Embrace Day 27 // Five Minute Free Writes “Bouquet”
Today I’m writing Day 27 of my 31 days of Embrace series from October. I’m still plugging along and am almost finished. Thank you for being here. Be sure to link up a post if you’d like this week so that I can come visit you.
I’ve lived long enough to know that not every day can be embraced as a beautiful day. But we have the ability to make every day beautiful.
A couple of years ago I had lost my job. At the same time my husband was also unemployed. It was a very scary time for us. I remember going to Trader Joes on a Monday (as I often did) and taking note of the beautiful bouquet of flowers and how fragrant they were. I remember how they made me smile. I knew I shouldn’t have spent the money, but I ended up purchasing a bouquet of flowers for myself, just because.
Those flowers brought me so much joy. They served to remind me of a three simple truths:
There is beauty in the world. You may not always see it. Most often you have to really look for it. But it’s there. God has a way of putting in right under our noses so that we can find it.
God’s fragrance covers our pain. The fragrance of those flowers was so strong and it filled my home. I was reminded that even though I was walking through intense emotional pain, the fragrance of Christ permeated my home, my family and my situation. Every time I smelled the bouquet I was reminded that He was with me.
I am worthy to receive His beauty. Every Monday while I was laid off I visited my local Trader Joes and purchased a bouquet of flowers for myself. They brightened my day as they graced my table, filling my home with the fragrance of Christ. Every time I looked at them I was reminded that I am worthy to receive His beauty.
The next time you are having a hard time, go and buy yourself some flowers and be reminded that there is beauty to be found, and that God is with you.
And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.
191. A “new-to-use” van.
192. Holiday scents.
193. New responsibility at my job.
194. A boss and co-workers I love to see every day.
195. Food, fun and fellowship with friends.
196. Completing Cleansing Stream and looking forward to the next step in my healing.
197. Friends who offer sound advice.
198. Allowing myself to step away from the computer and social media to rest.
199. My daughter submitting her application for her overseas summer trip.
200. My beautiful new home on the web.
*I have to say a huge thank you to Merri Dennis who is responsible for making my home look so beautiful. I am completely in love with it. If you are in need of a new design or tech help, Merri is your gal.
This post is part of a 31 Day series entitled Embrace, where I will be sharing images, quotes and words that I hope will stir your soul. You can find each post in this series here. Together, let’s embrace every day and the beauty that each one holds.
The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. My hope is that those who were linking up on Saturday over the weekend will still have an opportunity to do so.
I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!
It is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find one another’s posts.