40 In Weekend Whispers

Of Whispers, Worship & Wanderings // The Weekend Brew

WWWtagline

Seasons change, but I’m learning that change is necessary if we are to grow. The butterfly would not have been if it stayed inside the cocoon and decided it was easier to be a caterpillar. We will never be all that God desires us to be if we choose to remain the same and allow ourselves to be unchanged by life’s circumstances. God has intricately designed each season for a purpose. We can’t always see His hand, but we can rest assured that He is always with us.

I have been writing in this space for 7 years. That’s like a life time for some bloggers. It’s been an exciting journey and I’ve been blessed to meet so many beautiful hearts on line who I am honored to call friends.  But it’s also been a hard journey, one of pouring forth from an aching heart and yet still trying to hide the raw and real parts of me that fear exposure.

I’ve been through countless blog designs and each one fit a different season of my journey. Just when I became comfortable with a beautiful new space, God whispered to my heart to pull back. And in that season of pulling back, it became harder to write. No matter how much I tried, the words would not come. And soon, I found myself lacking the desire to write altogether, but missing it tremendously at the same time.

What came out of a season of stillness was a desire to simplify this space, one where the whispers of God would be heard loudly, where words are offered as worship by a heart that desires to be fully His, and where the wandering heart could come and find strength, comfort and encouragement.  So I went with what I was sensing and created the new tagline, without really fully understanding His leading.

And then He whispered loudly,
“Lean in, look up and let go”.

Finally, it was all starting to come together.

Lean In

[tweetthis]I must lean in close to hear the whispers of His voice. #TheWeekendBrew[/tweetthis]

As He has faithfully led me through this hard season, I have had to lean in hard to hear His voice. What I’ve learned is that His whispers are the loudest, and we have to get close if we are going to hear.  I don’t want to miss what He is saying.  The still small voice of God will meet my heart like a pounding thunder if I have ears to hear.

Look Up

[tweetthis]My words are an act of worship poured forth form a heart that yearns to be fully His. #TheWeekendBrew[/tweetthis]

I do not know when the words will begin to flow more regularly again, but these times are in His hands, and this space is dedicated to Him. It’s not about growing a blog, or writing better. It’s not about whether or not I will ever self-publish another book, or how many Tweets I post in a day. It’s not about the number of comments I receive. This space must continue to be a reflection of my heart before the Lord first. And I hope that it will continue to be a place where you will find hope, strength and encouragement on your own journey.

Let Go

[tweetthis]Lord, bind my wandering heart to Thee! #TheWeekendBrew[/tweetthis]

I will admit that I’ve been struggling, both openly and privately with many things, and the truth of the matter is, I am prone to wander. I get off track, fall off the wagon, turn and run the other way — away from God, instead of into His arms where I need to be. But even though I wander, I’m on a journey from place to place. He is taking hold of my hand and leading this broken, tattered and torn little girl into the next glorious season. My heart is continually being molded and shaped into His image and likeness, and the process is painful at times.

This portion of the hymn, “Come, Thou Font of Every Blessing” sums it up so perfectly.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

I don’t know about you, but I want the Living God to take my heart — my sinful, weak and wandering heart — and seal it to His. My heart aches just thinking of how deep my desire is to continually walk the straight and narrow — in word, deed, and thought. It’s time for me to let go — to stop trying to be someone I’m not, to stop comparing myself to others, and to stop covering up my sin with excuses of a hard life. It’s time to allow God to do a new work in my heart and spirit.

Whispers, Worship & Wanderings…

Leaning in to hear the whispers of God.

Looking up, fixing my gaze on heaven and presenting all that I am and have as an act of worship.

Letting go of the need to be perfect.

My prayer is that God would come and have His way in me, that He would be glorified, and that you would continue to be encouraged along the way.

*There will be  change coming to our link up, The Weekend Brew. But it’s a good change and I’m excited about it. I will share more next week so stay tuned!

I am so thankful you stopped by The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a an encouraging post, photo or scripture.
2. Grab the button to use in your post or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Elizabeth
    August 1, 2015 at 12:11 am

Both of us wrote about change this week. I love your three points, lean in, look up, let go. I needed this. Love and appreciate you much, Barbie!
    Elizabeth recently posted..A new thing…

August 1, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I’m looking forward to reading Elizabeth!

