14 In Featured Guests

Remembering Your Cornerstone Stories // Share The Brew With Becky Keife

ShareTheBrewButton

I am thrilled to introduce you to Becky of Awaken To Wonder, although I am sure most of you already know her. I can’t remember where I first came across Becky and her beautiful heart spilled out through words, but I am so glad that I did. She speaks of beauty in real life and I always leave her blog feeling challenged in my day-to-day walk with the Lord. Be sure to visit Becky’s blog for more encouragement.

Clouds of white smoke billowed high, glowing orange against the black night sky. Mom pulled my hand in a frenzied dash across the street. I looked over my shoulder and saw Dad at the end of the driveway in his blue-checkered bathrobe wielding a green garden hose against the monstrous flames.

Safe inside the neighbor’s house, I clung to my favorite stuffed monkey that Mom raced back upstairs to save upon my desperate pleas. It was way past midnight but Mrs. Peterson brought us cups of hot chocolate. I sat between my sisters, searched my mug for mini marshmallows, and tried to count the staggering number of Scotty dog decorations instead of thinking about the fire.

Days later after the coals stopped smoldering, we walked through the scorched backyard where the garage used to stand—my great grandfather’s old workshop—ashes of memories. The wood fence was obliterated and I could see straight through to the yard next door. A yellow bucket lay 50 feet away in the driveway, melted from the inferno’s heat in wonky disarray.

I looked up and saw into my second story bedroom. Not through a window—straight through the wall that was no longer there. Back of the house burned right off.

I overheard Mom tell the fire inspector the story:

How she bolted upright from a deep sleep and walked straight to the window. How the flames’ reflection off the neighbor’s tin roof was so intense she thought it was their house that was ablaze. How she woke my dad and us girls just in time.

“Thank God no one was hurt,” she said.

Not even the five red hens in their back corner coop or our orange cat named Pumpkin.

I’m pretty sure Mom caught me listening and squeezed my four-year-old hand tight.

* * *

Now, nearly three decades later, it’s hard to know how much of this story is born from actual memory and how much is borrowed memoir from the retold anecdotes of others. Either way, it’s a real and vital part of my faith story.

The first cornerstone of my God-is-faithful foundation.

I look back on that fateful October night and relish of what one Psalmist wrote,

O Lord, you alone are my hope. I’ve trusted you, O Lord, from childhood. Yes, you have been with me from birth, from my mother’s womb you have cared for me. No wonder I am always praising you.
(Psalm 71:5-6)

Since that earliest memory at the tender age of four to today, I can recount significant milestones of God’s divine intervention and clear care for me.

The way God pursued me and kept me close to Him in high school in the midst of loose parental boundaries and countless opportunities to be enticed by the world’s wooing.

The way He orchestrated my college admissions and rejections not according to my own dreams or what test scores and GPAs should have directed, but according to His plan to grow my faith through a specific campus ministry.

The way our first house sold as a newly married couple despite a collapsing market and not playing by the “rules” the banks said we had to.

The way I paused long at a green arrow before seeing the raised pick up truck that came zooming from the darkness and straight through the red light—a trajectory that would have crushed the door where my newborn son slept in his car seat had I proceeded through my left turn when it was rightly my turn.

The way He arranged a ticket to a sold out blogger’s conference and the plane fare to get me there—a weekend across the country that would set in motion a whirlwind of new writing and meaningful relationships. The trigger for the last two years of God-did-this moments, too many to recount.

None of these events were as dramatic as God saving my family from a burning building. But each story is an essential stone in the foundation of my personal faith in Jesus.

Yet, I don’t often think about them.

To be honest, in writing this post I had to strain my memory to recall this many. I think it’s part of our fallen nature, this being so quick to forget.

But when I did take the time to stop and remember the great things God has done, how His protection has been a theme of love woven through time into the fabric of who I am, my heart was uplifted.

By recalling these beautiful examples of God’s continual care for me, my faith was encouraged. Strengthened.

Stones of Faith - BeckyKeife

[tweetthis]Every God-did-this moment is a stone of faith. @BeckyKeife #ShareTheBrew[/tweetthis]

I think this is why the Bible makes such a big deal about practices that help us remember. Under the Old Covenant it was building alters. When Jesus ushered in the New Covenant it was taking communion, giving thanks.

The same Psalmist who echoed God’s active presence in my life since childhood also reminded me that naming the personal cornerstones of my faith is not only for my benefit, but also for the benefit of others:

My life is an example for many, because you have been my strength and protection. That is why I can never stop praising you; I declare your glory all day long.
(Psalm 71:7-8)

* * *

Are you in the habit of remembering God’s faithfulness in your life? Share a cornerstone of your faith story in the comments below. I’d love to celebrate God’s goodness with you!

