When One Word Finds You // Weekend Whispers

My OneWord focus for the year has found me.  I didn’t go looking for it.  I had pretty much resolved that I would not choose a word this year, after miserably failing to embrace my word last year, and the year before.  But it came to me through worship and tears, and embedded itself deeply in my heart.  I’ve been hesitant to fully embrace it, but I know that I must.

I’m not ready to reveal it just yet, but it is located within the scripture below.

Steadfast

I will have more to share on my OneWord focus for this year soon. In the meantime, have you chosen a word for the year, or has a word chosen you?

WeekendWhispersLinkUpButton_2016
Weekend Whispers is place to share what God is whispering to your heart. It can be a post, a photo, a scripture — just as long as it’s encouraging and uplifting. Be sure to visit your link-up neighbors.  *Please link up ONE post. Any additional posts may be deleted. We do not want to distract people from visiting one another. We appreciate your understanding.

1. Gayl says:

Barbie, my one word found me when I wasn’t expecting it. I, too, had thought about not having one since I didn’t do too well with the word intentional last year. But then I realized that even though I may be intentional about things, God may have other plans. So my #oneword for this year is OPEN. I want to be open to whatever God has for me. Blessings to you!

2. Susan Shipe says:

I think when the word finds us instead of us going to look for it – it is far more meaningful. That’s why I’m looking forward to a year of HIS DISCIPLINE!

3. Joy Lenton says:

Barbie, my one word focus has always found me and that’s meant waiting well into January some years until I was sure I’d heard right! It will be all the more meaningful for you because God lays it on your heart as His desire for you in the year ahead. I’m committed to following the path of ‘love’ in all it rich complexity. And that both awes and terrifies me in equal measure. All I know from previous experience is that God always provides the means to embrace the words He gives and the grace to live them out. Blessings of peace to you as you embark on the challenge your ‘one word’ may present. Xx

4. Melody says:

I’m not sure why I’m struggling with a word for this year but I am. I have NO idea what word to choose. I’ve spent a lot of time in prayer over it but still can’t narrow down to a word. I trust in time He will reveal this to me. I look forward to coming back and reading about your word when you share more.

• Barbie says:

I understand Melody. I find when I stop looking, that’s when He’s dropped the word in my heart. Thank you for stopping by!

5. Barbie…Thank yo so much for hosting. Blessings.

6. Jed says:

Great verse and I’m looking forward to finding out exactly what your word for the year is. 2016 is my year of “teamwork,” and it’s amazing how many new friends and I’ve made already. Thank you for the opportunity to share, and connect in the link-up. Wishing you an happy and blessed weekend!

• Barbie says:

Jed, so nice to have you at the Weekend Whispers link up! I look forward to reading your blog and getting to know you more.

7. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie, my word usually finds me as well through a portion of Scripture which continually crosses my path. Praying for you as you embrace the word the Lord has for you, for it there that you will abound in all that He intends for you. Blessings!

8. Beth says:

Hello my Sister! A word stumbled into my life as well. Actually I have two. I will write about them soon as I chew on them awhile.

I pray this will be a year of great breakthrough and victory in your life!

Love you!
    Beth

9. June says:

Last year was a difficult year for many of us, dear friend. God gave me a “do over” this year with my #oneword : new Looking forward to hearing more about the word He’s placed on your heart 🙂

10. Barbie, you are in my prayers in a very special way right now.

11. Carly says:

I hesitated to embrace my word too. It is surrender- definitely not a word I would have chosen, but I’m starting to see it differently already.

12. Barbie,
    When a word finds you, it sounds like the Spirit’s work. Like you, I didn’t pick a word last year, but God began whispering “Joy is coming” in April of last year and towards the end of last year, it reappeared so it is my word…and yes, I was surprised 🙂 Blessings to you in 2016 🙂

• Barbie says:

I wanted to pick joy as my word. But I know that God has me walking a different journey which will also teach me deep, abiding joy. Thanks for stopping by Dolly!

13. Beth says:

Can’t wait for the big reveal when you’ll let us know what word you feel God is calling you to focus on for 2016, Barbie. My word is “release” and I am anxiously awaiting all that this word may involve. I know some of it is going to be quite painful, but it seems that those are the kinds of experiences that refine me best. Thanks for the linkup, my friend!

• Barbie says:

I hope to post that soon Beth. My blogging calendar is so behind so it will most likely be towards the end of the week. I love your word. Looking forward to seeing how God unfolds it for you this year.

14. Chasing Slow says:

This is the first year since 2009 that I haven’t had a word come to heart yet. I like to let the word find me, too, and I can’t help but ponder after reading this post that God isn’t telling me to embrace “slow” — a word that I had to embrace last summer to get through some very hard times.

I’m looking forward to visiting you with the 52 lists link up! Thank you for visiting and my prayer is that it does spark and encourage simple, but deep and meaningful moments to treasure in the week’s ahead.

15. My word this year is listen. I hope to listen, to hear Him more clearly, and to heed what He tells me.

• Barbie says:

That’s an awesome word Elizabeth. I need to pray that God will open my ears so that I can hear Him more. Blessings!

16. Barbie,
    Thank you for hosting each week and for blessing me so with your words and heart! I am praying your word come to life in you this year! May 2016 be a beautiful year for you!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

17. I don’t have my word yet. I’m waiting on God to reveal it. 🙂 I love your honesty of not following through on your word from the previous years. I feel the same way, but then sometimes, God reveals a little more truth in how He followed through with the word even when I wasn’t expecting it or praying attention to it. Praying for God to do the same for you this year! And no matter what, I pray your year is full of many blessings and God’s abundant love and grace!

• Interesting, I noticed that I said “praying attention” to it instead of paying attention to it. But maybe that wasn’t a mistake. Praying that we all can PRAY attention to our word and ask God to move in that area in mighty ways! 🙂