45 In Weekend Whispers

Held In The Grip Of Grace // Weekend Whispers

I’ve been thinking a lot of about grace lately, and how on most days, I don’t really deserve it. But isn’t that true of all of us? Grace is given to use freely by a God who loves us, unconditionally, no matter what. He doesn’t keep a record of wrongs. Oh He wants us to repent of our sin, but even so, God still loves, and He continues to pour out grace abundantly.

Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus. (1 Timothy 1:14)

On days when life is hard I really have to reach for grace, to accept the truth that there is a God who loves me, who fights for me, and who truly has my best interest at heart. Most days I fight to stay in a place of faith.

The phrase, “held in the grip of grace” kept coming to my mind.

gripofgrace

You know that picture of the cat who is barely hanging on to the tree branch, and the slogan reads, “just hang on”? Well I picture me as the cat. All haggard looking, eyes full of fear and uncertainty, barely hanging on. And I picture God as the branch. Although it looks small, there is so much power and strength in the branch. It holds enough strength to hold me, to keep me from falling, and to reassure me of His presence.

That’s how I picture being held in the grip of God’s grace. It’s when my weakness meets His strength. Even though I may feel my circumstances bearing it’s weight upon me, it’s not too heavy for God. Even though the branch may bend and sway with the wind, it will not break. I will not fall.

Grace defined means, “the free and unmerited favor of God.”

Favor defined is, “an act of kindness beyond what is due or usual.”

I get off track sometimes. I go off on my own and hide in a corner, waiting for all of my cares and worries to cease. I pout, I stomp my feet, I shake my fist…at God. Yes, I do. Don’t you at times? God does not promise us an easy life free from pain and trouble. But He does promise He will remain by our side as we walk the journey.

I sometimes feel guilty for allowing my circumstances to cause me so much pain. I haven’t lost a child. My marriage is still in tact. I have a roof over my head and so many things to be thankful for. But there is heartache, disillusionment and worry. It may not be your story, but it’s my story. To some it may not be a big deal, but to me, it’s huge.

I think the last five years has really put a toll on my faith walk with God. Although I’ve never strayed completely off the path, at times I’ve shut Him out. I’ve turned my eyes and walked my own way. Oh I love Him. But when you are hit with one disappointment after another and the season of winter seems to never end, sometimes you need a break to regroup.  You need to go to a quiet place and cry tears and stomp your feet, all the while knowing that God is right there beside you, no matter what.

When you are held in the grip of God's grace, He will not let you go. Click To Tweet

I may not know how this particular season we are fighting through will end,
but grace comes and leads me into His truth.

I may be grieving over lost dreams,
but grace comes and turns my mourning into dancing and fills my heart with joy.

I may be broken and bruised,
but grace comes and holds my broken heart and breathes life and healing

And all the while I am reminded that He is a good, good Father.

How are you doing today, my friend? How can we pray for you? Do you have a grace story to share? We would love for you to link up so that we can visit you.

[tweetthis]I’m joining the community of grace seekers over at the #weekendwhispers link up![/tweetthis]

WeekendWhispersLinkUpButton_2016
Weekend Whispers is place to share what God is whispering to your heart. It can be a post, a photo, a scripture — just as long as it’s encouraging and uplifting. Be sure to visit your link-up neighbors. *Please link up ONE post. Any additional posts may be deleted. We do not want to distract people from visiting one another. We appreciate your understanding.

Anna Smit
    March 19, 2016 at 12:28 am

This is so beautiful, Barbie. This especially: “When we are held in the grip of God’s grace, He will not let you go. We may feel as if we are falling, but He will not let us.” Have you ever read the MSG version of John 6: 35-40…it literally says that He will hold onto us and never let us go. Oh how my heart empathizes with yours here…I too have struggled, but precisely in confessing my distrust, He’s moved in to encourage me to trust again. SO thankful for this indescribable, amazing grace right along with you.

March 19, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Anna, thank you for visiting and linking up with #weekendwhispers. Your post really touched my heart. Thank you.

Lux G.
    March 19, 2016 at 12:42 am

Amen to this! I don’t think I’d get this far if God is not holding me close.
    Happy weekend!

March 19, 2016 at 6:08 pm

So true Lux! Thanks for stopping by.

