36 In Weekend Whispers

The Anticipation Of A New Season // Weekend Whispers

It’s coming. I can feel it in the air.  Well, actually we’ve been in a heat wave over here in California. Temps as high as 100. I know so many of you live where it’s been much hotter. But my mid-life hormones cannot really handle anything higher than 80. What do I have to complain about?

Fall_WW
As I walk outside tonight, I can feel the cool air on my skin. It seeps into my pores and with every breath, I am reminded of the hope that comes with the changing of the seasons.

[tweetthis]With every breath, I am reminded of the hope that comes with the changing of the seasons. #weekendwhispers[/tweetthis]

Fall. It is by far my most favorite season. The leaves with their gorgeous colors and how they fall and make way for new life. And Starbucks with their Pumpkin Spice! Why is it that you can only get certain drinks in certain seasons? I know some who anticipate the coming of Fall and their beloved Pumpkin Spice Lattes all year round. It’s as if they have waited for Fall to come and now are diving head first into the hope it brings. Oh and the time change! Here where I live we “Fall Back” on November 1st, which means I get an extra hour of sleep that night. Glory!

Even though I’ve been feeling all sorts of exhaustion — mentally, physically and spiritually, I want to look forward with anticipation to all that this new season will bring. I’ve asked the Lord to give me glimpses of His beauty in the midst of hardship. I don’t want to miss it.

Fall2_WW
[tweetthis]I want to see Him, and know that the hope I had for tomorrow will carry forward into the next season. #weekendwhispers[/tweetthis]

Speaking of change, there is going to be another change happening here at Weekend Whispers. I promise you it will be good. But I’m not going to share just yet. I am going to allow Mary Geisen to share more on that next week.

What are you anticipating the most about Fall?  I would love for you to share in the comments below.

Barbie Swihart
  1. Link up a post that shares how God is whispering to your heart as you walk out your journey.
  2. Visit the person who linked up before you. You can visit more, but you must commit to visit at least this one. Please do not link and leave.
  3. Grab the new button or link back here and share this growing community with others.

Joanne Viola
    September 12, 2015 at 4:21 am

Barbie, I noticed the changes fall is bringing this week as well. Amazing how all of a sudden it is before us in all of its glory. And may that be true of the changes in your life as well – may you see His glory in the changes! Have a blessed weekend!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Of Prayer, Choices & Home

September 12, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Thank you Joanne. You encourage my heart so well.

Debbie W.
    September 12, 2015 at 4:35 am

Barbie my favorite season is also Fall. I love decorating and itching to start today, but I need to clean first. “With every breath” – love it.

September 12, 2015 at 10:07 pm

I love looking at fall decor. I don’t have much myself. One of these days…… Thanks for stopping by Debbie.

Michele Morin
    September 12, 2015 at 4:49 am

I find that I have more energy in the fall, and I’m wondering if it’s connected to your thoughts on newness. It’s a new season, a new school year, a new beginning of ministries I’m involved in at my church. In spite of all past failures and disappointments, God gives another chance. So thankful.
    Barbie, blessings on your week, and thanks for persevering here in this warm and friendly space.
    Michele Morin recently posted..Wisdom for Waiting: Ten Lessons from the Life of Joseph

September 12, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Thanks for being here Michele!

Nannette and the Sweetheart
    September 12, 2015 at 5:18 am

I love fall!! Actually I just love the changing of the seasons, all of them 🙂 but fall just brings something special. The sights, the sounds, the SMELLS….just love it all. Blessings to you in this season…God is near! ♥
    Nannette and the Sweetheart recently posted..The Same

September 12, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Thanks for stopping by Nannette! Oh and with Fall comes the time to wear fuzzy socks! Hugs!

Constance Ann Morrison
    September 12, 2015 at 6:02 am

I love the beautiful colors of fall in trees and grasses. Selfishly, I look forward to the first hard freeze when the ragweed and wasps are done for the year!
    Constance Ann Morrison recently posted..Bleeding Hearts: My Nephew

September 12, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Oh wasps! They scare me. Thanks for stopping by Constance.

Mary Flaherty
    September 12, 2015 at 7:02 am

Suspense! Nooooooo! I can’t wait a week—but I trust you if you say it’s good, it’s good. BTW, I’ll tell you a little secret-Starbucks can sometimes make those special drinks all year round IF they have the syrups, etc. They don’t just make what’s on the board. If you ask, they sometimes have it. But then again, Pumpkin Spice just doesn’t taste the same in spring or summer. I just love everything pumpkin! I think I like fall stuff more than Christmas stuff–maybe because Christmas has become so commercialized. Okay, leaving the soapbox now! Sorry.
    Mary Flaherty recently posted..Spiritual Kale

September 12, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I can actually get my Peppermint Mochas all year round, as long as they have the syrup. I totally understand about Christmas becoming commercialized and you embracing fall more. Sadly, I am already seeing Christmas things in the stores. Yikes!

Carrie
    September 12, 2015 at 7:33 am

I too look forward to fall – no more humidity in the SE and the burst of colors. And maybe I’ll treat myself to a Pumpkin Spice! Change can be scary and unnerving so all the more reason to lean into Him. Hugs!
    Carrie recently posted..I Almost Called It Quits

September 12, 2015 at 10:12 pm

So glad you are here Carrie! Hugs right back at you!

