28 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Hope // Five Minute Friday

Hope.

I’ve had moments of such lack of hope that it felt like I might faint.

There are times in our lives when hope is deferred — delayed, sat on a shelf, not yet realized — you get the picture. The hope that we are supposed to be clinging to takes too much strength to hold onto, so we let go.

[tweetthis]When we loosen our grip on hope, our hearts sicken under the weight of what may never be. #fmfparty[/tweetthis]

In my own seasons of hope deferred, I sometimes forget that there is a promise weaved among the frailty of a hopeless and sick heart.  And that is the promise of a loving and attentive God who desires to fulfill the longings of my heart.

Not longings for fame or fortune.

Not longings for restored relationships.

Not longings for better circumstances.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.
(Proverbs 13:12)

The very thing my heart had been longing for was to be filled by Him.

[tweetthis]Jesus is the longing fulfilled which brings forth the tree of life. #fmfparty[/tweetthis]

This life breathes hope to a weak and sickened heart.

I’ve spent long seasons in the camp of hope deferred. Yet even in that place, I was fully aware of the longing of my heart to be filled with more of God.

*Today it’s a joy to link up with the beautiful community of Five Minute Friday writers. This is where we share for just 5 minutes on a one-word prompt. No heavy editing, no worrying about perfection. Today’s word is “hope”.  Come join us!

Elizabeth
    July 9, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Hope deferred is an unwelcome guest I’m well acquainted with. I understand, friend.
    Elizabeth recently posted..My Mama, the artist…

July 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by Elizabeth. I’ve missed reading my favorite blogs regularly. I hope to get back into a groove here soon.

jenn
    July 10, 2015 at 2:45 am

So sweet. So simple. This was a lovely post! Thanks for the encouraging words and Tweetables! Jenn, FMF
    p.s. If you’re at the retreat will you teach me how to do Tweetables!? 😉

July 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I won’t be at the retreat. If you want to send me an email I can respond and show you how. I use the “Click to Tweet” plugin. It’s pretty self explanatory.

denise
    July 10, 2015 at 2:51 am

Great post.

July 11, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Denise!

Leah Adams
    July 10, 2015 at 3:04 am

Hope deferred, but not forever. Seasons do change, and I’m so grateful for that. I love the new look of your blog. It is fresh and simple! Wonderful. Stopping in from #FMFparty.
    Leah Adams recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Hope

July 11, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Thank you so much Leah. I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time.

patricia Storbeck
    July 10, 2015 at 4:25 am

Hi, it’s been a long while since I’ve visited Barbie. Don’t we all defer hope. Tragic really. Thinking of all the things I’ve deferred. And now I can never get those things back. Little things like a deferred hug to my daughter….because I was doing laundry. She died eight years ago….
    I’m sending a virtual hug to you. All the way from a hot sultry afternoon in Sicily.
    Patricia
    patricia Storbeck recently posted..Hopeless Romantic in Love with Gelato

July 11, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Patricia, thank you for stopping by. First, I am so sorry about the loss of your daughter. I cannot imagine. But yes, we need to stop deferring things, especially where the people in our lives are concerned. I am thankful to have found your blog.

Amy P Boyd
    July 10, 2015 at 6:27 am

I too have spent time in the hope deferred camp. I pray that I always remember He is my true hope. Thanks for the reminder.
    Amy P Boyd recently posted..Where Is My Hope ?

July 11, 2015 at 8:51 pm

God alone is our hope. May we always keep that in front of us!

Carrie
    July 10, 2015 at 7:13 am

I love that verse that you’ve shared today. Like you, I’ve also been there where I let hope go for a bit. I am thankful for a God who gently reminds me that I do not need to give up. Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Carrie
    Carrie recently posted..Hope for the Days Ahead

July 11, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Thank you for stopping by Carrie! And congratulations on another boy! Your family is beautiful and growing!

Tara
    July 10, 2015 at 7:45 am

Hope deferred! We have a way of doing that don’t we? I’m thankful God doesn’t defer our hope but is always able to find a way to bring it about.

July 11, 2015 at 8:52 pm

AMEN Tara! Thanks for stopping by!

Colleen
    July 10, 2015 at 8:51 am

Truthfully? I can recognize it in your voice (hope deferred) because I’m one who’s walked that walk, too. How grateful I am that just when it seems all hope is lost, God breathes and ignites hope again. He is faithful. He is. And I’m so very thankful.
    Many blessings to you, my new blogging friend! Here from FMF, my second, #10.

July 11, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Coleen! I too am thankful for a God who always reignites our hope.

Joy Lenton
    July 10, 2015 at 11:56 am

Barbie, sometimes we can barely register those things which our soul truly longs for. Dreams and desires can become polluted by worldly ‘less than’ things which seem greater but are really empty promises, just as you describe. To finally wake up to the reality that our hearts are in tune with God’s desires for us is a huge step forward in seeing hope in apparently hopeless circumstances. Thank you for this insightful word. Blessings, Joy. Xx
    Joy Lenton recently posted..Holding on to hope in an uncertain world

July 11, 2015 at 8:55 pm

I do believe the world gives me a false sense of what to hope for. I want God’s reality for me, not the reality of others. I am thankful that even when I feel hopeless, that hope abounds still more and more. Thanks for stopping by Joy!

Amy M
    July 10, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I’ve definitely been in seasons of hope deferred. Often just refocusing and remembering Who all of my hopes come from starts to fill that longing. What a good reminder.
    Amy M recently posted..That Thing With Feathers

July 11, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for stopping by Amy!

Betsy
    July 11, 2015 at 1:28 am

As I read your post and also the comments, I think we’ve all spent time–lots of it!–in the Hope Deferred Camp. I never connected Jesus to our longing fulfilled though. That is beautiful.
    Betsy recently posted..Why We Can Hang onto Hope in a Hopeless World

July 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Betsy. I am no scholar, but since the scripture refers to “the longing fulfilled” as the tree of life, who other than Jesus is the tree of life? Well, that’s my interpretation anyways. I love when you stop by. Have a blessed week.

Amy Jung
    July 11, 2015 at 7:06 am

Hope deferred…Oh it does make my heart sick…but keeps me longing for more of Jesus. I love your thoughts on hope…this is something we can all relate to. I pray that the Lord is bringing through seasons of hope deferred…closer to hope realized…and that you can sense it!

July 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Thank you Amy! I believe what I long for is just around the corner. I am hopeful.

Carrie
    July 12, 2015 at 9:32 am

Oh, Friend. He truly makes us strong in our weakness. My wish is for you to see yourself as I see you: faithful and seeking The Lord with a beautiful, open spirit! Thank you for always sharing your heart honestly and freely! Your words continue to bless! Hugs!
    Carrie recently posted..Blog Coming July 2015!

Tasha Medellin
    July 13, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Beautiful post, Barbie! 🙂
    Tasha Medellin recently posted..New Places in Praise :: Week 10 :: You Were Created for Encounter With God