26 In Weekend Whispers

Rest, Reflect, Be Still / Weekend Whispers

Life is moving right along at a fast pace. No matter how hard I try, I cannot find enough hours in my day to do all of the things I need to, let alone want to, do.

I wish I could stop time, catch my breath, get some good sleep, and be ready to embrace the next day.  But I’m tried, exhausted actually.

I have to be willing to let go of some things in order to make room for Him. #weekendwhispers Click To Tweet

Still, the letting go is hard.

tree.560

I painted this piece last month during one of our worship services. I wasnt’ quite sure it was finished. There is no fruit on the tree. Isn’t a tree supposed to bear fruit? Or at least have some blossoms that signify growth?

But the more I looked at the painting, the more I felt the Lord had a message for me in the simplicity of it.

In this season, the Lord desires to teach me the fruit of rest. #weekendwhispers Click To Tweet

I want to encourage you friends, that if you feel as if you are not bearing fruit in your current season, perhaps He is calling you to bear the fruit of rest. Allow yourself to let go of the things that are hindering you from going deeper into His Presence. He’s waiting for you to come.

Thank you for your patience in getting the weekend link up posted. I so appreciate that you take the time to be here each week.

Barbie Swihart
  1. Link up a post that shares how God is whispering to your heart as you walk out your journey.
  2. Visit the person who linked up before you. You can visit more, but you must commit to visit at least this one. Please do not link and leave.
  3. Grab the new button or link back here and share this growing community with others.

Wanda
    November 15, 2015 at 2:42 am

During the fall and winter seasons, trees always manage to garner my attention. It’s amazing to see the changes they go through. Much like ourselves we have seasons of growth and times were we look barren. But both seasons are vital to our growth. May we each have the grace to savor the season we are in because oh how they do eventually change.
    Wanda recently posted..Of Finding Wander, Happiness & Passion | Friday Finds

November 15, 2015 at 8:27 am

Great words of wisdom Wanda!

Joy Lenton
    November 15, 2015 at 4:18 am

These words find an echoing ‘Amen!’ in my heart: “He is calling you to bear the fruit of rest.” We may not see the fruit yet but it will appear if we are patient and faithful in the waiting process. Thank you, Barbie. Your words reflect the way God is speaking to me too. . This season our souls want to slow, sit and savour awaiting our Saviour. Yet life’s persistent tug threatens to pull us into busyness. Praying for you, sweet friend. You will receive all your weary soul needs in the stillness. May He bless, refresh and restore you as you rest in His presence and lean heavily on His bountiful grace. Our God is faithful. Xx
    Joy Lenton recently posted..Refreshing the weary

November 15, 2015 at 8:29 am

I am so thankfully you were blessed by reading Joy. Let us both lean in deeper into His presence in this season and rest. Thank you for stopping by.

Holly Barrett
    November 15, 2015 at 5:43 am

Barbie, we are on the same page today, friend. I’m just now realizing that the last year of my work life has been traumatizing to me and now that I’ve changed responsibilities, I need to take the time I need to recover. It’s a slow process. But one that I’ll have to repeat if I don’t heed the Lord’s call into rest and quiet and recovery. Thanks for this reminder today! xoxo
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Come with me to a quiet place… {SSMT}

November 15, 2015 at 8:31 am

I’m looking forward to reading your post Holly. I am thankful He is leading you to rest. Have a blessed Sonday!

Dot
    November 15, 2015 at 6:55 am

In this time of season of my life my mind wanders from idea and thought one to the other. I find it hard to focus and stay there even with in my prayers. I have very little time to myself as i am sure all of us are in the same thing, but then it is hard to settle and focus to hear him speaking to me a nd to get into his word. Any good suggestions are welcome.
    God Bless
    Dot

November 15, 2015 at 8:33 am

Dot, I understand the season that you are in. One thing I try to do is focus on quality and not so much quantity in my devotions. It’s been hard to absorb larger portions of reading, whether it be a devotional, the Bible or another encouraging book. I would say small portions and then just allow God to absorb that into your heart as you go through your day. Love you my new friend. Hang in there.