Donna @ Soul Survival
    September 12, 2015 at 7:39 am

Thanks for hosting! Have a blessed week!
    Donna @ Soul Survival recently posted..“I know what the Bible says, but …” September 11

September 12, 2015 at 10:12 pm

So thankful you are here Donna!

Pam
    September 12, 2015 at 9:03 am

I love your post today! Fall is my favorite season as well!! I love how blue the sky is on sunny days with the right color splashes of autumn leaves which will appear here in Ohio about the second week in October. Going to the orchard for the fresh new apples and sipping cider is wonderful as is Pumpkin Spice Lattes! I am not a huge fan of high temps and definitely not high humidity so I tend to have more energy on cooler autumn days.
    Pam recently posted..Character and Clay Pots – Part 1

September 12, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Pam, thank you for stopping by. I love cider and freshly made apple pie with freshly picked apples. So thankful you stopped by.

Joy Lenton
    September 12, 2015 at 10:51 am

Barbie, I love autumn/fall for its glorious beauty, but hate the darker, colder days too. Mixed feelings and dealing with SAD accompany its onset. Change seems to disturb me more these days. I feel unprepared to relinquish summer and move on. Yet my heart echoes your words here:”Even though I’ve been feeling all sorts of exhaustion — mentally, physically and spiritually, I want to look forward with anticipation to all that this new season will bring.” Amen, how I want that too! Thank you for sharing how I feel and showing me a way ahead. Hope is the thing I cling to in this season. Maybe I should seek some creature comforts too! 🙂 x
    Joy Lenton recently posted..Always the same

September 12, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Joy, I completely understand how you are feeling in this season, and not wanting to let it go. And I so identify with SAD and how that plays with my emotions. I’m clinging to hope right along with you!

Dolly@Soulstops
    September 12, 2015 at 11:02 am

Barbie,

I’m looking forward to making crockpot soups…Praying rest for you this weekend, my friend 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..On the faith to wait and listen -5

September 12, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Love Crockpot soups and Taco soup! There is something so comforting to coming home to a bowl of freshly made soup. Thanks for stopping by Dolly.

Kathy
    September 12, 2015 at 11:19 am

Wasn’t this California weather this week crazy hot! Humid! You must be in a part of CA that changes seasons, I’m in Southern CA…so reading your blog brings forth that longing I have every fall..the changing color of the leaves somehow in my blood after a childhood back east..I can at least get a Pumpkin latte, though! Beautiful musing on autumn! Blessings!

September 12, 2015 at 10:27 pm

It was way too hot for me this past week. Today the temps changed drastically and it was overcast and cool. I live in Northern Cali, in the Bay Area. Thank you for stopping by!

Aritha
    September 12, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Beautiful, Barbie! I have you twee translated into Dutch and retweet it 🙂
    May God bless you!

Warm Europian greetings!
    Aritha recently posted..Kijk nooit naar wat je hebt verloren

September 12, 2015 at 10:27 pm

You bless me! Thank you.

Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine
    September 12, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Barbie…Fall is one of my favorite seasons as well. This morning I went outside to water my garden and there was a chill in the air. However, it got really warm as the day wore on. I am looking forward to colorful leaves, cooler temps and more baking. Thank you for hosting. Praying you have a rest-filled week.

September 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for being here Naomi!

denise
    September 12, 2015 at 11:10 pm

such a nice post my friend.

September 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Thank you Denise. Praying you have a blessed and beautiful week.

Beth
    September 13, 2015 at 10:48 am

Praying for you, Barbie, that you would catch all sorts of glimpses of God’s goodness and glory! And every once in a while, treat yourself to a Pumpkin Spice Latte and I will too! I do love the fall and cooler temps as well! Thanks for the linkup, my friend!
    Beth recently posted..Comment on When an Unexpected Detour Interrupts the Journey And WW Linkup! by Judith

September 13, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Thank you Beth. I have never actually tried a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Perhaps I should!

Gayl
    September 13, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Fall is my most favorite season! I love the cooler air, the colors, the breezes, the need for wearing sweaters, making soups and homemade lattes and hot chocolate, and I could go on and on. It’s a beautiful time of year. Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts!

September 13, 2015 at 7:35 pm

And warm fuzzy socks! Thank you for being part of the Weekend Whispers community Gayl.

Brenda
    September 14, 2015 at 9:30 am

Oooh, surprises, I like surprises. Look forward to hearing about the changes. 🙂
    Ya know, autumn is my favorite season too, but this year, my heart wants summer to stay a little longer. But, your post puts a little excitement in the air for me too. Thank you for reminding me to enjoy the beauty of fall, because it’ll be gone as quickly as summer was. ((Hug)) <3
    Brenda recently posted..The Hollow Fortress Control Built

Hannah Bollinger
    September 16, 2015 at 8:53 am

I love the words you paired with the pictures in this post.

Fall has become one of my favorite seasons. It’s a cozy season and I enjoy the cooler (but not too cold) weather, leaves changing colors, pumpkin spice everything, and my boots! 🙂

Been thinking of you with your homeschooling journey and also your full-time work load. Many blessings to you, Barbie, with the coming of a new season.
    Hannah Bollinger recently posted..Fall Decor on a Budget