26 In Weekend Whispers

Community // Weekend Whispers

Friends, I’m exhausted. I hit the ground running last weekend and haven’t stopped yet. Not to mention I’m working on some heart stuff. You know, the kind that you’d rather leave buried under the carpet. But I know that I have to face my feelings and allow God to free me.

In this season, I am learning how important it is to be in community. It’s one thing to say you are there for someone in their time of need, but it’s important to know that when the rubber meets the road, there are those who will come alongside you in community and wrap you up with words of truth.

I’ve been thinking of Weekend Whispers. This community that has been growing over the last few years. If you visited last week, you know that last week was Mary’s final week co-hosting with me here. Oh how she will be missed. But I celebrate all that God is doing in and through her. She’s not backing away from community; rather she’s allowing God to direct her steps and lead her on the next phase of her journey with writing and with community.

Community.2
Truth is, we need each other. Mary and I have grown to be great friends and I know that she will always be there for me to encourage my heart in my time of need.  And YOU my friend, I need you. And you need me.

[tweetthis]Let’s embrace one another, lend our ears and open our hearts wide. We were made for community. @BarbieSwihart[/tweetthis]

My first thought when Mary told me she was stepping down was, “how will I carry this alone?”  I never want this to be a place for you to come and share your heart, and your words, through linking up and never be encouraged. It has been my heart from the beginning to truly engage in community with each of you, through commenting and visiting your blogs. Yet at a community of sometimes over 60, it’s a huge undertaking. So I asked the Lord what He would have me to do. And He said simply, “find another”.

And so I asked. This beautiful heart I will introduce to you officially next week. But she said Yes! I have been in community with this one for a few years now. And although she has not been writing much over the last year or so, she just recently launched a new blog. She has a heart for community and I am excited to partner with her as she comes alongside in co-hosting the link up every other weekend.

I am thankful you are here. I know there are many other places you could go, and I hope you do. Spread your wings and embrace as large of a community as you can wrap your arms around. And then ask God to enlarge your tent so you can embrace more.

My prayer is that we will continue to grow in community here at Weekend Whispers, and that God will use each one of us to encourage the heart of another each and every weekend. Please remember, if you link up, please take the time to visit the person who linked up before you, at minimum. It only takes a moment, but you may never know how your moment of encouragement can meet someone where they need it the most and change their life.

What is God teaching you about community? I would love for you to share in the comments below.

Barbie Swihart
  1. Link up a post that shares how God is whispering to your heart as you walk out your journey.
  2. Visit the person who linked up before you. You can visit more, but you must commit to visit at least this one. Please do not link and leave.
  3. Grab the new button or link back here and share this growing community with others.

jenn
    September 26, 2015 at 3:12 am

Barbie,
    What a lovely post in that I was running all week too! I stumbled upon your link on Twitter, and I’m thankful. It is a reminder that God sometimes takes people out of our support system, but He does provide new supports when we ask! In moving I have discovered the blessing of friendships changing, and my heart continues to change too. We all have “heart issues.” Praying you have some time with Your Father this weekend to hear his whispers. <3 jenn
    jenn recently posted..Cancel Doubts with — “I’m doing my best.”

September 27, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Jenn, I am so grateful for your visit. Praying you have a blessed and beautiful week.

Michele Morin
    September 26, 2015 at 3:16 am

Barbie, thank you for persevering here in spite of your load.
    Looking forward to meeting your new friend — I’ve met so many wonderful people through this warm and friendly space.
    Michele Morin recently posted..Seven Women. Seven Virtues.

September 27, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Michele, I am so thankful that you are here.

Bev Duncan @ Walking Well With God
    September 26, 2015 at 3:37 am

Barbie,
    Lifting you up in prayer right now…may you find rest for your weary heart this weekend in Him. Looking forward to who you have in store. Most tasks are best shared with a friend!
    Blessings and rest to you,
    Bev
    Bev Duncan @ Walking Well With God recently posted..When You’re In The Eye Of The Storm

September 27, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Bev, thank you!

Debbie W.
    September 26, 2015 at 5:31 am

Barbie such a beautiful post and I love community. I am part of the Proverbs 31 On-Line Bible study community and well it’s awesome. I can only imagine how you felt losing your co-hostess. But we are never alone – God is with us and look what an amazing job you did with all that was going on with this post – just you and God. Thank you for this venue and sharing.

