8 In Faith

When You Let Your “One Word” For the Year Sink In Deep

It’s almost February, and I haven’t been able to get the thoughts out of my head regarding my One Word focus for the year. Perhaps it’s because I’ve done nothing yet to pursue it. But isn’t that how God works? He pursues us whether we pursue Him or not.

2484161181_8e805b9a35_z

[tweetthis]God pursues us whether we pursue Him or not.[/tweetthis]

I had pretty much resolved at the end of December that I would not have a One Word focus this year. After all, I haven’t quite lived up to the expectations (my own) of a One Word focus for the last couple of years.  So rather than let myself down again, I decided I would be content without any focus at all.

But I think God wants us to have a focus. He wants us to have something to pursue, a small goal to attain to. And I know without a doubt that even if I do not conquer this word this year, I will grow more into the person God desires me to be because of it.

When I least expected it, this word surprised me, in the middle of a Sunday morning worship service. I could not resist it. It had been pursuing me for two weeks as the song, new to me, took me immediately into His presence.

If you would, please indulge me for a few moments to watch this video. I promise you it’s that good.

Arms raised, heart open, and tears falling, I said yes. It was a faint yes, but it was a yes. And I’ve been mulling over this word ever since.

My heart will stay steadfast, I know that you are good.

It was this line in the song that I could not escape. It pursued me, until I opened my heart to receive it, and it’s embedded itself deeply in my heart.

Steadfast2016_400

I believe the Lord wants to teach me how to remain steadfast through the storms of life. I’m tired of being tossed around by the waves. I am tired of being led by my emotions.

Steadfast: resolutely or dutifully firm and unwavering

I’m not sure where this journey will lead, but I know that it’s a journey I must take. I believe I will be a better person for it. And in the midst of this journey, I’m holding onto His goodness.

[tweetthis]No matter what, God is good.[/tweetthis]

I’m spending time reading scripture about the steadfastness of God. I’m allowing this word to sink deep into my heart. I hope to share more as God brings greater revelation.

Do you have a One Word focus for this year? I would love for you to share in the comments below.

Carrie
    January 29, 2016 at 7:31 am

What a wonderful word to focus on, Barbie! Yes, let us cling to Him and depend solely on His Spirit to carry us. Proud of your determination, Friend!

February 4, 2016 at 7:22 am

Thank you Carrie, my faithful and steadfast friend.

Michele Morin
    January 29, 2016 at 9:15 am

Showing up today with words of praise to Him is a great beginning to the fulfillment of your word!

February 4, 2016 at 7:21 am

Thank you so much Michele. You are a blessing!

April
    January 30, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I too had “resolved at the end of December that I would not have a One Word focus this year”. Even though I spent time thinking it through and trying to decide I just never felt peace with a decision. Then early and mid-January came and I still hadn’t posted anything, then last week I started to realize maybe I’m not done with the One Word from 2015. It feels as if the new thought patterns were just starting to be responsive rather than coached – despite similar circumstances, but I also know I am resistant to change…. At this point, I believe I am choosing to prayerfully “mull” over the idea of continuing another year with the same One Word and One Verse focus.

February 4, 2016 at 7:21 am

April, that’s awesome. Sometimes God continues the journey for us in certain areas. Thankful you are leaning in and listening to Him. Have a blessed day and thank you for stopping by.

Ginger Harrington
    January 31, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Steadfast is a word for every day of every year. What wonderful things God will bring as you focus and follow as he leads you further into this place of deep steadfastness. My word this year is open. How lovely to open this year with blog friends. Blessings, Barbie!

February 4, 2016 at 7:20 am

Thank you for stopping by Ginger. I know God has much to teach me about being Steadfast. I am thankful for a Steadfast God with lots of patience.