20 In Weekend Whispers

Rhythm Of The Word // The Weekend Brew

Welcome to my weekend home away from home. Every other weekend I am blessed to hang out here with Barbie and share some words. It is one of my favorite things to do because of all of you. Today I am continuing to look at the rhythms in my life specifically the rhythm of the word. If you missed the other two posts about the 4 W’s click here and here.

God has a claim on my life and has since 2005. In that moment that I became His, I also was given God’s grace and love to share with others. In my new walk with God, my eyes were opened to learning how to be His child and I found the life lessons I needed in His Word. As a child growing up, I went to a structured and ritualistic church. The Bible was never promoted as a book that should be read, reflected on and a place to renew your mind. I missed out on one of the greatest gifts that we have as children of God.

rhythm of the word

Since my journey began in 2005, I have made time to read the Bible in its entirety, participated in many Bible studies with some amazing women, tried to understand these words that were written for all of us on my own and just tried to make it a daily habit. This past year has not been one of great success when it comes to daily reading in the word and as I have been exploring rhythms, I have scrutinized why I can’t seem to grasp the rhythm of the word.

[tweetthis]God calls us to breathe in His word, connect to it and embrace the truths as our own. @MaryGeisen #TheWeekendBrew[/tweetthis]

One verse has popped up more often in the last 6 months than any other and I am learning God has a specific reason why I need this verse right now in my life. Matthew 14:29 is best read within context and it is teaching me, giving me a chance to pause for continued reflection and renewing my mind as I look to the future.

But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said.Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” (Matthew 14:27-31)

Throughout these last months as this verse popped up over and over, God whispered, “I am not finished with you yet”. You see I have not taken that full step out of the boat. I am only dipping my toe in the water. God is teaching me that to fall into the rhythm of the word I must…

Go deeper and not wider

Look at a highlighted verse over and over

God has more to teach us when a verse returns over and over in your life. He is not finished with us and that verse needs more time to become part of who we are becoming.

Take time to stay in God’s word as you seek the rhythm of the word

Continue the habit of soaking in God’s word according to your schedule. No one says you must follow a particular plan or schedule. God cherishes the time we spend with Him in His word.

Connect with God’s word to deepen your relationship with God. Breathe in His word and allow it to fill you for this time and place in your life. Embrace the truth that you find in the word and use it in your daily life.

How do you let God’s word teach you, fill you and become yours? Are there any verses that return over and over that God has chosen for you because He is not finished with you yet?

I am so thankful to have you here at The Weekend Brew!

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a an encouraging post, photo or scripture.
2. Grab the button to use in your post or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Terri Presser
    July 24, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Thank you so much for hosting. Thank you also for the steps to study God’s word. Have a great weekend. Blessings
    Terri Presser recently posted..GOOD MORNING MONDAYS #40

Mary Geisen
      July 25, 2015 at 5:57 pm

You are welcome! It is my pleasure to host every other weekend and I am blessed that Barbie invites me in to do this. I am praying that we all find our own rhythm of the word. Blessings!

Joanne Viola
    July 25, 2015 at 3:54 am

Wonderful post, Mary. You are so right – God does call each of us to breathe in His Word on our own, embracing His truths as our own. May His Word come to life each time we read it as His Word to US. Have a great weekend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..It’s All About Parenting

Mary Geisen
      July 25, 2015 at 6:02 pm

I love how you state “may His word come to life each time we read it as His word to US”. Beautiful! We are each unique so it makes sense to develop our own rhythms. It is important that we always work towards these rhythms. Thankful that you join us here each weekend and share your own wisdom.

Beth Willis miller
    July 25, 2015 at 5:17 am

Mary, I love this series and this post, especially this quote, “Take the time to not only learn the verse but understand why this verse, for this time in your life. Allow yourself to let it fill you, become you and teach you.” I have found that to be true in my life…as I focus on word studies, the depth and breadth of a single word just opens and enlightens my heart ❤️
    Beth Willis miller recently posted..righteousness…Jesus paid it all…

Mary Geisen
      July 25, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Beth-These words mean so much coming from you because your words teach me every week. I love how God can take a word or one small idea and teach us a complete lesson. Thank you for being here and encouraging me. It is such a beautiful gift.