Theresnoplacelike Home
    August 1, 2015 at 2:13 am

Hello Barbie, What a beautiful and encouraging post. As we continue to go through seasons of change, “we will never be all that God desires if we chose to remain the same.” I love this! Seasons are an opportunity for growth, and we can either be opportunists or naysayers in the process. I’m encouraged to lean in ever so close that I too can hear His voice like a thunder. Blessings.

August 1, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by. You are so right in that we can choose how we react to change. Have a blessed Sunday!

Rachelle
    August 1, 2015 at 4:12 am

Wow! I feel like this could have been written for me. 🙂

Very touching and beautifully written. Thank you for your transparency Barbie. 🙂 ❤ I truly enjoy your blog.

Yes, you are loved and appreciated!

August 1, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I am so thankful this post touched you Rachelle. I am so blessed by your visit.

Mary
    August 1, 2015 at 4:18 am

Barbie…these words, so beautifully written, could have been written by me. I have struggled to much the last 14-16 months to write anything. When I think I should just close up shop, something happens to make me believe that the Lord doesn’t want me to stop writing on my blog. I love your “lean in, look up, let go” theme. Isn’t that the answer to all of life’s problems? Have you pre-ordered Kristen Strong’s book Girl Meets Change? I received an Advance Reader Copy…this book is SOOOO good. You should check it out! It has really spoken to me. http://amzn.to/1VSZ1yG
    Mary recently posted..The beauty of His presence….

August 1, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Oh Mary, I now your struggle. So many times I thought I was done writing, but God simply just wanted me to let go and allow Him to lead me. Sometimes I want to get ahead, for fear I will be left behind. I am thankful you are still writing. You are a blessing!

Shelby
    August 1, 2015 at 4:35 am

Barbie, you wrote my heart. (and you used one of my favorite hymns!) Thank you.
    Shelby recently posted..What Story Makes You YOU?

August 1, 2015 at 10:06 pm

So thankful you were blessed Shelby!

Michele Morin
    August 1, 2015 at 5:33 am

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it. . .
    So often I sing this prayer — or pray this song– and am grateful for His mercy that leads me back to His love.
    Thank you for your words, today.
    Happy August!
    Michele Morin recently posted..Persuasion: Raising Questions and Opening Doors

August 1, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Thank you for blessing me with your presence and your words Michele!

bluecottonmemory
    August 1, 2015 at 6:40 am

You are so right about our blogs – I’ve been doing this for 6 years – and it’s not about creating a book, building fame and readership. It’s about God in our lives and telling the stories He gives us – and it’s not a 3X, 2X or even a 1X a week schedule – it’s our publisher’s (God’s) schedule. There’s lots of change in my life, too – but then, there has always been change. Blessings to you in this journey and comfort in these changes!

August 1, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Thank you so much my friend. You encouraged me greatly.

Tara
    August 1, 2015 at 8:33 am

Barbie, loved this post! And that hymn is one of my time favorites!

August 1, 2015 at 10:07 pm

So glad you like the post Tara. I’ve been singing the hymn all week.

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    August 1, 2015 at 10:26 am

I don’t want to stop writing my blog…but sometimes it takes a lot out of me, both physically and emotionally. Writing about the ‘long goodbye’ from the perspective of a terminally ill spouse…if God weren’t here, encouraging me (and sometimes giving me a spiritual boot up the bum) it would be almost impossible.

Thatnks for a lovely, endearing post today. You write so well!
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Your Dying Spouse 37 – Try To Remember {Five Minute Friday}

August 1, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Andrew, you continually bless me. I cannot imagine the weight of all that you carry. But your attitude, even when you are feeling week, is one of trust in Your Maker. I continue to pray for you.

Dawn
    August 1, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Lean in, look up and let go… I love it, Barbie!

The more we lean into His embrace, the farther away our troubles seem. The more we look up to Him, the smaller our issues become. With every surrender we let go into His capable hands, the clearer His grace becomes to us.

Praying you will continue to find His grace in every moment and freedom as you lean, look and let God be God. Your words are always an inspiration.
    Blessings,
    Dawn
    Dawn recently posted..When Grace Pours Out-{Warrior Heart Series}

August 1, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Yes Dawn! Your comment blessed me greatly!

Karen Del Tatto
    August 1, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Barbie, The words of this post touched me very personally. It was like you saw into my life, my struggles and my feelings and spoke them.

