19 In Weekend Whispers

Rhythm of Welcome // The Weekend Brew

Two weeks ago, I hung out with all of you here at The Weekend Brew and I wrote about Life’s Rhythms. Read more here. Since then during my devotion time, my reading and whenever I least expect it, God is speaking to me through His word or others to grab hold of these rhythms and learn more about them.

[tweetthis]When we welcome God, He centers us and in the centering we become His. @MaryGeisen #TheWeekendBrew[/tweetthis]

Today as I reflect and rest from the world’s busyness, I hear God telling me that the rhythm of welcome is needed. Welcome is one of the four W’s that I said I am striving for in my life. The others are the Word, Worship and Well-Being. When I described welcome, I said,

“It is opening my heart to God’s whispers and calling. It is welcoming in newness and letting God guide my heart and my life. When we welcome God, He centers us and in the centering we become His. I am also learning to welcome friends into my home, heart and life. Creating and inviting real life meetings into our days grows our relationships.”

Words that graced the page two weeks ago, but continue to evolve as I learn what “welcome” looks like.

Welcome is …

when you enter a place that feels like a warm hug

hearing a friend’s voice on the phone or in real life

acceptance of all in love

the attitude of opening wide your arms to embrace differences as well as similarities

being here each week at The Weekend Brew as this community widens the circle to encourage and love others

There are places I visit and friends I know who exude the spirit of welcome. It is a place I want to visit over and over and they are friends who provide a safe place to just be me. I find welcome in real life and in beautiful online friendships that bless me over and over. I am learning that welcome is allowing God to take up residence in my heart and make it His home.

The unfolding of who I am becomes evident when God is working on my heart. When His Spirit dwells within me, I am better prepared to welcome others as He lovingly welcomes each of us. God created us with welcome in mind as we first became part of a family. From there, we learn what it is like to be welcomed in other situations, such as school, church, friendships and a work community. In each community, where welcome has taken place, we then broaden our understanding and learn how to extend the same reception to others. God wants us to experience this rhythm and then model the same for others.

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)

As children of God, we ultimately want to follow hard after God and open our eyes and ears to His ways. Confirming this through how we welcome others daily is how God desires us to live. We seek God’s kingdom here on earth, but learn that what we are hoping to achieve is to be welcomed into His kingdom in heaven.

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
(2 Peter 1:10-12)

God’s welcome began as He adopted us into His family before we were born. He created us in His image to continue the legacy of welcoming others as our mission here on earth. God looks forward to welcoming us into His eternal kingdom when He calls us home. The beauty is in the cycle of welcome that we join and sustain by sharing God’s love with others as He has called us to do.

Thank you for being so welcoming here at The Weekend Brew. Let’s continue this by encouraging each other.

theweekendbrewbutton1. Share a post, photo scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post or simply link back here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others along the way)!

Elizabeth
    July 10, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Your thoughts on having a welcoming spirit make me think of those who refreshed my spirit by their very presence, who’s welcoming hearts changed me.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psalm 16:9…

Mary Geisen
      July 11, 2015 at 7:14 pm

There are so many people who have modeled for me what it means to be welcoming. My mom was one of the first who showed me what that should look like. It sounds like you are blessed by people in your life who have shown you by their very presence what welcome can and should look like. So glad you are here today. Weekend blessings!

Michele Morin
    July 11, 2015 at 3:09 am

Mary, your words to me today bring to mind the thought that I need to be welcoming whatever God brings into my life. There are a few things hanging in the balance right now. Important to me. God is the decider, and I am . . . the decidee? Always an uncomfortable thing for me, but He knows what is best for our family long term, and I will be most honoring to Him and supportive of my family if I WELCOME His plans. Thanks for this Saturday morning boost!
    Michele Morin recently posted..You Are Here

Mary Geisen
      July 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Pausing and letting God show us the way to welcome is so hard. If you are like me, you just want to plow ahead and make your own decisions. I appreciate the reminder that welcome looks like welcoming God as well as His plans. Hope your weekend is blessed and love that you joined us today.

Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine
    July 11, 2015 at 10:03 am

Mary…what a fabulous way to see the word welcome in light of the Christian heart. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. I am enlightened. And thank you for hosting.
    Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine recently posted..4 Biblical Books You Should Have On Your Nightstand

Mary Geisen
      July 11, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I love that you joined us today. Your words of encouragement warm my heart and knowing that God loves a welcoming spirit, I am glad to be able to welcome you today. Praying you have a blessed weekend.

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    July 11, 2015 at 11:34 am

I try to carry the spirit of welcome within me, and give it out, as much as I can. Learned late, but not too late, that a welcome given is the best one.
    Andrew Budek-Schmeisser recently posted..Your Dying Spouse 28 – The Only Hope {Five Minute Friday}

Mary Geisen
      July 11, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Such true words, Andrew. Welcome needs to come from us and not the opposite of us sitting back and waiting for someone else to initiate the welcome. So glad you are here today. I always love when you join us.

Laurie Collett
    July 11, 2015 at 6:46 pm

This is beautiful, Mary! When I was saved, I felt as if Jesus was welcoming me in a warm embrace. Thank you for hosting and God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Gifts from the Beach – Love Letters in the Sand

Mary Geisen
      July 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Your words always feel like a warm embrace. I love when you join us here and look forward to seeing you each week. Happy weekend!

Constance Morrison
    July 11, 2015 at 7:20 pm

As writers we’re so used to using metaphors, I forget sometimes that God truly lives in us. I want to learn how to welcome Him. Thanks for the ideas on how make “at home” in our hearts.
    Constance Morrison recently posted..Nehemiah and Me: 1, 2, 3

Mary Geisen
      July 13, 2015 at 6:13 pm

You are welcome and thank you for being here. May we all learn how to welcome God into our hearts that He may transform us and use as He has planned. Blessings!

Maria @ Island Living Midwest
    July 12, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Beautifully put. I find that when I truly let God into my heart and in all areas of my life, I can love others better.
    Maria @ Island Living Midwest recently posted..A NEW STEPMOM WHO NEVER WANTED TO BE A MOM

Mary Geisen
      July 13, 2015 at 6:17 am

Yes! When God becomes our center we become His more deeply. That focus on God helps us to keep our eyes on Him who is our Savior. Blessings for a beautiful week.

Holly Barrett
    July 12, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I love this post! Thanks for being a welcoming friend. Love you!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..The Power of an Ordinary Story {Summer Blog Tour}

Mary Geisen
      July 13, 2015 at 6:18 am

You are welcome! As always thank you for being part of this community and adding your own encouragement each week. Love you!

Janis@Heart-Filled Moments
    July 12, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Mary, I can feel the welcoming spirit here and I understand what you mean by saying that when you walk in a friend’s home, it’s like a hug to feel that welcoming spirit. That is the spirit I want to create in my home. Thank you for sharing the many ways God calls us to be welcoming. They are not all easy, all the time.
    Blessings,
    Janis
    Janis@Heart-Filled Moments recently posted..“Let Creation Sing”

Mary Geisen
      July 13, 2015 at 6:21 am

I agree that the rhythm of welcome is not always easy. God provides what we need to open our hearts and ourselves to others in a spirit of welcome. Thank you for being here and for sharing your own welcome with your encouraging words. Blessings!