Rise // Five Minute Friday

It’s been a long while since I joined the beautiful writers at the Five Minute Friday. I am thankful to the Lord for speaking to my heart in five minutes. This is where we write unafraid, free and real. No heavy editing, no backtracking, just words overflowing from His heart to yours.

Word prompt: Rise

Rise_FMF_600

Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Keep looking up.

God will never give you more than you can handle.

Look on the bright side.

There is always hope.

Life has as way of beating you down sometimes. And when you finally get tired of fighting back, you lay down, throw up your hands and surrender. Some would say it’s quitting. Others would say it’s a season of “rest”. Still some would question whether you can still continue to live a life devoted to the Lord when you’d rather “give up” and stop fighting for a season.

When the wrestling becomes too hard, when the weight becomes too heavy, when you feel as if you’ve been swallowed up by a hole of despair, where do you go?

I want to look to the hills, for I know it’s where my help comes from. But all I see when I look forward is a deep, dark place. My vision has become a bit cloudy. Oh, I want to push through, to hold my head high and to know that I know that He is in control.

I believe I am experiencing some sort of a minor, emotional break based on years of disappointment and reaching forward only to be thrown back five steps for every one taken. When you’ve been the strong one, for the sake of work and family and have not allowed yourself to grieve so many losses and disappointments, sooner or later it catches up with your emotions and you just stop.

Living life when you can’t feel, when you’ve become numb to all that is around you, is that really living at all? I build walls to self protect, not wanting to feel the hurt, the shame, the disappointment.

Yet even in this hard place I know that He is here. His presence is real. I’ve been moved to tears in worship and I’ve heard His still small voice in the darkness of the night.

[tweetthis]As I lay my life down in surrender, He calls me to rise up and come away with Him. @BarbieSwihart[/tweetthis]

My beloved spoke, and said to me:
“Rise up, my love, my fair one,
And come away.
11 For lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone.
12 The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of singing has come,
And the voice of the turtledove
Is heard in our land.
13 The fig tree puts forth her green figs,
And the vines with the tender grapes
Give a good smell.
Rise up, my love, my fair one,
And come away!
(Song of Solomon 2:10-13)

[tweetthis]It is in His presence where I am reminded of who I am. @BarbieSwihart[/tweetthis]

I am His beloved.
I am not forsaken.
I am healed and whole.
I am forgiven
I am free.

So I will surrender my hurt and pain to the King of Kings. I will rise up and go with Him to the secret place. There I will find my rest. There I will find my healing.

BarbieSignature

1. Dara says:

I connected with this so deeply, Barbie. Fighting through is often necessary, but there’s no shame in the inevitable need for His rest and comfort. May you find what you need during this season. 🙂
    Dara recently posted..Rise.

2. Mary Geisen says:

i love everything about this. Your vision has been cloudy but rising up to meet God and join Him in His presence has given you perspective. I love your beautiful words from the Song of Solomon. Love you girl!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Rise

3. Betsy says:

I’m am so awed and encouraged, Barbie, that after all you’ve been through, you can say this:
    “I am His beloved.
    I am not forsaken.
    I am healed and whole.
    I am forgiven
    I am free.”
    You’re an amazing woman who encourages others as you share your real heart. #FiveMinuteFriday
    Betsy recently posted..God Can Turn The Worst Day Around

• Barbie says:

Thank you Betsy. I write the words to encourage my own heart, lest I forgot who it is He says I am. Thank you for your love and encouragement.

4. Barbie thanks for sharing from your heart. I can really feel you in this post and I am proud of you for putting your heart out there for all of us to share. You and Diana have really encouraged me to get back to my blog and reach out to others as you have done here. You are in my prayers my friend. God bless ~Shannan
    Shannan Williams recently posted..Authority In Prayer by Dutch Sheets (my review)

• Barbie says:

I am so thankful our hearts connected through blogging. You, my friend, have words to share. Write them so I can read them! Hugs!

5. This is excellent. Thank you writing it. I am sorry you’ve such a difficult season, but so glad you are His. Keep going on to Him. Internet hugs.
    Jamie S. Harper recently posted..Keep Yourselves from Idols

6. Beautiful, Barbie!!

Thinking of you and thanking God for you!!

“rise up and walk…in newness of life”.
    Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered recently posted..Taking a bit of time to sit a spell…

7. Tara says:

Barbie, so good to see you here. In the midst of your hard, God has given you a new perspective. May you continue to rise up and follow him.

8. Barbie, God is with us. God is good all the time, even when times are tough. I loved what you wrote and I can so relate. This really touched me, “I am His beloved.
    I am not forsaken.
    I am healed and whole.
    I am forgiven
    I am free.”

