Write31Days 2016

Embrace Day 11 // Five Minute Free Writes “Thanks”

I’ve been intentionally focused on giving thanks this year. Not that I haven’t been before, but for a time, I allowed circumstances to cloud my vision of all of the beauty surrounding my life. Now, I am intentionally seeking it out. Giving thanks is a muscle that must be exercised daily if we are to grow a heart of gratitude. #write31days #FMFW #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

This beauty, it hides in the messy corners of my life. It disguises itself as unimportant among the mundane, and my eyes divert their attention away from it. But I’ve been asking the Lord to open my eyes so that I can fully see the beauty that is right in front of me.

Open my eyes, Lord, that I might see the beauty all around me. #write31days #FMFW #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

fmfw_thanks_11

I am sharing my list of thanks on my blog every Monday, intentionally giving thanks for the little things in my life, the not so obvious and easily overlooked. In doing so, I realize how truly blessed I am and how rich my life is with the beauty of Christ.

In giving thanks for the little things, I realize how rich my life is with the beauty of Christ. #write31days #FMFW #glimpsesofhisbeauty Click To Tweet

Are you practicing giving thanks for the little things in your life? How does intentionally looking for beauty in your life create a heart of gratitude?

embrace_150This post is part of a 31 Day series entitled Embrace, where I will be sharing images, quotes and words that I hope will stir your soul. You can find each post in this series here. Together, let’s embrace every day and the beauty that each one holds.

12 thoughts on “Embrace Day 11 // Five Minute Free Writes “Thanks””

1. Melissa Henderson says:

While reading your post today, I started singing, “Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart”. God gives us so many wonderful blessings and we do need to thank Him. 🙂

1. Barbie says:

I love that song Melissa! It is so good to give thanks! Thank you for stopping by!

2. SUSAN says:

Ya know Barbie, gratefulness really has to be sought after intentionally. The world is so full of negativity and hatred. We don’t even have tv and yet I see enough over Twitter and FB!! Yes, we can sift it out but I want to be intentional in seeing those wonderful gifts God gives us every day. For one, the warm sunshine streaming in my window after a 30 degree morning! Yes, Lord.

1. Barbie says:

So true. And what I wouldn’t give to be without tv for a while. We normally don’t watch the news stations much, can be so depressing. Like you, I get an ear and eyeful through social media. Thanks for stopping by!

3. Robin says:

Beautiful post. I wrote about thanks today too. I can relate to what you said about allowing circumstances to cloud your vision of the beauty surrounding my life. I am guilty. And I’m slowly coming out of that but have a long way to go. Thanks again. Enjoying your 31 day series.

1. Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by Robin. I’m looking forward to catching up on your series.

4. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh sweet friend, you know you are speaking my language here! I tend to go in a cycle of remembering to write them down (so important and helpful) and then getting busy and just taking note of them mentally! (When I just do it in my head, it’s so much easier to fall out of the practice all together! There really is something powerful about writing them down on paper!) Love this… and you!

1. Barbie says:

I agree. On the weeks I have to sit and try to remember what I’m thankful for it’s like pulling teeth. There is an app I use on my phone to help me record my daily gratitude.

5. Tammy says:

Beautiful words. I need to get back to keeping my gratitude journal!

1. Barbie says:

It has been so good for my heart. Thank you Tammy!

6. Mindy says:

I like the quote about giving thanks being like a muscle that we need to work. And we all know that working our muscles keeps us in shape – physically and spiritually : )

1. Barbie says:

So true! So glad you stopped by Mindy!