7 In Book study/ Faith

Embracing Life’s Transitions // Week 5

I’ve never been one to admit defeat. I don’t like feeling or appearing weak in any circumstance. But I know that I am. And I know that if I am going to learn to fully embrace change, then I must learn to accept my limitations.

“I may be a person who has imperfectly learned to thrive through change, but I can’t say I thrive on change.” – Kristen Strong, Girl Meets Change

_Life's limitations are God's invitation to change our expectations._

If I am going to be completely honest, I am still kicking through seasons of change. I often look at the season and think, “where did I go wrong”, or “what could I have done differently”. I focus on what was, instead of believing that God has His best for me just around the corner.

I focus on what was, instead of believing that God has His best for me just around the corner.… Click To Tweet

“I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.” (Ps. 27:13)

There were/are times when I wonder if I will fully embrace His goodness here on this earth. Part of me believes that I have lived the best days of my life already. Yet I know that this is far from truth. God still has good things for me. And He promises that I will see His goodness this side of heaven.

I want so desperately to come to a place of accepting change and finding the blessing within it. When I choose to look behind, I miss what He has for me up head.

When I choose to look behind, I miss what He has for me up head.

“A limitation is a grace space for me to lie down in and soak up God’s presence. It is a garden spot for me to reflect on God’s believability.” – Kristen Strong, Girl Meets Change

I love this quote by Kristen.

When we realize that, in and of ourselves we cannot accomplish anything, we can come to focus on the fact that with God, all things are possible.

What is God teaching you through your limitations? I would love for you to share in the comments below.

Chrissy
    December 17, 2015 at 7:16 am

This. So true. Such a great read. I had to learn that if I keep dwelling on the past wishing to be able to turn back time and go back, I will never be able to see all the great things that are ahead of me, that were meant to be. There was a time where I was unable to look into the future, because I was holding onto my past so strongly. I just couldn’t let go and that limited my now and here to only things that had already been. Until one day I decided to let go. To move on and try to be happy with everything as it is. I guess sometimes we just have to let go to move on. Thank you for this inspiration!

December 17, 2015 at 8:11 am

Thanks for stopping by Chrissy. It’s hard to let go sometimes, but we can trust we are safe and secure in the hands of God. Blessings!

Dot
    December 18, 2015 at 4:39 am

God has taught me over this past year many things. I have learned that he has full control whether we think so or not. I have looked back at a year that as I was going through it thought it was a very trying year, When that Jan 3rd morning call came and told me my son was in TICU and was brain dead my world came crushing down, but i learned to see the good of everything. He was no longer in pain. When my car was totaled I thanked God for not letting myself or dog get hurt, when I look back at it now I wanted a bigger car for two years (kia van) I got that Kia van so good provided it when he knew we could not just get a bigger one. So for every closed door a new one opened for me. So the overall picture is that at the time of change we are frightened like small children and Our Father takes us and give us what he wants for us. as we look back after the fact we see the good not the bad. I hope this makes sense to you, I am not good a putting my thought on paper. GOD BLESS

Sharon Brobst
    December 18, 2015 at 7:28 am

Loved this! “When we fully come to realize our limitations, and give them over to God, we can enter His rest and peace will come.”

This goes right along with what God is showing me this week! As God is showing me my weaknesses and neediness everything in me wants to fight against it, push through it. (sigh) Oh how I need to just give them over to God and learn to rest in my limitations and weakness.

He is my strength in the midst of my limitations. Thank you Barbie!

Michele Morin
    December 18, 2015 at 8:09 am

So much to learn, and just when I think I’m making progress, the Lord reveals a whole ocean of change that needs to be made. Big lesson from 2015 is that I’m not in charge. Bowing to His will in several fairly major disappointments has been a tutor to my heart. Maybe I’m learning to hold things loosely? Lots of work still to be done.

Joy Lenton
    December 18, 2015 at 9:18 am

I’m holding onto this too, Barbie: “God still has good things for me. And He promises that I will see His goodness this side of heaven.” Although I’m not currently reading Kristen Strong’s book, your reflections on it here are showing me that I need to! Thank you. Blessings of peace and acceptance to you as you embrace the next thing God has planned for your life.

Trudy
    December 18, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I love your reflections on this book, Barbie. “I want the Lord to teach me how to not see the limitations that change bring as boundaries, but as places to acknowledge my weakness and accept the fact that I need Jesus to help me go the distance.” Such insight here! Yes, that’s what I want, too. With Him all things are possible! Thank you for this encouragement. I know God still has good things for you, Barbie. May He fill you with His light and peace this Christmas and always!