

The “lens” that God has been prescribing for me lately is the one that allows me to see others as my brothers and sisters in the Lord. Even today that lesson was reinforced through the message and the music in church this morning, and even in what might otherwise be an unpleasant encounter. I am learning to remember that my focus needs to be on the Lord, and that fellow Christians are (hopefully) running towards the cross as well – we’re headed the same direction although we tend to get in each other’s way at times!
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot – April 18, 2015

April 20, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Thank you for sharing your lens. Too often we do not view others as our brothers and sisters in Christ even though we are headed in the same direction-toward God. I am praying that as you learn to look through this lens others also are doing the same as we all head toward the cross. Blessings!