Michele Morin
    July 25, 2015 at 7:20 am

Mary, your words resonate for me because I have tried living “the Christian life” apart from a desperate attachment to God’s Word, and I see the difference in living color. We need His Words the way we need our next breath, because it is only His oxygen that will keep us alive on this planet. Thank you for your story of faithfulness — and desperation!
    Michele Morin recently posted..One Metaphor Is Not Enough

Mary Geisen
      July 25, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I do convey a sense of desperation don’t I? God has so much to still teach me and I have so much work to do to learn the lessons that I need. The beautiful thing is that He is never finished with me and has the patience to stick with me. I am so glad you join us here each week and add to the conversation. It is such a blessing!

Linda Stoll
    July 25, 2015 at 10:49 am

Thanks for sharing a bit of your spiritual journey, Mary. I really resonated with your encouragement not to feel obligated to rigidly follow a schedule or a plan. It’s all about the love relationship, isn’t it …

And how cool that we both went to that chapter in Matthew with our writing this weekend!

I love when God does that … what a treat!

Sabbath joys to you, friend!
    Linda Stoll recently posted..Got About 9 Minutes This Weekend?

Mary Geisen
      July 25, 2015 at 6:16 pm

God has connected our hearts in a beautiful way this season Linda. This has been happening more frequently. God has similar things to teach us!

I feel a sense of freedom in knowing that I need to stay in God’s word but He is not asking me to do it in the same way that everyone else does. He knows me so well. Blessed by your presence and encouragement.

July 25, 2015 at 9:40 pm

It’s so important to find our rhythm in the Word of God. I often feel off balance and this season has by far been so much more challenging for me. I love that God continues to remind me that I need Him. Hugs!

Mary Geisen
      July 26, 2015 at 6:11 pm

God works through us even when challenges are present. He loves when we take the time to be present with Him and during those difficult seasons He just cherishes that time. Thank you for being so transparent Barbie! Love you girl!

Beth
    July 26, 2015 at 5:04 am

Love you both so much and always touched by how you partner together for The Weekend Brew. Great words here today, Mary. Bible Study Fellowship made such an impact for me in helping me to find a rhythm of His word. It transformed how I spend with in His Word and with Him which lead to continuous transforming of my heart. He is so good. Much love. xoxo
    Beth recently posted..A peek inside our wedding album

Mary Geisen
      July 26, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I know you have talked very highly of Bible Study Fellowship and it sounds like something I would like to try in the future. However we study and read God’s Word is unique to each of us but I know we are pleasing God greatly when we make this an important part of our lives. Thank you for being here and joining in the conversation Beth. Hugs and love!

Beth
    July 26, 2015 at 11:43 am

How do I teach me, fill me, become mine? Well, there are so many ways. One way that really helps me to remember to apply what I’ve learned earlier in my Bible reading all throughout my day. I keep reminders of what that thought is in various obvious places that I walk by or look at, Mary. It truly is like a little nudge from the Lord to remember He is with me and wants to speak to me all day long. Thanks for your genuine heart to know God and to challenge the rest of us to do the same. Thanks for the linkup too–to both you and Barbie!

Mary Geisen
      July 26, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I actually have a habit of posting bible verses on my bathroom mirror. There is something about seeing them frequently that makes a difference. I also find that God is very good at reminding us of words that we need just when we need them. It might be through the daily Bible verse, a friend or someone elses blog, but the presence of God always shines through. Great ideas Beth! I love seeing you here! Hugs my friend!

Laurie Collett
    July 26, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Wonderful post, Mary! It is amazing how God brings verses to us over and over to highlight areas He wants us to focus on — this week, for me it has been Hebrews 11:1, which has also been a recurring theme for many years. Thanks for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Who Needs the Law?

Mary Geisen
      July 27, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I am so glad you shared the verse from Hebrews because it gives a beautiful description of faith. I also love how God shares particular verses with us over and over and I know for me it’s because He has so much more to teach me. Thank you for being such a wonderful member of the weekend community. We love seeing you here each week.

Brenda
    July 28, 2015 at 7:14 am

Mary, I’ve been on the “deeper not wider” plan myself lately, and I love it.
    Sometimes I go wider too, but in the past, it’s been so easy to mentally discount those shorter readings. But, this year, I’m just plugging along, making great progress in His word, by not succumbing to the (internal) pressure to read “enough.” Sometimes one section is enough. I slow down and notice the scenery, the little details…God meets me there. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing this. 🙂

Mary Geisen
      July 28, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Thank you for sweet words affirming my wider not deeper dive into the Word. I am learning so much more by not tying myself to a certain plan that could very possibly overwhelm me. I love how you say that you slow down and notice the scenery. That is good stuff when God meets you right where you are. So blessed you stopped by today.