We are all of those things. He is our Abba, and we are his daughters. I love you my friend. Diana
    Diana Rockwell recently posted..Rise

9. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh my friend… how I have missed you! And I love that you wrote from Song of Solomons because – #Swoon! Praying for you… you are right – you can only push through for so long before you must stop all the pushing out and up and around and just simply sit… feel… rest… heal. Praying for all of those things for you! xoxo
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..The Tough Love of Rise Up and Walk – A Five Minute Friday post…

• Barbie says:

My heart jumped for joy to see you here Karrilee. I’ve thought a lot about you over the last week. Praying for you and all the good that God is doing in your life and the life of your family.

10. Mindy says:

Going through a very tough time some months back walking with extended family through circumstances that could easily be a movie of the week I know some of those times of heaviness, carrying burdens we were not meant to carry yet unable to give them completely over. Being still is when I found peace. It took many times of giving the same burdens over and over as I continued to take them back but longer periods of peace ensued between the taking and giving. Being still, not fighting the battle but allow the Lord too. I am reminded of a phrase from the song “Redeemed” by Big Daddy Weave. If you are not familiar with it, check it out on You-tube.

Here is a portion: Seems like all I could see was the struggle
    Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
    Bound up in shackles of all my failures
    Wondering how long is this gonna last
    Then You look at this prisoner and say to me “son
    Stop fighting a fight it’s already been won”

I am redeemed, You set me free
    So I’ll shake off these heavy chains
    Wipe away every stain, now I’m not who I used to be
    I am redeemed, I’m redeemed
    Mindy recently posted..A stick of butter

• Barbie says:

Thank you for sharing the song Mindy. I’ve heard it before and am going to look it up and listen again. Have a blessed weekend.

11. Amy says:

Can relate to this in many ways. Even the minor emotional breaks should be celebrated! it’s something, it’s movement! 🙂

• Barbie says:

I never look at it that way, Amy, as the emotional breaks being movement. Thank you for giving me a new perspective.

12. Gayl says:

“When you’ve been the strong one, for the sake of work and family and have not allowed yourself to grieve so many losses and disappointments, sooner or later it catches up with your emotions and you just stop.” I’ve been so close to this place many times. You just run out of energy and feel you can’t handle another things. But God is so faithful. We need to take his hand and follow him, just as you said, to the secret place, even if it seems impossible. I am reminded of poem/prayer I wrote in Oct. of 2014, and thought it might encourage you. http://gaylwright.blogspot.com/2014/10/give-me-grace-lord.html

13. Lea says:

Awe, I can so sense the heaviness of your heart my friend and I pray that even as you wait that you can feel His presence. And, never forget, He has a plan, not just a good plan but a perfect plan. It’s just really hard at times to keep on keeping on. Hugs to you and God’s richest blessings!
    Lea recently posted..Questions and Answers………..

14. Michelle says:

my heart is with your heart. I know the place you speak of. You are not alone. You are never alone. ❤️
    Michelle recently posted..Thankful_May 18_May 24

15. Katy R says:

Barbie, Thanks for stopping by my little blog, and even more, thanks for this post. You express your thoughts and emotions so well, and I can identify with them. I am reminded of a recent journal where I wrote “You say cast your cares on Me, but I cannot carry them. I cannot cast these cares!” Such tension clinging to Truth while living the realities of weakness and darkness in our lives. I LOVE how you sum it up with “That is the only answer to life’s problem’s really. A life completely surrendered to God and a willingness to rise up and go with Him into the secret place.” YES! It’s that secret place that has saved me time and time again, just that still small voice giving me just enough to get by, that single spot of light to focus on. Praying that He’ll continue to meet you there. ~Katy
    Katy R recently posted..rise

16. Barbie,
    I’ve been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. I’ve taken a break too from so much posting – not just Five Minute Friday, but writing and posting in general. I just needed to slow down, and take care of some other things for awhile.

I am glad to see your post here. And we have a connection in our Five Minute Friday post. I wrote about the old, old hymn “I Will Arise and Go To Jesus (Come, Ye Sinners!). I feel like we’ve just caught up a bit. I am so grateful for your real life honesty and authenticity.

Praying for you to come through the clouds and see yourself victorious – as you are –
    Blessings of Great JOY on this amazing journey with Jesus!!
    Lisa
    Lisa Brittain recently posted..Five Minute Friday::Rise

17. Elizabeth says:

I’m just now catching up on some blog reading after the busyness of our girl’s wedding. Reading this, I wish I had something substantial and life-changing to say that would make things better for you. But I don’t have any reasons why you’ve gone through this long, hard season, nor any promise that it will all be better tomorrow. What I do have to give is love and prayer and a word of encouragement not to quit.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Surprises in the midst of life happening…