Embrace Day 14 // Five Minute Friday “Mail”

I get a lot of junk mail. It comes to my house from places I’ve never visited. It comes through my email from who knows where. I love when I receive handwritten cards in the mail, or the unexpected check, or anything related to good news. But unwelcome mail of any kind, in any form, is junk mail.

This mail, it comes offering advice of all kinds:

“Come visit us on your next vacation.”
“Try this next great weight loss secret.”
“You could win a million dollars!”
“This is the best tutoring program for your child.”

We are overwhelmed with all kinds of information, form all kinds of outlets. Everyone wants to give their opinion. Everyone wants to give advice. But I’m learning to hold my tongue, especially in these uncertain times for our nation, because, what really will it serve should I lay it all out there?

Unsolicited advice is the junk mail of life.

I don’t want to be unopened mail sitting on someone’s counter. I want to be a letter that is read with an open heart and an open mind. I want my story to be a testimony to all who read.

Linking up with Kate at the #fmfparty crew for the Five Minute Friday

embrace_150This post is part of a 31 Day series entitled Embrace, where I will be sharing images, quotes and words that I hope will stir your soul. You can find each post in this series here. Together, let’s embrace every day and the beauty that each one holds.

1. Gabriele says:

What a creative twist of comparing unsolicited advise to junk mail. I enjoyed that idea and will remember it.I visit from FMF.

2. Aliyah says:

Hey Barbie I am a close neighbor at FM this week. Wow amen, thank you can we high five. I hold on my tongue often on telling people things that God is sharing with me to do because I find people give all kinds of advice that is not of Him. This week I reache dout to someone about something I am struggling with, and their words sent me off in to a wave of fear, in opposite of the direction God is leading me in. I sat with Him in prayer, read the Psalms and am lifted from the load but again I said to Him, I am not doing that again even with good friends. Unsolicited advice is unwanted and I am also not a great believer in that! Many Blessings Aliyah (www.setapartwarrior.blogspot.co.za)

• Barbie says:

I am so sorry for that experience, but I’m so thankful you were so quick to take it to the Father. Sadly, I find more judgemental “Christians” these days than not. I am sure it grieves God’s heart. Have a blessed week.

3. Susan Wright says:

I love it – “Unsolicited advice is the junk mail of life.”
    I’ve told my adult kiddos that I reserve the right to say anything once to them. Now I realize that even that one time could be one time too many. So I am learning to pray much, much more than I talk.

• Barbie says:

I have the same experience with my adult children, one still living in our home. They really don’t want our advice, unless they as for it. I spend lots of time praying before speaking too Susan.

4. Ellen says:

I love these statements: “I want to be a letter that is read with an open heart and an open mind. I want my story to be a testimony to all who read.” I feel the same. I hope I am not in someone’s “junk mail” for I don’t want it to be that way. Thanks for sharing this. I have started reading your Embrace series too and love how you have incorporated the five minute prompts into your writing.

• Barbie says:

Thank you Ellen. It hasn’t always been easy to incorporate the words into my series, but so far I’m on target. Thanks for stopping by.

5. Tara says:

THIS: “I don’t want to be unopened mail sitting on someone’s counter. I want to be a letter that is read with an open heart and an open mind. I want my story to be a testimony to all who read.”

6. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh how I LOVE that you had a creative and different take on Mail! This is GREAT, my friend!

7. Lori says:

Enjoyed reading your thought and the quote is unusual. Where do you get the quotes from? Nice comparison.

• Barbie says:

Thanks for visiting Lori. I find the quotes on the internet. My series is 31 days of Embrace, sharing quotes and images to wake up your soul. The hard part is I find the quote i like then I must write around it. This one proved challenging.

8. Charis says:

So much wisdom in this post. “I don’t want to be unopened mail sitting on someone’s counter…” Amen! Me neither!

9. Somer says:

This is convicting. And one I need to be more careful to put into practice. Definitely puts us in our place

10. Tammy says:

Such creative writing!! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

11. Barbie, I love your words of wisdom, and the comment about advice. Blessings my friend. Diana.

12. June says:

Well said, friend! I always try to listen more than I talk. It benefits all involved! 🙂

13. Cheryl says:

It takes wisdom to know when and where and how to communicate in love–especially if the words aren’t asked for. There is a time for unsolicited words, but, that should be the exception.
    Prayer, lots of prayer is a must. Waiting and listening to the Lord too. Even when the advice is asked for, prayer and listing to the Lord is essential.
    I need to pray and listen more. I’m a speak first kind of girl, but I want to be a pray and listen first girl.
    I don’t want anyone to have my “junk mail” advice.
    Great take on the word.

14. Good thoughts, Barbie!! As always, you share words of wisdom and inspiration! Thank you for your words!!

Though late…I am reading a few of the posts from the past few days. I’ll get my posts up-to-date soon…I have a plan AND a busy week!!!