Coffee, Books & Relaxing In The Sun // Monday Morning Chit Chat

Welcome to Monday Morning Chit Chat! I’m so glad you are here. Todays’ post was created with the help of Michele, who asked the following questions of me:

Coffee? What are your thoughts on the perfect cup?

If you know me at all, you know how much I LOVE coffee. My Freshly Brewed Life (my former blog name) was coffee inspired, as well as my book, Coffee Talk With Jesus. I am thankful that at my age (soon to be 49!) I can still enjoy a cup during the day or evening and not be bothered by it.

I love both hot and cold coffee, although I drink more hot coffee in the winter and almost always iced coffee in the summer. For me, the perfect cup of coffee is on the sweater side. Yes, I am one of those who likes coffee with my cream, I like it white! My favorite hot coffee drinks when I buy them are Zebra Mochas (a mix of dark and white chocolate), Cinnamon Dolce Lattes (because I love cinnamon) or a Chai Tea Latte. But now that it’s summer, I cannot get away from the Ice Caramel Macciatto with an extra pump of vanilla.

*photo credit

I believe the perfect cup of coffee is anything that leaves you satisfied after drinking it.

Are you doing any reading just for fun?

I have to admit that reading has been a little difficult lately. I have so many books I want to read, but can’t seem to quite down long enough, or focus my attention long enough, to actually enjoy reading them. One of the many books I have on my Kindle that I thought would be a fun read is this one:

You can read more about it here.

Magazine recommendations?

I don’t buy near as many magazines as I use to. Recipes, housekeeping and organizational tips are all found on line and within the blogs I read. However, I occasionally l like to pick up this magazine at my local Wal-Mart:

AllYou is jam packed with helpful tips on organization, budgeting, recipes, make up tips, etc. It also has quite a bit of coupons that I have found useful in the past.

Favorite read in the hammock?

Oh this question has me wanting a hammock so badly. I can just imagine myself climbing into it and never getting up. Especially if I had a good book in my hand with an ocean view to look at. I think the book that is on my shelf that would warrant an all-day hammock read would be this one:

Find it on Amazon.

A powerful retelling of the story of Gomer and Hosea, Redeeming Love is a life-changing story of God’s unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love.

I’ve had this book for a very long time and haven’t been able to sit down and read it yet. I think there will be a lot of healing when I finally am able to read it, perhaps in the hammock while over looking the beach.

*photo credit

I hope you enjoyed our chit chat this morning. Would you take a moment to share what’s in your perfect cup, and/or a favorite book or magazine?

Happy Monday!

1. Cathy says:

I’m more of a tea drinker… But when I do have coffee I usually buy a 4 pack of Starbucks Light Vanilla Frappicino. I love to get them really cold in the fridge, because it is really hot in the Deep South where I live. Thanks for the chit chat! Many blessings!

2. Janelle S says:

I love coffee with flavored creamer, it might be so that I have a little bit of coffee with my creamer most mornings, but it’s more about the hot cup in my hands on a cool morning and the brewed aroma that wakes me up. I, too, can sip on a mug of coffee any time of day without much affecting me, but I try to limit myself {wink}.

I’m not one to sit still and read, it’s just not my forte, but when I do I’m probably reading a how-to book, my Bible/bible study workbook or inspiration from blogs that I follow.

Have a wonderful day, one sip at a time.
    Janelle S recently posted..Stampendous and Faber-Castell Blog Hop

3. Funny, I thought those questions sounded familiar. So interesting to hear your answers, and yes, I too am a dedicated tea and coffee drinker. I’m always reading at least one book and right now on my Kindle I’ve got a book going about Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s concept of seminary training. He’s one of my heroes of the faith, so, even tho’ I’ve never been to seminary, I want to know what he has to say about education in general.
    Blessings on your week!
    Michele Morin recently posted..Lonely on the Pinnacle of Truth

4. Lynn says:

Redeeming Love was one of my first Christian books I read, and first Francine Rivers. It is beautiful and I hope you have time this summer to read it! I love Home Magazines but struggle with the stacks after I have read them! So I just buy a few editions throughout the year. (Canadian ones as I live in Canada so their shopping guides are applicable)! Your coffee pictures make me want another of my home-brewed French Roast Starbucks this morning, with a tsp of sugar!

• Barbie says:

I think I’m going to have to read Redeeming Love real soon. And a homemade Starbucks? I should be making my own as much as I drink them. Have a blessed week Lynn!

5. Cathy says:

I’m not a coffee drinker. I’ve never really liked the taste, I know I’m odd. : ) If I go to Starbucks I usually get a non-coffee frap!

You must read Redeeming Love! It’s one of the most powerful fiction books I’ve ever read. (and I’ve read a lot of fiction) You will love it.

My favorite magazine is ‘Victoria classics’ garden edition. I wait for every spring. : )

God bless
    Cathy recently posted..What did Jesus mean by ‘the world?’

• Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Cathy. I also love the Shaken Passion Tea Lemonade at Starbucks, and normally get it half sweetened. Have a blessed week.