Bev Duncan @ Walking Well With God
    March 19, 2016 at 4:40 am

My life has had so many twists and turns that I would have never imagined, but from where I sit right now, I so see God’s awesome grace. Like you, I’m thankful that in my darkest times, He never let go. He clung to me. He held me fast. So thankful that I worship a God of grace and mercy.
    Blessings,
    Bev

March 19, 2016 at 6:18 pm

AMEN Bev!

Michele Morin
    March 19, 2016 at 4:50 am

Reminded by your words that even our holding on is not dependent upon our own strength, but upon our willingness to be held. I’m so thankful today for the Anchor of My Soul! And for your courageous words here today.

March 19, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Thank you Michele. Yes, we must have the willingness to be held. Love that!

Debbie Williams
    March 19, 2016 at 5:26 am

Love the thought of that small branch and the cat holding on. You are so right Barbie He will not let us fall. He will lead us step by step in His path for us.

March 19, 2016 at 6:29 pm

So thankful for a God who hangs on to us, no matter what. Loved your post today Debbie. I couldn’t find a place to comment?

Carly
    March 19, 2016 at 5:28 am

I love that God holds on to us, even when we struggle to hold on to him, that it doesn’t depend on our goodness but on his grace, and that we can be honest with him when life is hard. Praying that you know his love and goodness holding you today.

March 19, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Thank you Carly. So thankful for His grace.

Joy Lenton
    March 19, 2016 at 5:49 am

Barbie, you describe so well how I often feel, especially with these words: “I may be broken and bruised,
    but grace comes and holds my broken heart and breathes life and healing.” Oh how we need holy breath to enliven weary bodies and spirits! God’s grace is something we can hardly fathom and can only receive with humble, grateful hearts and pass on to others. Thank you for sharing so transparently. In your testimony you bless all who read your God-given words and see themselves within them. Blessings, hugs and prayers. Xx

March 19, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Thanks so much Joy. You are a faithful encourager.

June
    March 19, 2016 at 5:50 am

My dear, sweet friend, I sense so much hope and peace in your words today. That is my prayer for you; hope and peace. I recall during some of the darkest days of my life, God “felt” very far away. But I remained in His word, trusting His promises. Looking back on that time now, I can see He was closer to me than ever.

March 19, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Thank you June! I’m so glad He does not let go!

Deb Wolf
    March 19, 2016 at 6:41 am

Beautifully said, Barbie. I’ve never liked the songs that say – I’ll never let You go, because I’m pretty sure if left up to me I can be very unfaithful. BUT with His help, His grip of grace – I am never let go of. I am held. That’s better. Waaaay better. Thanks for this today my friend. I love it!

March 19, 2016 at 11:29 pm

That’s such a great way of putting it Deb. And in this season I’ve let go. But I am held firmly in His grip of grace!

Andrew Budek-Schmeisser
    March 19, 2016 at 7:25 am

I look at it a little bit differently…in the night, when pain won’t let me sleep nor lie in other than one uncomfortable position, I’m secure that God has got me, won’t let me go, and that my loves, hopes, and dreams are being held safe in trust for me.

Perhaps not to enjoy in this life, but what is this life when compared to eternity?

March 19, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Praying for you Andrew. I pray that God is holding you close and that you are feeling His strength.

Trudy
    March 19, 2016 at 8:00 am

I love this, Barbie. I’m so glad we are held in the grip of God’s grace, and He will never let us go. We may feel sometimes like the cat hanging on a branch, but He is not going to abandon us. This line especially comforts me – “I may be broken and bruised, but grace comes and holds my broken heart and breathes life and healing.” Thank you for being transparent, Barbie. May Jesus hold you so close to His heart that you will hear the constant rhythm of His faithful love for you!

March 19, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Amen Trudy! Thank you for your encouragement and prayers.

Julie Lefebure
    March 19, 2016 at 10:16 am

Barbie, I’m rejoicing in the truth He will not let us go. So thankful! I appreciate the opportunity to encourage one another on this journey of life. I’m praying for you today, and asking God to meet you right where you are. Much love to you today.

March 19, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Thanks so much Julie. Where would we be without the encouragement of our sisters in Christ. Have a blessed week.

Debbie Wilson
    March 19, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I’m so thankful for God’s grace. When we are weak He is strong! Blessings and thanks for hosting.

March 19, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Thanks for stopping by Debbie!

