26 In Weekend Whispers

Summer Promises // The Weekend Brew

Every summer I look forward to the familiar that accompanies the season. I celebrate the customary sights, scents, feels and sounds that seem to show up.

• Outdoor barbecues
  • 5:00 AM wake up calls from the birds outside my window
  • the trickle of watermelon juice down my chin
  • brilliant sunrises and sunsets
  • skies so blue you can get lost in them
  • warmth of the sunshine kissing your skin with heat and color
  • a slow down of time
  • the length of days that extend longer, until Fall calls them back home

Just like the familiar summertime rituals, we find God’s promises to be true and constant. We count on summer to deliver the many things listed above and more. We anticipate each season to boldly bring these expected delights to fill our senses. We count on the promises of the season to return each year.

seasons and promises

God’s promises are found in His word and throughout scripture we are provided with story after story of promises being fulfilled. God spoke through the prophets, Jesus and His disciples of the many promises that He has for us. This gracious gift is ours to have everyday. God’s promises are true and constant as we read in 2 Samuel.

“God’s way is perfect.
All the Lord’s promises prove true.
He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.
(2 Samuel 22:31 NLT)

Just knowing that God has prepared our lives for us and fills it with the hope of His goodness, should be enough for us, but we move through a life of difficult challenges. In the middle of the chaos we question over and over – Where is God now? Where is the hope He has promised? How do we find the promises when life is consuming us from the inside out?

[tweetthis]Holding God’s truth in our heart will leave no room for doubt. @MaryGeisen #TheWeekendBrew[/tweetthis]

Just as summer begins, it can quickly fade into Fall. A season of hope may linger and it only takes one small glitch to turn it into helplessness. God’s promises are not just for the fair weather, sunny days but are there in the storms as well. Turning to the truth found in scripture will guide us back to hope. Holding the truth in our hearts will leave no room for doubt. Letting God’s promises become our hope will lead us through every season.

God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. 18 So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. 19 This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God’s inner sanctuary. (Hebrews 6:17-19)

As summer blooms with all the magic of the season and our hearts burst with the hope of all to come, we open our heart to God’s truth that will always be with us. God is our anchor and hope through all seasons.

As seasons come and go in your life, how do you grab the anchor of God’s promises?

Thank you for joining us at The Weekend Brew. We love hearing from you and reading your encouraging stories.

Cathy
    June 12, 2015 at 9:33 pm

“God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. 18 So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie.”

I’m going to think on this verse for awhile! What comfort in knowing God cannot lie. That His promises are always true.

Thanks for sharing : )
    Cathy recently posted..What did Jesus mean by ‘the world?’

June 13, 2015 at 9:40 am

I love God’s promises and the grace that is spoken in each one gives me the strength I need, especially on those days that everything goes wrong. God does not lie and His Word is truth. We are blessed to have that word to learn from and hold onto for all times. Have a blessed weekend!

Elizabeth
    June 12, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I am so thankful for the steadiness of God’s promises in the fair-weather seasons and the stormy seasons of life. The parable of the house built on the rock comes to mind. Our house will withstand whatever storms may come when we heed and obey God’s Word. God’s Word is so vital to our well being, in every season.
    Elizabeth recently posted..His voice…

June 13, 2015 at 9:42 am

You said it so well, Elizabeth – God’s word is so vital to our well being, in every season. It is there we find the truth and grace needed to carry on each day. Blessings to you this weekend!

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    June 12, 2015 at 10:58 pm

It would be easy to lose hope if I saw God’s promises as being made the way I might make them…in the temporal.

But I believe He sees our lives as something very different,.and that the healing I might want is really nothing in what y life will be, as a Work in Progress through eternity.

We can’t really see that, though we may try, and it’s so easy to follow the enthusiasm of the “come claim your miracle!” clergymen. Make a donation, and claim the miracle that will give you the opportunity to start your own business and drive a Ferrari.

What Christianity is really all about is an arrest and a trial and a whipping and death by torture…of an innocent man who took the hemlock for us.

Christianity is about the shredded brow, and the blood all spilled on the ground, and the empty tomb.

That’s the promise, and it already was fulfilled.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Your Dying Spouse 17 – New World (Five Minute Friday)

June 13, 2015 at 9:49 am

Amen to these words about Christianity. God has fulfilled His promise but as people here on Earth, God provides these temporal promises to give us strength and hope. I believe that the best part of our lives will be carried out in eternity when we are called home. Blessed you are here today Andrew sharing your beautiful insight with all of us.

Joanne Viola
    June 13, 2015 at 4:04 am

Mary, I thought on the question you asked for a bit 🙂 I grab onto the anchor of God’s Word with expectancy. As I open my Bible to read, I pray, asking Him to speak to me through His Word. I find the very words to be the anchor He throws to me that day and receive hope and encouragement for the day. Loved this reminder >”God is our anchor and hope through all seasons”. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..5: Of Summer, Faith & Laughter

June 13, 2015 at 10:06 am

Thank you Joanne for your sweet words. I love how you lean into God with expectancy because the hope that comes with that is our strength for each day. God’s word is one big promise that can be our anchor when we accept and embrace the truths that He is teaching. Blessed by your thoughts today.