June
    November 15, 2015 at 7:01 am

The fruit of being still, resting in Him. I’m definitely entering a season of reflection, after a very busy, chaotic year. I love the soft yellow glow that surrounds your tree, Barbie. It speaks warmth and calm to my soul. Sabbath blessings, friend.
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . solidarité

November 15, 2015 at 8:38 am

So thankful you were blessed June. I pray you have a beautiful week.

Trudy
    November 15, 2015 at 7:31 am

“His desire is that I would rest in His presence, reflect on His goodness and be still and know that He is God.” I love this thought, Barbie. Thank you for this encouragement. My busyness is mostly in my thoughts – chaotic with worry and whispers of “not enough.” I need to learn to rest more in God. I’m sorry you feel so exhausted. I pray God will give you peaceful rest in Him.
    Trudy recently posted..Our Intercessor, Our Friend

November 15, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Oh yes! Rest in His presence and let Him remind you of who you are, and whose you are. Have a blessed week Trudy!

Mitzi
    November 15, 2015 at 8:50 am

Oh, as you well know, I feel you honey…totally! I adore this post and that painting is just perfect. Rest…Reflect…Be Still…. Love & Blessings to you…always
    Mitzi recently posted..Making Sense of Things That Don’t Make Sense

November 15, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Thank you Mitzi! Have a beautiful week.

Beth
    November 15, 2015 at 10:28 am

This is what God has been saying to me too, Barbie, but I can’t quite figure out how to do that or what it looks like given my life. 😉 But I’m grateful for your encouragement in this direction. We all need to rest more in the Lord–even if we aren’t slowing down our pace. I suppose that’s the place I need to start! Thanks for the linkup, my friend! Enjoy your weekend!
    Beth recently posted..Comment on What Men Say About Opening Up And WW Linkup! by Beth

November 15, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I struggle with it too. With work, family, homschooling, etc. it doesn’t appear there is anything I can let go of. I’m asking God for wisdom and that He will show us both His plan. So thankful to have you at the Weekend Whispers link up Beth!

bluecottonmemory
    November 15, 2015 at 11:06 am

I have been thinking how I need a “getaway” – but then I realize when I returned – that getaway would have only been kicking the can down the road. God is wanting me to learn to live refreshed in the midst of this oddly fulfilling and tiring season. It’s allowing me to see that it’s time to “retire” from somethings and move into something new a different – not with my writing – but with what I do with the rest of the living in the daily. I feel like I’m getting ready to be excited – but it’s so new an idea! Shalom, Barbie – be rested, be filled, be refreshed!

November 15, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I’ll be praying for you! Thank you for joining the discussion at Weekend Whispers!

Hannah Bollinger
    November 15, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Your words spoke to my heart, Barbie. Oh rest. I struggle with taking a break from doing so that I can just be — but when I do let go and rest, it is so refreshing. Those moments to just be still and know…they nourish my soul.

The fruit of rest — that thought will stick with me. Thanks for sharing!
    Hannah Bollinger recently posted..On Being Real

November 15, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for stopping by Hannah. Always a joy to have you here!

Elizabeth
    November 15, 2015 at 9:30 pm

I love reading your post and the comments, too. I think we bear fruit by staying connected to the Vine and we bear it in due season like Wanda said.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Giving thanks in all circumstances…

November 17, 2015 at 11:03 pm

So true! When we are connected to the Vine we cannot help put produce good fruit.

Carrie
    November 16, 2015 at 9:19 am

This will be the second year I’ve literally left the month of December “uncommitted”. I schedule our school year so we can take off the whole month, if we choose to. I plan to buy less, give more of me and rest a lot! Praying you find time to rest and rejuvenate, Friend! Hugs!
    Carrie recently posted..A Late Bloomer

November 17, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Good for you Carrie!

Lyli @3dlessons4life.com
    November 16, 2015 at 10:20 am

Barbie, this is such a good word. Thank you.

November 17, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lyli!