28 In Weekend Whispers

Psalm 18:2 // Weekend Whispers

I want to thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement on my last post. You guys, my heart, which had become so weary, was comforted and strengthened through your kindness. If I haven’t already told you, I love you all so much. You truly are the best cyber-friends a girl could have.

For this week’s post I don’t have a lot of words. Just a simple image and a scripture which I’ve been soaking up.

Psalm18_2_WeekendWhispers
The Psalms are where I go to find comfort when my heart is heavy.  The Lord always leads me exactly where I need to go. #weekendwhispers Click To Tweet This week I’ve been reminded that although I am feeling overwhelmed, my God is a Big God! I’ve been meditating on the Names of God found in Psalm 18:2 and have uncovered some wonderful truths:

My Rock – He is strong, steadfast, unmovable.
My Fortress – He is my Hiding Place.
My Deliverer – He rescues me.
My Shield – He is my Strength, the One who keeps me from harm.
My Horn of Salvation – He is my Savior and my Redeemer.
My Stronghold – He is my Protector.

Which of the Names of God found in Psalm 61:2 stands out to you the most?

I am so thankful to have you here at Weekend Whispers!

Barbie Swihart
  1. Link up a post that shares how God is whispering to your heart as you walk out your journey.
  2. Visit the person who linked up before you. You can visit more, but you must commit to visit at least this one. Please do not link and leave.
  3. Grab the new button or link back here and share this growing community with others.

Michele Morin
    October 17, 2015 at 2:47 am

I really need to look over this psalm you are sharing today — such images of strength. The refuge/deliverer themes remind me so much of one of my favorites– Psalm 91. It says, “He will give His angels charge concerning you to guard you in all your ways. They will bear you up with their hands lest you strike your foot against a stone . . .” And then it goes on to list all the things you will tread on. It’s such a picture of God helping and delivering and also empowering!
    Blessings, Barbie — and happy weekend to you.
    Hope the homeschooling is going well. We’re almost half way through the year! “Let us not grow weary in doing good. In due season we will reap if we don’t lose heart.”
    Michele Morin recently posted..Everyday Blessings

October 18, 2015 at 7:50 am

I love the Psalms. I could camp there every day. Homeschooling is going well. We’ve switched gears and am doing on line through Time4Learning and supplemental. Still Saxon for math. My son is loving the visual, on line learning and he’s actually learning. This has been such a year of transition. I’m hoping we get more in a groove next year. Hope your year is going well!

Bev Duncan @ Walking Well With God
    October 17, 2015 at 4:39 am

Barbie,
    What wonderful truth about our Lord’s strength to meditate upon! I hope you don’t mind but I copied down your list because we ALL have those days and weeks in which we just need a safe and secure place to hide and take refuge. Praying for God’s strength for you today!!
    Blessings,
    Bev xx
    Bev Duncan @ Walking Well With God recently posted..Would Jesus Take A Selfie??

October 18, 2015 at 7:53 am

Bev, you are free to share! Have a blessed Sunday!

Joy Lenton
    October 17, 2015 at 6:20 am

Tricky question, Barbie. Can I answer “all of them”? Because in my long faith walk they have all become precious attributes of God to me. Although, if pressed, I think ‘Shield’ may be most appropriate at the moment as I look to the Lord for daily strength and protection from harm. Lovely encouraging post, my friend. May you continue to draw solace from the Psalms and from resting peacefully in God’s loving arms as He gives you safety, strength, protection and salvation in its widest application in your life. <3
    Joy Lenton recently posted..When I feel like I have nothing to offer, I remember this

October 18, 2015 at 7:54 am

Oh yes, a hard question to answer for sure. Thank you for your continual encouragement. You are a treasure!

Constance Ann Morrison
    October 17, 2015 at 6:37 am

Two days ago my youngest was in a car accident. The car is a mess; he’s ok. I’m thankful God was a shield, protecting from harm.
    Constance Ann Morrison recently posted..Morning by Morning

October 18, 2015 at 7:58 am

Oh Constance, I am so sorry to hear about the car accident, but ever so grateful he’s okay. Thankful for His Shield of protection and for angels surrounding.

Brenda
    October 17, 2015 at 6:53 am

Right now, it would probably be my Rock and my Fortress. I like that He’s unchanging in this ever-changing world. He my constant when everything else feels unsettled. And, I love that scripture tells me that He is my Strong Tower. I studied the names of God in the past, and loved it. I need to do that again. Thanks for sharing, Barbie, and thanks for hosting. 🙂
    Brenda recently posted..Nice Girls’ Manifesto

October 18, 2015 at 8:00 am

A couple of years ago I choose “constant” a my word for the year. So comforting to know that when all else fails, He remains the same. Thank you so much Brenda for stopping by and entering into the conversation.