Aliyah
    March 19, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hey Barbie, thank you so much for your words today. I really needed it – you are describing exactly how I feel. And all I can do is weep, confess, and know that God will never leave me although the storms rage on and anxiety seems to be dished up. Yeah this year has been filled with good and with some very bads, I also took on a project that has been giving me so many sleepless nights. IN prayer today, God showed me my reasons for taking it on, not good reasons, more fear really so I repented felt His grace and drew back, wondering how I could deserve so much when I made such a huge blunder and now still have to see it to the end (I’ve signed a business contract!) but I am opening myself up and knowing He loves me, He give sme this because I am His. I am still learning to walk and yip the season is crazy, not to mention how the enemy of our souls capitalises on us when we feeling down but still believing. Thanks for reminding me that I am not alone – another sister goes through the same. Blessings Aliyah

March 19, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Aliyah, it’s so wonderful to meet you. I’m so glad you felt the nudge from the Lord to step away what was causing you anxiety. I pray for His peace and comfort to overwhelm you. Blessings my new friend!

Joanne Viola
    March 19, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Barbie, like you, I am so grateful our God never lets go of us. I am so grateful His grip is always on us. May our God meet you and your family right where you are today, showing Himself to be all that you need. Blessings!

March 19, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Thank you for your prayers my sweet friend!

Rachelle Craig
    March 19, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Love this post today. I too have struggled with God’s grace. I am so thankful that He is always willing to meet us right where we are at and cover us in His amazing Grace!

March 19, 2016 at 11:38 pm

He loves us so. Thank you for stopping by Rachelle.

Mary Geisen
    March 20, 2016 at 6:19 am

Your journey has been difficult and seems to stopped every time you turn a corner but through it all, I have seen how God has continued to reach out to you to give you what you need. He is indeed a good, good Father. I am blessed that I have walked part of this journey with you. Life is not usually the perfect plan that we have dreamed about but if we look at it through God’s eyes, it is! I have many grace stories and am amazed that God shows up when One more challenge is thrown my way. His grace is such a beautiful gift that I am grateful for. Love and hugs to you friend!

March 20, 2016 at 8:13 am

Love you Mary. Thank you for your encouragement. I know you walk this road of grace and I am grateful for your friendship.

Elizabeth Stewart
    March 20, 2016 at 7:36 am

You really have been in a long, long winter season. I know that spring always follows winter, and am praying that God hastens spring for you and yours.

March 20, 2016 at 8:13 am

I looking forward with hope to all that Spring has to offer. Hugs to you Elizabeth!

Beth
    March 20, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I do love God’s grace and am so glad that you are holding tightly to it, Barbie, and encouraging the same in us. We need Him every hour … every millisecond! Thanks so much for the linkup, my friend!

March 20, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Oh yes, I need Him! Thanks for stopping by Beth.

Lisa notes
    March 21, 2016 at 5:17 am

I’m so thankful too that we are held in the grip of grace—and most especially for those times when I don’t hold on myself! I can know he’s holding on for me and of me. Thanks for sharing this, Barbie.

March 22, 2016 at 7:00 am

Thanks for stopping by Lisa. I appreciate you!

Lyli @3dlessons4life.com
    March 21, 2016 at 10:16 am

I’m thankful that HIs grace is unending. It’s also encouraging to me that He is sitting on a throne of grace. Valley seasons seem endless, but looking back I always see the grace springing up like flowers in the dry dessert. Hope you get through to the mountain top soon. Hugs

March 22, 2016 at 7:01 am

“I always see grace springing up like flowers in the dry dessert.” You described it perfectly. My ascent to the mountain top has been long, but I know who holds me. Thanks for stopping by Lyli!

Dawn
    March 21, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Grace is one of my most favorite words, Barbie! 😉 And friend, we do need to find a safe place to shed those tears and to weep and grieve for the dreams and the hopes but the renewal in the watershed is always the reward because He is there with us, whether we shut Him out or invite Him in. He is always there with us and always leading us closer and closer to the place where grace holds us close and sifts our situations so that we can see them through His view.

Praying for you to be inspired by this grace that holds you so close and I am grateful for your words.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

March 22, 2016 at 7:02 am

Thank you for your beautiful encouragement Dawn!

Hannah
    March 22, 2016 at 12:32 pm

I too am grateful that His grace is sufficient, that He holds us near, even when the winter season seems so long and it’s difficult to understand why. Your honest heart is a blessing to me, Barbie. Even through the challenges, there is hope in your beautiful words.