With joy,
Becky

BeckyKeifeBecky Keife is mama to three of the most spirited, dirt loving little boys the Good Lord ever made. She’s a passionate storyteller and loves encouraging women from an in-the-trenches perspective. She writes to slow time, give thanks, and awaken to God’s daily wonders and grace at www.beckykeife.com.  You can also find Becky on Instagram and Facebook.

~Karrilee~
    June 17, 2015 at 8:23 am

This is amazing, Becky! I love looking back and remembering all that God has done! He is always actively working things out for our good, but in the midst of it, sometimes it is so hard to see! Hindsight gives us the gift of clearer vision! Great post! I remember just days before my sister and I came to know the Lord, we miraculously escaped a car accident that could have killed us both. We both literally saw a huge hand reach down and felt a pushing of our car to get us safely out of the way. Direct Impact was unavoidable, but God!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..When Fear is No Longer the Boss of You… A Birthday Post.

Becky Keife
      June 17, 2015 at 11:06 am

The GIFT of clear vision. Yes, Karrilee! And what a beautiful and powerful God-Did-This moment you and your sister encountered. Wow. Gives me goose bumps! And he continues to reach down and into our lives every day. So many blessings! Thanks for sharing, friend.

Rachel Quigley
    June 17, 2015 at 9:05 am

I love to keep stones of remembrance marking the journey of His faithfulness. I have built quite a pile and He still shows me more through the living out of our days! This is a beautiful story of faithfulness. Thank you for sharing it with us! 🙂 (Stopping by from #TellHisStory)
    Rachel Quigley recently posted..When we can’t handle it all

Becky Keife
      June 17, 2015 at 11:07 am

Rachel, I LOVE that you collect actual stones! SO many reasons to remember God’s goodness and give thanks. Appreciate you visiting today!

Hannah Bollinger
    June 17, 2015 at 9:16 am

Becky, It’s nice to meet a beautiful soul with such amazing perspective! Thanks for sharing your story and what God has shown you through it all. It reminds me of the many things my little family reflects on during this month of June. This is the month my husband crashed on a motorcycle 12 years ago leaving him paralyzed, this is the month we got married 6 years ago, and this is also the month our miracle son was born 4 years ago. I praise God because He has been so faithful to us on this journey – it hasn’t always been easy, but we stand firmly on the unchanging promises of God and His forever goodness.

Many Blessings,
    Hannah
    Hannah Bollinger recently posted..Monday Devotions: Cultivating Inner Beauty

Becky Keife
      June 17, 2015 at 11:09 am

Wow, Hannah! What a God-Did-This STORY you are living. Surely He is and will use the testimony of His faithfulness to not only strengthen your faith but to touch many others. Thanks so much for connecting with me today and sharing. xoxo

Ginger Harrington
    June 17, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I’m so glad you and your family were safe. What a first memory. God has given you a beautiful perspective. He really does work in our lives in so many ways. Blessings!

Becky Keife
      June 17, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Thank you, Ginger. Indeed, He does! We can’t always see His fingerprints at the time, but what a joy to look back with clarity on His purposeful presence in our lives.

Elise
    June 17, 2015 at 9:10 pm

A thousand times amen and glory and beautiful!

I am so grateful to learn more about God’s protection and direction in your life! So encouraging!

A stone to stack on the huge mountain of evidence of God’s faithfulness in my life is when He allowed me to give up my comfortable home so I could follow Him in service and experience daily that He is my home and Comfort and shelter and protection this side of heaven.

I could list many more, but I’ll stop here and say I’m just so grateful for your witness, friend.

So grateful for you.

You make Him smile!

Becky Keife
      June 18, 2015 at 7:53 am

God’s fingerprints are ALL over your beautiful life, Elise! You follow Him boldly and He does BOLD things in and through you. It’s a JOY to walk this journey as heart sisters with you. SO so grateful for your constant encouragement. xoxo

Sarah Donegan
    June 20, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Oh Becky the fire must have been terrifying!
    I know there are many in my life, but the first one I thought of is about my blog. Sometimes I try and try to do something in my own power. Then God shows up and blows me away. I just need to get out of His way!

Becky Keife
      June 20, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Sarah, oh, how I know that feeling. Let go of our own striving and LET GOD. So glad to hear you have seen His power and faithfulness at work in your life through your blogging.

Lux Ganzon
    June 20, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Sometimes it’s hard for us to remember the good times but the bad times come in effortlessly, right? I think it’s a great practice to focus on the blessings in the past to condition our minds how blessed we are. And we will be always blessed.

Thanks for sharing and have a lovely Sunday.
    Lux Ganzon recently posted..Dogs Are Family, Not Food

Becky Keife
      June 22, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Lux, I think you are absolutely right. The more we give thanks for the work God has done, the more ready we will be to see and give thanks for what He is now doing and will yet do.