I have only been blogging since January, and just earlier today I said to my husband, “I have no idea what I’m blogging about for this week!” This happens to me almost every week, and then, without fail, the Lord provides His Words and “writes” the post for me.

But… it seems since I began blogging, my sin nature has actually gotten worse as far as my attitudes and thought life. Satan whispers in my ear, “You are a hypocrite writing these things. You aren’t worthy to represent God.”

Your post reminds me that the only whisperings I should listen to are those of the still small voice of God; to remember I am writing for God’s Glory and His alone; to allow Him to continue to write through me; and to persevere in this calling. 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

August 1, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Karen, I know and understand your struggle. If I can encourage you at all is to keep your eyes on Jesus. Do not compare yourself to others. You have a unique gifting and call and God will work it out in you. Just be obedient. I am here to encourage you!

~ linda
    August 1, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Oh, “Come Thou Fount…” is one of my favorite hymns and am singing it right now…will be for a while!
    The beautiful points here fit my needs so very well. I need them too. I have been blessed. Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Peter’s Greetings

August 1, 2015 at 10:13 pm

I’ve been singing it for a while now Linda! Blessings!

Larri
    August 1, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Love this post, Barbie!
    Leaning in and letting go here, too.
    Always looking up while looking forward to new beginnings.
    Love how you share your heart, friend.
    Larri recently posted..Y’all, I Think I’m Done

August 1, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Thank you Larri. I left a comment over at your space.

Lori Schumaker
    August 1, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Thank you, Barbie! Again, you spoke as though it were coming right from my heart. I’m new to blogging as more than a byside hobby. I struggle with all that you mentioned. I just want to be obedient. I just want to share the love of Jesus and that which He puts on my heart. But yet there is so much more to it. How do I balance it and how, oh how, do I stop comparing myself to other bloggers?! (and then coming to the conclusion that I just don’t have “it”!) Whew!
    I just have to tell you … I would treasure the opportunity to sit under your mentorship around a kitchen table! As for now, I am simply thankful to get to taste a bit each week. I am excited to see the changes. I know they will be beautiful! I will be praying for you and for that peace that transcends all understanding!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori
    Lori Schumaker recently posted..Surrendering It All for a God-Sized Restoration

August 1, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Lori, I am so honored by your visit today. I’ve been there once, a newbie, and I still have so far to go. I am here for you. If you ever need encouragement or anything by way of blogging, I will share what I’ve learned. Keep going. You’re doing well. Hugs!

Holly Barrett
    August 2, 2015 at 3:16 am

That’s one of my favorite hymns too, Barbie…as I am prone to wander as well. Thanks for your encouragement to lean in and listen, to worship, and to acknowledge the times of wandering. It is in those times I think we may get to know Him best. Looking forward to hearing about the changes in The Weekend Brew!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..The Power of a Biblical Story {Summer Blog Tour}

August 3, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Thank you so much Holly. It’s a joy to have you here.

Amy Jung
    August 2, 2015 at 4:40 am

I love your three points…perhaps the Lord is not only calling you to these things but also the rest of us! Blessings as you lean in, look up and let go!
    Amy Jung recently posted..One Thing Sure to Strengthen & Comfort You

August 3, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Thankful for you Amy. Have a blessed week.

Hannah Bollinger
    August 2, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Your honest heart is a beautiful thing, Barbie! Thanks for sharing the things God is whispering to you as you lean in, look up, and let go. I’m right there with you.
    Hannah Bollinger recently posted..Homesick for Heaven

August 3, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Thank you Hannah! Have a beautiful week.

Lea
    August 2, 2015 at 5:48 pm

What a beautiful and heartfelt entry Barbie, always inspiring others with your words. Blessings abundant!
    Lea recently posted..Wednesday Hodgepoedge

August 3, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lea!

Sandy KS
    August 2, 2015 at 6:33 pm

I pray every night that God helps me hold my tongue. As there are some things I wish I good but shouldn’t. As it will offend someone. Something i don’t wish to do.
    Sandy KS recently posted..Ice Treat Recipe For Dogs

August 3, 2015 at 9:46 pm

God knows your heart Sandy. Praying you will sense His nearness and feel His strength.

Brenda
    August 3, 2015 at 6:40 am

Barbie, this is beautiful.
    I love the tagline. “Lean in, Look up, Let go.”
    My heart says amen.
    ((Hug))
    Brenda recently posted..Worthy Sacrifices of Ordinary Days

August 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Brenda!