Faith, Glimpses

We Are All A Little Broken // Glimpses v.1

broken

This past week I’ve been fighting exhaustion, depression and anxiety. When I look at our current situation, it’s scary. Will we have to move? Will my daughter be able to finish school here? Will we be able to stay close by to family and friends? Will my husband ever be healed and be able to work again?

Somehow, I just keep going, because what other choice do I have than to put one foot in front of the other and just keep going (as my friend Diana so beautifully reminded me of this week in her post about trials that have made her better.)

Fear is the opposite of faith, and most often these days I feel more filled with fear than I do faith. And therein lies the problem. I must keep looking up, fixing my eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith. He promises that He will never leave me nor forsake me. I have to keep believing that breakthrough is just around the corner. I can’t give up now.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.  Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. (Hebrews 12:1-2 NLT)

The image used in this post is of a daisy in my front yard that is barely holding on to life. The weeds threaten to overtake it and it is surrounded by more death than life. My husband cannot do yard work very easily these days, and we don’t have the money to hire a gardener. But I was reminded by the strength of the daisy to hang on that I too have that same strength. Even though the cares of life threaten to overtake me, I can choose joy. I can choose LIFE. I can choose to believe that there is beauty in the broken.

I am a little broken, and that's okay. #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

Join me on my search for beauty among the ordinary. Comment on this post, or share on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty.

And now begins my counting of the gifts of beauty that God has given to me. Each week on Mondays I will share what I am thankful for from the prior week.

1 – Birthday celebration with friends
2 – Love, laughter, tears and hugs with friends
3 – The ability to be real with my friends and know they still love me
4 – Flowers from my soon-to-be sister in law for helping with her engagement party
5 – A homecooked favorite meal and time spent with family
6 – A boss who I love working with
7 – Co-workers that make me laugh
8 – My new Fire TV and Amazon Prime Membership 🙂
9 – Celebrating my husband’s birthday
10 – The desire to write again

*This post is part of a Monday series called “Glimpses”. These are short posts that I hope will encourage you, followed by my weekly gratitude list. I pray you are blessed.

17 thoughts on “We Are All A Little Broken // Glimpses v.1”

1. Michele Morin says:

Loved reading your list, and was thankful this morning in my own little gratitude journal! It really does help to be intentional, to write them down, and to consciously thank God.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by to read Michele!

2. June says:

Your words here are an answer to prayer, my friend – my prayers for YOU! You are stronger than you know, with a strength that only God can give. He will continue to be faithful as you follow Him. Blessings on your week!

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much June! I receive your prayers!

3. Elizabeth says:

God is so good to weave glimpses of His love and faithfulness into the middle of our messy and difficult days. Praying for you!

1. Barbie says:

Yes! Yes He is my friend. He’s such good Father. Thanks for stopping by to read.

4. Mitzi says:

Such a wonderful post to read today! You are always in my thoughts and prayers dear. Have a wonderful week!

1. Barbie says:

I appreciate you Mitzi! Thanks for stopping by!

5. Missy says:

I’m choosing joy with you, my friend. If we lived closer, I’d take you out for a cup of coffee and hug you tight. This verse is in my heart this week – “oh Lord, You alone are my hope.” Psalm 71:5

And, I’m right there with you on numbers 3 and 10. Slowly, but surely on 10, but getting to that sweet place again.

1. Barbie says:

Missy! I do wish we lived closer. Your invitation sounds like just what I need. But I am thankful to hang out with you in cyber space! I’m so glad you stopped by!

6. Lux G. says:

Our beauty is in our brokenness. 🙂

1. Barbie says:

AMEN. Thank you Lux!

7. Rachelle Craig says:

Barbie, I think about you and #glimpsesofhisbeauty all the time, and admit I am oftentimes “too busy” to stop to capture the glimpse. I am committing to trying to do better! This is another beautiful post! ❤

1. Barbie says:

Me too Rachelle. I know i started this a while back, and I’ve seen your posts on Instagram. I could never really put it out of my mind, this capturing of glimpses of His beauty. Glad to have you along on the journey.

8. SUSAN says:

We are all a bit broken for sure. Barbie, during these difficult times I have found the only thing that works for me? Is doing the “next thing.” Just like you said. God knows. God sees. God has a plan. SO SO hard when life is upside down. xo

1. Barbie says:

So true. Thank you for stopping by Susan!

9. Carrie says:

I’m so thrilled your desire to write is getting stronger! We are all blessed and encouraged by your words! ((Hugs))