16 In Glimpses

Embrace Day 27 // Five Minute Free Writes “Bouquet”

Today I’m writing Day 27 of my 31 days of Embrace series from October. I’m still plugging along and am almost finished. Thank you for being here. Be sure to link up a post if you’d like this week so that I can come visit you.

embrace_day27_bouquet

I’ve lived long enough to know that not every day can be embraced as a beautiful day. But we have the ability to make every day beautiful.

A couple of years ago I had lost my job. At the same time my husband was also unemployed. It was a very scary time for us. I remember going to Trader Joes on a Monday (as I often did) and taking note of the beautiful bouquet of flowers and how fragrant they were.  I remember how they made me smile. I knew I shouldn’t have spent the money, but I ended up purchasing a bouquet of flowers for myself, just because.

Those flowers brought me so much joy. They served to remind me of a three simple truths:

There is beauty in the world. You may not always see it. Most often you have to really look for it. But it’s there. God has a way of putting in right under our noses so that we can find it.

God’s fragrance covers our pain. The fragrance of those flowers was so strong and it filled my home. I was reminded that even though I was walking through intense emotional pain, the fragrance of Christ permeated my home, my family and my situation. Every time I smelled the bouquet I was reminded that He was with me.

I am worthy to receive His beauty. Every Monday while I was laid off I visited my local Trader Joes and purchased a bouquet of flowers for myself. They brightened my day as they graced my table, filling my home with the fragrance of Christ. Every time I looked at them I was reminded that I am worthy to receive His beauty.

When life gets hard, you need a little bouquet of flowers to brighten your day. #FMFW… Click To Tweet

The next time you are having a hard time, go and buy yourself some flowers and be reminded that there is beauty to be found, and that God is with you.

And now I continue to list the beauty that I’m finding in my every day life.

Glimpses #191-200

191.  A “new-to-use” van.
192. Holiday scents.
193. New responsibility at my job.
194. A boss and co-workers I love to see every day.
195. Food, fun and fellowship with friends.
196. Completing Cleansing Stream and looking forward to the next step in my healing.
197. Friends who offer sound advice.
198. Allowing myself to step away from the computer and social media to rest.
199. My daughter submitting her application for her overseas summer trip.
200. My beautiful new home on the web.

*I have to say a huge thank you to Merri Dennis who is responsible for making my home look so beautiful. I am completely in love with it. If you are in need of a new design or tech help, Merri is your gal.

embrace_150This post is part of a 31 Day series entitled Embrace, where I will be sharing images, quotes and words that I hope will stir your soul. You can find each post in this series here. Together, let’s embrace every day and the beauty that each one holds.

The Glimpses link up will open at 12:01 AM (PST) each Monday, and will remain open through Noon on Saturday. My hope is that those who were linking up on Saturday over the weekend will still have an opportunity to do so.

I am looking forward to reading your posts and visiting your blogs this week!

Blooming lavender in a field at sunset in Provence, FranceIt is time to share the glimpses of beauty found this week.
Words written, gratitude given, photos taken, things created — anything that reflects the beauty of God revealed in your ordinary life.
1. Grab the button to place in your post, or simply link back here.
2. Link up with the post permalink, and not just your blog url.
3. Visit and encourage others who link up. We need each other!
4. Share about the link up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
5. Use the hashtag #glimpsesofhisbeauty so that we can find one another’s posts.

Kym
    November 21, 2016 at 5:23 am

So true that not every day is beautiful, but that we can find beauty in every day, and we can make our days beautiful. Good reminder! Have a blessed week!

November 21, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Thanks Kym. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Michele Morin
    November 21, 2016 at 5:27 am

As I’ve said before, Barbie, I’m amazed at all you do with the appearance of your blog. Certainly an inspiration to me!

November 21, 2016 at 8:00 am

Thank you Michele. I can’t take credit for this one. I love my new home.

Lillian Stevens
    November 21, 2016 at 7:07 am

Your blog theme looks wonderful Barbie!

Thank you for allowing us to link up! It’s greatly appreciated!

November 21, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Thank you Lillian. Love having you at the link up!

Mitzi
    November 21, 2016 at 8:17 am

I love that you went out and bought flowers for yourself every week to remind yourself of the beauty of life, despite the circumstances. Beautiful share!

November 21, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Thanks Mitzi. Have a beautiful Thanksgiving!

Joy Lenton
    November 21, 2016 at 8:25 am

What a great idea to buy yourself flowers to cheer your heart, Barbie! It would do the same for me too. They also spoke of far more than their intrinsic beauty and fragrance, reminding you of God’s goodness and grace. I LOVE the new look here! You’ve done wonders with it. Thank you for sharing how it was achieved, for inspiring our thoughts and for granting us the privilege of linking our words with yours. Bless you, friend! xo

November 21, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Joy, I cannot take credit for my beautiful new space here. Merri Dennis is the creative one behind it. I love my new home. I love that you come and link your words to mine each week. Have a beautiful Thanksgiving!

Gayl
    November 21, 2016 at 9:17 am

I used to think I couldn’t afford to buy flowers for myself, but like you, I’ve found that it’s well worth it because of the joy and beauty they bring into our home. It’s not just having the flowers, but the reminders of God’s love and beauty.

I love your new website, so clean and fresh and lovely! Thank you for your encouragement to keep embracing every day looking for the beauty.

Blessings to you!

November 21, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Thanks so much Gayle. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

June
    November 21, 2016 at 10:02 am

Love the new look, Barbie! and I love that you buy flowers for yourself. That definitely falls into the “you’re worth it” category!

November 21, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by June. Have a beautiful Thanksgiving.

Trudy
    November 21, 2016 at 10:34 am

I love the three truths you share, Barbie. Yes, you are definitely worth those flowers. 🙂 I have never done that, but then again, my sinuses and lungs don’t handle flower scents very well. Maybe I should consider buying myself something else that’s special. It’s so hard for me to feel “worth it.” I love the new look! 🙂 Have a blessed Thanksgiving! Hugs!

November 21, 2016 at 10:54 pm

You are definately worth treating yourself to something beautiful. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!