Constance Morrison
    June 13, 2015 at 7:53 am

I am thinking about those verses in Hebrews: It’s impossible for God to lie. He never changes his mind. He’s not only willing to keep His promises–he is able. In a changing world, I need to hold onto the unchanging character of God
    Constance Morrison recently posted..GPS and Squirrels’ Ears

June 13, 2015 at 10:08 am

In our changing world full of unpredictability, it is a blessing to know that God is the same today, tomorrow and yesterday. I will be holding onto the constancy of God with you. Blessed you are here today.

Julie Lefebure
    June 13, 2015 at 8:26 am

I’m thankful God’s promises are my hope that guide me through every season of life. I cling to them daily, and appreciate how you pointed us back to them in this beautiful post, Mary. God bless you in this new season of your life. I’m praying for you today. Much love!
    Julie Lefebure recently posted..Five Minute Friday – World

June 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

I am honored that you will pray for me. I love all the seasons, which is one of the reasons that living in the Midwest is such a treasure. The changing seasons is how we go through life, but the promise that God will be with us always is what keeps us going. Hope your weekend is blessed!

Wanda
    June 13, 2015 at 10:22 am

The summer season does offer us so many beautiful things to behold and how fun it is to to get out and enjoy it. Just as each season has beauty in it, God’s Word carries us through every season of our lives. Some season it’s much easier to see his hand but reading and rehearsing his words keeps us reminded of his promises and well as His faithfulness throughout the years.
    Wanda recently posted..Hidden Things

June 13, 2015 at 11:12 am

Knowing and trusting God’s word also lead us through each day. It does take reading and rehearsing the word to learn God’s promises, but then we have His word to carry with us as we move through each season. I am blessed that you are here today and I appreciate your sweet words. Have a blessed weekend.

Michele Morin
    June 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm

After the eternity that was called the winter of 2015, I’m finding myself having to remember things about summer —
    Oh, yes, I forgot to bring my hat.
    Hmm, I wore long sleeves last year when I was mowing the lawn.
    MMM . . . fresh peaches!
    I’m afraid that my heart does the same thing with God’s promises and His love. I have to remember my way into them sometimes. As you said, the prophets and the apostles have spoken, but when it’s been winter for a long time, we do forget the warmth.
    Blessings on your weekend, and thanks for your always-warm welcome here.
    Michele Morin recently posted..Rounding Out the Narrative

June 14, 2015 at 7:30 am

Great perspective Michele! Sometimes the seasons of our lives seem to go on forever and when we finally move into a new season we forget the good that can be ours. God promised all of that goodness for us, but the hard part is finding it even in the seasons of life that seem to have no end and are full of challenges. Sunday blessings!

Kelly @RaisingSamuels
    June 13, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I love how you shared scripture on God’s promises for us. It is the hardest thing waiting on an answer from God, but I know He always has the best thing planned for us during that wait. Thanks for sharing, and for hosting.
    Kelly @RaisingSamuels recently posted..Willie Out West by: Rhonda Walker (Book Review)

June 14, 2015 at 7:32 am

Thank you for blessing me with your sweet words. I have never been good at waiting but that is exactly where I find myself in this season of my life. The thing that keeps me going are God’s promises and the expectancy that there is more good to come. Happy Sunday!

Laurie Collett
    June 13, 2015 at 6:13 pm

You have so perfectly captured the essence of summer! Praise God for the order and pattern He has placed in our lives. Praise God that He is unchanging and faithful! Thank you for the beautiful post and for hosting — God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..A Time to Plant

June 14, 2015 at 7:33 am

I love seeing you here each week Laurie! God’s constancy is something we can count on and in this messy world that seems to change in the blink of an eye it is a beautiful promise for each of us to hold onto. Sunday blessings!

June
    June 14, 2015 at 9:33 am

The anchor of God’s promises is always His word for me, Mary. During some very dark times, just holding my Bible close was all I could do, but it was enough. Great reminder, seasons and circumstances will change, but the Word of the Lord stands firm forever. Have a blessed week, my friend!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . butterfly clouds

June 14, 2015 at 4:10 pm

I love how just holding your Bible close can bring you comfort in dark times. It gives a special meaning to holding God’s word close. God’s anchor can mean many things for many people but the constant for me is also His word. Blessed to see you here and for your sweet words.

Mindy
    June 14, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I am learning to give thanks IN all things, not necessarily for all things. God can take anything, even things meant for evil, in our lives and bring good from them. I just need to trust in Him and rest in His promises. Sometimes I do a good job, other times it takes me longer…
    Mindy recently posted..A Simple Saturday

June 14, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Thank you for making it real by sharing that sometimes it takes you longer to fully rest in God’s promises.That would be me too. Hope your week is blessed and thank you for being here.

Betsy
    June 15, 2015 at 3:49 am

I’m praising God with you today for His Word, Mary. It brings hope and wisdom. It renews our minds and strengthens us.
    Betsy recently posted..Summer Reading for your Soul {Plus an Opportunity}

June 16, 2015 at 10:32 am

I am thanking God that you are part of this beautiful community. Your words are always so encouraging! Hope your week is blessed!