39 In Weekend Whispers

Blessed in Community // Weekend Whispers

Community

Ever since I was a little girl, I had a deep desire to be a part of what was happening around me. As the fourth child, and the middle girl, I often felt left out of the things that my brothers and sisters were involved in. And when I was fortunate enough to take part, I was always given the lesser role. I often felt alone, unloved and unwanted.

the little girl is afraid

When you feel as if you don't belong, you feel alone, unloved and unwanted. #weekendwhispers Click To Tweet

As a teenager in high school, I joined lots of the campus clubs, not because I was passionate about their cause, but because I simply wanted to belong to something. I didn’t last very long in any of them. Although I had good friends in high school, I never felt connected to any of them. Feelings of disconnect left me wounded and brokenhearted.

brokenheart

Feelings of disconnect can leave you wounded and brokenhearted. #weekendwhispers Click To Tweet

In my young adult years I met Christ and began to follow Him. This decision automatically disqualified me from the invite list of many of my friends to many of the places I use to frequent. My old self was no longer alive. She died when she met Christ and those I hung with in the old days just couldn’t understand this new life. I was no longer welcome in their community.

God has blessed me with so many beautiful “in-real-life”, Jesus loving girlfriends, and I am truly grateful. I know that He has given me a heart to encourage them in their walk with the Lord, and I believe He has given me the passion to encourage so many others beyond my immediate sphere of influence.

Almost eight years ago, I set out on an adventure to enlarge my community through blogging. I had heard that you can have deep and lasting friendships through the airways and never really meet face-to-face. Although my blogging tenure has been laden with friends who have both come and gone, I wouldn’t trade the blessings that I’ve found in community through blogging for anything. I’ve been drawn in by your words, inspired by your images, encouraged by your faith and strengthened through your struggles. You are my people.

In December 2011, I began this link up  as “Fresh Brewed Sundays”, which morphed into The Weekend Brew in 2015, and finally became Weekend Whispers this year.

My desire was to foster a community of like-minded women who loved Christ and wanted to share their heart through their writing. I have loved getting to know you through our little community. I have been blessed by your words, uplifted by your prayers and fueled by your encouragement. I wouldn’t change a thing.

But God has greater plans.

I want to let you in on a little secret.  There is a big change coming soon to the link up. I can’t share too much just yet, as it will spoil the surprise, but I am beyond thrilled. And, I am excited to have Carrie along on the journey as we take the final steps into the new that we believe that God has called us to.  Carrie will share a little more next week.

If you’ve been blessed by the community here, will you leave a comment and let us know? And will you pray that the final touches regarding our change will go smoothly?  We are so excited.

Tell us, how have you been blessed in community here at Weekend Whispers?

WeekendWhispersLinkUpButton_2016
Weekend Whispers is place to share what God is whispering to your heart. It can be a post, a photo, a scripture — just as long as it’s encouraging and uplifting. Be sure to visit your link-up neighbors. *Please link up ONE post. Any additional posts may be deleted. We do not want to distract people from visiting one another. We appreciate your understanding.

Bev Duncan @ Walking Well With God
    April 2, 2016 at 2:06 am

Barbie & Carrie,
    I have not been part of the Weekend Whispers community for a really long time, but I’ve been here long enough to know that this is a place where you can be “real” and be loved just as you are. In our society, women encouraging other women, runs counter-culture. Thank you for championing this God directed message.
    Blessings and curious :),
    Bev

April 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Bev, we are so grateful for you. Thank you for being here. We so appreciate you!

Carly
    April 2, 2016 at 2:58 am

I have only been blogging for about 8 months and when I started I had no idea it would bring me into contact with so many great people or that there was such a sense of community among Christian bloggers. I have been surprised and encouraged by the deep connections I have formed with people I have never met face to face. Thank you for all you do to make Weekend Whispers such a place of love and encouragement. I look forward to hearing the news and will be praying for you both as you finalise things.

April 2, 2016 at 9:30 pm

We are blessed to have you a part of this community Carly!

Michele Morin
    April 2, 2016 at 4:06 am

Barbie, I’m so glad that you shared that little thread from your story. For one thing, it makes me even more conscious of “including” all four of my boys in the scheme of things. I’m amazed at how long you have been blogging. Perseverance! I love how the community has changed and grown just in the short time that I’ve been part of it. Thanks for staying in the race of faith!

April 2, 2016 at 9:27 pm

We are blessed to have you with us on this journey Michele. Thank you!

Debbie W.
    April 2, 2016 at 5:19 am

Barbie and Carrie excited to see where God is leading you. Blessings and prayers as you enter this new adventure. Praying lives will be touched all over the world because of your faithfulness.

WOOHOO!!!

April 2, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Thank you so much Debbie!

Joanne Viola
    April 2, 2016 at 5:29 am

Dear Barbie & Carrie,
    I have enjoyed being here as this has been a place that has felt inviting & inclusive. And now, Barbie, I know why this is so. May you realize that God took what the enemy desired to use to harm you & used it for good, His good purposes here. I am grateful to be here & look forward to what lies ahead. Blessings to you both!

April 2, 2016 at 9:26 pm

You’ve been such an faithful encourager of my heart and this link up.Thank you for sticking with me!

Carol
    April 2, 2016 at 6:05 am

Dear Barbie & Carrie,
    The warmth and transparency of your site has touched me from the start. We are all on a journey of faith and it is great to have the encouragement of this community. Barbie, thank-you for your faithfulness over the years!

April 2, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Thank you Carol. Your words mean a lot to both of us.