September 27, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Debbie, I am blessed by your visit. I look forward to introducing my new co-host next week.

Joanne Viola
    September 26, 2015 at 6:21 am

Barbie, your blog has always been warm, friendly & safe. So important for us all. I look forward to meeting your new hostess as she is sure to bring much to this community! Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..The Random 5

September 27, 2015 at 10:24 pm

I appreciate you Joanne, and love that you are on this journey with me. Blessings for a beautiful week.

Betsy de Cruz
    September 26, 2015 at 7:11 am

I agree with Joanne’s comment above. Your blog is a warm and friendly place, Barbie. A blessing. I’m so glad you found someone to help with weekend whispers. I will continue to tweet about this community when I link up. (I suggest you have a click to tweet box letting people know it’s a linkup.) I had a wonderful day in community yesterday with 9 writers/bloggers in the Dallas area. It was wonderful to come together!
    Betsy de Cruz recently posted..Sticking with God in the Face of Doubt

September 27, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Thank you Betsy! I didn’t even occur to me about a Tweet box announcing the link up. Have a blessed and beautiful week.

Wanda
    September 26, 2015 at 8:49 am

Hi Barbie I read Mary’s post last week but didn’t have an opportunity to comment. When I read both your and her words I’m reminded of the importance to lean in to God and trust Him in every step of our journey. I always admire how you are forging new trails. Many blessings.
    Wanda recently posted..Provision for the Journey

September 27, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Wanda. I always love your visits and thankful for you! Have a beautiful week.

Gayl
    September 26, 2015 at 11:19 am

Barbie, it’s interesting that we both mentioned “embrace” in our posts today. I love what you say here: “Spread your wings and embrace as large of a community as you can wrap your arms around. And then ask God to enlarge your tent so you can embrace more.” When we share with each other and spread our wings to enlarge our community it’s almost like a warm embrace. Blessings to you!
    Gayl recently posted..Embraced By God

September 27, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I look forward to reading your post Gayl!

Dolly@Soulstops
    September 26, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Barbie,

Heart stuff is exhausting but also so worthwhile and freeing in the end…Praying God gives you grace as you continue to work it through with Him….((hugs))
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..What do you need when you wait?

September 27, 2015 at 10:27 pm

I totally believe this Dolly. God is gentle and kind and will not give me more than I can handle at one time. Thanks for stopping by!

Holly Barrett
    September 27, 2015 at 3:54 am

Looking forward to who your next soul-partner in Weekend Whispers will be. Thanks for being encouraging to all of us, Barbie!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..For such a time as this…

September 27, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Thanks Holly! So thankful you are here.

Mitzi Rice
    September 27, 2015 at 7:40 am

May you find peace in Him for your weary heart. When it comes to emotions and matters of the heart; those tend to be the most exhausting. Sending love and light your way. (((Hugs)))
    Mitzi Rice recently posted..I Am Entitled to My Feelings

September 27, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Thanks so much Mitzi!

Tamera @ Sow & Gather
    September 28, 2015 at 7:44 am

Wow – God gave you timely words. I’ve just joined a “community” of women. God called this group of women to launch a blog for His glory. Community is a blessing we often overlook. May we embrace it today! God has prepared the hearts for those that will join you here in your community.

September 28, 2015 at 10:04 pm

May God bless your new online community Tamera. I have found so many wonderful friends on line.

Vanessa
    September 28, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Barbi,

I can hardly believe it. I was just talking to two women today at work about the importance of community. What perfect timing to read your post!

My small group for the past 1.5 years has been truly a God send for me and my husband. We have grown so much through meeting with other couples that are in the same place as us in life. I can’t imagine missing out on that for anything.

The most common thread has been that when I open up and share about what I’m struggling with, someone else has a similar struggle, or has had it in the past. Connecting and encouraging each other while we face our burdens is irreplaceable.
    Vanessa recently posted..Maintaining Independence in your Marriage

September 28, 2015 at 10:03 pm

That is so true Vanessa. When we share, we will find others who are experiencing similar life trials. So thankful you stopped by today.