Mary Flaherty
    October 17, 2015 at 6:56 am

All of that in one verse! Wow! I love all the names, and I think that my favorite, or most meaningful is the one I need most at the time I need it, if that makes sense. Sometimes I need for Him to be my rock,sometimes, I need a place of safety and sometimes I need protection. Always I need salvation. I’m glad that you’re being still and listening, Barbie. Sometimes, the less we say the more we can hear and feel the presence of our Savior, Protector, Redeemer, Deliverer and Strength. I pray that He will continue to show Himself to be all those things and more to you this week. Sending cyber hugs!
    Mary Flaherty recently posted..The Joy of Enough

October 18, 2015 at 8:01 am

Yes! I love that God gives us what we need exactly when we need it. Thank you for stopping by. Have a beautiful Sunday!

Carrie
    October 17, 2015 at 7:06 am

I often wonder how The Lord’s trumpet call wil sound when He comes again. Will it be like those battle horns in the movies? I hope so! And I pray I hear His horn loud and clear. Blessings, my dear Friend!

October 18, 2015 at 8:01 am

Me too, Carrie! Have a blessed day!

Carol
    October 17, 2015 at 8:04 am

Thank-you for sharing this rich verse. When we consider all that God is, all that he will do, we can rest. I especially like Horn of Salvation. We are being refined and God has our future in his hands. Blessings!
    Carol recently posted..Autumn Praise

October 18, 2015 at 3:52 pm

AMEN Carol! Thank you so much for stopping by.

Joanne Viola
    October 17, 2015 at 8:42 am

Barbie, I loved this post. May I share a verse with you? I have discovered the truth of this verse in recent days >> “So be strong & courageous! Do not be afraid & do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will PERSONALLY go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” (Deut. 31:6, NLT) He is personally with us, everywhere & anywhere we are. He is our personal God being all that we need each moment of our day. May He bless you today!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Day 17: Why Criticize Her?

October 18, 2015 at 3:55 pm

LOVE this verse Joanne! I love that He is a personal God. He gives to each of us exactly what we need when we most need it. Have a blessed week.

Tara
    October 17, 2015 at 8:57 am

My stronghold…that’s the name that jumps out at me today. Love the image too.
    Tara recently posted..The Sweetest Thing (A Guest Post)

October 18, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Thanks for stopping by Tara! Have a blessed week.

Cathy
    October 17, 2015 at 8:58 am

This is one of my favorite verses. There is comfort in knowing He is all these things. I know when I falter or my emotions get the best of me I can go to the Lord, my Rock, whose love and compassion never change. He never tries to shame me, but instead covers me, reminds me of His love. I can always count on Him, lean on Him. He’ll never turn His face from one who calls on Him. So many, including myself, have felt God is mad at them when they have faltered, sinned, but I’m learning that God is always standing with open arms of forgiveness and His love for us never falters, never fails. He will never reject a humble and repent heart. He is my Rock.
    Cathy recently posted..The Lotus and The Cross: Jesus Talks with Buddha

October 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm

AMEN and AMEN! Have a blessed week Cathy!

Trudy
    October 17, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Hi Barbie. I just read your last post and I could really relate. It is really something how God works. I read Carrie’s comment at Joy’s site and felt the need to follow it. Then one of her posts mentioned how you helped her. So here I am now at your site. This post is so encouraging. This past week has been extra tough for me. Sometimes the waves of doubt and discouragement sink me under but God is my Deliverer. He reaches beneath the waves and rescues me again and again. He sets my feet upon the Rock Christ Jesus.
    Trudy recently posted..Everyone Needs Compassion

October 18, 2015 at 3:59 pm

I am so blessed by your visit Trudy! I look forward to visiting your blog.

Patti P
    October 18, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I absolutely adore reading from Psalms. We were blessed several years ago to have a pastor at the church we attended who spoke often about the various names of God and of Jesus Christ. I loved those lessons. I think one of my favorite names is Abba Father.

October 18, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Every time I hear “Abba Father” I want to yell, “Daddy God”. I too love studying Psalms and the Names of God. Thanks for stopping by Patti.

Aileen
    October 22, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Every one of God’s Name in that verse stands out to me. When I soak in the words, I have this overwhelming sense of His great love for all of us. It made me feel more secure and at peace.

Just a few days ago, we’ve experienced a category 3 storm. I am in a safer place than the rest of my family. They were in one of the provinces that were hit the hardest. But I know that the Lord covers and protects them from harm. And so I was able to sleep soundly even as the storm rages.

We can always trust God no matter what. He has always been faithful.

Thank you for sharing this verse. Blessings to you, Barbie.
    Aileen recently posted..{Day 22}: Our Absolute Value

October 25, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Aileen, I am so thankful you are safe and pray your family is too! Thank you for stopping by.