Ginger Harrington
    April 2, 2016 at 6:49 am

Barbie, I have been blessed by your love of community. You are the blogger I first connected with in discovering blogging communities and link ups. You encouraged me greatly! And though we don’t interact as often as we used to, I still love reading what God lays on your heart! Sweet blessings, and I can’t wait to see what is coming!

April 2, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Ginger, I am so grateful for you. I’ve missed you and hope to get to reading your words more often. Hugs!

Debbie Wilson
    April 2, 2016 at 7:48 am

Barbie, thank you for sharing your story. I never thought about how a middle sibling might feel. I thankful for the friends I’ve met online and excited about your surprise! May the Lord guide each step.

April 2, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much Debbie!

Laura Rath
    April 2, 2016 at 7:52 am

Barbie, you are one of the first people I started to get to know, through 5 Minutes for Faith and your own blog. when I started blogging. I was thrilled to join you when you started Fresh Brewed Sundays, and am still glad to join you now. Can’t wait to see what you have planned! God bless!

April 2, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Laura, you have been so faithful to this community. I am truly thankful for you and for our friendship. I’m hoping my life will calm down soon so that I can to reading more of your lovely blog posts.

June
    April 2, 2016 at 8:17 am

Weekend Whispers in all it’s forms, has always been a blessing, sweet Barbie! It’s one of the first things I read on Saturday morning, and it always encourages and inspires me. Looking forward to seeing what God has planned. Prayers and blessings!

April 2, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I am encouraged to know how encouraged you are through this link up. We are grateful to have you along on this journey June!

Mitzi
    April 2, 2016 at 8:50 am

So excited to see what is next! I honestly felt as though I was reading the story of my life there for a bit. I adore the weekend whispers series. So many beautiful women share their hearts here. It does give one a sense of belonging…a feeling that they are not alone. Big hugs to you! Have a blessed weekend!

April 2, 2016 at 9:08 pm

So glad you are here Mitzi. Please keep sharing your beautiful images and words with us.

Gayl Wright
    April 2, 2016 at 8:57 am

I’ve really enjoyed being a part of first The Weekend Brew and now Weekend Whispers. I’m not sure how long I’ve been here, but it’s been a blessing to me. Reading yours and Carrie’s words have always given me something to think about or identify with. I’m excited to see what you have in store!

April 2, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Gayl, thank you for sticking with me through my seasons of change. We are blessed and encouraged by you as well.

Joy Lenton
    April 2, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Barbie, I love hearing more of your story. This community has been a huge blessing to me in the relatively short time I’ve connected with you. And the main things that come across are authenticity, openness, honesty, hope, encouragement and an oh so warm welcome. It’s somewhere I instantly felt at home and ready to drink coffee together. You have a rich faith field here, a beautiful grace-filled gathering of souls and a sharing beyond the superficial. It’s a precious thing indeed. Now I’m excited to hear what God will do next! Blessings and love to you and Carrie. You are awesome women of God! <3

April 2, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Joy, I am encouraged, and I know Carrie is too, to find out how welcome you feel here. We are thankful for you and look forward to reading more of your beautiful heart-filled words.

Rachelle Craig
    April 2, 2016 at 6:07 pm

I have been subscribed to Weekend Whispers for several months now, but am fairly new to the blogging world. I love seeing your posts in my inbox, because I know I will be encouraged and inspired by you and Carrie both. I love your transparency, your strength, your honesty, and your hearts! Even though you are going through trials and seasons of your own, you have always been willing to reach out and help me! That means the world to me! I am looking forward to seeing what is to come, I can’t imagine anything much better! 🙂 ❤ Thank you for all you do! Thank you for being a friend! ❤

April 2, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Rachelle, I am so thankful to have met you through blogging. I am hoping my life calms down in a few weeks so that I can spend more time reading your words. You have a beautiful heart and I am thankful you decided to start blogging.

Lori Schumaker
    April 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Barbie,
    So excited and praying for this next adventure! I can’t wait to find out more!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

April 2, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Thank you Lori. We are pretty excited about the changes.

Ann
    April 3, 2016 at 6:20 am

Oh, yes! I have definitely felt truly blessed whenever I stop to read your blog posts! And I am also very thankful that you have continued to share your link-up party for so many believers in Christ to connect and support one another! I look forward to seeing the new changes you will be making here! God keeps moving us forward, as we seek His will in our lives!! Bless you, Barbie!!

April 3, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Ann, I am so grateful you hear how you’ve been blessed by the community here. Thank you for sharing your beautiful writing with us.

Kym
    April 3, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I’ve been delightfully surprised at the community and friendships I’ve found through blogging as well. Who knew?! I’ve met so many wonderful people, and the best part is that many – like you – are godly and encouraging, and are also faithful prayer warriors. I’m looking forward to the big announcement and to see what’s coming next!

April 3, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I am blessed by you Kym. You are one of the first faith homeschoolers I began to follow a while ago and you’ve encouraged me greatly more than you know.

shannan williams
    April 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I have been truly blessed by meeting you Barbie through blogging and you have been such and inspiration to me. I have not linked up with you yet but I am hoping to soon. I am just getting back into the swing of blogging more. May God bless you and Carrie as you make the changes coming soon. I look forward to seeing what it is .

April 3, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Shannan, I am so excited to see you writing. You truly do have a gift.

Natalie
    April 4, 2016 at 4:30 am

Thanks for sharing this part of your story, Barbie. It resonates. I was encouraged as I read, and that, to me, is foundational for fellowship and community. Thanks for opening your blog home for community, fellowship, and encouragement.

Lyli @3dlessons4life.com
    April 6, 2016 at 11:28 am

Barbie, you are such a tease. We have to wait a whole week to find out?!?! — Excited to hear your news! xo

April 6, 2016 at 8:55 pm