6. I read Redeeming Love several years ago, and it is my FAVORITE book. I love to read, so I read a lot of books, but it is still my favorite one of all. 🙂
    Tasha Medellin recently posted..You Are a Diamond

7. Barbie, I would love to sit down with you and have a cup of coffee. I like coffee with my cream too! Carmel macchiatos are my favorite. Relaxing in a hammock with an ocean view and good book sounds glorious! I’m still trying to finish One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.
    Hannah Bollinger recently posted..Monday Devotions: Cultivating Inner Beauty

• Barbie says:

We sound kindred Hannah! I had a hard time getting through Ann’s book. I think it’s her writing style, almost poetic and my brain just has to slow way down and take time to absorb. Have a blessed week!

8. Used to drink eighteen cups of coffee a day, until one day, far from the appropriate refuge, I learned exactly what irritable bowel syndrome was all about. Yes, I made it, so to speak…but it was a day I’ll never forget.

Jamaican Blue Mountain, at $35 per pound (then, and, I believe, now) was always my favorite, when I could afford it.

Books…I can’t NOT read, and when I finish this I will go into the next room, where my beloved ancient Pit Bull, Tammy, is resting quietly through what I suspect are her final days, and read to her from Martin Middlebrook’s “Arnhem, 1944 – The Airborne Battle”. She and her BFF, Chris ( a young yellow Lab) enjoy military history.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Your Dying Spouse 18 – Meltdowns

• Barbie says:

Wow, that’s a lot of coffee. I am so sorry to hear of your beloved Pitbull’s health. Thank you for faithfully coming here and joining in the community. I am blessed to know you!

9. I do love a really hot Vanilla or Spiced Chai Latte. Today I just had my French Vanilla Cream and some Decaf here at work. I have so many books on my Kindle and I just added more because they were free. LOL. This morning Charles Swindoll said to read the same book of the Bible for a month and I got to thinking I am going to do that with Psalm 119. I read a Chronological Bible, and next week we start Mended Heart. I am a fan of reading blogs too, like this one. Thanks for the Chit Chat. Blessings Diana
    Diana Rockwell recently posted..Psalm 119 W1D1

• Barbie says:

I cannot resist the free Kindle books. I really need to carve out time in the evenings to read, if even a chapter or two. I hope to be able to keep up with The Mended Heart. Hugs!

10. Hi Barbie! I love your blog color scheme. Very easy on the eyes (something I’m still working on ha ha). I am definitely a tea drinker! I have a stack of books that I have yet to read. I spend way too much time reading online instead. I think I need to start a nightly reading ritual 30 minutes before bed! 🙂
    Britny@Facing Sunshine recently posted..What I Learned in My First 6 Months of Blogging

• Barbie says:

Thanks for your comments on my blog design Britny. And now, I’m changing it all! Oh I think I need to read 30 minutes before bed too. I have so many books on my Kindle let alone on my shelves and I keep buying more!

11. Tara says:

A Caribou Mint Condition…yum!! Starbucks S’mores my friend Anna described “summer in a cup.” My fave drink in the summer is the Starbucks Refreshers. Love them!! I am reading “Orphan Train” at the moment.

• Barbie says:

I have not yet tried the S’mores frappe. I think I will have to do that real soon. Thanks for stopping by Tara.

12. Beth says:

It’s just so much fun to learn more about you. :))

I’m a year-round coffee drinker but never really switch to cold coffee . . . on occasion I will have one but mainly it’s hot french vanilla all the time. 🙂

I need to check out that magazine!

My go-to books these days are Shauna Niequists books. Working on Bittersweet at the moment.

Love you.
    Beth recently posted..{An} Old Oak Table

• Barbie says:

Can you believe I don’t think I own one of Shauna’s books? I will have to check but I know they are on my “must read” list.

13. Dot says:

I like my coffee black, in the summer if i make iced coffee it will have stevia and some cream. I like to read christian romances and Christmas stories, I do most of my reading when traveling in the car when my husband drives on the kindle reader, So it is not very often i read. I now have the pc kindle on my computer and that is how I read your book 31 days coffee with Jesus. I enjoyed it very much.
    God Bless

14. Carrie says:

I’m boring – I drink my coffee black. I know if I even tried a sample of creamer, I’d be hooked for life! But drinking it black enables me know what brands are smooth and satisfying, not bitter :). My favorite coffee actually came in a company care package to my husband’s old job years ago – Hawaiian chocolate!!!! Love your chit chats!

• Barbie says:

My son is a barista in a very “posh” coffee shop. He says I am totally taking the goodness out of the coffee by adding creamer. Well, perhaps someday I’ll drink it black. But for now, I will enjoy the sweetness.

15. I have a slight addiction to coffee (with peppermint mocha creamer) and herbal teas. I can drink coffee day or night and I either sleep or I don’t. I don’t think it has anyting to do with the coffee. I am a book reviewer and have an insane amount of books lined up. Usually reading 3-4 at once plus I love all of my Bible studies. This summer I am in 4 of them and it’s like I just can’t get enough of His word. Thanks for the chit chat. Blessings to you my friend ~
    Shannan Williams recently posted..Five Minute Friday – GIFT

• Barbie says:

I can barely keep up with the books that come to me via FlyBy! I think I speed read them. I use to love to sit and read and now my brain is just so full. I hope to make it a habit to read a little each day.