17 In Book study

Embracing Life’s Transitions – Week 1 {Introduction}

I’ve been anticipating this book study for a while, and I am so glad that you are here. Whether you will be reading along with me, or just reading blog posts and interacting through comments when you can, I am so excited you are here. If you haven’t already liked my Facebook page, I would love to have you visit me there as well. I will be sharing insights and quotes there a couple of times each week.

This week’s post is introductory in nature and I hope to leave you a few nuggets to chew on as we head into our first full week of reading.

EmbracingLifesTransitions_week1This quote from the Forward hit me square in the face. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been kicking and screaming against certain changes in my life over the past few years. God is so patient with me. I can almost see him standing in the corner, with His arms folded, with a smirk on His face as He reminds me that when I’m done having my fit about my circumstances, He is right here.

Change is seldom easy. It’s hard to adjust to moving in a different direction when you’ve been walking along the same path for years. And then suddenly, everything changes. Perhaps God is calling you to move to a different state away from family and friends. Perhaps He’s calling you to change jobs, leaving behind what has become familiar and safe for many years. Perhaps you are going through the heartache of a broken relationship. No matter the change you are facing, know this:

“It is possible to thrive even if the change looks like the exact opposite of the path you’d prefer.” – Kristen Strong, Girl Meets change.

And that, my friend, is how we will learn to embrace change. We will choose to believe that God will bring us into this new season not to merely exist, but to thrive!

We do not walk alone. God will hold our hand until we come through to the other side. Click To Tweet Our job is to trust Him. But first, we must surrender this season of change to Him and believe that He is working all things in our lives out for our good.

EmbracingLifesTransitions.2_Week1
I am so excited that you have come along on this journey. My prayer is that we will learn to accept our current circumstances as a gift.

Join me next week as we discuss Chapter 1.

Carrie
    November 3, 2015 at 9:52 am

I’m excited to follow your blog posts as you read this book, Barbie! I’m one of your biggest cheerleaders and can’t wait to see what you learn and share with us!
    Carrie recently posted..Looking Backward and Forgiving

November 3, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Thanks so much Carrie!

Kristen Hamilton
    November 3, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Hi Barbie!

Great truths in the intro! I just bought the book on my Kindle this morning, so after a day of homeschooling & errands, I’m looking forward to starting it!

I’m excited about this book study with you. It couldn’t have come at a better time! Just relocating to Maine from PA and homeschooling our 3 daughters for the first time this year – I’m the poster child of change – unexpected change! God *is* doing incredible things in our lives through the changes, though. Bittersweet!

Thanks so much for putting this together!
    Kristen Hamilton recently posted..Book Review: Miracle on Voodoo Mountain by Megan Boudreaux

November 3, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Kristen, it’s so nice to “meet” you. I am homeschooling my 7th grade boy, while working full time. Talk about challenging. I am thankful to have you join me on this journey. I am following you on Bloglovin and look forward to getting to know you more.

Barbara
    November 3, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Can’t wait to read the book; and come back and re-read your thoughts from the Introduction! I’ve been through many changes in the past few years, and I do not like it; but I am learning to accept what has changed and know there will most likely be many more (changes) in the future…yet, I don’t always lean into God and let Him be the One who guides my path. I need to do this…more often; I need to do this…now!

Thank you, Barbie, for this book study…and so much more!!
    Barbara recently posted..Simple Woman’s Daybook – November 2, 2015

November 3, 2015 at 10:09 pm

So glad to have you join me Barbara!

Dot
    November 4, 2015 at 3:55 am

I have been through many changes this year from the passing of my son, illness, car accident totalling my car, and taking care of my twin grandsons who will be 4 this month and can be a handful. I have tried to look at the good that God has done through all of this. My son he is now in Heaven with no physical pain, no loneliness, and healthy. My car was replaced by a van that I have been wanting, yes it is used and has high milage but it is good on gas and safe for my twin grandchildren to drive in., my grandchildren bring me a lot of joy into my life ( of course being twins and 2 boys there are moments) but if it were not for them I don’t think I would have survived my son’s passing as good as I did. Yes God has plans but being human we don’t always see,like,understand, them. I am impatient in a lot of ways sometimes I have to practice what I tell my daughter , God works in his time not hours.
    Thank You introducing me to this books I just started it and have read two chapters Enjoying it very much.
    God Bless
    Dot

November 4, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Dot, I am so thankful to have you along on this journey.

Trudy
    November 4, 2015 at 9:46 am

Such encouraging thoughts here, Barbie. It’s so hard to imagine that we can thrive through change, not merely exist. I’m afraid I’m too often dragging my feet and resisting if it’s something different than I prefer. But if I think back, God’s ways have always been much higher and better than mine. It’s a good thing He is in control and not me. It’s a comfort to know we are not alone and He’ll hold our hand and get us through. I’m looking forward to more in this book study. Thank you for doing this.
    Trudy recently posted..Reflecting Jesus and His Love

November 4, 2015 at 10:26 pm

God certainly knows best, doesn’t He? Thanks for following along Trudy.

CharleneMcD
    November 4, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I am going to attempt to read along with you. I have been carrying the book back and forth to work with me all week and only had time to sit down and read the first few paragraphs of the forward. This is definitely not a book that I want to read during a busy work day. It is something to savor and think upon and reflect about. It deserves more of my time than a quick look and a speed read to get to the end of the chapter, just so I can say I have read that chapter. I am looking forward to a little slow down time.

November 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm

CharleneMcD, I am thankful to have you along on this journey. You are so right in that we need to process this book in a quiet place. Blessings!

Lynn Jow
    November 4, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for your post Barbie. When we go through change we are very vulnerable and need people that love us through without judgement or their own agenda for what they think we need to be doing to get through it. You are so good at loving and accepting people where they are and bringing hope and comfort for those that are in transition. I am looking forward to being part of the blogging community as it is a new thing for me. Praying for all of us who are in a state of change that the God of All Comfort will wrap us up in His loving arms as we walk through this season of transition.

November 4, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Lynn, I am so thankful for your friendship and look forward to interacting with you here on the blog. Hugs!

Hannah Bollinger
    November 4, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been hearing so much about this book lately, and while I’m not currently reading it, I will enjoy tuning into some of your thoughts about it.

“Change is something God uses to get our attention.” Isn’t that so true.

Blessings to you this week, Barbie!
    Hannah Bollinger recently posted..A Run with the King

November 4, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Thanks for stopping by Hannah!

June
    November 5, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I’m not able to read along this time, friend. But I’m looking forward to gleaning inspiration and insights from your posts. I always do 🙂
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . Grateful Series I: Be the one